• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagerk

I took a girl from OKC, who I had spoken on the phone to twice, on a road trip 2 hours up the coast. Things were going well and we were making out a bit in a club and then she burst into uncontrollable sobbing. I was attempting to hug her but I had a semi from making out so it was pretty awkward. On the drive home the next day she was telling me that she would like for us to be exclusive.

All in all I feel it went preeeeeeeetttttyyy well...

Dammit. :/

I had a great date with this woman I met on OKC last week, and then we had a second date on Friday dancing where we had another great time. Then today my phone is 2 hours late getting some texts with her, and out of nowhere she wants to end things. Talking with her more it seems like she was moving too fast emotionally, doesn't want to get hurt, and needs time to herself.

It sucks I met her before she had worked this stuff out, but at least she brought it up early enough. Hate to see her go, but it sounds like space is the best thing for her right now.

UGH, I hate when stuff like this happens. It's like getting 2 interviews in for a great job position and then finding out they don't want you. Or a more accurate metaphor would be that the company goes bankrupt before you could start the job.

Back to OKCupid, I guess. :|

saizo

Sounds way too fake. Request she do something in hers like hold up a peace sign with both hands. I'm usually willing to send nudes if they prove they're real first.

I agree, it sounds pretty fake. Not being content with faceless nude requests aren't an uncommon thing though.

I took a girl from OKC, who I had spoken on the phone to twice, on a road trip 2 hours up the coast. Things were going well and we were making out a bit in a club and then she burst into uncontrollable sobbing. I was attempting to hug her but I had a semi from making out so it was pretty awkward. On the drive home the next day she was telling me that she would like for us to be exclusive.

bailout.gif

Spinluck

So I redid my profile a bit, what does Gaf think?

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/Rasnews

I'm gonna tell you up front that I'm a terrible profile critiquer! Lol

But I thought it was fine, nothing stands out, but I don't think it should push anyone away. I feel like girls will rarely put in the time to read a long ass profile since they have a shit ton to choose from, and can get bored fairly quickly. So keeping yours on the short, simple, and to the point side is a good thing.

I've redone my profile countless times, and seem to attract or catch the attention of different girls when I do.

EDIT: Btw, I rated you. Good luck!

RoH

I'm gonna tell you up front that I'm a terrible profile critiquer! Lol

But I thought it was fine, nothing stands out, but I don't think it should push anyone away. I feel like girls will rarely put in the time to read a long ass profile since they have a shit ton to choose from, and can get bored fairly quickly. So keeping yours on the short, simple, and to the point side is a good thing.

I've redone my profile countless times, and seem to attract or catch the attention of different girls when I do.

EDIT: Btw, I rated you. Good luck!

Thanks, I was not really going for a neutral profile but i'm okay with that perception. Thanks for the Stars too 1!!!

Az987

all good things

Ask her to marry you.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Are y'all in big cities? Or having unrealistic expectations? I'm in a city of 2 million people and there are plenty of attractive women for all kind of preferences.

Close to a big city. I guess it's just filled with fat bisexual chicks. Not my style.

Senoculum

Okay, I want to try asking the "X or Y" icebreaking questions... but no fool's already using this in the Toronto area right? I'd hate it if the same girl has 20, "waffles or pancakes?"

Or in Canada-speak, "Maple Syrup or Poutine?"

I just reactivated my profile after a very long period. I've been reading through this thread and I appreciate all of the great tips and tricks you guys have provided. How does the whole rating thing work though? I'm confused, anyone can rate my profile and it will help me see better looking matches? Is that it?

UFRA

Definitely no red flags there.

Went into this thread and updated my profile last night.

So how does this work? I got a few visitors but no messages. You have to shoot messages to girls first or something? *shrugs*

Amory

Question: I've been out with a girl I met on OKCupid twice now. She's nice and we've had a good time, but I had been hanging out with another girl as well that I'm pretty much head over heels for.

Well over the weekend I've pretty much learned that my feelings for the other girl aren't the same as what she has for me. Sucks, but what can you do.

So now should I even bother taking the OKCupid girl out on a third date, or just end things? I mean, I guess having such strong interest for the other girl highlighted my comparative lack of interest for her. I suppose that could change, though. Just don't want to lead her on.

Fiftyeight

Neo Member
Went into this thread and updated my profile last night.

So how does this work? I got a few visitors but no messages. You have to shoot messages to girls first or something? *shrugs*

My methods that have proven pretty successful in the few months I've been on OKC:

-make your profile engaging and entertaining. Don't list the generic "I like to laugh and have a good time." EVERYBODY likes to laugh and have a good time. Give it a personality.

-rate girls you like highly and send it along with a message. The one-two punch seems to help a bit.

-don't be long-winded in your initial messages. Short and sweet, plus something mildly humorous helps. Remember that girls receive TONS of messages -- exponentially more than guys. She's going to give your message a quick glance at best, so make sure you grab her. A lot of guys use "or" questions: "Pizza or sushi?" "Brownies or cupcakes?" I use "Jacob or Edward?" because I've discovered you find those with a sense of humor a lot faster.

-just have fun with it and don't take anything personally. Not every girl is going to be into you; you're not going to be into every girl. Enjoy yourself.

UFRA

Question: I've been out with a girl I met on OKCupid twice now. She's nice and we've had a good time, but I had been hanging out with another girl as well that I'm pretty much head over heels for.

Well over the weekend I've pretty much learned that my feelings for the other girl aren't the same as what she has for me. Sucks, but what can you do.

So now should I even bother taking the OKCupid girl out on a third date, or just end things? I mean, I guess having such strong interest for the other girl highlighted my comparative lack of interest for her. I suppose that could change, though. Just don't want to lead her on.

Kind of answered your own question. If being head over heels for the other girl made you realize X number of things you didn't like about the OKC girl, or just lose interest in her in general, it sounds like she's not what you're looking for. Otherwise, if she was what you are looking for, it would have been that much harder to choose between them.

I'd say just go over your likes/dislikes about her, think about if you really do like her or if you're just trying to convince yourself that you do just because you want to be nice or whatever. Going out with her more just because "hey maybe it will change and I'll like her more eventually!" is not really how it works.

Pastry

Banned
My methods that have proven pretty successful in the few months I've been on OKC:

-make your profile engaging and entertaining. Don't list the generic "I like to laugh and have a good time." EVERYBODY likes to laugh and have a good time. Give it a personality.

-rate girls you like highly and send it along with a message. The one-two punch seems to help a bit.

-don't be long-winded in your initial messages. Short and sweet, plus something mildly humorous helps. Remember that girls receive TONS of messages -- exponentially more than guys. She's going to give your message a quick glance at best, so make sure you grab her. A lot of guys use "or" questions: "Pizza or sushi?" "Brownies or cupcakes?" I use "Jacob or Edward?" because I've discovered you find those with a sense of humor a lot faster.

-just have fun with it and don't take anything personally. Not every girl is going to be into you; you're not going to be into every girl. Enjoy yourself.

This is honestly the most important thing I think. It might not be easy to figure out how to
do but make sure your personality and humor (whatever it may be) come through in the profile. The girl I have my second date with this week told me in her first reply that she found my profile funny and it actually got her to laugh out loud a couple of times. She is kind of out of my league so that can make the difference between getting that first reply and not.

Amory

Kind of answered your own question. If being head over heels for the other girl made you realize X number of things you didn't like about the OKC girl, or just lose interest in her in general, it sounds like she's not what you're looking for. Otherwise, if she was what you are looking for, it would have been that much harder to choose between them.

I'd say just go over your likes/dislikes about her, think about if you really do like her or if you're just trying to convince yourself that you do just because you want to be nice or whatever. Going out with her more just because "hey maybe it will change and I'll like her more eventually!" is not really how it works.

Yeah, you're probably right. Just sucks because after the first date I was really optimistic I had two girls that were definite possibilities, which I was pretty happy about. Then all of a sudden I got none and am back where I started.

RoH

www.okcupid.com/profile/MightyNova

I'd like some opinions on my profile, had way more views than my old one I had months ago but less messages overall. Anything I need to change? Oh and, I may as well ask to be rated too if that's what everyone's doing!

Reasonable profile. You've traveled to a distant land, frolicsome, enjoy large groups of colourful people... The type of girl I think you're looking for (based on the prior) should be receptive to your mojo.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Rated the last few of you requesting to such.

All of your profiles seem great to me, nothing to point out.

Personally, I'm still working on getting some photos updated for mine.

DiseasedYak, you should use your gaf handle as a username on OKC

Just ran across the fakest, scammiest profile i've ever seen. http://www.okcupid.com/profile/EsmeraldaLB

Along with a super model pic here are some gems:
I am a brazilian living in Texas. I am looking for some fun and physical exploration! I am an out going extravagant woman who wants some fire!
I am a latin dancer and my speciality is samba. Also, I love to ride...

Shit, how many of you have been using the X _ Y question in NYC? I sent 13 of them and not 1 reply. I actually had better luck with some more meaty messages. Weird.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Shit, how many of you have been using the X _ Y question in NYC? I sent 13 of them and not 1 reply. I actually had better luck with some more meaty messages. Weird.

Tried it on several girls this past couple of days, to no avail. Didn't get a single reply either. I'm not even in America, so maybe it's a cultural thing, I don't know.

Darklord

Banned
Gave you a rating. It looks fine, overall. I wouldn't necessarily correlate the decrease in messages to the change in profile. It's just hot and cold sometimes

Reasonable profile. You've traveled to a distant land, frolicsome, enjoy large groups of colourful people... The type of girl I think you're looking for (based on the prior) should be receptive to your mojo.

Thanks! At least there was nothing glaringly bad. I guess I could try and make it something special rather than just "fine" but god damn profiles are hard.

Edit: Rated a few myself too!

It's certainly interesting messaging people with no pictures....I will say that much.

Rated the other members above. Enjoy!

Tried it on several girls this past couple of days, to no avail. Didn't get a single reply either. I'm not even in America, so maybe it's a cultural thing, I don't know.

I'm discovering it works best when you try to personalize it. Even adding one or two more sentences to show that you're not just spamming it works. When you do it this way, it works well to at least generate some interest and try to find some sort of commonality.

I've used this tactic as well, "favorite _(movie/restaurant/etc.)__, go." Make it relevant to whatever their profile is and it's still effective. Got 2/4 girls to respond to it. .500 batting average? I'll take that any day.

BTW, a little story about yesterday. So despite my failure to get any response, I got someone messaging me instead. It was a boring and plain message, nothing special. That was until I looked at her picture. Holy hell was she hideous. The picture she used to represent her was so outrageously bad, it make her look worse. Oh, but get this, the first sentence in her profile says she didn't know what to write, so she had a friend write it for her (who also didn't write much). So on top of being unattractive, she also has no personality. I mean, I don't think I'm the most handsome guy out there, but I still put effort into my profile and have interesting (I hope) thinks to say. Yet this is what I ended up getting a message from.

Feels bad man.

My profile can't be that bad, right? This is the best I can do? I was actually pretty satisfied with my profile, until I got that.

BTW, a little story about yesterday. So despite my failure to get any response, I got someone messaging me instead. It was a boring and plain message, nothing special. That was until I looked at her picture. Holy hell was she hideous. The picture she used to represent her was so outrageously bad, it make her look worse. Oh, but get this, the first sentence in her profile says she didn't know what to write, so she had a friend write it for her (who also didn't write much). So on top of being unattractive, she also has no personality. I mean, I don't think I'm the most handsome guy out there, but I still put effort into my profile and have interesting (I hope) thinks to say. Yet this is what I ended up getting a message from.

Feels bad man.

My profile can't be that bad, right? This is the best I can do? I was actually pretty satisfied with my profile, until I got that.

Dude, she initiated at least give her credit for that. Even if she's not your type...don't call her hideously ugly. Karma bro.

Here's my profile if anyone else has any tips for me on ways to improv my profile. (quote it to see the link)

Rated you. Here's a suggestion. Take out, "Wish I had more to say but I guess I'm better at describing myself by talking with people in person. :/ " It'll paint you as not having confidence and in a negative light. NEVER say anything bad about yourself when setting up a profile.

Amory

Just got a call from the girl I've been seeing that I was pretty crazy about. You know that tone? The tone where you know for sure ain't nothing good coming? Yeah.

This one hurt.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
It's certainly interesting messaging people with no pictures....I will say that much.

Rated the other members above. Enjoy!

Care to elaborate?

I'm discovering it works best when you try to personalize it. Even adding one or two more sentences to show that you're not just spamming it works. When you do it this way, it works well to at least generate some interest and try to find some sort of commonality.

I've used this tactic as well, "favorite _(movie/restaurant/etc.)__, go." Make it relevant to whatever their profile is and it's still effective. Got 2/4 girls to respond to it. .500 batting average? I'll take that any day.

Yeah. I actually did that today. This girl was saying how she loved to tell bad jokes and create weird retarded songs (her words), so I messaged her by telling her a bad joke in the form of a question. That got her to answer, so I replied back the answer to the joke. We'll see if she responds.

"The Five Star Meal" continues to impress. If no response is elicited, the best explanation is that your profile left something to be desired.

Fine dining, fellows.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I'm getting close to asking this girl out that I've been talking to. I've got five fairly long messages from her and she seems really cool. I'm a bit nervous but I think it'll go well. We haven't been terribly flirty with each other, just lots of 'getting to know you' type questions and whatnot. I haven't been on a proper date in close to five years, so I'm a bit nervous. It seems weird to ask someone out on a Monday when you can't actually do anything until the weekend. Is it better to ask for her number now and then sort the date out a little further in the week?

I'm getting close to asking this girl out that I've been talking to. I've got five fairly long messages from her and she seems really cool. I'm a bit nervous but I think it'll go well. We haven't been terribly flirty with each other, just lots of 'getting to know you' type questions and whatnot. I haven't been on a proper date in close to five years, so I'm a bit nervous. It seems weird to ask someone out on a Monday when you can't actually do anything until the weekend. Is it better to ask for her number now and then sort the date out a little further in the week?

The sooner the better, to both getting her number/organising a date.

Dude, she initiated at least give her credit for that. Even if she's not your type...don't call her hideously ugly. Karma bro.

Maybe you're right, but she can't even be bothered to write anything about herself. That's actually worst to me. I mean, I definitely give her credit for even using that picture she had for her profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom