• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I messaged about 13 people last night and got 4-5 replies today. I don't think about opening lines, I just look at something in their profile I want to talk about. One girl saw Stardust so I said to her "I thought I was the only one who saw Stardust! I tell my friends about it and they look at me like I'm crazy." This led to a conversation about Robert DeNiro, Firefly, Doctor Who and Torchwood, D&D, Magic the Gathering, and nerdcore hip hop. She's actually listening to my stuff on SoundCloud as we speak.

With another girl, I talked about tattoos. She's not as responsive as the girl above, but it's still a decent conversation.

Another girl I identified the camera she was using in one of her pictures, noticed she is going to school for photo journalism, and interned at a music magazine. My opening was something along the lines of "I love the 5D love in your photo! What lenses do you regularly use?" yadda yadda. Her reply back was a comment about how I picked up on the camera by its body and we messaged back and forth about music, magazines, and filmmaking.

You have to remember that women are human and share the exact same interests as you. Also remember that people like to talk about themselves. Just talk to them like normal. You don't have to craft some weird, epic paragraph to hook anyone.

Oh, to help with replies, sort your matches by their match percentage and friend level then just cruise and figure out who you want to talk to. That really helps.
Maybe it's a luck/situation thing, since this is basically what I do. Oh well.

beanman25

Thought this girl was done responding to me, then she messages me last night saying I wouldn't like her because she isn't as pretty as Shakira. Completely out of nowhere, and I have no idea what to say, haha.

Thought this girl was done responding to me, then she messages me last night saying I wouldn't like her because she isn't as pretty as Shakira. Completely out of nowhere, and I have no idea what to say, haha.

Send her a link to Prince's song: Kiss

You don't have to be beautiful to turn me on
I just need your body baby
From dusk till dawn
You don't need experience
To turn me out
You just leave it all up to me
I'm gonna show you what it's all about

Az987

all good things

Tell her that's not true because your hips dont lie.

Pacbois

My experiences on OkC were quite disappointing for now. One girl I had bad sex with, another one who seemed really into me, we met at a festival and ending the night making out but then went into radio silence, and a lot of nice conversations that went pretty much nowhere.

But then, a few days ago, a pretty cute and cool girl sent me a Message. We exchaged quite a lot in the last few days, pretty cool exchanges. Funny stuff, we're both French, but we chat in English. Just for fun apparently.

My hope in this site is restored ! (For now...)

mjc

My experiences on OkC were quite disappointing for now. One girl I had bad sex with, another one who seemed really into me, we met at a festival and ending the night making out but then went into radio silence, and a lot of nice conversations that went pretty much nowhere.

But then, a few days ago, a pretty cute and cool girl sent me a Message. We exchaged quite a lot in the last few days, pretty cool exchanges. Funny stuff, we're both French, but we chat in English. Just for fun apparently.

My hope in this site is restored ! (For now...)

Goes to show, don't give up because of some bad apples. It might suck for awhile but you'll find someone new to talk to. Good job!

Ashhong

Wow, that's kind of mean. I've seen good and bad girls on both OKC and POF. I prefer POF and don't even bother with OKC anymore.

Why is it mean? For my area at least the selection is nowhere near as good.

Mainly it's the site layout that I can't stand though. It's just so outdated and unorganized.

Az987

all good things
Why is it mean? For my area at least the selection is nowhere near as good.

Mainly it's the site layout that I can't stand though. It's just so outdated and unorganized.

You just made it sound like all the girls are terrible on POF.

jdogmoney

Okay, well, most of the women on OkCupid in my area don't seem to be my cup of tea, so I'll consider this a trial period until I move to a real city (hopefully, end of summer).

If you guys and girls wouldn't mind taking a look and offering me tips on improving my profile, I would appreciate it: http://www.okcupid.com/profile/jdogmoney/

I can write something that will fit pretty much any need, but I don't know the culture of the site well enough to know what I need to write. If that makes sense.

strata8

So I decided to sign up to Okcupid yesterday. Added a relatively attractive picture, filled out my profile, answered about 100 questions, etc.

Yesterday I had two visitors who I weren't really interested in (one was a girl from a different city and the other was a straight guy), but today a pretty cute 20-year-old visited my profile. We had an 88% match so I checked out her page and she seemed pretty cool. Maybe not doing a whole lot with her life but funny and quirky at least. I didn't want to contact her just yet, so I didn't leave a message or leave a rating.

Anyway, I come back 20 minutes later and she's deleted her profile. What the hell just happened?

crush7337

Banned
This "girl" who's a 19% match has looked at my profile 3 times in the past hour. Her profile's real short and just seems to be looking for casual sex. 1 picture up, but I reverse GIS'd it and nothing came up. Still probably a 95% chance that this is a dude though right?

Ashhong

So I decided to sign up to Okcupid yesterday. Added a relatively attractive picture, filled out my profile, answered about 100 questions, etc.

Yesterday I had two visitors who I weren't really interested in (one was a girl from a different city and the other was a straight guy), but today a pretty cute 20-year-old visited my profile. We had an 88% match so I checked out her page and she seemed pretty cool. Maybe not doing a whole lot with her life but funny and quirky at least. I didn't want to contact her just yet, so I didn't leave a message or leave a rating.

Anyway, I come back 20 minutes later and she's deleted her profile. What the hell just happened?

She decided against using the site. Not uncommon.

This "girl" who's a 19% match has looked at my profile 3 times in the past hour. Her profile's real short and just seems to be looking for casual sex. 1 picture up, but I reverse GIS'd it and nothing came up. Still probably a 95% chance that this is a dude though right?

No..why would a dude look at ur profile and not send some kind of troll message? Just message her and see what she says

I agree with Ashhong, it's worth a shot

crush7337

Banned
Plenty of horny girls like that on there. Whether they are crazy or not is the real question.

Yeah, not expecting a response anyway. Did start chatting with another tonight though and have her number already, its only a few hours, but I see promise (except for the fact she watches Two and a Half Men).

Maddocks

Average per week:
73 Visitors

I got the touch....I got the powerrrrrrrrrrrr

aka I use quickmatch a lot. if you 4-5 star a person it tells them, so it brings people to my profile because they want to see what crazy rated them 4 stars.

I really don't like the whole message system. Not the system itself but not knowing if I'm pressing, and always having to be the one to initiate something. There is only one girl I'm messaging with and we have already met, and she hasn't acted any differently since then so I don't think it went bad but damn! I'm swinging in the dark over here.

Did he reference making it rain?

Was it Timedog?

No a timedog message looks like this.

03igw.jpg

Wat. How? Are you consistently updating things or answering questions?

I usually just answer 5-10 questions a day.

Going to start quickmatching like my man Maddocks here as well. I usually just five star any girl who catches my fancy but I'm going to switch it up for quickmatch.

* = Fat
** = Not fat but hideous
*** = Not fat, not hideous, but not attractive.
**** = Would consider talking to
***** = Girlfriend material

I think this is pretty generous.

81 views a week? WHAT THE FUCK

Used to be in the 90s. Only been at it for three weeks or so though, so I would not be surprised to see it slide even further.

I average about two messages (unsolicited) a day. Usually fat girls.

I miss my abusive ex-girlfriend. ha ha (sobs).

Maddocks

The only issue with quicksearch is that I rapid fire through them sometimes. What I mean is that I 4 star people just because without actually reading them. I think I have 4 stared at least 3 transexuals because of my rapid fire rating lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom