• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after musing on this a bit and downing some Jack Daniels, I went ahead and told her I was into her. And lo and behold, she tells me she's into me as well, and that she sent me a text that I never received, and assumed I wasn't interested. Grrrr technology. Quite a harrowing event for my current fragile psyche, but hey the date is back on.

Congrats bro and g/l!

anybody here closed their okc accounts? i closed it because it was depressing logging in and nothing.

I closed mine for about a month and a half in November/December as I needed a breather from the daily grind. I was getting messages, but it was becoming tedious.

Maddocks

anybody here closed their okc accounts? i closed it because it was depressing logging in and nothing.

I closed mine, because the number of girls I rated and messaged was reaching crazy stupid numbers. It was showing me girls in san diego as girls near me (I live in los angeles) so it let me know I need to take a step back

I closed mine for about a month and a half in November/December as I needed a breather from the daily grind. I was getting messages, but it was becoming tedious.

I've also closed mine off for a while. Give it a few weeks/months then come back. There will be a lot of fresh faces and you'll have a new approach.

EDIT: I mean I've closed mine off in the past currently have a few potentials and a date on Saturday.

Spinluck

I think I might close my account after I ask my crush to go out with me. It's getting close to Vday, so maybe that'll help my cause.

If she says no, I'll keep the account.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Closed mine down for several months after no results and getting pretty frustrated with it and exhausting my very, very limited supply of women age 18-29 in South Dakota. It started suggesting girls 500 miles away, lolol.

Is there any way that someone can use a google phone number for nefarious reasons? This new girl popped up with her screen name as her phone number. I used google voice to call it and it rang till the answer message came on telling me that "this google phone customer is not available, please leave a message". I then texted it from my cell phone and she responded. I gave her a fake name. Guys?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Well, just had my first OkCupid date. I think it went okay, but she bolted after we finished dinner so I don't expect a follow up. On top of my face breaking out, I heard some very bad news about my job 90 minutes beforehand; I was not in the best mood. She offered to pay, which surprised me. All I had was a twenty and two dollars so I couldn't even leave a good tip. After how long should I send a text telling her I had a good time? I didn't feel any chemistry between us but I don't regret meeting up with her.

Mistakes I made after some reflection:
-Talked with food in my mouth.
-Got food on my face too often.
-Talked too negatively.

Oh well, it's experience!

Well, just had my first OkCupid date. I think it went okay, but she bolted after we finished dinner so I don't expect a follow up. On top of my face breaking out, I heard some very bad news about my job 90 minutes beforehand; I was not in the best mood. She offered to pay, which surprised me. All I had was a twenty and two dollars so I couldn't even leave a good tip. After how long should I send a text telling her I had a good time? I didn't feel any chemistry between us but I don't regret meeting up with her.

-Talked too negatively.

If there's no chemistry, why bother texting at all? If you feel you must, just send one now that says thanks or w/e

bjb

Banned

-Talked too negatively.

My god the negativity in this post lol. You might as well have jumped out the nearest window.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
If there's no chemistry, why bother texting at all? If you feel you must, just send one now that says thanks or w/e
I'm actually not sure whether we had no chemistry or my bad day just made it to difficult for me to feel that way. I figured I should out of politeness.
My god the negativity in this post lol. You might as well have jumped out the nearest window.
What? I enjoyed myself, the very bad news from work just dampened my spirits.

The best thing I can say about the evening is she smiled a lot and there were very few moments of silence. Nearly non-stop talking.

dralla

well, just text her you had a good time and you'd like to see her again, see how she responds.

girl I've been talking to wants to meet up! I can't believe she responded to my message, let alone seems interested. I was sure I wasn't gonna be her "type", she's definitely one of the better looking girls I've talked to and it's nice to see she's into our conversations, not like pulling teeth like some of the other convos I've had

Pastry

Banned
girl I've been talking to wants to meet up! I can't believe she responded to my message, let alone seems interested. I was sure I wasn't gonna be her "type", she's definitely one of the better looking girls I've talked to and it's nice to see she's into our conversations, not like pulling teeth like some of the other convos I've had

Haha this perfectly describes my situation right now, meeting with her tomorrow. This chick is the coolest one I'v talked to, fingers crossed I don't get catfished (I don't think I will).

zlatko

Banned

I need to disable mine for now, but I left it up for tonight to get 1 more # from a cute girl who I messaged a lot on there.

At this point I have 8 people I haven't even responded to, and signed in tonight to quite a few more new girls I've never chatted with on there trying to spark conversation, a few of which were cute.

...idk wtf the universe is about to set up for me, perhaps I'm going to get hit by a bus, but I'm terrified.

One of the women I was texting...asked ME out on a first date. I was like woah...wtf? Which is great since we actually do have like a 90% match on friend and romance, and she isn't needy to text me a lot each day. We get to message each other once or twice at most due to our crazy schedules, and when we do it's lengthy ones to make up for the fact we can't all day due to the jobs as mentioned.

So, here's another problem now. I'm texting all these women, have dates lined up, have the money to do so, but my job just today axed a shit ton of people, promoted me and has me training people, and now for the next 2 weeks I have OT each day and no days off.

Universe karma trying to curb stomp me. Here's hotties zlatko, but you just can't hang out with them since you are busy. Ugh...

Leeness

Annoyed.

I paid for a month of match.com (curiosity... :/) and I was talking to someone that may have been a nice friend or something. I need some male friends that aren't online, maybe it would help me get over my fear. I even told him that I was just looking for friends and he said that was cool.

And we were just talking about jobs and stuff and then he just stopped talking to me.

Whatever. It's annoying. Haha. Someone did it last week too. We were talking about travelling and he just stopped talking.

Annoyed.

I paid for a month of match.com (curiosity... :/) and I was talking to someone that may have been a nice friend or something. I need some male friends that aren't online, maybe it would help me get over my fear. I even told him that I was just looking for friends and he said that was cool.

And we were just talking about jobs and stuff and then he just stopped talking to me.

Whatever. It's annoying. Haha. Someone did it last week too. We were talking about travelling and he just stopped talking.

Yeah it goes both ways unfortunately. I've had situations where we're talking for weeks, and it'll even end with her asking a question and me answering and "boom!" no reply.

Leeness

Yeah it goes both ways unfortunately. I've had situations where we're talking for weeks, and it'll even end with her asking a question and me answering and "boom!" no reply.

Pretty much. I asked a few questions and no reply.

Whatever. Haha. I guess it's better than him shooting back a "you're too yuck/boring/whatever for me to talk to bye". Haha.

Oh well.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Annoyed.

Possible he just started dating someone and didn't feel right talking still. Or maybe he got bored. Who knows.

I have gotten very bored with back and forth conversation with some people. Especially if I have to direct all the conversation or the other person refuses to acknowledge me.

Maddocks

When it comes to pay sites, they are usually catered to dating and relationships more then friends because of the nature of the site. You are paying money to shine. While you might be a great person, you are also only looking for friends with nothing more then just that. While other women on the site are looking for relationships. He has a option. See where the friendship goes, where you clearly laid it out that it will not go anyplace other then hanging out. While other women are messaging him back and him messaging girls with the main aim of going out to be in a relationship.

Don't give up, there is someone who is just like you who just wants a friend to talk to and share stories with. I'm the same way, I actually resigned up to okc awhile back just to get female friends because I had none. Then I realized I'm not cute enough to even win them over lol It happens. I now have one female friend and even with her things are distant. I'm treated more of a time waster in between her doing things then I am treated as a friend. So I think its better to have a person ignore you then you try to drag a friendship out of a person.

End of line.

purg3

slept with Malkin
So I posted earlier last month about a girl that I started talking to around early December. We talked a bit before finally meeting. We hit it off from the start and through out the last month tried to spend as much time as possible with each other despite work schedule conflicts. We actually both played hookey from work one day so we could spend the day with each other. Things continued from there up until now where we both decided that we are going to be together. Things just feel natural when we are together, something I haven't felt in a long time with someone. She's an awesome girl, and I can't believe online dating actually worked for me, since I was super skeptical going into this. Thanks to everyone that helped with my profile and all the tips and positivity. There were definitely some points during this process where I wanted to just delete my shit and never go back out of frustration, but I'm glad I didn't. I actually did end disabling my account a couple of weeks ago, but I'll probably continue to watch this thread and hopefully get to read many more success stories.

Thanks guys/gals and good luck!

Az987

all good things
I met a girl to play Xbox with the other day lol. That's something, right? She lives 400 miles away and has a boy friend but I think she likes me. She made fun of me for walking into the trip bombs in Resident Evil 5 though.

DrBo42

When it comes to pay sites, they are usually catered to dating and relationships more then friends because of the nature of the site. You are paying money to shine. While you might be a great person, you are also only looking for friends with nothing more then just that. While other women on the site are looking for relationships. He has a option. See where the friendship goes, where you clearly laid it out that it will not go anyplace other then hanging out. While other women are messaging him back and him messaging girls with the main aim of going out to be in a relationship.

Don't give up, there is someone who is just like you who just wants a friend to talk to and share stories with. I'm the same way, I actually resigned up to okc awhile back just to get female friends because I had none. Then I realized I'm not cute enough to even win them over lol It happens. I now have one female friend and even with her things are distant. I'm treated more of a time waster in between her doing things then I am treated as a friend. So I think its better to have a person ignore you then you try to drag a friendship out of a person.

End of line.

I know that feel. You're so right.

Bad Triple Date Story.

>Went to the movies
>Friend gets kidnapped in a mini van
>Over 90mph car chase
>Crazy B*tches speeding to get Coffee at a Starbucks... At 1:00 in the morning!!
>Snatched our friend back and took off.
>Asked him if he knew these girls. Says Yes.
Asked him where. And says "MySpace".

Moral of the Story. Don't Date Anyone on Myspace, OkcGAF. Feels like something out of a movie almost...

bjb

Banned
Bad Triple Date Story.

>Went to the movies
>Over 90mph car chase
>Crazy B*tches speeding to get Coffee at a Starbucks... At 1:00 in the morning!!

Moral of the Story. Don't Date Anyone on Myspace, OkcGAF. Feels like something out of a movie almost...

What the hell. Did you meet these people in a trailer park or something? Also how did your friend get kidnapped lol

What the hell. Did you meet these people in a trailer park or something? Also how did your friend get kidnapped lol
Lol At the Movie Theaters. He got kidnapped by two of them within the parking lot. The dude was trying to claw his way through the window.

Its like Cops meets Blind Date and Social Network, sorta.

Bad Triple Date Story.

>Went to the movies
>Over 90mph car chase

Who the heck even uses MySpace anymore? @.@

RoH

-Talked too negatively.

Keep your pride, say nothing.

!

Exactly! Though if you feel though that there's a small enough reason for you to try and date her one more time then do text the day after (today?). If even there's the smallest margin of chemistry left over then do it. Tbh, I've learned that coffee dates make the best first dates since it's low pressure, relatively inexpensive and easy exit.

Way to keep your spirit up though and look at it as a learning experience! Or as Jim Harbaugh so meticulously put it, "(The Super Bowl loss) certainly hurts, but you can live with regret. Becoming dispirited and not competing, you can't live with that."

That said....I just started talking to an awesome girl on OKC who's into anime. Usually I suggest meeting about four emails in on whether or not they'd be interested in meeting on a Wed or Thu... and well, the time has come for that fourth email. I'm planning to ask her out over OKC soon but with Vday coming up is that even a viable day to suggest meeting her for a first date? Am I overthinking this (high probability)? HELP ME OKCGAF!

Depends how into you she is. Personally I'd say not yet and pick another day. Pick the day before and lead your date into Valentine's Day midnight and woo her then.

not serious about the last part

Annoyed.

Pretty much. I asked a few questions and no reply.

Whatever. Haha. I guess it's better than him shooting back a "you're too yuck/boring/whatever for me to talk to bye". Haha.

Oh well.

]He was just looking at my profile and has a few times today. Haha.

Whatever man.

Oh well. :p

Honestly, I bet either one of your messages or his replies got eaten by the site. That shit has happened so many times to me on OKC that I barely even bother starting up conversations anymore. I'll reply to a message and then check back a bit later to see that the damned thing had never been sent.

Depends how into you she is. Personally I'd say not yet and pick another day. Pick the day before and lead your date into Valentine's Day midnight and woo her then.

not serious about the last part

You sir, are brilliant.

edit: If it matters, she's been getting back to me within the same hour of me messaging her. Never had that happen before...

Leeness

Honestly, I bet either one of your messages or his replies got eaten by the site. That shit has happened so many times to me on OKC that I barely even bother starting up conversations anymore. I'll reply to a message and then check back a bit later to see that the damned thing had never been sent.

It said it was delivered (and in my sent folder) so I doubt that's it. Haha. Oh well.

zlatko

Banned
Annoyed.

I paid for a month once. Waste of money for me. OKC seems to get the best results for me than match. Like no one replies on that site or did in the time I used it. :/

I paid for a month once. Waste of money for me. OKC seems to get the best results for me than match. Like no one replies on that site or did in the time I used it. :/

The one thing that Match has going for it that OKC doesn't is the ability to check whether or not someone's read your email/message. Other than that, OKC is superior.

Leeness

Eeeh both are no good :p

The one thing that Match has going for it that OKC doesn't is the ability to check whether or not someone's read your email/message. Other than that, OKC is superior.

I can't see if people read mine unless I give them ~even more money~. Pft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom