• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddocks

I'd just omit that last sentence.

lol I only do it because half the time I'm never going to message them and with my track record on the site even if I did message them, they would just ignore it. I look at the match% and friend% though. I have gotten lucky with rapid fire ratings though, I have got a few messages from girls using this method. But its not advised. Unless you just want to break into 100 views a week.

Ohwiseone

I don't get any messages, however I'm not worried, sometimes it takes a bit.

I'm doing the rapid-fire thing, today is the first time I'm doing it so.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Arggh!

I met this girl who was pretty damn hot (she looks like a cross between Katy Perry and that Zoe chick from New Girl), who also seemed really friendly and cordial. We had a little back and forth going and she wasn't one of those people that gives a one word reply when you message them (if they reply at all). She wrote paragraphs! But then, all of sudden she just stopped. For seemingly no reason. Hell, her last post was asking me a question about something. I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything creepy, so what the hell? :(

I also dropped a shitload into quickmatch just for fun. Let's see how much my visitor rating goes up tomorrow!

What's quickmatch?

Arggh!

I met this girl who was pretty damn hot (she looks like a cross between Katy Perry and that Zoe chick from New Girl), who also seemed really friendly and cordial. We had a little back and forth going and she wasn't one of those people that gives a one word reply when you message them (if they reply at all). She wrote paragraphs! But then, all of sudden she just stopped. For seemingly no reason. Hell, her last post was asking me a question about something. I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything creepy, so what the hell? :(

How many back and forths did you have? What you did wrong may have been not falicitating the conversation towards getting a number or actually making a date. I tend to ask for a number between 3-5 replies, you got to sound interested beyond just chatting.
What's quickmatch?

It allows you to rate profiles in quick succession

Oblivion

How many back and forths did you have? What you did wrong may have been not falicitating the conversation towards getting a number or actually making a date. I tend to ask for a number between 3-5 replies, you got to sound interested beyond just chatting.

Counting the last message I sent her, 5 (3 for me, two for her).

I've found that the ones who I do get a chance to get their number from, occurred after sending far more than 5 messages.

It allows you to rate profiles in quick succession

Ah. Is it on the free version?

Oblivion

Oh, also do any of you have premium accounts? I was thinking of taking the plunge, for at least a month anyway.

Oh, also do any of you have premium accounts? I was thinking of taking the plunge, for at least a month anyway.

I do. Whenever I get back on the wagon it's useful for making re-building my favorites list by sorting for the 4 and 5 star girls. The stealth browsing is good for bringing down your creep factor in the eyes of girls. That's about it though, have to agree with what others stated before, it's not exactly bringing a lot of value to the table. Only a few bucks though so fuck it.

Arggh!

What's quickmatch?

This happens all the time on OkCupid, even after you get a phone number and a tentative date set up. It's a fucking bummer (witness what happened to me earlier) particularly when the girl is clearly AWESOME but you have to harden your heart to it.

Basically just send some kind of last-ditch callback-to-your-previous-conversations in-joke to her, if she doesn't reply to that, remove from favorites and "hide" her (you'll still be able to see if she sends you any messages, but it's helpful for both narrowing your search results and helping you forget your failure). Cut off all contact.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So there is this very gorgeous girl who replied to my message (which is pretty rare in my case to begin with, most girls never reply), made her laugh, but she said she already have 3 dates scheduled and if it doesn't work out with them, then we'll see. She also said "good luck with your search, you look very interesting! :)" and left with that.

Am i getting my hopes up for nothing? I mean, she already have 3 dates. What are the chances that her 3 dates won't satisfy her? :p

Ashodin

So there is this very gorgeous girl who replied to my message (which is pretty rare in my case to begin with, most girls never reply), made her laugh, but she said she already have 3 dates scheduled and if it doesn't work out with them, then we'll see. She also said "good luck with your search, you look very interesting! :)" and left with that.

Am i getting my hopes up for nothing? I mean, she already have 3 dates. What are the chances that her 3 dates won't satisfy her? :p

That she even looked might give you some hope.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
That she even looked might give you some hope.

I know, but... 3 dates, that's going to take a while before i even get a reply from her, if those dates doesn't work for her. I doubt someone can do 3 dates in 3 days, especially with New Year around the corner. Guess i'll have to wait at least a week minimum, and that is if she ever reply back. =/

Bisnic
Boring Member
(Today, 12:39 PM)

Lol screw you. Fucking tag quotes. :p

Counting the last message I sent her, 5 (3 for me, two for her).

I've found that the ones who I do get a chance to get their number from, occurred after sending far more than 5 messages.

I'm not talking specifically to you, but I always find it weird that people wait a while to ask for a number. I don't think many people take it as being forward, just a way to further meaningful conversation. So usually at message 3 i'll say something like "just gonna make some tea, wanna text instead?". It just helps single you out a bit from the stream of messages on okc.
Ah. Is it on the free version?

It is. Tbh I wouldn't waste my money upgrading. If you wanna pay, it might be better to try a site like match.com. I hear alot of people use it exclusively to weed scammers and jokers.

Mine is currently 41 which is the lowest it's been - it's normally in the 50s-60s. Highest was something like 130.

I got 23 messages this month which is pretty typical for me.

Wow they message you out of the blue? Only had a few like that for me, though recently I changed my profile pic and I'm getting way more visitors now. The problem is I live in an awful area for this. Ive thought about changing my location to a nearby city.

Got my first message this morning, from a girl that I think is pretty awesome. So, I am excited.

go get em' tiger

ilsCTDztlJPne.gif

Wow they message you out of the blue? Only had a few like that for me, though recently I changed my profile pic and I'm getting way more visitors now. The problem is I live in an awful area for this. Ive thought about changing my location to a nearby city.

I'm a girl. But yeh I very rarely initiate communication (can't actually remember the last time I did!).

So I was talking with someone and it forced me to remember how I was with the bfs during the hooking up stage. And I gotta say, if someone is really interested in you and not just settling, they will readily communicate with you and genuinely go out of their way to try to meet up with you and or set it up. Just puttin' that out there. Don't waste your time on someone halfassing it.

Oxn

So I was talking with someone and it forced me to remember how I was with the bfs during the hooking up stage. And I gotta say, if someone is really interested in you and not just settling, they will readily communicate with you and genuinely go out of their way to try to meet up with you and or set it up. Just puttin' that out there. Don't waste your time on someone halfassing it.

Word

Ashodin

Straight up, this is great advice, and some I already use in my endeavors.

Basically: Don't waste time on people who don't make time for you.

Az987

all good things
I don't think my profession as a philospher is getting me much play. I added I make 12.50 a thought but it didn't help.

Would it be better if I put I work at McDonalds even if I don't?

Maddocks

I never actually put my occupation on the site. I put I make over a million a year, and what im doing with my life says I sell cocaine for the mexican mob.

if the girl asks then I tell them,but im never open about it.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Thank god for the ability to compare questions. Looking at a profile and think "Okay she's cute and seems pretty interesting, lets check out some of her answers".

Just on the first page -

Do you think it is possible for someone to be an Atheist and still have a solid moral framework by which to live?
No.

Do you think homosexuality is a sin?
Yes

-_-

I'm not even an atheist, but still... /sigh

Ohwiseone

She never replied from this morning, I'm not worried though. Kinda happy my stupid corny opening actually got a reply.

So, hey confidence is building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom