• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

No worries! Like I said, I promise pictures for Real Pic January and this thread crossposted.

I make damn sure that whatever I get into is legit. I know how these things can go sometimes.

Ashodin

Possibly. Checking for imgur code from phone:

2V7SB.gif

I've thought about it - but I imagine I would get a lot more nasty replies than if I kept it to this thread, so I'd rather not. And there would be much more who would think this is a joke thread or joke poster.

If you're providing pics then that will shut the haters up, but i think this whole thing would make a great thread dude

Saw a girl's profile that began with "Yes, I'm fat." I felt bad for her: must've taken a lot of stupid comments and insults to make her write that.

elaborate

Well I guess I shouldn't say I got hit by one, but definitely had a scammer try to do so.

I got a message from a girl, saying she wanted to get to know each other. Not quite my type but whatever, I messaged her back then she wanted to move to email. I gave her one of my email addresses and then she sent this:

Let me start by wishing you a Happy New Year. I am glad we could make it to this stage of email where we are able to exchange communication. The most important things to start communication are honesty,trust and constant communication. Some of your answers could tell me who you are and describes your aspiration. I will try to be open with you,tell you everything about me.

Here is a little about me...
I was born in IL and later moved to Brazil when i was 7years because, my mom is from Brazil and my dad from the States. I lost her due to the illness,i missed her so much and still have the shock of her death in my memory. I went to the University of Sao Paulo, Brazil.

I am a nurse working for Mercy Corps. Its an humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters. We also provide nutritional and epidemiological surveillance to tens of thousand of people over 70 countries throughout the world. My job draws me closer to children. I love my job and hope to continue helping the poor and the sick.

I am currently in Africa, Nigeria mobilizing the ongoing Chadian war from the neighboring countries. My vacation starts next week and i will be coming home for my vacation. I can go any where during my vacation.

It has been 3 years since my last relationship. I gave my heart to someone I shouldn't have and paid the price. What is your ideal of romantic date? For me,I love to cuddle while sitting on the couch. I like to go bowling,hunting,hiking and i can dance salsa real good.

How long have been to the site? I am new to this, my best friend introduced it to me because it works for her. So, I decided to give it a try since I believe its until you put yourself out there, that you can experience the real world of love with the right man there waiting since I am not a fan of the bar or club scene.

Red flags went up all over the place, but I kept it going in a non-commital fashion. She was able to Yahoo IM me, and said that she was going to becoming back to the States today. I had totally forgotten about it due to work, and she messages me earlier:

Scammer: Hi, How is your day going?
Me: I'm good, busy day. You?
Scammer: Good, similar. I have been sad and stressed here though.
Me: Oh, why?
Scammer: I should have been home but there is a problem her about my vacation:( [sic]
Me: What happened?
Scammer: When we were coming here, we have [sic] been paid in checks with our allowances and expenses inclusive. So I went to the bank here today to cash my check so that I can buy my flight ticket home ahead of weekend but to my surprise, i was told that I have to get to the States before I could :(
(at this point I basically know it's a scam but still want to play it out mainly for my own edification. I don't respond)
Scammer: You still there?
Me: Hmmm... Yeah. Sorry. Is the agency helping?
Scammer: Nope, they are not at all. This place is like a hell an I really hate just about everything here. I have never heard this before that they can't cash a check but they said its because this place is a third world country and that they don't have the facilities to cash it here. :(
Me: You could try going to the US embassy or FedEx your check to a US bank then withdraw the funds from an ATM. Didn't the company secure a round trip ticket as conditions of a work visa?
Scammer: They didn't and this is because they didn't expect everybody to go back to the same place since we all didn't come fom the US. Its a one way ticket we came with and thats why we were already paid so that everyone can go to where they like for vacation. [sic] You understand now?
Me: I see.
Scammer: I was hoping you could borrow me the remaining money and I will refund you as soon as I get there. This will mean a lot to me.
Me: Don't contact me again.

So yeah, that was the end of that. Just be careful guys, this dude was probably in a rush since the messages were only over a week or two, and I was really not that into it. But I've read stories of these scams extending out over months, with phone calls, Skyping (getting female associates involved) etc. If something doesn't smell right, don't get blinded.

equap

Banned
any success with a second message after a girl visited your profile but didn't reply? should i even bother? what should I say?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, c'mon now. Any time you see a hot chick on those sites that looks kinda foreign, tells you to contact her via Yahoo Messenger, and her profile or messages have incorrect grammar such as comma's then no space after it, "blah blah blah,and then" and never mention anything specific about where they currently live, it's a scammer. Also, if they never list what school they went to, favorite places by name (not Italy, Europe, Vegas) like a specific restaurant, bar, etc, those are also red flags.

Maddocks

Guys, c'mon now. Any time you see a hot chick on those sites that looks kinda foreign, tells you to contact her via Yahoo Messenger, and her profile or messages have incorrect grammar such as comma's then no space after it, "blah blah blah,and then" and never mention anything specific about where they currently live, it's a scammer. Also, if they never list what school they went to, favorite places by name (not Italy, Europe, Vegas) like a specific restaurant, bar, etc, those are also red flags.

nothing beats the first line of the profile saying,"not in the country yet, but will be soon" and you clearly know she/he means,"I just haven't scammed enough money yet for my vacation, but soon"

I've been browsing this thread for a while, haven't posted yet. I haven't gone out on a date in a few years, lots of various reasons caused this.

Lately I've been talking to a few girls in person, haven't hit up any dating sites yet. Not really any luck in person but its completely weird for me to be doing this so I'm kinda forcing myself to leave my comfort zone.

I'm gonna give the online stuff a shot soon, gotta get off my ass and make some profiles.

I'm awkward as shit but kind of know what I need to work on. I was watching a bunch of different vids on youtube (real social dynamics, simple pickup, the game, etc). I like the good info these vids give on posture, eye contact, self confidence, just all the normal things I'm clueless with.

A lot of topics in these vids are kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Most of the stuff "Mystery" has to say just doesn't click with me. His stuff seems slanted more towards random club hookups rather than how to approach a girl and chat her up at school/bookstore/etc. Am I alone in thinking this?

Yeah. To my defense, I briefly glanced at her profile when she sent me the message and the location said Chicago so I didn't really think much of it. (BTW the profile's no longer up.) I'm usually talking with like 3-4 girls anyways so it wasn't like I was devoting a lot of attention and time to "her." Plus doing what I do, I know a bunch of people in programs like Mercy Corp and DWB so it didn't strike me as weird at first. But the more I talked to "her" the more I realized that it was likely a scam, but I just wanted to play it out.

Those are usually pretty easy to spot, but I can see how some of these "long con" ones that go on for months to years could potentially be devastating to somebody, both financially and emotionally. I think everyone just needs to be cautious.

A lot of topics in these vids are kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Most of the stuff "Mystery" has to say just doesn't click with me. His stuff seems slanted more towards random club hookups rather than how to approach a girl and chat her up at school/bookstore/etc. Am I alone in thinking this?

I used to follow the PUA stuff a few years ago and yeah it's more for bars/clubs where your main goal is to stand out in a crowd and shit. The only advice I'd take from Mystery is the stuff regarding reading body language and exuding confidence. He also compares picking up women to video games in the sense that you basically have unlimited continues to get it right, so to experiement and have fun, and that's actually some of the best advice he gives for those who have a major fear of rejection. Easier said than done of course, but it's meant to be built up over time.

All that shit like 'neg theory' or whatever? Fuck that crap. Insulting pretty girls isn't the only way to look alpha to them. I've found it to be the shittiest way actually. Even when it worked I felt like a douche, which is exactly what that shit is.

I've been browsing this thread for a while, haven't posted yet. I haven't gone out on a date in a few years, lots of various reasons caused this.

Lately I've been talking to a few girls in person, haven't hit up any dating sites yet. Not really any luck in person but its completely weird for me to be doing this so I'm kinda forcing myself to leave my comfort zone.

I'm gonna give the online stuff a shot soon, gotta get off my ass and make some profiles.

I'm awkward as shit but kind of know what I need to work on. I was watching a bunch of different vids on youtube (real social dynamics, simple pickup, the game, etc). I like the good info these vids give on posture, eye contact, self confidence, just all the normal things I'm clueless with.

Have you tried Brent Smith's videos? You can find them on the OP of the Dating Age thread. He focuses more on self improvement as a means to get women and is much less "gimmicky" in his approach. I find that a lot more useful

Have you tried Brent Smith's videos? You can find them on the OP of the Dating Age thread. He focuses more on self improvement as a means to get women and is much less "gimmicky" in his approach. I find that a lot more useful

I just watched a few of them and he is amazing. I am going to be watching everything I can find from this guy. Thanks for the suggestion.

defel

Ive finally spent some time on my profile. Im too bogged down with work and will be over the next few months to be regularly going out so online dating seemed like a good way to go. Got a few good pictures up. I look good in all of them but there isnt enough diversity, its just 3-4 photos of me smiling at the camera in different locations. Want some more "action" photos of me doing activities and talking to people but I dont have any unfortunately.

My profile doesnt say anything explicit about me. Its just a questionnaire for the visitor where they answer a few multiple choice questions and at the end tally up their score to see their rating for me lol. Its super light-hearted and definitely unique. Ive had a few girls look at my profile so far, no messages but I dont expect the girls to message me. Messaged one with heavy flirting but got no response. Im going to send out a bunch of messages over the weekend. I just want a reaction from the girl so even if they're slightly insulting thats fine. I know online dating is just a numbers game and Im just gonna find my way through.

A friend of mine takes photos for a hobby so I might ask to get a photo shoot where my photos portray something more along the lines of "international man of mystery" than standard "night club" and evening photos.

defel

Also I know that a huge number of girls on there are doing it just for their ego. Make a profile and every evening check your emails to see how many guys have visited your profile without any intention of responding to them. I still find it difficult to look at peoples profiles though because Im reluctant to give them that ego boost. I suppose the game is the game.

Also I know that a huge number of girls on there are doing it just for their ego. Make a profile and every evening check your emails to see how many guys have visited your profile without any intention of responding to them. I still find it difficult to look at peoples profiles though because Im reluctant to give them that ego boost. I suppose the game is the game.

Bahahahahaha

Az987

all good things
nothing beats the first line of the profile saying,"not in the country yet, but will be soon" and you clearly know she/he means,"I just haven't scammed enough money yet for my vacation, but soon"

I haven't had that happen yet. I feel left out now.

Maybe its because my occupation on OKC is a student and on POF a philosopher.

Az987

all good things
The entire thing was a clever trick so the girl could get a hold of his GAF account because she has never been approved but he got banned so she murdered him for no reason.

I'm just playing, I hope hes not dead

Edit: IIRC didn't people in here think he was full of shit when this thread first started because he was claiming that he was the person in his pic and some of the things he were posting seemed really hard to believe?

Edit2: Oh wait, just read the thread and saw his youtube channel so I guess that is him but I do remember people still thinking he was lying.

The entire thing was a clever trick so the girl could get a hold of his GAF account because she has never been approved but he got banned so she murdered him for no reason.

So was that what it was? I had only read the thread last night and was rooting for the guy especially since I saw him mention geek 2 geek which I was hoping to try. Then came this morning and saw the thread had exploded into 30 pages and closed.

zlatko

Banned
I've been there.

Here's the question: Is she not the one or are you just not at a point in your life where you're ready for the one?

Because sometimes when we're young we just enjoy the chase and we can go through women who would be great for us like toilet paper. You need to determine if its your mentality that isn't ready for a long term commitment, and if its even worth it to change given your youth, or if she simply isn't the one, or maybe a combination of all of that.

This is really a good point I hadn't even considered, or my mind just didn't stick to this thought process long enough to start asking myself the right questions.

I've dated a decent pool of women in my life, but most of the relationships end in a month or two tops. This has been going on for almost 6 months, and I feel a lot of it has to do with 1) she's super nice and it's making me feel fuck awful to want to dump her because she hasn't really done anything wrong and 2) I want to make sure it isn't ME that's ruining these relationships to cause them to end so quickly. I wanted to stay with her to learn more about myself in a more committed relationship.

I haven't had much sex experience. This is the third girl I've slept with ever, and this is the only one of those 3 that I've smanged more than once with the previous too. We have a healthy sex life, so for me to finally have that and to give it up unfortunately is scary to me. I went so long without it, that I don't want to lose it only because I'm not the kind of guy who just hooks up with girls. I've always wanted to sleep with women I'm only dating. Personal choice really.

I'll need to do more thinking before I do let her go if that's where I'm really at. She's wonderful, she loves me, and I know she'd do anything for me...I'm just not sure if I can feel that level of commitment for her ever, or if it's just a matter of time. Hell, maybe I'm just catching her in the wrong part of my life.

Thanks for the advice as always GAF.

Oh and shit sucks for Ashodin. I need to go read that thread that lead to the ban...

So was that what it was? I had only read the thread last night and was rooting for the guy especially since I saw him mention geek 2 geek which I was hoping to try. Then came this morning and saw the thread had exploded into 30 pages and closed.

30? I think it ended at 65, I would reply to someone and I'd be on the next page. It was insane

omfg, those Youtube videos in the other thread. Is he that same guy that posted in this thread last year of how he was getting endless sex from someone from okc?

I asked a girl out this weekend. She said she'd have to take a rain check, since work hit her with some stuff at the last minute. But then she continued the conversation.

At what point should I try to move this onto texting if I'm planning on asking her out for next weekend?

What is text protocol, so I don't text too much and seem too eager? Never texted with someone that I haven't met.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom