• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leeness

You prolly just smell funny. The new OKC sniff detector matches you based on funkiness. ;)

Um, that is a weird issue, maybe if you fiddle around with stuff it'll fix itself?

You can link your profile to see if we have match %age with you to see if it's only broken on your end.

Oh that's probable :( lol

I dunno. I guess it doesn't really matter, I'm just curious.

http://www.okcupid.com/Leeness

Edit: and yes, I know there's absolutely nothing on there lol. I don't mean to actually try to get dates or anything.

Which Match section? Sounds like your settings just need to be reset.

All of them. Lol.

/profile/ then her name

No match percentage, but I can compare answers with you. Have you tried changing the settings in the regular match section to within 25 miles of you or whatever?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Have to have /profile/ in there for the link to work.

Anyway! Leeness:

Drop the "a few extra pounds" part. Put average or something if you must. Your pictures look fine, but negativity in the body type section will make guys click away before they even look.

Other than that, you actually need to have a profile. People need to be able to get some sort of feel for you as a person. Tell some sort of story, of yourself or your aspirations or anything. Hell, I've seen people disregard personal information entirely and wax poetic. Do whatever says "you." They need that spark there in the profile that tells them, "okay, you seem cool," which *will* happen for people if you actually fill it out, and they also need a conversation starter to pull from your profile, e.g., "hey what's up I think that band is awesome too, how's your day," otherwise it can be very awkward to send a first message to someone.

Be positive! Also, second photo is probably best to use as your main one, as it's a bright, clear shot of your face and doesn't look like Myspace angle shenanigans.

zlatko

Banned
I have a 10% match with Leeness. No mention of games as an interest on your profile though? Do you only focus on the off topic part of GAF? If not, you'll get a lot of traffic from the nerdy/geek populus of the world if you mention that on there.

Don't be so quick to dismiss the site as worth your time. A few of us have found relationships from it, so it CAN work if you try. :)

Have to have /profile/ in there for the link to work.

Anyway! Leeness:

Drop the "a few extra pounds" part. Put average or something if you must. Your pictures look fine, but negativity in the body type section will make guys click away before they even look.

Other than that, you actually need to have a profile. People need to be able to get some sort of feel for you as a person. Tell some sort of story, of yourself or your aspirations or anything. Hell, I've seen people disregard personal information entirely and wax poetic. Do whatever says "you." They need that spark there in the profile that tells them, "okay, you seem cool," which *will* happen for people if you actually fill it out, and they also need a conversation starter to pull from your profile, e.g., "hey what's up I think that band is awesome too, how's your day," otherwise it can be very awkward to send a first message to someone.

Be positive! Also, second photo is probably best to use as your main one, as it's a bright, clear shot of your face and doesn't look like Myspace angle shenanigans.

I agree with this for the most part. You definitely need to give yourself an identity of some sort.

However, I would leave what ever you feel most comfortable with under the body type section, but you definitely don't want to short change yourself like EvilLore said.

fmpanda

I agree with this for the most part. You definitely need to be able to give yourself an identity of some sort.

Jumping in cadence with the others here, fill out your profile a bit. When I browse profiles myself, an instant turn-off are the profiles that barely have any thing to them, and I'm not talking about those who use minimalism to convey strong thoughts, I'm talking about those who just post up a couple of words, throw up some pics, and call it a day while wondering why they're not really getting any good messages. I'm not saying go all Wall-O-Text on folks (which is my biggest weakness with my profile right now to be honest as I haven't bothered to actively look for dates), but put enough data in there to give peeps an impression.

Leeness

/profile/ then her name

No match percentage, but I can compare answers with you. Have you tried changing the settings in the regular match section to within 25 miles of you or whatever?

Yeah I tried changing them and it gave me people on the other side of Canada lol. I dunno.

Uh, thanks all for the advice? But I'm not actually looking to do anything. No dating, no thanks. Haha. I just turned it on because it's hilarious to get "u haev boobs omg"

Yeah I tried changing them and it gave me people on the other side of Canada lol. I dunno.

Uh, thanks all for the advice? But I'm not actually looking to do anything. No dating, no thanks. Haha. I just turned it on because it's hilarious to get "u haev boobs omg"

Oh... well in that case trolol away!

Girls gotta be careful when putting pictures up of themselves with other attractive girls. I'm like dang... who's dat other chick?

Then I snap out of it and start thinking like a gentlemen again.

Yeah I've noticed that, especially when I get unsolicited messages, and I look at the next picture and I'm like, "oh, she's the other one."

Leeness

I think I can speak for a few of us here, that we should NOT be encouraging trolling on these sites.

I don't send anything to any one, and the only people who message me are the ones who can't even write like actual human beings, so I don't think I'm hurting anyone.

Except the ones who don't write like human beings.

fmpanda

I think I can speak for a few of us here, that we should NOT be encouraging trolling on these sites.

There's going to be trolling no matter what, sometimes it helps to have a good comeback, especially when you call tell said troll that the creamer of my light will dull the bitterness of their evil unholy coffee.

Jumping in cadence with the others here, fill out your profile a bit. When I browse profiles myself, an instant turn-off are the profiles that barely have any thing to them, and I'm not talking about those who use minimalism to convey strong thoughts, I'm talking about those who just post up a couple of words, throw up some pics, and call it a day while wondering why they're not really getting any good messages. I'm not saying go all Wall-O-Text on folks (which is my biggest weakness with my profile right now to be honest as I haven't bothered to actively look for dates), but put enough data in there to give peeps an impression.

Definitely this.

Usually If I see a pretty girl, with hardly anything in her profile. Auto fake profile detected.

Leeness

Odd, I have 0% match with Leeness but 60-95 match in all of the categories when I click "the two of us".
Meh.

Eh, who knows. Whatever. I'm gonna deactivate it in a week. :D

And yeah, I don't mean trolling as in sending messages to people and getting their hopes up, don't worry. I just troll myself and laugh at the bizarre "u liek pens" or whatever messages that I get sometimes.

zlatko

Banned
I don't send anything to any one, and the only people who message me are the ones who can't even write like actual human beings, so I don't think I'm hurting anyone.

Except the ones who don't write like human beings.

Awww, but I feel bad for even the dumbest of creepers. Even 45 year old neckbeard truckers with cheeto lairs need loving too.

I had a girl message me the other night with just, "Come get your fick sucked." My brain hurt on many levels. :/

zlatko

Banned

And yeah, I don't mean trolling as in sending messages to people and getting their hopes up, don't worry. I just troll myself and laugh at the bizarre "u liek pens" or whatever messages that I get sometimes.

It's a serious question, answer the man. He probably has a penis collection he wants to share with you. Much like that girl is interested in sucking my "fick" whatever the hell that is.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Awww, but I feel bad for even the dumbest of creepers. Even 45 year old neckbeard truckers with cheeto lairs need loving too.

I had a girl message me the other night with just, "Come get your fick sucked." My brain hurt on many levels. :/

Why didn't you go? It was totally real!

Leeness

It's a serious question, answer the man. He probably has a penis collection he wants to share with you. Much like that girl is interested in sucking my "fick" whatever the hell that is.

Lololol. So good.

.GqueB.

Banned

DO you liek pens?

fmpanda

03E0NBw.jpg

JeTmAn81

I live in South Surrey, thank you very much. Lol.

And yes haha, normal Surrey...

Edit: cause it doesn't accept South Surrey. So I made it White Rock lol.

Oh well that's better. I'm not even from the Vancouver area but i just find it funny how much flak Surrey gets.

I have to say though, you shouldnt put profiles like that up just to tease the lonely guys out there. They have it bad enough as it is.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Fair enough, just realize that your profile isn't set up in a such a way to get anything other than "u haev boobs omg." If you ever change your mind about using it, the advice above remains.

Leeness

Lower Main Land Team! Well I grew up in Blaine, so kinda close.

Hurrah!

Oh well that's better. I'm not even from the Vancouver area but i just find it funny how much flak Surrey gets.

I have to say though, you shouldnt put profiles like that up just to tease the lonely guys out there. They have it bad enough as it is.

That's cause Surrey is gross. Lol.

I'm a cynical horrible person who will remain alone forever, I get amusement from it. Lol. Besides, it seems like I don't really exist anyway, what with the 0% and nowhere in Canada and all that haha.

And I'm gonna turn it off once I get through the mandatory period (it said I can't deactivate for a week).

Fair enough, just realize that your profile isn't set up in a such a way to get anything other than "u haev boobs omg." If you ever change your mind about using it, the advice above remains.

Haha well thanks. Men and relationships still make me want to throw up in anxiety so I don't think I'll change my mind but thanks :p

I was just curious about the broken match stuff haha.

zlatko

Banned
Hurrah!

That's cause Surrey is gross. Lol.

I'm a cynical horrible person who will remain alone forever, I get amusement from it. Lol. Besides, it seems like I don't really exist anyway, what with the 0% and nowhere in Canada and all that haha.

And I'm gonna turn it off once I get through the mandatory period (it said I can't deactivate for a week).

Haha well thanks. Men and relationships still make me want to throw up in anxiety so I don't think I'll change my mind but thanks :p

I was just curious about the broken match stuff haha.

What about men and relationships makes you feel anxious? Bad experiences with cheating in the past, or just a lot of douche canoes in general you've dated?

Leeness

What about men and relationships makes you feel anxious? Bad experiences with cheating in the past, or just a lot of douche canoes in general you've dated?

Never dated. And my therapist says I'm not allowed to say the words I used to (and still do) get called by men. Lol.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter haha. And I don't want to stink up the thread with it.

I WAS JUST CURIOUS ABOUT THE MATCH THING :p

zlatko

Banned
Never dated. And my therapist says I'm not allowed to say the words I used to (and still do) get called by men. Lol.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter haha. And I don't want to stink up the thread with it.

I WAS JUST CURIOUS ABOUT THE MATCH THING :p

Psh, you aren't stinking up the thread! GAF over the years has been the biggest help to get my shit together. From getting out of my parents place, to finding a great job, to getting a new girlfriend when I moved to a state where I knew nobody, GAF has really helped me get a handle on shit. <3 this place.

However, I won't poke and prod into your personal shit, but most of us here probably wouldn't mind lending an ear and maybe drop some deep weekend GAF life knowledge to help if you wanted. (Oh and whatever these guys said to you that made you feel insecure are shits who probably had issues with themselves.)

CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT! :p

-----

As an aside I had a productive day on OKC. Messaged back and forth around 10-15 women, and got 1 number to start texting someone else again. :)

Leeness

Psh, you aren't stinking up the thread! GAF over the years has been the biggest help to get my shit together. From getting out of my parents place, to finding a great job, to getting a new girlfriend when I moved to a state where I knew nobody, GAF has really helped me get a handle on shit. <3 this place.

However, I won't poke and prod into your personal shit, but most of us here probably wouldn't mind lending an ear and maybe drop some deep weekend GAF life knowledge to help if you wanted. (Oh and whatever these guys said to you that made you feel insecure are shits who probably had issues with themselves.)

CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT! :p

-----

As an aside I had a productive day on OKC. Messaged back and forth around 10-15 women, and got 1 number to start texting someone else again. :)

Haha nah it's okay. Honestly not looking to fix myself in this department. I'm more content to be a hermit. Thanks though.

And I've verbally vomited all over GAF enough with my personal issues :p

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I'm not getting any where right now, lol. Just gotta keep going, I guess, trying what I can, but damn, slow goings.

At least there is more women on it out here than when I tried it in South Dakota.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom