• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlatko

Banned
I'm pretty sure that's what this is. But a dedicated Online Dating OT is probably not a terrible idea.

Dating Age thread in general covers this.

Like I had some advice I wanted based off the girl I met on here, and instead of bug you guys with it, I went in there.

Pastry

Banned

Like I had some advice I wanted based off the girl I met on here, and instead of bug you guys with it, I went in there.

Yeah but this thread isn't really just OKC anymore, plenty of people here using POF and such.

Pastry

Banned
lolpof.

I like OKC gaf crew though. :( The floodgates open when we make it an online dating OT.

I use POF and OKC :(

So this was kind of funny. Had a date with an attractive girl on Saturday (from OKC), went well and everything. I text her the next day saying I had a great time etc. I was going to call her tonight to schedule the second date and she beat me to it haha. I got a text from her out of the blue earlier asking how my week was going and then like three messages in she was just like well how does Friday sound for our second date... Guess the first one went even better than I thought.

I use POF and OKC :(

So this was kind of funny. Had a date with an attractive girl on Saturday (from OKC), went well and everything. I text her the next day saying I had a great time etc. I was going to call her tonight to schedule the second date and she beat me to it haha. I got a text from her out of the blue earlier asking how my week was going and then like three messages in she was just like well how does Friday sound for our second date... Guess the first one went even better than I thought.

:D

I'm pretty sure that's what this is. But a dedicated Online Dating OT is probably not a terrible idea.

Yeh that sounds good, and I like having a dating in general thread, and a separate online dating thread. Sure there's some cross-over but there's a fair amount of stuff that won't overlap.

Spinluck

Dating Age was pretty unhelpful to me when I posted there.

It was quite a few months ago, but this thread has been a lot more helpful for online dating, and even some real life dating lol.

Spinluck

It will catch like 90% of all fakes

I ran this girls pics, but nothing came up.

I've been talking to her for about 3 days now.. hmm.
Holy shit if she's real, but I've been playing it safe.
Never sent any of those "pix" she wanted.

Is linking a profile that's not yours bannable?

Maddocks

Dating Age was pretty unhelpful to me when I posted there.

It was quite a few months ago, but this thread has been a lot more helpful for online dating, and even some real life dating lol.

I might have to do with everyone is friendly here. Dating-age at times is brutal with what they are saying. Sometimes they will quote a person and tell them to buck up and stop being a girl, turns some people off.

We here at okc-pof gaf will try to help and guide, even try silly techniques just because why not. Try ice breakers for you and report back. Online dating is kinda brutal at times because you are playing a waiting game half the time and a good portion wearing your heart on the sleeve. That's why I try to be pretty respectful when I post in this thread.

(._.)

Banned
I ran this girls pics, but nothing came up.

I've been talking to her for about 3 days now.. hmm.
Holy shit if she's real, but I've been playing it safe.
Never sent any of those "pix" she wanted.

Is linking a profile that's not yours bannable?

Nope.

although if her pics aren't coming up in reverse image searches I would say there is a more likely chance she is real than not. Still though use common sense and don't send/say anything you wouldn't want really getting out there. Skype is excellent for confirming girls. I've used it twice to confirm girls I thought were fake. If she says she doesn't have skype suggest she make one. EVERYBODY has a webcam these days so there is no excuse not to chat on there once/twice before meeting.

I think there would definitely be some overlap if we did an online dating OT, but based on the popularity of this thread, I do think there's room for both. Not to mention dating OT doesn't cover the specifics of online dating like asking people for advice on profiles or asking for ratings, etc.

I just had a very lengthy PM given to me about how SD Comic-Con is not safe for women.

And that she wants to change that opinion in me.

Okay.

Do you guys recommend IMing a girl who actually has their IM turned on without ever messaging her in the first place? That's one thing I've been curious about and wonder if anyone ever approached that way.

Pastry

Banned
I might have to do with everyone is friendly here. Dating-age at times is brutal with what they are saying. Sometimes they will quote a person and tell them to buck up and stop being a girl, turns some people off.

We here at okc-pof gaf will try to help and guide, even try silly techniques just because why not. Try ice breakers for you and report back. Online dating is kinda brutal at times because you are playing a waiting game half the time and a good portion wearing your heart on the sleeve. That's why I try to be pretty respectful when I post in this thread.

I honestly like OKC-POF GAF more than Dating Age. Sometimes I just ask dating questions here even if they have little to do with online dating. Everyone here is way more friendly and helpful than Dating Age.

Maddocks

Do you guys recommend IMing a girl who actually has their IM turned on without ever messaging her in the first place? That's one thing I've been curious about and wonder if anyone ever approached that way.

i was approached that way and we ended up talking for about 2 hours and then moved on to phone conversations. If its turned on, might as well give it a try.

(._.)

Banned

I don't bother because I think messages are much more powerful. You can put a bit more thought into them and you have her uninterrupted attention. It may yield great results though for you so give it a try.

I honestly like OKC-POF GAF more than Dating Age. Sometimes I just ask dating questions here even if they have little to do with online dating. Everyone here is way more friendly and helpful than Dating Age.

I don't think dating age is completely wrong. Sometimes brutal honesty can be helpful. I thought the brutal honesty in that thread helped steer me in the right direction. Both threads are helpful in their own ways.

Edit - Let me expand on that a little more since people here are a bit hostile to that thread. For the longest time, I thought my last relationship failed because I wasn't caring enough. Cause back then, I still enjoy having time to myself to play video games and do other stuff not involving woman. I thought that made me an uncaring jerk. Oops, turns out that wasn't it. It was actually a pretty healthy thing to do and not devote your time to her and spoil her. Dating Age helped me realize I wasn't an asshole and made me happy about myself again.

This thread (OKC) made me happy by realizing I'm not a pathetic creeper.

dralla

Oh this is funny. A couple of months ago I mentioned I saw a girl from OKC come in to where I worked. I messaged her, she didn't respond. Well I messaged her again with my pancake waffle, she replied, and I just asked her if that was her I saw, turns out it was haha. So we've actually kinda met before, small world.

^Nice

On an unrelated note, I've been having a lot of convos with girls who don't seem to be looking at my profile. Don't know what to make of it. Maybe there's a rash of free a-list membership trials going around?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
On an unrelated note, I've been having a lot of convos with girls who don't seem to be looking at my profile. Don't know what to make of it. Maybe there's a rash of free a-list membership trials going around?
Maybe they just have that option turned off? I'm new to the site, though, so maybe I'm missing something in the equation here. I turned it off, personally... I kind of don't want to know who's looking at my profile.

Yeh that sounds good, and I like having a dating in general thread, and a separate online dating thread. Sure there's some cross-over but there's a fair amount of stuff that won't overlap.

You mean to tell me you've not been asked out of the blue what your opinion of waffles is, nor what activities are requisite for your "making it clap" for the stranger accosting you?

A dedicated one would cut down on the "I'm on PoF not OKC can I still post here though?"

"Pizza vs Sushi?" transcends any individual dating service, culture, country, temporal period, perhaps even matter itself. It may well be built into the mathematical structures described by the laws of physics. Since you discovered it, we may as well make it eponymous and call it the "Devolution's Discovery." Would you be willing to give a speech at the OKC Institute later this year?

My roommate met a girl from okcupid. 6 weeks after they met, she freaked out over a post on his facebook wall (a very platonic "how have you been?" post from an old friend of his that lives on the other side of the country) and she ultimately attempted suicide via A) cutting her wrists and B) mixing xanax with alcohol.

That, combined with my own mediocre experiences in meeting girls from okc (or attempting to meet up with them and they randomly stop responding after having been friendly and chatty in prior messages) convinced me to delete my account last night. I can't say I had a great experience with the site and my roommate was obviously much worse off than myself.

Meh, happy hunting everyone! Perhaps I'll give it another shot in a few months.

My roommate met a girl from okcupid. 6 weeks after they met, she freaked out over a post on his facebook wall (a very platonic "how have you been?" post from an old friend of his that lives on the other side of the country) and she ultimately attempted suicide via A) cutting her wrists and B) mixing xanax with alcohol.

Holy shit dude. That escalated really quickly.

Double posting is hell.

Dat triple post. :p

dralla

oh shit, girl I'm talking to makes god of war reference after I make a lame greek mythology joke. isthisreallife.

actually, this is the second girl to make a god of war reference, strange.

Anyway, this other girl I'm talking to is so god damn boring, she's got no personality what so ever, but she's a total sweetheart, I'm not sure I'd be interested in her more than a friend, but this is the part I hate about talking to people online, you don't really get to know them until you meet them, she could be totally different in person. I'm gonna try and set up a meeting with her and see how it goes, hopefully not wasting anyone's time!

oh shit, girl I'm talking to makes god of war reference after I make a lame greek mythology joke. isthisreallife.

actually, this is the second girl to make a god of war reference, strange.

Anyway, this other girl I'm talking to is so god damn boring, she's got no personality what so ever, but she's a total sweetheart, I'm not sure I'd be interested in her more than a friend, but this is the part I hate about talking to people online, you don't really get to know them until you meet them, she could be totally different in person. I'm gonna try and set up a meeting with her and see how it goes, hopefully not wasting anyone's time!

Good luck! The worst girls to talk to while doing online dating are the ones who absolutely refuse to meet until they're "ready" and want to get to know you first imo. They're just wasting their time, they're wasting your time...it's just bad all around. I've read too many stories where "he was so awesome online," only to see chemistry flop within the first five minutes of meeting each other as the two are essentially just building "characters" in their heads. Meet for a short coffee date asap!!!

dralla

Oh this is funny. A couple of months ago I mentioned I saw a girl from OKC come in to where I worked. I messaged her, she didn't respond. Well I messaged her again with my pancake waffle, she replied, and I just asked her if that was her I saw, turns out it was haha. So we've actually kinda met before, small world.

oh shit, so after talking to her some more, turns out I saw her sister, apparently they look nearly identical. 2 of them! Just got her number too, moving pretty quickly with this one. and she lives like 5 minutes from me which is nice, usually it's 30-40.

oh shit, so after talking to her some more, turns out I saw her sister, apparently they look nearly identical. 2 of them! Just got her number too, moving pretty quickly with this one. and she lives like 5 minutes from me which is nice, usually it's 30-40.

Nice! No wonder she ignored you the first time

mooooose

I hate this site, it's not even that I'm too picky to be here, I just don't like who I find. I've gotten into arguments with some people, I find others gross, some are boring. I give people chances and I just don't understand them.

I realize this site is what you make of it, but all that is, is disgusted. I have only ever found 1 girl I connected with emotionally and it just didn't work out.

dralla

Nice! No wonder she ignored you the first time

Well I didn't say anything to her in person, that would've been weird. I messaged her months ago, no response, than I saw her and who I assumed was her BF in the store afterwards. Just a few days ago I did my pancake/waffle thang and she responded. Which has happened a lot, after getting no replies, sending the new message, and now I do. But It's hard to say why. I've added new pictures and changed my profile since I've sent out messages, so I don't know if it's that or the message. I know my profile is A LOT better now though, for sure. So are my pictures.

Still waiting on another girl too. Whose been busy with midterms/school, said she'd 'love' to meet up once she's finished, and honestly, this is the one who I think has the most potential, I'm not gonna lie, I'd be upset if we don't end up meeting, we seemed to really hit it off online. New girl is great though. And the..boring one, sent her my number today too, might as well take a chance with her too.

(._.)

Banned
I hate this site, it's not even that I'm too picky to be here, I just don't like who I find. I've gotten into arguments with some people, I find others gross, some are boring. I give people chances and I just don't understand them.

I realize this site is what you make of it, but all that is, is disgusted. I have only ever found 1 girl I connected with emotionally and it just didn't work out.
Site is hilarious if you don't take it seriously. I hate about 90% of all the girls on the site and would never spend time/money on them irl. So many oooglies, borings and dumbasses. Still managing to have fun though. Im compiling a scrapbook. lighten up and realize you on da internet. If you're looking for something other than casual sex or a few lame dates I reccomend you look elsewhere. At least that's been mostly my experience with the site LOL

Welcome to the wonderful world of dating!

Az987

all good things
I got a message from someone named Sugarmommy.

It says shes 25 and she doesn't have a pic... should I ask for cash?

Maddocks

I got a message from someone named Sugarmommy.

It says shes 25 and she doesn't have a pic... should I ask for cash?

of course. but small amounts at first. Like 10-20 dollars to feed yo "family" then once shes in love with your abs, you ask for 1k.

Necrovex

All signed up. Wish me luck. Pretty new to online dating. Any one interested in reviewing my profile?

http://www.okcupid.com/profile

If link doesn't work, name is canoli316.

Get rid of that last tidbit about a woman picking up your broken heart. That would be a major turn off if I saw that in a woman's profile. You have to show that you are a complete person and do not *need* a woman in your life.

Also, rated you five stars. Best of luck, bro!

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I'm getting close to asking this girl out that I've been talking to. I've got five fairly long messages from her and she seems really cool. I'm a bit nervous but I think it'll go well. We haven't been terribly flirty with each other, just lots of 'getting to know you' type questions and whatnot. I haven't been on a proper date in close to five years, so I'm a bit nervous. It seems weird to ask someone out on a Monday when you can't actually do anything until the weekend. Is it better to ask for her number now and then sort the date out a little further in the week?

Alright... I've asked her out and given her my number. We'll see. I think she's interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom