• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklord

Banned
So I decided to ditch good messages. I come up with(not to brag) some really witty, cleaver shit and all I get is a profile view. Well, screw it. I'm going to "would you rather?" messages. Like geeky girls will get "Would you rather a T-rex as a pet or a trip to the moon?" and ones that are food lovers will get a strange food question like "Would you rather eat a block of cheese the size of your foot or 200 chicken nuggets?".

No point putting in creative effort for naught. I'll see how it goes.

So I decided to ditch good messages. I come up with(not to brag) some really witty, cleaver shit and all I get is a profile view. Well, screw it. I'm going to "would you rather?" messages. Like geeky girls will get "Would you rather a T-rex as a pet or a trip to the moon?" and ones that are food lovers will get a strange food question like "Would you rather eat a block of cheese the size of your foot or 200 chicken nuggets?".

No point putting in creative effort for naught. I'll see how it goes.

I went that way and I think it works better. It's all about that first hook.

This approach leads to dates?

I don't know why the fuck this made me lol so hard. I think it was just perfect timing me with me also thinking, "Is this just going to a lead to a series of conversation questionnaires?"

Not knocking anyone using the system - it's obviously great at getting a convo started, but I can't help but imagine a bunch of GAFfers having a ton of simultaneous dialogues with hot women that are all just based on a series of quizzes.

ReRixo

Banned
OKC seems pretty cool

So I sent someone a message

She looks at my profile

Doesn't reply

*Deletes OKC*

I don't know if I'm being too picky, or if the OKC users around me are just ugly...

lethial

Reeeeeeee
OKC seems pretty cool

She looks at my profile

Doesn't reply

*Deletes OKC*

I don't know if I'm being too picky, or if the OKC users around me are just ugly...

Yah I haven't found one OKC girl that I'm attracted to. I'm probably going to delete mine.

You don't consider completely ignoring someone as rude?

Have you missed all the stories in here about how many messages some women get? At first I felt bad about not replying to guys I wasn't interested in but when I asked in this thread, the overwhelming consensus was to ignore as it's better in the long run - no point leading someone on. Plus I've ended up getting in to some pretty unpleasant dialogue with men who can't take a hint (although I guess it's partly my fault for rising to the bait). And what do you want her to say anyway? Thanks but no thanks?

RoH

Every time you post in a topic about dating, I crack up at your misogyny and total lack of experience/empathy/understanding of what it's like to be a woman on a dating site.

Men and Women alike have ridiculous preconceived expectations about dating in general. It's not just women, and that particular statement about women is becoming trite.

(._.)

Banned
This approach leads to dates?

Yes, for the most part. Really depends where you have your standards set at. If you're into average boring women they may feel put off or confused by that approach. If you're into more sophisticated intelligent women, going out of the way to do something quirky/funny to show her you're not like every other guy goes a long way. just think, she's probably heard or been asked a billion times everything you're thinking of saying to her, to paraphrase "you're pretty please date me :("

think outside the box, have some fun with the site and most importantly don't take it too seriously. you wont be getting messages back from EVERY girl you chat up but that's the way life is. Most guys even the good looking ones all have similar success rates.

The girls who like you will message you back.

Pastry

Banned
OKC seems pretty cool

She looks at my profile

Doesn't reply

*Deletes OKC*

Yah I haven't found one OKC girl that I'm attracted to. I'm probably going to delete mine.

Are y'all in big cities? Or having unrealistic expectations? I'm in a city of 2 million people and there are plenty of attractive women for all kind of preferences.

Fiftyeight

Neo Member
I've had a bittersweet run as of late. I've been back and forth with a good five or six girls at a time all week.

One who was really meshing with me in conversation dropped off the face of the earth one day, which isn't a big deal. I'm not the type to go into paranoia and wonder about it. Perhaps she was busy. But nearly every other day she still visits my profile without saying a word. And we didn't have one-word replies to each other; we sent handfuls of lengthy paragraphs back and forth because we were both feeling it. It's one of the few times I've been genuinely confused about what happened.

Met up with another girl for drinks last night, but she also had her drunk girlfriends with her. That part wasn't really the big deal because I can keep up, but the problem was they were so overwhelming that her and I didn't get much personal conversation in. We had a good time but there was so much more potential there. This made for an awkward end to the evening, and I don't get the impression she's open to pursuing it further.

All the other ladies are cute and fun to talk to, but I don't see much coming from them. I don't ever bank on just one girl coming through; it's definitely a blow to the ego when the ones you're looking forward to don't work out, though.

Maddocks

the replies I get from "HEY GURL WHEN YOU GONNA MAKE THEM CHEEKS CLAP FOR ME?!" are pretty silly.

one asked for money, another said when I let someone shit in my mouth. I knew these would be the replies but still makes me laugh that they actually replied instead of just ignoring the question like I assumed most would.

the replies I get from "HEY GURL WHEN YOU GONNA MAKE THEM CHEEKS CLAP FOR ME?!" are pretty silly.

one asked for money, another said when I let someone shit in my mouth. I knew these would be the replies but still makes me laugh that they actually replied instead of just ignoring the question like I assumed most would.

Are you good looking?

So yeah, finally decided I'd ask you guys and girls for your opinions on my profile:
http://www.okcupid.com/profile/Beruto

What do you think?

It's actually kind of hard to find girls (that interest me) where I am, and I don't seem to be very successful so far. I've just tried the 'pizza or sushi' thing. We'll see if that works.

Obviously if anyone is kind enough to give me a 5-star rating I'll take it!

Just rated you! First thing that I immediately noticed is that you put a smilie in your profile. Now this is just my preference, but I would take it out. Completely up to you though.

Maddocks

Are you good looking?

average I suppose. I mean I say it only to troll. I'm pretty set in dating. I use it for POF and not on okcupid, because POF is easy pickings. Where all the girls are,"I want to get married" yet had titties hanging out in ever picture.

If I was serious, believe me I would use the pizza or kittens ice breaker.

Necrovex

So yeah, finally decided I'd ask you guys and girls for your opinions on my profile:
http://www.okcupid.com/profile/Beruto

What do you think?

It's actually kind of hard to find girls (that interest me) where I am, and I don't seem to be very successful so far. I've just tried the 'pizza or sushi' thing. We'll see if that works.

Obviously if anyone is kind enough to give me a 5-star rating I'll take it!

Tossed you a five star rating.

I would kill off the "I'm quiet" part. It's fine if you are quiet, but that can be a red flag for some women. Your profile should be aiming to show the best side of you. You're marketing yourself!

I also dig all the languages you can speak. I simply feel good being able to speak broken-ass Japanese as my secondary language.

Az987

all good things
I got a reply to my speed reference message.

She said she wouldn't go over 49 mph or just wouldn't ride the bus. What an unimaginative response.

Maddocks

I got a reply to my speed reference message.

She said she wouldn't go over 49 mph or just wouldn't ride the bus. What an unimaginative response.

how would she know there is a bomb on her car? without the knowledge why would she limit herself to 49 mph? What if her speedometer is off and 49 to her eye is 51 to her car? She willing to risk life and death for a inaccurate instrument?

Az987

all good things
how would she know there is a bomb on her car? without the knowledge why would she limit herself to 49 mph? What if her speedometer is off and 49 to her eye is 51 to her car? She willing to risk life and death for a inaccurate instrument?

I should tell her that there is a bomb in her computer and it was just armed because of that terrible reponse.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I am new to OKC, how do you see who rated you and how high they scored you?

From what I saw you can't see who rated you with a free account. You have to upgrade. However you can know how many rated you.

Just rated you! First thing that I immediately noticed is that you put a smilie in your profile. Now this is just my preference, but I would take it out. Completely up to you though.

Thanks! Yeah, I debated that. I'll probably delete it.

Tossed you a five star rating.

I would kill off the "I'm quiet" part. It's fine if you are quiet, but that can be a red flag for some women. Your profile should be aiming to show the best side of you. You're marketing yourself!

I also dig all the languages you can speak. I simply feel good being able to speak broken-ass Japanese as my secondary language.

Thank you for the rating and comments. I didn't see the "quiet" thing as a quality or a flaw, just a character trait, but I guess it makes sense. I'll get rid of that as well.

Well, just broke up with this girl I've been seeing for about 4 months now. She was looking for something more serious, and I just don't want to be in a serious relationship right now.

Then she proceeded to tell me that she thinks that she loves me. It was like a Hydrogen Bomb on me

I still feel like I made the right choice to break it off. But...

feelsbadman.jpg

Maddocks

Well, just broke up with this girl I've been seeing for about 4 months now. She was looking for something more serious, and I just don't want to be in a serious relationship right now.

Then she proceeded to tell me that she thinks that she loves me. It was like a Hydrogen Bomb on me

feelsbadman.jpg

I have been there. It does feel bad, but someone telling you "I love you" as you are breaking up really is a hail marry pass in hopes to get you to stay. Good for you to stick to your guns.

Every time you post in a topic about dating, I crack up at your misogyny and total lack of experience/empathy/understanding of what it's like to be a woman on a dating site.
Having a dick is sort of preventing my experience as a woman on a dating site from accumulating. I also disagree with your opinion that I'm not empathic and if I understood women then I wouldn't be on GAF posting in threads with other men who understand them even less.

Have you missed all the stories in here about how many messages some women get? At first I felt bad about not replying to guys I wasn't interested in but when I asked in this thread, the overwhelming consensus was to ignore as it's better in the long run - no point leading someone on. And what do you want her to say anyway? Thanks but no thanks?
I understand that women must get a fair amount of messages, how much that is I haven't the slightest clue. I can understand not responding because you're not interested but that also leads guys on. "Oh, she's probably bombarded and just hasn't had a chance to read my message. I'll send another one!" It's that or the entire female population has zero interest in me and I'd rather think my message was just lost in the shuffle because the alternative is much more depressing... =\

I only do if they don't respond but then keep viewing your profile.
That one really gets me. What the heck does it mean?

zlatko

Banned

feelsbadman.jpg

Well you were with her for 4 months, and you weren't thinking it was going to go places? I mean, I had the same issue so I'm not one to talk. 5 months, she loved me, I wasn't in love with her, and I had to pull the curtain down on it. It does suck since you feel like the biggest douche canoe alive to do it to someone who is genuinely a good person, but you know deep down isn't the one you're looking for.

Best of luck brother.

I have been there. It does feel bad, but someone telling you "I love you" as you are breaking up really is a hail marry pass in hopes to get you to stay. Good for you to stick to your guns.

Well you were with her for 4 months, and you weren't thinking it was going to go places? I mean, I had the same issue so I'm not one to talk. 5 months, she loved me, I wasn't in love with her, and I had to pull the curtain down on it. It does suck since you feel like the biggest douche canoe alive to do it to someone who is genuinely a good person, but you know deep down isn't the one you're looking for.

Best of luck brother.

Thanks for the support. I had an inkling she might want something more serious but nothing like this

Am I the only one who gets annoyed when a girl initiates a message, and says they can't wait to hear back, you message them, try to start a conversation, and then they never reply, despite being online everyday, and viewing your profile on and off?

Fiftyeight

Neo Member
Am I the only one who gets annoyed when a girl initiates a message, and says they can't wait to hear back, you message them, try to start a conversation, and then they never reply, despite being online everyday, and viewing your profile on and off?

Just happened to me this week, brah. And we were already knee-deep in conversation, too. She still visits my profile every other day but haven't heard a word from her in nearly a week.

zlatko

Banned
Just happened to me this week, brah. And we were already knee-deep in conversation, too. She still visits my profile every other day but haven't heard a word from her in nearly a week.

da fuck man? just send another one who cares?

if she doesn't reply back to you after that then keep on trucking, but if she keeps visiting you then maybe she just didn't know where to go from the last message.

(._.)

Banned

yeah it's annoying as hell and sorta funny. one real hotty left me hanging cold after an exchange of 8 or so fun messages. she viewed me again today and she has some new pics. then again I was sorta lazy trying to get her number ._.

oh well, life goes on.

I think it would come off clingy if I tried to revive the conversation.

EDIT: just messaged her again trying to revive the convo, FUCK THE POLICE

On a unrelated subject do any of you google backward search certain girls photos? seems like I come across a few profiles every now and then that are obviously fake.

MTE

yeah it's annoying as hell and sorta funny. one real hotty left me hanging cold after an exchange of 8 or so fun messages. she viewed me again today and she has some new pics. then again I was sorta lazy trying to get her number ._.

oh well, life goes on.

I think it would come off clingy if I tried to revive the conversation.

You have nothing to lose by replying once more, with "Hey, what's your number?".
You never know.

(._.)

Banned
You have nothing to lose by replying once more, with "Hey, what's your number?".
You never know.

I sent her something funny instead regarding her not messaging me back. I hope she does cuz she GOT IT GOIN ON ._.

she lives like 50 miles away though.

Fiftyeight

Neo Member
maybe she just wasn't feeling the conversation? It happens

Oh, she was feeling it. She left a million, "I'm interested!" questions in her previous message. And I'm not crying about it, in regards to the tone of some of your responses. It was an observation. I've done this enough to know better. Plenty more to talk to.

OKC seems pretty cool

She looks at my profile

Doesn't reply

*Deletes OKC*

Rather than dwell on the Negatives, Just use it for practice. It'll help increase your skills with women.

As an aside, the "sushi or pizza" line is having moderate success. Interesting strategy for sure...

Spinluck

I'm talking to this really really attractive girl, who is apparently a French traveling writer. She's hot. She seems real and has a Facebook. She said because of her occupation she has no time for a "serious relationship". And was on OKc to either make friends or lovers.

And she seems really cool, but won't be in town for too long. She wants to "hook up". But, first she wants to exchange nudes, and it doesn't end there. She isn't turned on by "faceless nudes".

We met cause we both rated each other high.

So... Yea, I'm probably gonna bail. Sounds fake and way too good to be true.

GAF input?

(._.)

Banned
I'm talking to this really really attractive girls, who is apparently a French traveling writer. She's hot. She seems real and has a Facebook.

And seems really cool, but won't be in town for too long. She wants to "hook up". But, first she wants to exchange nudes, and it doesn't end there. She isn't turned on by "faceless nudes".

We met cause we both rated each other high.

So... Yea, I'm probably gonna bail. Sounds fake and way too good to be true.

GAF input?

Sounds way too fake. Request she do something in hers like hold up a peace sign with both hands. I'm usually willing to send nudes if they prove they're real first.

Ashhong

I've just been spamming it to any girl I think looks sexy/cute. Some of them get overly offended, some think I'm actually 100% serious and call me a sicko/freak/asshole. I am sorta one, but in like a good way that crazy/fun/artistic girls enjoy!

Gotten nothing but hate from trying to joke/tease the girls on POF. HATE them so much, seriously hate them. boring chicks who are either overly religious or think they're god's gift to man. I'd hate to see what they think is a good message sent to them. probably the most disgusting ass kissing imaginable. I'm in the southeast so there are a ton of annoying souther girls here who range from looking pretty hot to being walking planets.

Either way I can see why some of these unbearable drama queens need dating sites so badly.

currently talking to this chick. borrowed some material from this thread at one point in our messages. she seems pretty cool and she is fucken banging. I love girls with a sense of humor. she can't sleep so I may be skyping with her in a sec :)

Why you using a fake profile picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom