• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I'm so lonely. I just cant connect with people. Ill be 29 in a few days. I might as well be 50 at this point. My 20s are gone and havent been able to do shit. I knew this was coming but still feels like crap.

I can't believe Ashodin was banned. The mod who doled the hammer could have at least updated the audience! I stayed up all night in that thread. Grumble grumble, I demand a satisfactory conclusion!

It was still great while it lasted

So I just got a message from OKC asking if I'd be interested in moderating users for trolls/fake profiles/flagged content. Five minutes in, and I'm inundated with close-up pics of boobs and dicks (thankfully on different profiles), and reading some of the worst pick-up lines I've ever seen.

This site, man.

TxdoHawk

I'm so lonely. I just cant connect with people. Ill be 29 in a few days. I might as well be 50 at this point. My 20s are gone and havent been able to do shit. I knew this was coming but still feels like crap.

Don't give up dude. You are only as old and washed-up as you feel and act. I'm 30, perpetually single, not a great-looking dude by any stretch of the imagination, and I just hit it off real well with rebound girl (mentioned last page).

Remember: Women can smell an attitude, good or bad, from miles away. Just enjoy your life, and if you are a genuine and happy person, people will see that and you'll eventually find the kind of people you want to spend time with.

I asked a girl out this weekend. She said she'd have to take a rain check, since work hit her with some stuff at the last minute. But then she continued the conversation.

At what point should I try to move this onto texting if I'm planning on asking her out for next weekend?

What is text protocol, so I don't text too much and seem too eager? Never texted with someone that I haven't met.

Asking for a new page.

Maddocks

I feel the same way. I met a girl had a great time, she wanted date number 2 and then 2 days later she said she only sees us as friends. I felt so defeated in the whole getting to know you process and date. I'm 29 also and the whole message process and text process has left me defeated. I just don't want to do it anymore.

But as a lonely person, I have to change my attitude and go in happy, because right now when I visit the site, I go in defeated.

Ashhong

Holy shit I missed the Ashodin thread. Can somebody summarize what happened? That shit is 60 pages long. I read something about people finding the girl's facebook? And I saw the youtube video of Ashodin as well, but was it a thread backfire or what?

And lol at those of you who told him to make the thread and that GAF would enjoy it ahahahaha

TxdoHawk

I asked a girl out this weekend. She said she'd have to take a rain check, since work hit her with some stuff at the last minute. But then she continued the conversation.

Good sign. Just keep talking to her.

At what point should I try to move this onto texting if I'm planning on asking her out for next weekend?

You've got time, and there's not a specific point, but you are probably fine if you've exchanged some messages back and forth, and are beyond the introductions. Don't even make a big deal out of it. Just be like "Hey, do you wanna text instead of message on this site? I can throw you my number if that's cool."

What is text protocol, so I don't text too much and seem too eager? Never texted with someone that I haven't met.

The rule of thumb is see how fast she responds, and text slower than that. If you find yourself sitting there waiting for her messages, put the phone down and distract yourself. If you are actually out doing stuff, even better. Just respond here and there. You don't have to really overthink this, but the main gist is, don't sit there and immediately respond to every message, especially if she's not doing the same.

Holy shit I missed the Ashodin thread. Can somebody summarize what happened? That shit is 60 pages long. I read something about people finding the girl's facebook? And I saw the youtube video of Ashodin as well, but was it a thread backfire or what?

And lol at those of you who told him to make the thread and that GAF would enjoy it ahahahaha

Posted about it. People found her profile on gk2gk. Acknowledged it was her. Said he'd have pics. Didn't deliver. Photoshops were made. I posted his youtube he tried to shill on gaf. Others went too far and started facebook stalking. Thread got closed. Bish made a new thread with a warning and sunhi completed the journey with an epic youtube.

Ashhong

Posted about it. People found her profile on gk2gk. Acknowledged it was her. Said he'd have pics. Didn't deliver. Photoshops were made. I posted his youtube he tried to shill on gaf. Others went too far and started facebook stalking. Thread got closed. Bish made a new thread with a warning and sunhi completed the journey with an epic youtube.

How did people find her gk2gk? Did he put a picture of her in the thread? Looks like I have to scroll through that thread..

Oh and I have a date set up for Sunday that I'm actually excited about. Been texting quite a bit and she's really nice. Without sounding too shallow, I hope that there is a physical attraction. Hard to tell from pics.

How did people find her gk2gk? Did he put a picture of her in the thread? Looks like I have to scroll through that thread..

Oh and I have a date set up for Sunday that I'm actually excited about. Been texting quite a bit and she's really nice. Without sounding too shallow, I hope that there is a physical attraction. Hard to tell from pics.

Mentioned her location and race. Some posters narrowed it down. He confirmed and stated that she knew of the thread and everything was peachy with her.

Ashhong

Well how will we ever find out what happens now :( Did anybody have his OKC profile? hahaha

edit: omg just saw the sunhi youtube video. Only at GAF lol

Good sign. Just keep talking to her.

You've got time, and there's not a specific point, but you are probably fine if you've exchanged some messages back and forth, and are beyond the introductions. Don't even make a big deal out of it. Just be like "Hey, do you wanna text instead of message on this site? I can throw you my number if that's cool."

The rule of thumb is see how fast she responds, and text slower than that. If you find yourself sitting there waiting for her messages, put the phone down and distract yourself. If you are actually out doing stuff, even better. Just respond here and there. You don't have to really overthink this, but the main gist is, don't sit there and immediately respond to every message, especially if she's not doing the same.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to bring it to text soon. She messaged me last night, and I haven't replied yet. We seem to have a lot in common, so if/when I mess this up, it's going to suck.

Az987

all good things
Damn, I just sent out some gems and not even a reply so far.

One girl was black and she had that she only dates black guys but not too light skinned either. I asked if I was too light skinned. I'm white, how did that not get a laugh?

One had as her headline Why is it hard to find a man so I sent her:

Its hard to find a man on here because everyone except me is actually a fish in a man suit but now you can end your search since I told you the truth about POF. Well unless you're into fish. If you are thats cool I don't judge... Whatever floats your boat.

Common, floats your boat, plenty of fish? That's hilarious!

And then one had as her headline Where have all the good people gone? so I sent her:

I see you're wondering where all the good people. Well they're all in my basement tied up so that they can't compete with me in the semi-annual Good People Awards. Don't tell anyone okay because if the judges find out they might think I'm actually bad. I'll split the prize with you if you don't. Deal?

She didn't look at my profile yet so there might be a chance and if she asks what's the prize I'm going to tell her its a carton of milk.

I'm bored, this is how I amuse myself.

TxdoHawk

Damn, I just sent out some gems and not even a reply so far

Humor does work sometimes, but women are picky about their taste in jokes. You'd think they'd just be happy to get messages that aren't HURR HURR YOU HOT WANNA HAVE SEX based on how much they complain.

So far, I think my favorite method as far as "effort expended vs. messages received back" is the following:

- Rate women you want to talk to four or five stars. This only takes one click and will send them an email that you have done so.

- If they message you, boom, you're in.

- If they look at your profile, you at least know that they are active on the site and potentially interested. Message them.

- If they don't even look at your profile, don't bother messaging them.

This lets me quickly weed out a lot of women and get to the chicks that will potentially respond. You still will get lots of women that don't respond, but I find that this helps my reply rate immensely.

We seem to have a lot in common, so if/when I mess this up, it's going to suck.

The number one thing I can tell you: Don't get your hopes attached to any one particular person. Dating websites are where men throw the line out fifty to a hundred times, and hope the one or two they reel back are keepers.

Even if you are having a good conversation with one girl, go message some others. One, it'll give you excuses not to constantly focus on one girl, which is good, women like guys that seem to be busy (if you are perceived as having less free time, it makes your contact with that specific girl more meaningful.) Two, if one girl falls through, having other conversations going means you won't be immediately back in the rut of searching with no one to talk to.

zlatko

Banned
After getting caught up on the Ashodin thread, all I can say is GODDDDDAAAAAAAMN!

GAF is too real. When GAF detectives come in, they go in hard.

Maddocks

Detective-GAF does not come here as conquerors, but as liberators. He opened himself up to it and wanted it. He hid nothing, when he should have hid everything. He never should have made the thread.

But yeah, 4-5 star a girl, let her visit your profile, message her and profit.

The number one thing I can tell you: Don't get your hopes attached to any one particular person. Dating websites are where men throw the line out fifty to a hundred times, and hope the one or two they reel back are keepers.

Even if you are having a good conversation with one girl, go message some others. One, it'll give you excuses not to constantly focus on one girl, which is good, women like guys that seem to be busy (if you are perceived as having less free time, it makes your contact with that specific girl more meaningful.) Two, if one girl falls through, having other conversations going means you won't be immediately back in the rut of searching with no one to talk to.

I agree. The problem is that it's not really in my hands whether or not people reply to my messages. So when someone actually replies (and they're even someone that seems to share a lot in common with me), it's hard not to get my hopes up.

zlatko

Banned
Detective-GAF does not come here as conquerors, but as liberators. He opened himself up to it and wanted it. He hid nothing, when he should have hid everything. He never should have made the thread.

But yeah, 4-5 star a girl, let her visit your profile, message her and profit.

I've been on a starring and messaging spree the last few nights. Only replies from 3 good looking girls.

I'm always better in person, but I definitely don't suck at messages and online. It can, like many of you know, get really grating to message so many girls with solid messages and not get replies. Super bums me out. :p

Maddocks

I've been on a starring and messaging spree the last few nights. Only replies from 3 good looking girls.

I'm always better in person, but I definitely don't suck at messages and online. It can, like many of you know, get really grating to message so many girls with solid messages and not get replies. Super bums me out. :p

my message sending has gotten so lazy its pretty much grunts and points now. I wonder why I don't get positive results lol

I have been on it awhile now. It is a humbling experience to be sure. Lately, I have had two girls give me their phone numbers only to late flake out before even meeting. Internet dating is a bizarre experience. I truly hate it, but I know it's necessary for me.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
lol

Okay, so I was browsing OKC when I came upon this chick's profile (slightly NSFW):

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/kurvykrysta/photos

In my experience, chicks like that who's blatantly flaunt their bodacious bodies turn out to be fake, so I go ahead and make my suspicious known:

Okay, there's no way you're seriously interested in actually dating on this site, right?

Well, to my surprise, she actually responded:

Normally I don't respond to messages from anyone who isn't a potential match for me but I gotta tell you I get messages like this all the time and they are all completely ridiculous!
I LOVE dating online. I have met my last two serious boyfriends on this site and my best friend's husband too. Not to mention every hot girl I've hooked up with in the past 5 years!
There's no drama if and when things don't work out because you're not choosing who you love based on who's closest to you all the time. I recommend dating online to anyone and can spot a fake profile in two seconds. It's just the way it's done these days. Got a hot date with a guy I met here tonight so I should go soon and get ready.
Good luck.
xo,
K

Gotta say I wasn't expecting that.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
I feel the same way. I met a girl had a great time, she wanted date number 2 and then 2 days later she said she only sees us as friends. I felt so defeated in the whole getting to know you process and date. I'm 29 also and the whole message process and text process has left me defeated. I just don't want to do it anymore.

But as a lonely person, I have to change my attitude and go in happy, because right now when I visit the site, I go in defeated.

I know that feel bro. I have another girl that I could be potentially meeting for the first time tonight but I feel so defeated (good term) from the last girl/effort that it's severely affecting my attitude towards doing it all again.

lol

Okay, so I was browsing OKC when I came upon this chick's profile (slightly NSFW):

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/kurvykrysta/photos

In my experience, chicks like that who's blatantly flaunt their bodacious bodies turn out to be fake, so I go ahead and make my suspicious known:

Well, to my surprise, she actually responded:

Gotta say I wasn't expecting that.

Ohh I wish I hadn't cancelled my account so I can see.

CUD

Banned
Definitely seems like a good site, now only if this girl would reply to me... We have so much in common, maybe proposing to her in my first message was a bit too forward.

nimbus

Banned
First post on NeoGaf!

How does one go about OkC when he feel depressed as heck? Been on one "date" and it fizzled pretty quickly. I'm afraid to get to really know these girls I'm chatting up as I am really quite lonely and boring. Does this mean I'm not in the shape to date?

Maddocks

First post on NeoGaf!

How does one go about OkC when he feel depressed as heck? Been on one "date" and it fizzled pretty quickly. I'm afraid to get to really know these girls I'm chatting up as I am really quite lonely and boring. Does this mean I'm not in the shape to date?

going on a dating site while depressed or lonely is kinda bad because then you will settle with anyone who will talk to you.

DatDude

Banned
Has anyone used Meet Me? The Facebook App thingy...you can do the same shit rate, see who viewed your profile, send a secret admiration and shit. It's basically the facebook version of a dating site.

I think it's aimed towards young people though. Alot of my friends use it aren between 15-24.

Btw, regarding OKCupid. Is it basically rule of thumb in that if your not attractive you probably won't have much luck on that site?

First post on NeoGaf!

Congrats on your first post!

Yah, sad to say but dating is all a mind game. IF you think that you're quiet and boring (which you probably aren't) then you'll come across as such to the person that you're talking to. Me? I used to think that as a self-proclaimed anime otaku that no girl would want to date me. So what did I do? I decided to go and amp up my geekiness and just leave it on my sleeve. Take it or leave it sort of approach. Sounds like a contradiction, but again it's all about how you present yourself.

However, as much as I like anime/games, even I needed other hobbies so that I can connect easier with people. Ever since I bought a car, started working fulltime, finishing obstacle races, baking, etc. it's helped me become a more well-rounded individual. Try finding some new things that you like and don't be afraid to try anything new. Best advice I can give you from another recovering "lonely and boring" guy.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Btw, regarding OKCupid. Is it basically rule of thumb in that if your not attractive you probably won't have much luck on that site?

Not at all.

Make sure you have at least 1 good photo, use that as your profile picture. The others can be decent enough.

It's all about how you write your profile and describe yourself.

Holy shit I missed the Ashodin thread. Can somebody summarize what happened?

This summarises it pretty well

imFS8x9L6HxOa.gif

TxdoHawk

Not even remotely true. Women that just want a nice-looking piece of meat can go to bars and have men buy drinks for them, it's far easier.

Most women are on the site specifically because they want something more than good looks. Now granted, many of them are picky as fuck about what they want out of a man, but the beauty and horror of it all is that there are all sorts of weird things women will judge you on. Your profile and messages can do a lot to make up for any perceived weakness in looks.

Not even remotely true. Women that just want a nice-looking piece of meat can go to bars and have men buy drinks for them, it's far easier.

Most women are on the site specifically because they want something more than good looks. Now granted, many of them are picky as fuck about what they want out of a man, but the beauty and horror of it all is that there are all sorts of weird things women will judge you on. Your profile and messages can do a lot to make up for any perceived weakness in looks.

3/4 of the time I don't even know how I manage to get the responses that I do, but I agree 100% with your above statement.

Az987

all good things
ALright, so I'm still talking to dream girl.

She might come over tomorrow but she lives 180 miles away.

Should I make a topic saying I'm about to have a girl drive to my house who lives over 180 miles. |OT| Its cool though because we already met in her dreams. Think it will get locked?

lol

I think it has just as much if not more to do with what you have as your job actually. I don't have much luck on these sites and I'm pretty hot if I do say so myself. Fuck it, I'm going to pick up middle aged women at the bar up the road.

Except when I'm having in depth convos about the best cereal.

Maddocks

ALright, so I'm still talking to dream girl.

She might come over tomorrow but she lives 180 miles away.

Should I make a topic saying I'm about to have a girl drive to my house who lives over 180 miles. |OT| Its cool though because we already met in her dreams. Think it will get locked?

lol

you will get banned lol but only if you make a banner and ask for a epic gif and tag.

Az987

all good things
you will get banned lol but only if you make a banner and ask for a epic gif and tag.

lol i gotta make a youtube video of myself singing a version of Katy Perrys Fireworks with lyrics relating to half life first.

Lol im sorry. Ashodin I'm just joking if your reading this

Az987

all good things
Might wanna put your facebook on private... Detective GAF dont fuck around

I dont have a facebook. They might find my myspace even though I deleted it. That fucker Tom keeps undeleting it.

Do you guys do phone calls or skype before you meet someone? If I can get someone on the phone I can usually get them to meet but everyone just likes to text now. Who invented text messaging? Fuck you guy.

Maddocks

I text for awhile and let them make the move to the phone call because if I wait for them, then it lets me know they are comfortable.

but it usually goes text, phone, date.

Az987

all good things
I text for awhile and let them make the move to the phone call because if I wait for them, then it lets me know they are comfortable.

but it usually goes text, phone, date.

I've never even really been on a date. I usually just ask them to come to my house. Is that weird? They're all like but you live with your parents and I'm all like so what that means they wont let me murder you lol. I actually said that once, probably shouldn't do that again. She still came over though.

Ashhong

What do you do on a date at your parents house?

As for me, with this current girl I am going from OKC, text, to date tomorrow night. Haven't phoned, although I have wondered if we should. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've talked on the phone with any of my dates from OKC. I can usually tell how a girl is from texts.

Maddocks

I've never even really been on a date. I usually just ask them to come to my house. Is that weird? They're all like but you live with your parents and I'm all like so what that means they wont let me murder you lol. I actually said that once, probably shouldn't do that again. She still came over though.

lol thats a good point. I would invite people to my place but I have 4 dogs and they bark at any and all sounds made. So it would make the getting to know you process very long and annoying. So I go to dinner dates because 1. I like food and 2. its a public place. If she wants my kidneys she will have to fight me for them.

Az987

all good things
What do you do on a date at your parents house?

As for me, with this current girl I am going from OKC, text, to date tomorrow night. Haven't phoned, although I have wondered if we should. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've talked on the phone with any of my dates from OKC. I can usually tell how a girl is from texts.

We usually watch movies while we lay in my bed. I don't know, is that a date?

I can't tell how someone is from texts. I can't tell if I'm making her laugh in a text message.

I usually stay on the phone for a long time, maybe it makes them feel comfortable with me. I was just on the phone for almost 4 hours with this girl on our first phone call.

lol thats a good point. I would invite people to my place but I have 4 dogs and they bark at any and all sounds made. So it would make the getting to know you process very long and annoying. So I go to dinner dates because 1. I like food and 2. its a public place. If she wants my kidneys she will have to fight me for them.

I'm willing to risk my kidneys I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom