• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinluck

Just got a call from the girl I've been seeing that I was pretty crazy about. You know that tone? The tone where you know for sure ain't nothing good coming? Yeah.

This one hurt.

Sorry man :-/

www.okcupid.com/profile/MightyNova

I'd like some opinions on my profile, had way more views than my old one I had months ago but less messages overall. Anything I need to change? Oh and, I may as well ask to be rated too if that's what everyone's doing!

Looks good man, gave you that 5 star rating!

I refuse to use this now, thanks to the fact it is completely played out by all of you and a cheap gimmick. Goddamn why cant legit messages actually get responses. Ridiculous!

Think of it this way, i've rated a lot of people on this thread, and not one person even lives in my state. How is it played out? Even if we all were to use it, it's highly unlikely the girls in your area have seen it

Think of it this way, i've rated a lot of people on this thread, and not one person even lives in my state. How is it played out? Even if we all were to use it, it's highly unlikely the girls in your area have seen it

Also, we're all targeting different girls I'm assuming. I've had about a 30-40% response rate with it and that's actually par for the average of when I used to write around four somewhat thoughout sentences. And now instead of spending approximately 15-20 minutes to compose a single message, I can do it in 5 or less.

If the girl is at least lukewarmly interested in you, she'll respond. If not, then at least you're not wasting anymore than a few minutes/seconds of your life on her.

I would expect failure, unless customize/execute it a little less generically.

I'd add at least a few words pertaining to her profile in addition to "pizza or sushi."

Pastry

Banned
I refuse to use this now, thanks to the fact it is completely played out by all of you and a cheap gimmick. Goddamn why cant legit messages actually get responses. Ridiculous!

You can get responses from legitimate messages. I got a response from the current girl I'm talking to (text messaging) by recommending a book to her based off of her list of favorite books.

Amory

Sorry man :-/

Thanks. I guess it's nice that at least I liked someone enough that it hurts as bad as it does. Haven't felt that way for a long time, so it's progress.

But still.

Fuck it, I'm gonna ask out the cute waitress at bar trivia tonight. Use today as a "got nothing to lose" day and try to turn it into something positive.

Fiftyeight

Neo Member
I didn't rate anyone outside of fellow Gaffers. It feels like you're desperate or something by rating them. At least that's how I feel.

Think of it this way: the only girls who know you've rated them are the ones who paid for the service. Which one of you is truly the desperate one?

It's a passive compliment -- an online wink. There's no harm to it. You've got nothing to lose.

Maddocks

Think of it this way: the only girls who know you've rated them are the ones who paid for the service. Which one of you is truly the desperate one?

It's a passive compliment -- an online wink. There's no harm to it. You've got nothing to lose.

if you rate while using quicksearch. It will tell the person you rated them 4-5 stars. But if you rate them on their profile, it will withhold that info unless they pay.

Wait, then if they don't know I rated them, what would be the point of rating them to get their attention? Or do you mean only those who pay will know this compliment?

Fiftyeight

Neo Member
Wait, then if they don't know I rated them, what would be the point of rating them to get their attention? Or do you mean only those who pay will know this compliment?

If you both rate each other highly, a message is sent to both of your inboxes letting each other know. It's pretty much a kick in the ass telling you to make a move if you haven't already.

Alternatively, if you're observant, you can see if someone recently rated you highly by noticing that you had a visitor and a rating at the same time. It's not foolproof, but more often than not it's the same person who just shot you a rating.

Regardless, don't overthink it. The ratings help.

Amory

Thanks. I guess it's nice that at least I liked someone enough that it hurts as bad as it does. Haven't felt that way for a long time, so it's progress.

But still.

Fuck it, I'm gonna ask out the cute waitress at bar trivia tonight. Use today as a "got nothing to lose" day and try to turn it into something positive.

Totally unrelated to OKC, but I DID ask out the cute waitress tonight and I totally got her number. So today went from shit to pretty alright.

and now I will accept high fives and fist bumps from anyone offering.

Maddocks

Totally unrelated to OKC, but I DID ask out the cute waitress tonight and I totally got her number. So today went from shit to pretty alright.

and now I will accept high fives and fist bumps from anyone offering.

Here you go. Congratulations.

gq57tdpi5s41mqrphca.jpg

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I've been on this shit for a week now — it's definitely interesting and pretty fun. I haven't "dated" or even been single in about six years, so I'm really, really rusty with this stuff. Still, I've had three girls message me, which is cool, even though I really haven't put much effort into sending messages of my own yet.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I've been on this shit for a week now — it's definitely interesting and pretty fun. I haven't "dated" or even been single in about six years, so I'm really, really rusty with this stuff. Still, I've had three girls message me, which is cool, even though I really haven't put much effort into sending messages of my own yet.

What the fuck is this shit, seriously how do you fools get 3 messages in a week im not even comprehending. You guys must be fucking studs or something. And my profile is good, and no im not posting it. I havent gotten 3 unsolicited messages in 3 months. A damn wasteland.

Amory

Here you go. Congratulations.

gq57tdpi5s41mqrphca.jpg

Thanks dude! I'm really excited. Though now I'm faced with the dilemma of being so excited she gave me her number that for the life of me I can't remember if her name is Julia or Julie, so if anyone has any advice as to how to go about fixing that I'm all ears.

What the fuck is this shit, seriously how do you fools get 3 messages in a week im not even comprehending. You guys must be fucking studs or something. And my profile is good, and no im not posting it. I havent gotten 3 unsolicited messages in 3 months. A damn wasteland.

Pretty sure it depends on where you live. If you're in a big city, you'll get more replies than in the suburbs. Also probably depends on which city, if you're in one.

Sent about 6 solid messages today, had 3 visits and 1 unrelated message (not my style at all). Le sigh, today was a weak day. Hoping for it to pick up by tomorrow, how do I 'unlock' more profiles? I keep seeing the same old faces.

On a somewhat related note, as shitty as it can this online dating business - it's a motivator for sure. I'ma lot more aggressive in approaching girls in real life. Fuck yea.

NIGHT-

It's so weird how these online site go through "spurs". Some days I'll go by hardly getting any messages by anyone, and some days I'll be jugging keeping up conversations with 4-5 different really cute girls. It's super hard to keep their attention though, I imagine all of them are getting blown up from 10000 different guys.

dralla

Shit, how many of you have been using the X _ Y question in NYC? I sent 13 of them and not 1 reply. I actually had better luck with some more meaty messages. Weird.

I'm on Long Island, works for me. Funny, it even works on girls I've sent it to who live in NYC, which is too bad since they're too far. My god the girls in NYC, pretty great selection of girls, in my age group anyways.

Sent out some more pancake waffle messages earlier, come home to this

OkCupid%2520-%2520Welcome%2521.png

/yolo

edit. just got a 5th one. what the fuck, this is kinda crazy at how stupidly effective this is

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Pretty sure it depends on where you live. If you're in a big city, you'll get more replies than in the suburbs. Also probably depends on which city, if you're in one.
Yeah, that probably plays a big part. I live in Boston — tons and tons of college/grad students and transplants. I'm really no stud, though. I did make sure to upload a LOT of pictures and spent a bunch of time on my profile, which outlines most of my interests and is pretty damn honest, albeit sarcastic.

Yeah, that probably plays a big part. I live in Boston — tons and tons of college/grad students and transplants. I'm really no stud, though. I did make sure to upload a LOT of pictures and spent a bunch of time on my profile, which outlines most of my interests and is pretty damn honest, albeit sarcastic.

Can't say for certain since unless I see it. But sarcasm doesn't tend to work so work so well online. You might just want to be honest and straightforward about yourself

vatstep

Can't say for certain since unless I see it. But sarcasm doesn't tend to work so work so well online. You might just want to be honest and straightforward about yourself
I know, I contemplated that. It's really only present in a couple of my answers — it's nothing overly self-defeating/deprecating (trying to work on that). I don't know, I think it's working well so far, but I'll monitor it. And hey, just got a fourth message, ha.

vatstep

So since I haven't dated in about six years, and I am braindead regarding things that are probably obvious, is it a no-no to reply to messages quickly? The handful of girls that I'm having conversations with take a bit of time to get back to me, and I guess I just don't want to seem overly eager/needy in replying because I am NOT even remotely like that in real life. I just wonder if they're slow to reply because A) they have like 50,000 dudes messaging them, B) they're not really interested but are being nice, or C) they're potentially interested but are just playing the game.

Maddocks

So since I haven't dated in about six years, and I am braindead regarding things that are probably obvious, is it a no-no to reply to messages quickly? The handful of girls that I'm having conversations with take a bit of time to get back to me, and I guess I just don't want to seem overly eager/needy in replying because I am NOT even remotely like that in real life. I just wonder if they're slow to reply because A) they have like 50,000 dudes messaging them, B) they're not really interested but are being nice, or C) they're potentially interested but are just playing the game.

i reply whenever I get a message if I'm not doing anything. Lots of times I get a email on my phone saying got a message and I read it and reply right then. I really don't think there should be a set thing. Just reply if you have time.

I'm on Long Island, works for me. Funny, it even works on girls I've sent it to who live in NYC, which is too bad since they're too far. My god the girls in NYC, pretty great selection of girls, in my age group anyways.

Sent out some more pancake waffle messages earlier, come home to this

OkCupid%2520-%2520Welcome%2521.png

/yolo

edit. just got a 5th one. what the fuck, this is kinda crazy at how stupidly effective this is

Wow, there must be something really wrong with me, cause it didn't work for me, at all.

I've gotten the "ITEM" or "ITEM" question to work plenty of times, but the follow-ups are usually so hard to think of that a lot of times just putting some thought into the first message ends up being less work, with less chance of running into a conversational dead end.

dralla

I've gotten the "ITEM" or "ITEM" question to work plenty of times, but the follow-ups are usually so hard to think of that a lot of times just putting some thought into the first message ends up being less work, with less chance of running into a conversational dead end.

That's why you pick things in the first message that allow for easy follow ups. The pizza sushi one is a little tough if they don't ask you something back, I generally go with pancake waffles since it's quite easy to keep it going. or another thing, make it something based on their profile. So if they say they like to watch tennis or something, you say "Venus or Serena?", ect

ps. OKC makes me want to move to NYC, gawd damn

have you tried rewording your profile? making it more concise and original can help.

Oh, I definitely reworded my profile since Sunday (13 failures that day). It's not complete yet, but I went batshit crazy with my profile. I'll post it when its done. Right now I'm balancing it between being outright weird and informative to borderline trolling.

ps. OKC makes me want to move to NYC, gawd damn

Yup, that's why I don't feel too bad since the selection is huge. Though is does damper your mood when you hear everyone's having such an easier time than you.

dralla

someone is on to me!

OkCupidhaha.png

haha

Oh, I definitely reworded my profile since Sunday (13 failures that day). It's not complete yet, but I went batshit crazy with my profile. I'll post it when its done. Right now I'm balancing it between being outright weird and informative to borderline trolling.

Yup, that's why I don't feel too bad since the selection is huge. Though is does damper your mood when you hear everyone's having such an easier time than you.

I'm guessing you still need to have a decent profile to get responses. It took me a while to get mine to where I feel it's not bad

Just realized, we may have sent the same message to the same people. What age group you in? I'm messing girls mid 20's mostly.

Just realized, we may have sent the same message to the same people. What age group you in? I'm messing girls mid 20's mostly.

Yeah, my age group is around that... Figures that's the case. Though I only message Manhattan or Brooklyn people, if that makes any difference.

It's okay bro, I've only talked to a few girls from the city. If you see a girl with 'rebel' in her name, <3

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't lurkers/non-approved gaffers read all about the strategies we're using on OKC? If so, there's a chance that people who are unable to post here may be using the "sushi or pizza" idea as well...

/shrugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom