• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you should write the messages that you want to receive. What's the point in getting responses if they are only a sentence or so long? Seems pointless to me. One paragraph- bare minimum.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Just send that picture in your avatar and ask them if they want to taste the rainbow.
I actually have that picture on my account with the caption "Taste the rainbow".
KuGsj.gif

Finally got a response! The streak is broken!
3AQmK.gif

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
So I found this chick whose prerequisite is that a guy she dates needs to have a BA or better. She's not even hot, most of her pics are of her face, so you know what that means. And she has a kid. Lol, good luck sista. Although she stated that she makes good money.

There's no good chicks in my area. :/

So if I get a response I should feel honored? Bleh.

Maybe your messages need to stand out more. I've messaged a couple ladies on the site that mentioned zombies in their profile some variant of this:

Hi!
I saw on your profile that you think about zombies/like The Walking Dead/something like that, so I figured I'd ask an important question NOT covered on OKC: The zombie apocalypse has finally come and they're coming towards your house. You have 2 minutes to grab 3 items before you make a break for it. What do you take?

I've sent that message to roughly 5 different women; 4 have replied. A couple of the responses were quick lists; one actually sent me back a very detailed plan of action for fighting off the horde. We're messaging each other now, almost RPing an escape scenario -- it's fun.

And each of them made some comment about how cool and different the question was, as opposed to....whatever else guys are sending them. I'm sure it's been mentioned numerous times in the thread, but find something in their profile that you find interesting as well, and start a conversation about that. Just a suggestion.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Maybe your messages need to stand out more. I've messaged a couple ladies on the site that mentioned zombies in their profile some variant of this:

I've sent that message to roughly 5 different women; 4 have replied. A couple of the responses were quick lists; one actually sent me back a very detailed plan of action for fighting off the horde. We're messaging each now, almost RPing an escape scenario -- it's fun.

And each of them made some comment about how cool and different the question was, as opposed to....whatever else guys are sending them. I'm sure it's been mentioned numerous times in the thread, but find something in their profile that you find interesting as well, and start a conversation about that. Just a suggestion.
I'm not really a funny person in the traditional sense, so it's difficult for me to convey it online. I'm the type of person who can make people laugh in response to something in the moment or unintentionally.

My general strategy has been to act interested in them a little more than I actually am. Problem with that is leading the conversation somewhere. Here's the message I just sent that I got a response to:

Me on OkCupid said:
Hey ya. After reading your profile I have some questions for ya. Where is the *** ***** Diner? I think I've been there before with a friend, but it was well over a year ago. What's your favorite meal there? Also, what do you do as a kennel tech? It sounds interesting.

Good message. Make sure you find out if she prefers walking or running zombies

Man, the last message I sent out was 8 paragraphs long. Of course, it was sent to a person with a lengthy profile who responded with a message that was almost as long (7 paragraphs).

Xun

I might see what the crazy blind date thing is like.

If I can somehow bypass the other bullshit, I'll be happy.

How does the blind date work? I got a few requests, and its pretty obvious who one of them is (we've chatted before) is it directed specifically at me or is it a open invitation?

My general strategy has been to act interested in them a little more than I actually am. Problem with that is leading the conversation somewhere. Here's the message I just sent that I got a response to:
It shows that you read her profile, but I generally don't like messages like this. She knows you wouldn't message her unless you were interested in her, but the questions seem like "god, I need to dig up something to talk about with her." It seems desperate to me, but people could also find that flattering.

My rule is that if a girl doesn't have something in her profile or question responses that can lead to a good joke or legit conversation she probably hasn't had, I don't bother.

No, it's just the biggest bag they had at my local grocery store. I actually have a huge head.

Bleh. Ya'll need to drop your expectations unless you believe you're perfect.

No point pretending physical attraction isn't important and I don't think I could ever be attracted to some of the guys that message me. No point wasting either of our time.

Good message. Make sure you find out if she prefers walking or running zombies

This is the kind of message I'd respond to.

I don't know. A sentence or two back and forth just bores me to tears, so I just feel the need to go for the long stuff and hope I've found someone willing to respond in the same manner.

___

Hey electricshake, how often do you get more than one message from the same person without you ever replying to them? This is something I've seen on a lot of different profiles in my area ("There's no need to message me again if I don't respond immediately yadda yadda.") and it seems like something I can't imagine anyone doing.

I don't know. A sentence or two back and forth just bores me to tears, so I just feel the need to go for the long stuff and hope I've found someone willing to respond in the same manner.

___

Hey electricshake, how often do you get more than one message from the same person without you ever replying to them? This is something I've seen on a lot of different profiles in my area ("There's no need to message me again if I don't respond immediately yadda yadda.") and it seems like something I can't imagine anyone doing.

It happens occasionally but not that often. It's fine if it's like correcting a mistake or adding something else but if I hadn't responded in the first place I find it annoying. I quite often take some time deciding if I'm going to message someone even after I've visited their profile and second message are often presumptive or hostile which annoys me. If you're not a dick about it it's not so bad.

I'm not really a funny person in the traditional sense, so it's difficult for me to convey it online. I'm the type of person who can make people laugh in response to something in the moment or unintentionally.

I'm kinda the same way, humor-wise -- it's easier for me to display my sense of humor more in person than via text, but it definitely gets easier the more you messages you send. You'll find a good balance to strike with practice.

As for your message, I think it's a good start (especially since it got a response). My only recommendation would echo Liu Kang's: Try not to bombard them with too many questions from the get-go. Pick one topic, and start from there.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
No point pretending physical attraction isn't important and I don't think I could ever be attracted to some of the guys that message me. No point wasting either of our time.
I don't message women I'm not physically attracted to in the least. What percentage of guys who send a message do nothing for you?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
My rule is that if a girl doesn't have something in her profile or question responses that can lead to a good joke or legit conversation she probably hasn't had, I don't bother.
If I had that attitude I'd probably not message ANYONE.
I'm kinda the same way, humor-wise -- it's easier for me to display my sense of humor more in person than via text, but it definitely gets easier the more you messages you send. You'll find a good balance to strike with practice.

As for your message, I think it's a good start (especially since it got a response). My only recommendation would echo Liu Kang's: Try not to bombard them with too many questions from the get-go. Pick one topic, and start from there.
Alright, I'll try to just talk about those two things I brought up for as long as I can. But where do I go from there...?

I am generally interested though. I never ask questions if I don't give one shit about.

Edit: Oops DP. Meant to edit these in.

Servbot24

Banned
A pretty sexy girl just messaged me :O The first line of her profile is "I live in [city] and I don't have any roommates" .... >_>

oh but her profile is going on about how she wants to be married in 5 years, nevermind

Az987

all good things
It shows that you read her profile, but I generally don't like messages like this. She knows you wouldn't message her unless you were interested in her, but the questions seem like "god, I need to dig up something to talk about with her." It seems desperate to me, but people could also find that flattering.

I just say Hello. How are you doing tonight? to people without anything interesting in their profile.

y2dvd

This is the kind of message I'd respond to.

No wonder I was shot down by electricshake, I'm too physically unattractive. That, and a I suck at LoL. D:

Jk!

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I have an OKCupid profile and never received a message.

I've never sent one either.

I'm the same boat, but I've sent quite a few messages. Sucks, but there's nothing else I can do.

I guess when girls see a guy's profile and it says "no one's contacted him this week. message him!", they think he's not worth talking to or something so the cycle continues. I don't know.

I'm the same boat, but I've sent quite a few messages. Sucks, but there's nothing else I can do.

I guess when girls see a guy's profile and it says "no one's contacted him this week. message him!", they think he's not worth talking to or something so the cycle continues. I don't know.
For me it's that and I've no idea what to say. I imagine girls get messages all the time and standing out is difficult.

Misterhbk

No messages at all? Wow, what are you guys saying in your messages? Honestly, I literally copy and paste a general message that could be applied to any girl, add something specific about their profile to it and play the waiting game. Some girls go for it, others don't. To get no responses at all though, I'm thinking it has to be something you're saying.

Az987

all good things
Someone just sent me a message saying lets chat. We sent like 10 messages, I asked what she was doing and she said nothing fun.

Then I asked what would she rather be doing thats fun and she said getting a massage, how about you?

I said laying next to someone, I'm cold

Then she said where are you.

Would it be bad if I told her after 10 minutes of talking? I'm cold lol

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!

Hahaha, oh shit. I'm so damn stupid. I deleted my profile a couple weeks back (don't even ask) after messaging and talking with six different women all within the same period of time. I think what happened was I got contacted, then contacted again, then contacted some more, and they just started messaging me like crazy. (Well, like crazy for a guy anyway) Then I just up and delete my shit. LOL

I know this isn't the thread to really talk about it but has anyone checked out the "Let's Date" app on iPhone? Feels somewhat similiar to OkCupid in its layout and what have you but it's a simple "Yes, I would like to date" or "No Thanks" on the screen with some profile information and a few pictures. If they click Let's Date on you then it attempts to set something up and that's where you can message people. I've gotten one response so far from maybe 20 Let's Dates. The app isn't officially in my area yet, so more people are coming online every day. Just thought I would toss that out there like an idiot in the OkCupid thread. LOL

Misterhbk

Someone just sent me a message saying lets chat. We sent like 10 messages, I asked what she was doing and she said nothing fun.

Then I asked what would she rather be doing thats fun and she said getting a massage, how about you?

I said laying next to someone, I'm cold

Then she said where are you.

Would it be bad if I told her after 10 minutes of talking? I'm cold lol

If she goes with the conversation, and it seems like she was the one who lead it in that direction I don't see why it would be bad lol

Az987

all good things
If she goes with the conversation, and it seems like she was the one who lead it in that direction I don't see why it would be bad lol

Yeah then she said she asked where I am because she thought I was outside because I said I'm cold which is kind of um... yeah lol I guess I jumped the gun haha.

Oh well, probably for the best. My kidneys stay in me for one more night

Az987

all good things
Sometimes I laugh at my own messages I send so I guess its not a total loss if they don't respond.

What's the best funny message you guys have ever sent?

I just saw someone had in their profile that they are very musically inclined and could probably play any instrument if they tried so I sent her:

Can you play the accordion? I need an accordion player for my awesome polka band I'm starting. Its a hipster polka band. We play music ironically. You in or what!?

Ah, I'm such a funny guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom