• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're bummed by Tom Cody's numbers, keep in mind NYC is probably the best place for a single man in the united states. Demographics peg it as 50 percent more single women then men. This trends down on a gradient westwardly until you hit places like Seattle or LA, where you get 50 percent more single men then single women.

If you're bummed by Tom Cody's numbers, keep in mind NYC is probably the best place for a single man in the united states. Demographics peg it as 50 percent more single women then men. This trends down on a gradient westwardly until you hit places like Seattle or LA, where you get 50 percent more single men then single women.

what in god's name is the deal with that?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Goddamn it! It happened AGAIN.

I met this chick who I thought I had a pretty good rapport with, and when I finally ask her out for coffee, she just straight up vanishes. We exchanged nearly THIRTY messages, and not one or two word replies either. Not to mention, she would respond super quickly (like 3 or 4 minutes after I sent a message) on pretty much every message so far. Except now. Fancy that.

What the hell, ladies? :mad:

I met this chick who I thought I had a pretty good rapport with, and when I finally ask her out for coffee, she just straight up vanishes. We exchanged nearly THIRTY messages, and not one or two word replies either. Not to mention, she would respond super quickly (like 3 or 4 minutes after I sent a message) on pretty much every message so far. Except now. Fancy that.

Found other dick. You were waiting in the wings. Sorry bro =/.

Maddocks

you took to long. over communication is a killer. 30 messages is like....long pen pals. 5-10 max and move on to text or set up a skype date or actual coffee date.

Pastry

Banned
you took to long. over communication is a killer. 30 messages is like....long pen pals. 5-10 max and move on to text or set up a skype date or actual coffee date.

I always did the 3 message (messages with actual content) rule.

How do y'all usually go about exchanging numbers? Just kind of here is my number so we can keep on communicating without this site or some shit?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I always did the 3 message (messages with actual content) rule.

3 messages? Granted, the other times I've gotten girls to go out with me didn't last as long as the 30 that I mentioned, but 3 sounds too soon.

Maddocks

I usually just ask. "Do you want to move this off site and to texts?" or "Wanna talk offsite sometime?"

Sometimes the girl will say shes signing off and gives her number and says,"text me" or times she will say,"no thanks" or "not yet" which is fine, but that's usually where communication stops personally. I'm more of a late asker as in I'll wait till I know for a fact we get along before I even ask. Usually around 8 messages, so after 8-10 messages and shes,"no thanks" then I say,"no problem" and she will really not message me back after that.

kid ness

I usually just ask. "Do you want to move this off site and to texts?" or "Wanna talk offsite sometime?"

Sometimes the girl will say shes signing off and gives her number and says,"text me" or times she will say,"no thanks" or "not yet" which is fine, but that's usually where communication stops personally. I'm more of a late asker as in I'll wait till I know for a fact we get along before I even ask. Usually around 8 messages, so after 8-10 messages and shes,"no thanks" then I say,"no problem" and she will really not message me back after that.
Try a more direct approach. "I'd love to continue this conversation in person. Here's my number/Let's grab coffee on X."

element

As I said in my post, NYC has almost as many single women posting then all the single women in Canada. Even in Seattle you are talking tens of thousands, in NYC you are talking higher hundreds of thousands if not breaking into millions.

jorma

is now taking requests
Do you guys think that a lot of the profiles out there for girls are fake?

Yes, and it's extremly evident when you use a site with a different language. I'm on a swedish site and there are plenty of fake profiles. Hot woman and a text that is obviously written using google translate. It's probably harder to detect in english profiles.

don't know why, email phishing or even worse i assume.

I went on dates with two girl this week:

Girl A: Cute face, quite overweight. Didn't think I'd like her at all but agreed to go out, ended up totally clicking with her and stayed over for two days.

Girl B: Very pretty, seemed to get on with her well during online chatting. Met up with her and she had ZERO personality. She answered every question with single word answers and didn't talk or look at me at all. I assumed the hated me and didn't mind, but then she sent me a text afterwards and said she really like me and wanted to kiss. REALLY?

Quoting my own post here to update:

Girl A: Things have totally changed now. She wanted a relationship right after meeting up, and while I'm not saying I don't want a relationship, I certainly want to get to know someone for more than a week before things happen.

Girl B: We had a chat and she explained she is very shy and feels awkward (just in general, not specifically around me) all the time. I felt bad for dismissing her right away because of it and asked her if she'd like to meet up a few more times to see if she'd start to feel more comfortable. Yesterday was the third time we met up and everything clicked. Ended up spending like 12 hours with her just having fun. It was so nice just being able to hang out in a casual way :)

Well girl 2 just left. I think I may have had the best date of my life. Her and I connected instantly. It was fucking insane. Anyways, she's coming over tomorrow to hang out and I'm bringing to her to a board game night I go to.

Wow. She's amazing...

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Why the fuck am I moving to LA? lol. Nah, it'll be fun. The ratio needs to get fixed in the next 9 months tho.

Tom_Cody

I had never heard this. Those are kind of crazy numbers.

Tom_Cody

How do y'all usually go about exchanging numbers? Just kind of here is my number so we can keep on communicating without this site or some shit?
After ~3 messages (or whenever it feels natural) I will say something like this at the end of a message:

"I hope this doesn’t seem presumptuous, but do you want to meet up for coffee/dinner/drinks sometime? I think it is generally more fun to get to know someone in person."

95% of the time this results in "I'd love to meet up, my number is (xxx)555-5555".

When I first started on the site I used to get into more extended written correspondences but I soon realized that everything sort of goes out the window on the first date. You (and she as well) get such a different impression from meeting in person than anything that can be communicated in text. Additionally, from my experience at least, if you are messaging with a girl then she has already decided that she wants to meet up. The few girls that haven't wanted to meet up seemed to be more unsure about the concept of online dating in general than uninterested in meeting up with me.

I should move to Seattle or LA.

Amory

I've been having a much higher success rate on match and on okcupid because I've been at this for like 6 months now and I just don't really give a shit anymore.

If you go in basically not expecting a response and just send quick casual emails without overthinking them, you'll inevitably come across as more confident which draws more responses.

Got 2 dates lined up for next week already! The actual dates are another matter entirely, though. Despite going out with like 6 different girls I met online, the initial meeting is still nerve-wracking.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Hey, at least she didn't delete her entire profile. That's a huge confidence crusher. :p
Luckily for me a week later I met the girl I have been on a few dates with now. :)

Date 3 tonight.

y2dvd

Strange day yesterday. After weeks of not really getting any messages or getting visits but no reply, I get a few returns yesterday. One just straight out said "not interested" which I replied "at least you're up front about it!" lol. Ouch!

But then I got a reply back asking a girl what her favorite horror movie was. We spent most of the night chatting about movies.

Then I got a message from someone I never even contacted. I replied but she didn't respond until this morning. After a few exchanges, she actually told me to text her and gave me her number and now we're going back and forth texting each other.

It's like OKC just decided to get responsive overnight or something.

Girl I went on two dates with from OKC, let me know she got a new job and is gonna take a break from dating.

We hadn't done too much other than fool around at her place, but we had great chemistry so it was a little bit of a bummer, BUT I really appreciated that she let me know instead of just ignoring me like many girls would.

Oh well, onto the next one, friends.

More than anything else I see flagged pictures of dogs when moderating

Or scammers:
narith_taco's flagged message

From narith_taco to flagger:
hello wow wow nice meet you am just new member on this site now i really love you profile is very nice how was you day go on here i love you country is nice place am from cambodia asia country search serious relationship can you take looking on my profile if is ok with you write me

From flagger to narith_taco:
what part of my profile did u like?

yes nice what are you up to here

hello wow wow nice meet you am just new member on this site now i really love you profile is very nice how was you day go on here i love you country is nice place am from cambodia asia country search serious relationship can you take looking on my profile if is ok with you write me

The worst is when someone goes through a profile, flags everything in it (meaning you get multiple hits for the same profile), and gives no reason at all as to why.

Or people that flag a profile for having something like a self-portrait as "NOT A PIC OF THE USER" when s/he has plenty of other perfectly fine photos.

Az987

all good things
What can I say, I'm a fan.

;)

It's always nice to be appreciated.

Alright, someone rated me highly that's not a dude (I hope those are all you guys). Actually, this is the 4th girl that has but her profile is empty. She looks cute from her picture but she only has one.

Hmmm... hmmm...

Loona

Do you guys think that a lot of the profiles out there for girls are fake?

For a while I exchanged some messages with someone whose profile was actually an aged-down alternate of that person's real profile - the conversation was interesting, but given the circumstances, I didn't bother continuing to contact after a few exchanges with the real profile. Maybe not that common, but it happens.

Been a bit concerned about this one, but this girl with whom I've been having some great exchanges (for once I got a reply back that was considerably longer than my first one to her) mentioned some reluctance and seems concerned about rushing things. Sent her my number during a previous suggestion anyway.
Some of the topics have involved co-op online games, so maybe that'll serve as opening to try and set up something over Skype soon...

Strange day yesterday. After weeks of not really getting any messages or getting visits but no reply, I get a few returns yesterday. One just straight out said "not interested" which I replied "at least you're up front about it!" lol. Ouch!

But then I got a reply back asking a girl what her favorite horror movie was. We spent most of the night chatting about movies.

Then I got a message from someone I never even contacted. I replied but she didn't respond until this morning. After a few exchanges, she actually told me to text her and gave me her number and now we're going back and forth texting each other.

It's like OKC just decided to get responsive overnight or something.

things tend to come in waves, you just gotta be patient

I've noticed that as well. I kind of had a month of general indifference (the site towards me as well as me towards the site) then this week I have three pretty good conversations happening, meeting one of them tomorrow for coffee.

zlatko

Banned
So my ex g/f took the turn for the psycho side. Apparently I never fully logged out of some of my accounts, at least GAF, on here laptop. So she was on here in this thread reading my post history, and texted me getting ape shit about me talking to other girls while I was dating her on OKC.

Yeah shitty move by me for sure, but even more messed up in my mind that she'd go digging through my personal shit and accounts....creepy as fuck.

Az987

all good things
So I'm still talking to this girl and shes got a lot of baggage. She lives 180 miles away and she wants me to be her boyfriend before we've even met.

I said I think we need to meet first and she got all sad.

She gets upset over really small things and shuts me out.

This is so going to end bad.

Jzero

So I'm still talking to this girl and shes got a lot of baggage. She lives 180 miles away and she wants me to be her boyfriend before we've even met.

Dude, bail the fuck out.

Maddocks

180 miles, I cant even handle 35 miles lol. once I see 35 miles away I treat her like she has a kid, instant close of the profile.

Ashhong

Even I would bail the fuck out. Get out. Unless she's super hot. Then bang first, then get out.

mooooose

How hot is she?

Just a suggestion. Do yourself a favor and cut it off.
--
Made a friend and got a number from another chick. Not bad OKC.

RUN BRO.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I just made an account for this thing the other day and have no clue what I'm doing.
sent out two messages and filled out some questions so far.
I have yet to really fill out the about me stuff in detail yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom