• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misterhbk

Sometimes I laugh at my own messages I send so I guess its not a total loss if they don't respond.

What's the best funny message you guys have ever sent?

I just saw someone had in their profile that they are very musically inclined and could probably play any instrument if they tried so I sent her:

Can you play the accordion? I need an accordion player for my awesome polka band I'm starting. Its a hipster polka band. We play music ironically. You in or what!?

Ah, I'm such a funny guy.

Lol, if you get any responses to that then sir, I tip my hat

nimbus

Banned
What's the best funny message you guys have ever sent?

I once saw a girl's profile list the band Slowdive as Slow Dive. I messaged her "Slowdive's one word. Hello's another."

Brevity being the soul of wit and all, I thought it was my smoothest message. No reply though, but I can see it coming off as being smarmy for correcting her.

Az987

all good things
You obviously were misled by her bold
lies
claims of being able to play any instruments and demand compensation!

I sent her back

Really? Aw man now I'm totally bummed out. I guess I have to put the band on hold since it kind of was all riding on you. I already had the T-shirts printed up and everything.

Polka-dots were going to take the music scene by storm! I'm sad now :(

I don't message women I'm not physically attracted to in the least. What percentage of guys who send a message do nothing for you?

Before we get started, I'd just like to point out that I'm well aware my standards are probably too high and my friends always take the piss out of me for it. There are almost certainly reasons for that that I won't go into, I don't want to bore gaf with my shit chat.

Honestly? Most of them. Although a lot of them it's not just their looks, plenty of them it's something in their profile or answered questions that puts me off. Some of them are not unattractive but either their opening message is crappy or there's something wrong with their profile/answered questions. I have a few deal breakers but I don't think any of them are too ridiculous - I don't want someone who has kids, or who is religious or who doesn't drink/smoke weed. Plus the obvious like thinking the earth is bigger than the sun and all that crap. But some of them are just plain unattractive (I had repulsive in there originally, but that sounds a bit harsh).

Out of the guys in my area that I've seen, maybe a handful of them are actually hot (like I'd check them out if I saw them on the street or whatever), the rest are either not unattractive (but maybe not my type or whatever) or...yeh. Man this makes me feel so shallow.

The only reason I'm still even on the site is because the first guy I met, I totally fell for. It didn't work out (mainly because I'm a fucktard) but I know it's possible to actually meet someone decent. So...yeh.

Maddocks

I'm still on the site because as much as I am cynical, I still believe someone is on there for me. I should seriously close my account down because honestly, I'm beaten. All my failures are now caught up and I just want to move on and forget all about dating.

yet, I still hope, what is wrong with me.

Simon_K

Neo Member
I've been following this thread for a while now, and I've got to say - It's nice to see that there are other people out there looking for something more than a one night stand.

My initial thoughts on all those dating sites were that it's for posers, people aiming to boost their ego or for trolls.

I'm planning on giving one of these sites (possibly OKC) a chance, now that I've been proven wrong. I see lots of helpful advice all around the thread (and other threads, such as dating-age), so a big hi5 to everyone from me - you guys have given me a necessary boost to get things rolling :)

y2dvd

Good luck Simon_K. My advice is not to get too hung up if you're not too successful at first. It's not as easy to grab attention as it seems!

Simon_K

Neo Member
Good luck Simon_K. My advice is not to get too hung up if you're not too successful at first. It's not as easy to grab attention as it seems!

I don't think I will (though you never know what will happen) - I'm approaching the site from a different angle than most of the people - I'm actually looking for some people to chat with, possibly be friends with, and not necessarily aim for a relationship.

My social circle consists of just a few select people, out of whom there's maybe 1 person I could call a true friend, so I'm hoping to expand that a little before I begin working on a relationship - I don't want to come out as clingy, "putting her on pedestal" type of dude just because I've got noone else to spend my time with, other than my SO.

jorma

is now taking requests
So i just love QT. He is so awesome.

I've been messaging a lot of people "based on (stuff she likes) i bet you are dying to see Django Unchained when it premieres tomorrow".

And pretty much everyone is.

I'll end up watching this movie 10 times. It better be good :p

Slo

Before we get started, I'd just like to point out that I'm well aware my standards are probably too high and my friends always take the piss out of me for it. There are almost certainly reasons for that that I won't go into, I don't want to bore gaf with my shit chat.

Honestly? Most of them. Although a lot of them it's not just their looks, plenty of them it's something in their profile or answered questions that puts me off. Some of them are not unattractive but either their opening message is crappy or there's something wrong with their profile/answered questions. I have a few deal breakers but I don't think any of them are too ridiculous - I don't want someone who has kids, or who is religious or who doesn't drink/smoke weed. Plus the obvious like thinking the earth is bigger than the sun and all that crap. But some of them are just plain unattractive (I had repulsive in there originally, but that sounds a bit harsh).

Out of the guys in my area that I've seen, maybe a handful of them are actually hot (like I'd check them out if I saw them on the street or whatever), the rest are either not unattractive (but maybe not my type or whatever) or...yeh. Man this makes me feel so shallow.

The only reason I'm still even on the site is because the first guy I met, I totally fell for. It didn't work out (mainly because I'm a fucktard) but I know it's possible to actually meet someone decent. So...yeh.

I don't mean to call you out personally electricshake, but this post is a great example of why guys should also be approaching girls in person instead of just relying solely on dating sights to bring them success. Some women treat okcupid like a gotdamn mail order catalog for men. It's like they're buying a used car or something. I don't know about the rest of you, but every time I shop for used cars online I spend about 10 minutes looking at Toyotas before I'm looking at shit I can't afford and drooling in the Ferrari section. That's just human nature.

Sometimes it's just best to walk up and ask for a test drive. Gives her less of a chance to figure out why you're not good enough for her.

Spinluck

Lol.

My area sucks.

It's in the country so most of the girls are into the same exact shit, and of course it's shit I'm not into.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I'm still on the site because as much as I am cynical, I still believe someone is on there for me. I should seriously close my account down because honestly, I'm beaten. All my failures are now caught up and I just want to move on and forget all about dating.

%D0%9A%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%B8%D0%BA%D1%81%D1%8B-oglaf-%D0%BE%D0%B3%D0%BB%D0%B0%D1%84-%D0%BF%D0%B8%D0%B7%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%B4%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B7%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BB%D1%8C-272810.png

You probably believe you're an individual worthy of love. You are.

I have a few deal breakers but I don't think any of them are too ridiculous - I don't want someone who has kids, or who is religious or who doesn't drink/smoke weed.

looks like a lot of guys are dodging a bullet

If it's a deal breaker for you that a guy doesn't want to do something that could fuck over his prospects to find work in this economy...damn girl, that's some odd ass shit.

If it's a deal breaker for you that a guy doesn't want to do something that could fuck over his prospects to find work in this economy...damn girl, that's some odd ass shit.

Not really if it's something she enjoys doing. I don't personally smoke anymore (started giving me migraines) but I could never date someone who had an issue with pot as my close circle still does smoke.

This chick just told me she doesn't date N-words lol. Yup, my area is shit.

Did she say "N-words" or actually use the word? Actually... I don't know which of those would be more offensive.

Anyway you should report her, that shit can't fly.

Not really if it's something she enjoys doing. I don't personally smoke anymore (started giving me migraines) but I could never date someone who had an issue with pot as my close circle still does smoke.

There's a huge difference between being accepting of those who smoke pot and never considering dating someone because they don't. Her statement suggested the latter, but if its the former I could understand.

Spinluck

that shit would have hurt me emotionally

I just lol'd.

Jesus. Where do you live? Did you respond or are you just gonna leave it alone?

Also, are you black or are you the guy in your avatar?

I live in Ocala, FL. Where basically everyone is Republican, likes horse back riding, hunting and fishing, mudding on dirt roads, MMA, wants to murder Obama, loves college sports, and some "hate" technology but use Facebook and dating sites lol.

Naw I'm black, the guy in my avy is the professional Quarterback of my favorite NFL team lol.

I like fishing, and can get into college football. But that's about it.

Spinluck

Did she say "N-words" or actually use the word? Actually... I don't know which of those would be more offensive.

Anyway you should report her, that shit can't fly.

She used the word lol. I'm not at all surprised though. Leesburg that's about 35mins from here is known to be a blatantly racist place lol.

Ugh, at least she gave you a response, so your opening message must have been good!

Yeah.

After that I basically said fuck it, and asked how it's possible to be a Christian racist. No response though.

apesh1t

Banned
Man I hate online dating, just hate it, and this is my only option....

I swear to God Match is messing with me. I instantly get an email with in like an hour of signing up, so naturally I have to get a pay account (7 day trial first). the girl that emailed me takes forever to respond and just informed me that she's going away for a few weeks but she's really interested in meeting up. I think she might work for Match or something. She's not a spammer because I get those all the time, she's a real person, I think she's trying to stretch this past 7 days.

Anyways, I've been pretty unresponsive to the emails and I just realized that one of the women in my emails "I" made my favorites......impossible. I never made anyone my favorite. I mean she's attractive, but we have nothing in common. If I was interested in her, I'd just message her. It's these little things that is making me wonder,

Plenty of Fish is just terrible. How am I suppose to respond to "you seem fun" or "love your profile".

I join dating sites like every couple of months, get frustrated and quit. I told myself that wouldn't happen this time.

Whatever you've got, I've got it too.

Unless it's the flu. I got my shots.

I don't mean to call you out personally electricshake, but this post is a great example of why guys should also be approaching girls in person instead of just relying solely on dating sights to bring them success. Some women treat okcupid like a gotdamn mail order catalog for men. It's like they're buying a used car or something. I don't know about the rest of you, but every time I shop for used cars online I spend about 10 minutes looking at Toyotas before I'm looking at shit I can't afford and drooling in the Ferrari section. That's just human nature.

Sometimes it's just best to walk up and ask for a test drive. Gives her less of a chance to figure out why you're not good enough for her.

Haha no worries, you're totally right!

You're right, sorry I didn't phrase that too well. A deal breaker if someone doesn't agree with it but not too much of a problem if they don't personally smoke - though it is something I enjoy and would like to enjoy with someone I was seeing. I don't do any harder drugs but wouldn't have a necessarily have a problem who did (depending on what drugs and how often/how it impacted their life) but I would understand if someone like that wanted to date someone who did so that they could do it together.

Maybe I am being ridiculous but I guess it's just part of my lifestyle. It could be worse, I know girls who only date men over a certain height or earn over a certain amount of money.

It's called positivity bro. Use the gift wisely!

Az987

all good things

Definitely.

It's called positivity bro. Use the gift wisely!
When Match Searching...
Finds A Match & Sends PM.
How they read the PM and Visits my Profile, then doesn't bother to reply.

Regardless, I'll still use the site and turn any negative outcomes to my amusement ;)
---
Maybe they aren't messaging because you don't know how to select size-appropriate pictures for forums.
Edited. Using MobileGAF. Sensitive Much?
Nope, you?
Not at all. But Its alot better to give helpful tips than rather your approach. Idc who you are.

When Match Searching...
http://images4.alphacoders.com/593/59358.jpg
Finds A Match & Sends PM.
How they read the PM and Visits my Profile, then doesn't bother to reply.
http://www.troll.me/images/leela-futurama/.jpg

Regardless, I'll still use the site and turn any negative outcomes to my amusement ;)

Maybe they aren't messaging because you don't know how to select size-appropriate pictures for forums.

Edited. Using MobileGAF. Sensitive Much?

Nope, you?

Az987

all good things
Every once in a while I'll get a message from someone complimenting my profile on POF.

I just got one and she's very pretty but she lives 150 miles away. Dammit.

Necrovex

Every once in a while I'll get a message from someone complimenting my profile on POF.

I just got one and she's very pretty but she lives 150 miles away. Dammit.

Some of the women who rate me highly or message (and all of them are attractive) are always living a few hundred miles away. :-(

Az987

all good things
I read her profile and it says she just moved to the US. Is that a red flag? I asked her and she said she came from Serbia.

Bleepey

Pretty much. All the cards lie in women's hands. Women can be as picky as they like. Look at how all straight/bi women have red or yellow dots. Lesbians are often green or blue for some reason, I heard lesbians bitch like they're straight men regarding the number and quality of messages they receive.

DatDude

Banned
Do you ever think women expectations on these dating sites are a bit to high and unrealistic?

I mean, I just can't shake the feeling that there expecting this:

with some Law or Medical degree

And are getting this instead:

with some bachelors in business.

I feel that why I'm probably not getting any success. To many women are expecting good looking versace models with high paying incomes, while instead they get average joes like me who is still living with his parents. :(

If we're talking about funny messages, something on this woman's profile referenced birds. I asked what kind. She answers and I say, "Oh. I was looking for seagulls." A few hours later, she messages "so. um. hi." Ding ding.

Well I got a date tonight but have a bad feeling about it.....

I've only seen her face from her profile picture so Im calling it right now that she is going to be fat or short or both.

Will update in a few hours......

jorma

is now taking requests
If we're talking about funny messages, something on this woman's profile referenced birds. I asked what kind. She answers and I say, "Oh. I was looking for seagulls." A few hours later, she messages "so. um. hi." Ding ding.

i dont get it, what am i missing?

RayStorm

Where's the funny?

That however is a potentially key word I might have read but ignored prior to answering.

But I think there is some slight amusement in first eagerly answering a question and forgoing an introduction before sheepishly getting back to that a few hours later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom