• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateDrake

Do you ever think women expectations on these dating sites are a bit to high and unrealistic?

I mean, I just can't shake the feeling that there expecting this:

with some Law or Medical degree

And are getting this instead:

with some bachelors in business.

I feel that why I'm probably not getting any success. To many women are expecting good looking versace models with high paying incomes, while instead they get average joes like me who is still living with his parents. :(

The way I look at it is this: they are (as in the women) on the site, also. If a woman can expect models, then so can we men.

I feel that why I'm probably not getting any success. To many women are expecting good looking versace models with high paying incomes, while instead they get average joes like me who is still living with his parents. :(

Calm down. This is exactly the kind of shit that gets posted on "Nice Guys Of OkCupid." Don't be that guy.

Realize that just as many girls on OKC are either overweight or very plain-looking themselves. If they get inflated standards because it's a buyers market on OKC, so be it; it's out of your control and you can't let it effect you.

Do you ever think women expectations on these dating sites are a bit to high and unrealistic?

Or because you obviously hate women.

jorma

is now taking requests
yeah, i don't get the bitterness.

if i had 20 messages from different people every single day i logged into the dating site i'd not read the majority of them either.

Message an attractive woman and you need luck to even get her to read your mail, you can't let that shit get to you.

Calm down. This is exactly the kind of shit that gets posted on "Nice Guys Of OkCupid." Don't be that guy.

Realize that just as many girls on OKC are either overweight or very plain-looking themselves. If they get inflated standards because it's a buyers market on OKC, so be it; it's out of your control and you can't let it effect you.

Yah, I second this. Only worry about stuff that you can control.

Also, this works both ways. I've been on quite a number of OKC dates/correspondences over the past year yet I've ended a few that were either exhausting or set off any sort of alarm. Learn that everyone has his or her own standards and you'll be fine.

Think that's tough? Try being a liberal arts/creative type with a degree in film studies. Now granted I work in business as a marketer so yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah...:X

Well I got a date tonight but have a bad feeling about it.....

I've only seen her face from her profile picture so Im calling it right now that she is going to be fat or short or both.

Will update in a few hours......

This happened to me last September. So on behalf of your fellow gaffers, GLHFDD!

Well I got a date tonight but have a bad feeling about it.....

I've only seen her face from her profile picture so Im calling it right now that she is going to be fat or short or both.

Will update in a few hours......

What's wrong with short? I'm 6'5 and I'd like to date a short girl as the possibilities intrigue me.

Or because you obviously hate women.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Bleepey

Because they can. It's a woman's market just suck it up and deal with it.

Aegus

And I have a date with her this saturday.

Oooh boy. Was talking to her a bit more and I think she has major baggage with her ex (husband).

Violence, ex banned from the country, popping pills and all sorts of things.

And she brought up while we were chatting that she'd received texts from dates months back as we were chatting.

I played it off like a joke that I thought she meant she remembered the return dates for dvds from Blockbuster since they're closing down. (all she said was "oh, the night of return dates")

Feel like I should back the fuck off like right now.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Do you guys usually send another message to girls you already sent something weeks ago but never responded? Some of them still look interesting for me, but i wonder if its just a waste of time, since... well, if they ignored me 3 weeks ago, why would that change now eh?

Maddocks

Do you guys usually send another message to girls you already sent something weeks ago but never responded? Some of them still look interesting for me, but i wonder if its just a waste of time, since... well, if they ignored me 3 weeks ago, why would that change now eh?

send a message once a week till she pity dates you.

PG2G

Sounds like a waste of time

Maddocks

Well, that's not a good way to look interesting to a girl if you look that desperate and she date you out of pity.

but she might fall in love via,"hey baby, remember me from last week?"

but yeah, I have sent another message if they haven't answered in a month or so. I figure by then, she might have deleted the first message and thus, another chance.

Az987

all good things
Alright guys I got a date! Well, I'm meeting her at her house, she lives close by.

No idea what were going to do but I video chatted with her last night and talked to her on the phone a few times so it shouldn't be very awkward meeting for the first time I hope.

She said she'd be home in an hour so I guess here goes nothing. Wish me luck!

Alright guys I got a date! Well, I'm meeting her at her house, she lives close by.

No idea what were going to do but I video chatted with her last night and talked to her on the phone a few times so it shouldn't be very awkward meeting for the first time I hope.

Don't pee in anything in her house except for the toilet. If you do otherwise she won't appreciate the gesture and the time spent cleaning up after you will detract from time you could spend getting to know each other.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
It's funny when you go back to your inbox and the messages you've sent, and a lot of them are now "hollows" (girls who deleted their profiles).

jorma

is now taking requests

She probably just didnt read it and will have no idea that you messaged her. I actually got a mail today "hey how are you doing, you seem like an interesting person, wanna talk" from a girl i messaged previously, and she had no idea that i'd done so.

Ashhong

What the hell is a movie match?

She probably just didnt read it and will have no idea that you messaged her. I actually got a mail today "hey how are you doing, you seem like an interesting person, wanna talk" from a girl i messaged previously, and she had no idea that i'd done so.

I think there is a higher chance that a girl simply chose not to respond to you vs missed your message.

bjb

Banned

Pretty awkward meeting her at her house unless it's just to bang.

Bisnic

This was from another dating website actually, and she checked my profile like 10 mins after i sent my message. She never actually read my message after that though. =/

I guess it's pointless to send another message in a few weeks if she didn't find my profile interesting enough to even read my message. She will just ignore my 2nd message like the first one. I don't get it, aren't girls at least a tiny bit curious to know what guys wrote them, even if they're not interested in them? :p

zlatko

Banned
This site makes my head hurt sometimes. I've sent a message to just about every possible cute girl within my area that I was interested in. Had a few replies, but it's the general stupid ass shit of chicks who don't know how to carry a conversation.

"What are you up to this weekend" for example would lead to a "bein lazy." WOW...come the fuck on. I'll do the standard talk about something on their profile, toss in a joke here and there, and ask questions to keep a conversation going, but get dead end replies.

Why are they even bothering with that? Right now I'm doing a back and forth with one girl who I'll make about 2 paragraph replies to her, and am given 5 words tops. Jesus...

Otherwise though I gave my digits to a girl last night who actually did do intelligent replies, and we texted a few times. I texted her today, got a reply, but now nothing even though it shows she's online on OKC. Ugh. :/ My patience always blows.

On a brighter side I asked out this extremely cute girl from my bank after a year and she said yes. Bravest thing I've ever done in my life! :D

This site makes my head hurt sometimes. I've sent a message to just about every possible cute girl within my area that I was interested in. Had a few replies, but it's the general stupid ass shit of chicks who don't know how to carry a conversation.

"What are you up to this weekend" for example would lead to a "bein lazy." WOW...come the fuck on. I'll do the standard talk about something on their profile, toss in a joke here and there, and ask questions to keep a conversation going, but get dead end replies.

Why are they even bothering with that? Right now I'm doing a back and forth with one girl who I'll make about 2 paragraph replies to her, and am given 5 words tops. Jesus...

Otherwise though I gave my digits to a girl last night who actually did do intelligent replies, and we texted a few times. I texted her today, got a reply, but now nothing even though it shows she's online on OKC. Ugh. :/ My patience always blows.

On a brighter side I asked out this extremely cute girl from my bank after a year and she said yes. Bravest thing I've ever done in my life! :D

You gotta understand the volume of messages cute girls receive is just insane. Just keeping up with it must take way more time than I could possibly want to devote to OKC. Earlier the OKC guys did a study on how many messages cute girls receive vs. less cute and ugly girls and it's about what you'd expect.

zlatko

Banned
True, and their pool to pull from for guys is much bigger. Must be nice to be in the position of just pick what you like.

Oddly enough after this post that girl who quick replies, once again, quick replied with a "no it's cool. want to text?" and so I gave her my digits. Maybe she just blows at socializing outside of in person, or is shy in general? Who knows.

I'm having a much better time with OKC in general though compared to 5 months ago and longer when I was using it. I'm getting girls to actually message me without visiting their profiles. I guess what I have written now, the women on now, and the photos I'm using made a good difference.

How do you get okcupid to match you with people that aren't married or seeing someone?

Just make sure you set your search parameters to Single people only in the "I'm looking for" section of your profile and make sure you have status set to single when doing your match searches.

TxdoHawk

So I found out rebound girl is now dating someone else...but still wanted me for more dinner dates and action on the side. I politely declined. :p

Az987

all good things
Don't pee in anything in her house except for the toilet. If you do otherwise she won't appreciate the gesture and the time spent cleaning up after you will detract from time you could spend getting to know each other.

Pretty awkward meeting her at her house unless it's just to bang.

lol I don't know how it went. We got Chinese food and I was kind of nervous and she could tell but I think she liked me. I guess we'll find out if I ever hear from her again haha.

She said I think you're an awkward person and I said is that bad? and she said its just an observation. She had something to do at 8 but she told me before hand so at least I know she didn't make it up to get away from me.

Oh well.

Maddocks

should have asked her to give you a tour of the house and at her room said,"do I smell cookies?" and walked in and say down on her bed.

Az987

all good things
should have asked her to give you a tour of the house and at her room said,"do I smell cookies?" and walked in and say down on her bed.

lol I did that except for the cookies part but I asked if I could sit there and we went and got Chinese food right after so nothing happened.

I fucking lost a thumb war too. That probably sealed the deal, I'll never hear from her again!

Edit: And she said I looked like Jon B. She was like if you shaved your facial hair like that you'd look just like him! And the girl I was seeing before her said the exact same thing. I don't want to look like an RnB singer from the 90s :( Plus I don't, hes just a white guy with dark short hair.

Misterhbk

Don't know why this post made me chuckle lol probably because its true. There's so many girls on okc who are just horrendous at keeping a conversation.

bjb

Banned
I'm just going to throw this out there, but I checked Match instead of OKC for my area out of curiosity. My god was I stunned. There's so many more women on there. Easily double.

Now granted the site isn't nearly as nice and I think you have pay at some point (didn't require me to during registration)? Regardless, I live in a smaller city and I was stunned at how many girls were on there in comparison.

On OKC there's (imo) a handful of hot girls, but it's mostly fatties and rather unattractive women. Match seemed to have a much higher rate of good looking girls.

I imagine this means there's equally more men. Still, all it takes is one. Just my two cents for anyone frustrated with OKC. Oh, and I definitely recognized a few who seem to have profiles on both.

pikablu

Seriously anyone thinking of trying this site should. I finally got my foot in the dating game and haven't looked back. Sure i've had my ups, downs, and heartbreaks from this site but it really gave me a chance to finally meet some womens. Also POF is a good alternative as well.

I have had a profile for a week or so, and haven't used it too much. I got an email today from the site that says I am hot and now I'll see more attractive people in my results.

How does this site work, and how was it filtering before?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have a date, coffee, today. I have a date today.... Wow. Messaged this girl last weekend and send a few back and forth, she seemed really nice and open. Asked her to coffee and she said today would work. It's been forever since I've been on a date. I'll need some luck. It's just coffee, so ill make conversation and have a good time.

She lists herself as Asian, Indian, Pacific Islander. Attractive girl. :p

Finally a shred of luck on OKC.

DrBo42

Apparently I messaged a girl wearing an N7 sweatshirt back in October and wrote her an awful message:

OKC said:
Oct 29, 2012 – 9:36pm
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite profile on The Citadel.

Sent to *REDACTED*
Jan 18, 2013 – 7:41pm
You are not commander Shepard. I am.

A reply almost 3 months later? Did her standards drop to the point where she's re-reading messages? Haha.

kiryogi

Banned
Haha. Well looks like the girl I was seeing broke up with me for a self journey of sorts. She sent me off really positively and I did the same. Funnily enough, we talked like normal afterwards until I called her out on it but. Life moves on. . .

jorma

is now taking requests
This was from another dating website actually, and she checked my profile like 10 mins after i sent my message. She never actually read my message after that though. =/

I guess it's pointless to send another message in a few weeks if she didn't find my profile interesting enough to even read my message. She will just ignore my 2nd message like the first one. I don't get it, aren't girls at least a tiny bit curious to know what guys wrote them, even if they're not interested in them? :p

Well i cant know individually obviously, i just meant in general. Sure she'll probably ignore you again, but i don't really think it matters all that much if you already messaged her or not.

I just try to imagine what would happen if i had 20 messages from random strangers every time i logged into the site. The curiosity needed to examine every single individual would wane pretty fast i think. Decisions would be made based off just the thumbnail image of the girl messaging.

This site is the gift and a curse

So many highs and lows. But as so many people have said-don't use this as your only source.

The last lady I slept with was from a real life first interaction with a chick, it's just SO much easier. But I guess most people's problem on here is that they either 1) aren't social enough 2) are too shy/awkard to talk to chicks.

OKC won't turn you into a cool, model straight away, but best believe that's what a lot of women are looking for. So either way both sexes are just as delusional as each other on this site.

I'm just trying to keep it as a secondary source and use real life to meet more chicks, which is working.

But there is only ONE fact that is true about dating: it's expensive!

Bisnic

Well i cant know individually obviously, i just meant in general. Sure she'll probably ignore you again, but i don't really think it matters all that much if you already messaged her or not.

I just try to imagine what would happen if i had 20 messages from random strangers every time i logged into the site. The curiosity needed to examine every single individual would wane pretty fast i think. Decisions would be made based off just the thumbnail image of the girl messaging.

Yeah, she looks very cute, so i guess the number of message she gets(she is new on the site on top of that) is pretty ridiculous.

Maybe i'll give it another try another day after it calms down a little.

Necrovex

But there is only ONE fact that is true about dating: it's expensive!

The biggest downside of dating. I decided to change my approach and not go dutch anymore. My wallet weeps too much. I'm too used to being paid for, rather than vice-versa. :-(

Talking to a few women right now. I saw one woman being a big Who fan, so I decided to write as an erratic Doctor. It's going pretty well. I am also talking to a woman who is deaf, so that might be an interesting date.

Anyone been on a crazy blind date yet?

I enjoy having all of my organs intact.
My biggest fear would be meeting a "curvy" woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom