• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.
She didn't say I was amazing back. :( Relationship over.

In seriousness, saying she was awesome was not the best way to communicate I enjoyed our Skype date last night, but that's how I feel.

Glad it went well! How far does the girl live from you? Just curious as to why you didn't just meet up for a coffee date or something...

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Glad it went well! How far does the girl live from you? Just curious as to why you didn't just meet up for a coffee date or something...
We didn't meet up because she doesn't have her license yet. She's taking her test at the end of the month. She lives ~90 minutes from me, which might sound bad, but I am in her area twice a month, so if things persist I can meet with her then. I figure if distance was an issue for her she would have ended things before now.

We didn't meet up because she doesn't have her license yet. She's taking her test at the end of the month. She lives ~90 minutes from me, which might sound bad, but I am in the area twice a month, so if things persist I can meet with her then.

Gotcha. Makes total sense then. Although granted you could've been totally awesome and showed up at her doorstep to pick her up with a truck/car full of roses :D. Anyways good luck, bro! Hope my date tomorrow night goes just as good :V.

Had this cute girl actually message me, after I viewed her profile. I was halfway through writing her a message and then she sent me one.

We seemed to hit it off, just texting so far, we're going to Skype Thursday, and then we're setting up a legit date on Saturday night.

It's funny she asked me if I wanted to see some more pictures of her, I agree, she emails me, and I'm like "Why don't you use these pictures on your profile? They're amazing!" They really show off her sense of humor and playful side, while the ones on her profile are just standard headshots.

Rikyfree

Ok, I signed up for this. I'm pretty new to the whole internet dating scene. Is there a list of do's and don'ts to this or is more of a just winging it affair?

Az987

all good things
Ok, I signed up for this. I'm pretty new to the whole internet dating scene. Is there a list of do's and don'ts to this or is more of a just winging it affair?

The guys here will offer advice but I usually just throw everything at the wall I can and see what sticks.

I've learned mostly from hands-on experience what works, what sometimes works and what makes you look like an idiot. We can suggest all the tips we can, but it's really up to you in the end :).

Rikyfree

I was just wondering is all. I know it's up to me, I'm just really green when it comes to relationships (as in never been in one and I'm 28). I know I'm a charmer already, and have had quite the multitude of chances before, just not been interested in one like ever til recently. It's kind of exciting really. Like stepping forth into an unfamiliar country. There's a feeling that everything may come crashing down in a spectacular fashion or something great might happen. Nevertheless, it will be interesting.
@wabbit Thanks for the link to that! It should help a little.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Gotcha. Makes total sense then. Although granted you could've been totally awesome and showed up at her doorstep to pick her up with a truck/car full of roses :D. Anyways good luck, bro! Hope my date tomorrow night goes just as good :V.
I'm willing to pick her up to do something but that puts her in an awkward exit strategy. She also can't know for sure that I'm not some weirdo who will kill/rape her. We can't hang at her place either because due to her dog no visitors are allowed over; it has real anxiety issues. Not sure how'd she feel about it anyways as she lives with her folks.

My biggest concern with women is I'll end up liking them more than they like me. I didn't feel that way with my last ex but the worry is already rising. I need to keep telling myself if she's not into me that's not necessary a bad reflection of me. I think it's too easy to do that when you think the other person is fantastic, which is the case here.

Ashhong

Idk. Based off what just happened to me now I say it is.

The girl I met at the coffee shop after that day, didn't reply to a text. I wait till now to just text her again since I got the hint, but wanted to make sure her phone didn't break or some shit.

I text her hey hey what's up. Get back a, "Hey...who is this?" I reply "Z...ouch. I guess coffee for you wasn't that good even though I had a good time." Something to that regard. Followed it up 15 mins later with "Sorry. I won't text you anymore. I didn't mean to come off annoying. I was just trying to follow up to make sure your phone hadn't broke or something. I had a good time, but I guess it was meh for you. No biggy. Have a good one."

So yeah... that felt awkward.

Oh god man, why did you do this :( Could have written that much better lol, but I guess in the end it doesn't matter

Maddocks

Be funny and charming and don't take it serious when you get ignored(you will be ignored) and don't get discouraged or sad when a girl you are connecting with suddenly vanishes off the earth. Try to keep talking to a minimum. Over talking is a killer in the begging stages of getting to know a person. If you lay all your cards on the table then the mystery is gone.

the major don't, is simple. Never get head over heels for a girl. If she says she loves you after 3 weeks of talking, consider that a good run and bail before your kidneys and eyes end up on the black market. Also if you do fall in love after 3 weeks, may a deity of your choosing have mercy on your soul.

Pastry

Banned

I've learned mostly from hands-on experience what works, what sometimes works and what makes you look like an idiot. We can suggest all the tips we can, but it's really up to you in the end :).

I really do think its a hands-on experience type of thing. The more I have used it the better I have gotten at receiving responses. I'm 2/9 in responses for the past week and they are the two most attractive girls I messaged. That was definitely not the case when I started using OKC and POF. Just don't get discouraged.

The girl I met at the coffee shop after that day, didn't reply to a text. I wait till now to just text her again since I got the hint, but wanted to make sure her phone didn't break or some shit.

I text her hey hey what's up. Get back a, "Hey...who is this?" I reply "Z...ouch. I guess coffee for you wasn't that good even though I had a good time." Something to that regard. Followed it up 15 mins later with "Sorry. I won't text you anymore. I didn't mean to come off annoying. I was just trying to follow up to make sure your phone hadn't broke or something. I had a good time, but I guess it was meh for you. No biggy. Have a good one."

Why would you sabotage your own game like that? Sometimes people forget to save numbers.

A little bored tonight:

dx7Ayy8.jpg

bjb

Banned

Wow that made me cringe lol.

If you're uncertain of what you're typing or it even remotely feels awkward - dont.press.send.

kiryogi

Banned
Yeeeeah, don't ever go sabotaging your own game like that. The biggest mistake you can make here is to assume and then call them out with your assumptions. When the reality comes that she forgot your number, or something crucial happened. . . It's game over and you're the one with egg on the face.

That's sweet of you. I'm relatively new to both OKC and neogaf and another high rating couldn't hurt. I'll PM my username, if that's acceptable.

Yes. Also I probably wont get to them till tomorrow some time, I'm in and out of falling asleep. Nap I took earlier really messed me up.

You guys should post your username's on the thread so you get more ratings. That is, unless you don't want a bunch of random dudes visiting your profile haha

You can post it as an "e-mail" link so that only members can see when they quote your post.
Example below:

You guys should post your username's on the thread so you get more ratings. That is, unless you don't want a bunch of random dudes visiting your profile haha

You can post it as an "e-mail" link so that only members can see when they quote your post.
Example below:

Fair enough!

Here it is...

Rated you as well. :D I think OKCupid would be way easier to deal with if I lived back in LA or closer to London/Manchester. Sheffield is kinda abysmal in comparison. xD

Maddocks

Highly rated people are less likely to show up in searches/matches of people with low or no ratings

Thus, highly rated men see highly rated women

At least, that's what I've been told on this thread

you are correct.

default is locked to 3 stars. When you are rated highly that opens up more people for you to see.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Are ratings supposed to be based on appearance or the person overall? I give mine based on the latter.

I'd post mine here if I didn't feel like I'd be cheating the system lol.

zlatko

Banned
So in response to that awkward text, it wasn't EXACTLY what I said to her, but just a paraphrase.

Either way I don't feel shitty about it at all or anything. Coffee with her was fine, we had texted for a little over a week up to then, and then she disappeared. I wanted to make sure what my sneaking suspicion had made me feel, and sure enough it was. IDGAF mainly because aside from her I'm talking to plenty of other women, and she isn't the one I actually like a lot. I wouldn't sabotage myself like that on something that was going well with a woman haha.

As for the girl I was supposed to have date 3 with, but then she cancelled due to sickness and me being unsure if that was the case or not; it definitely was the truth, because I got the exact same cold a day later. :/ Extremely tired, face hurts, sandpaper throat, fever, etc. I slept for 15 hours straight.

I'm supposed to have a date with a different girl tomorrow, but this cold is kicking my ass! :(

PK Gaming

So I finally went out on a date with the girl i've been chatting on okcupid for ages We had a lot in common, so I was looking forward to meeting her in real life.

Our date wasn't bad per se but... we just didn't feel it romantically. I'm ok, but a little disappointed since I don't think i'll meet a girl as awesome as her. I suppose I should keep trying.

Never gonna give this up ♪

So I finally went out on a date with the girl i've been chatting on okcupid for ages We had a lot in common, so I was looking forward to meeting her in real life.

Our date wasn't bad per se but... we just didn't feel it romantically. I'm ok, but a little disappointed since I don't think i'll meet a girl as awesome as her. I suppose I should keep trying.

Were both of you expecting a romantic connection before y'all met?

It's really why I've learned not to divulge too much over email and to keep things simple and short. No matter what the match percentages are (what were they btw? I'm just wondering) you can't measure in-person chemistry.

That said, I'm being cautiously optimistic about meeting this one girl tonight. On paper, we match well. But that's on paper, it's impossible to measure chemistry until you actually meet the person.

As I said before, I went on three dates with a girl I wasn't really feeling romantically during the first date. She was nice enough, but I never felt any spark until I gave up to my inner-beta at the end of our second date to see if I can generate anything. It ended up making me try to force myself to like her until we mutually agreed to be friends.

zlatko

Banned

It's one of the things I've com to learn myself is that as great as the messaging/texting can be, you cannot keep it going on for too long. The sooner you meet, the better actually, because you can divulge more awesome things about each other in person to spark up a chemistry.

It's one of the things I've com to learn myself is that as great as the messaging/texting can be, you cannot keep it going on for too long. The sooner you meet, the better actually, because you can divulge more awesome things about each other in person to spark up a chemistry.

Yah, I can honestly only text/message random shit for so long before I start to get bored. I typically try to setup a meeting within three to four emails as I feel there's no point of becoming attached to their messages. It only ends up badly.

zlatko

Banned
Yah, I can honestly only text/message random shit for so long before I start to get bored. I typically try to setup a meeting within three to four emails as I feel there's no point of becoming attached to their messages. It only ends up badly.

Yup. That's why if I have about 6 succesful messages on the site, then I offer out my # for texting, if texting is fine for a day or two, then I set up a meet up for the day most plauisble for both, generally a weekend.

Then again, I'm doing probably the opposite with the girl I like haha. We talked probably for 2 weeks on long messages, texted a bit, hung out, like each other as friends and a bit more on both ends, but we both think our romantic partner should be someone we are a great friend with as well or it'll never work. Neither of us want a bang buddy

Idk she's awesome, and while I'm trying to follow the advice of friends and others to not play a long game and get disappointed, I'm going to take all the time it takes to see if I can get this right with her since she does seem to be worth all the effort. :)

Wazzim

Banned
Highly rated people are less likely to show up in searches/matches of people with low or no ratings

Thus, highly rated men see highly rated women

At least, that's what I've been told on this thread

you are correct.

default is locked to 3 stars. When you are rated highly that opens up more people for you to see.

Oh wow didn't know that.

Here's my profile if someone is kind enough to leave a rating, you can post/PM me yours and I'll rate you back.

Jaffaboy

Is it a good move to let a woman dictate the texting if you start feeling like you're the one always driving the conversation?

Yeah. Push and pull. If they message you spontaneously then you have more of an idea if they're interested or not. Sometimes it takes a while but if someone is interested they'll message you too. A general rule is don't get attached on one person, go for abundance, and wait for them to make the move once you plant the seed. It's less work, and less of a thought process when you don't initiate messages.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Yeah. Push and pull. If they message you spontaneously then you have more of an idea if they're interested or not. Sometimes it takes a while but if someone is interested they'll message you too. A general rule is don't get attached on one person, go for abundance, and wait for them to make the move once you plant the seed. It's less work, and less of a thought process when you don't initiate messages.
Thought so. I haven't been looking at other women a whole lot on the site since I started texting her, which I know I shouldn't be doing. I'll put her in charge while I keep gazing over the landscape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom