• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dralla

Well, last minute thing, I'm actually about to meet up with one of the girls tonight. I'll report back later with details.

And just started talking to another a few hours ago, and decided we're gonna meet up soon too, we bought thought it be best to cut through all the BS and just meet. Nice change of pace :)

maxxpower

Well, last minute thing, I'm actually about to meet up with one of the girls tonight. I'll report back later with details.

And just started talking to another a few hours ago, and decided we're gonna meet up soon too, we bought thought it be best to cut through all the BS and just meet. Nice change of pace :)

Well...You are a good looking guy so I guess it's only fair.

Maddocks

Stop ignoring me peeps :(

How many "questions" have you guys answered on the site?

its endless. Personally I have answered 3833 spread across 2 accounts(1 account was deleted by okcupid and now I'm slowly rebuilding my 2nd one)

I have seen an account where a guy answered 24k questions. Why would anyone need to answer that many questions, no clue. Guess he had a lot of time.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
its endless. Personally I have answered 3833 spread across 2 accounts(1 account was deleted by okcupid and now I'm slowly rebuilding my 2nd one)

I have seen an account where a guy answered 24k questions. Why would anyone need to answer that many questions, no clue. Guess he had a lot of time.
Holy shit. I didn't even know there would be that many — I think the most I've seen was like 1,200 answered or so. I'm at around 300.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Maybe it's just me but I am sick of reading profiles already. It's the same re-hashed garbage that blends into a blah of nobodiness. "I love to laugh" "I love to travel" "I like going out on the weekends, but I also like quiet evenings at home" "I value my family and friends" "I'm not into flings so don't contact me if that's what you're after"

I'm beginning to think about profiles in terms of "risk vs reward". A lot of people write neutral profiles in the best hopes of attracting the most amount of attention. The problem is they may get more messages but the people they get the messages from aren't really a good match for them. I'm thinking about the opposite strategy - write a profile that truly is who I am. A lot of women will be dissuaded by it, but the ones I do get messaged by are the ones that I should be focusing on anyways.

Everyone is trying to put on their "best face" so to speak, I get that, but can you imagine if you were truly honest with your profile? "Hi, my name is toxicgonzo. I work in a deadend office job that I hate with a passion. I live with my parents but I'm okay with that, it's much cheaper than renting an apartment..."

Unbounded

I'm thinking about the opposite strategy - write a profile that truly is who I am.

That's what you're supposed to do and fuck anyone who thinks otherwise.

Edit: And this part...

Everyone is trying to put on their "best face" so to speak, I get that, but can you imagine if you were truly honest with your profile? "Hi, my name is toxicgonzo. I work in a deadend office job that I hate with a passion. I live with my parents but I'm okay with that, it's much cheaper than renting an apartment..."

I was pretty sure it was a rule not to put negative shit on your profile. Focus on the positives.

BTW, has anyone figured out how to get certain parts of your profile get displayed in the search? Cause I see people that have other sections of their profile on display in their search, and I can't figure out how to do that.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
BTW, has anyone figured out how to get certain parts of your profile get displayed in the search? Cause I see people that have other sections of their profile on display in their search, and I can't figure out how to do that.

I'm pretty sure it's random. Everytime search restarts, a different random part gets displayed.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

Unbounded

So I was texting this girl I met on Okc and after a few days of us talking I managed to set up a date with her on Saturday.

Should be fun. I'm nervous as heck right now, but I'm looking forward to it.

Jzero

By the way, what is the point of choosing "Answer this question privately" ?
I though it wouldn't help your matching.

Smiley90

By the way, what is the point of choosing "Answer this question privately" ?
I though it wouldn't help your matching.

You can "open your answer to the public" which actually gets posted on other people's news feeds (similar to a profile change).

That's the only reason I can think of.

Unbounded

You can "open your answer to the public" which actually gets posted on other people's news feeds (similar to a profile change).

That's the only reason I can think of.

I was pretty sure it prevented people from reading your answer when browsing your profile, and prevented you from reading anyone elses answer to the same question.

Smiley90

I was pretty sure it prevented people from reading your answer when browsing your profile, and prevented you from reading anyone elses answer to the same question.

Well yes, but then you might as well not answer the question, so it's kinda pointless. I was talking about the ACTUAL meaning of that function. If you don't want other people to see your answer, don't answer the question. I feel like "making it public to show up on other people's feed" is what it's actually used for, even if that wasn't the original intent.

Unbounded

Well yes, but then you might as well not answer the question, so it's kinda pointless. I was talking about the ACTUAL meaning of that function. If you don't want other people to see your answer, don't answer the question. I feel like "making it public to show up on other people's feed" is what it's actually used for, even if that wasn't the original intent.

Wouldn't it still contribute to match % even if it was private?

So here's my take on OKCupid (from a 26 year old guys perspective). If you don't get to meet many women IRL for whatever reason, it's a pretty good place to meet somebody. However the caliber of women I was meeting on there was WAY below what I can pull in real life (bars, parties, through mutual friends, etc).

I'm no Cassanova, but I get mostly 7's and 8's IRL. On OKC I was getting plenty of interest from 5's and that's about it. And the few girls that I did meet on there ended up being super clingy.

So it may be a great meeting place for some people, especially those who are very shy and/or have a relatively small social network, but it's probably not for me.

dralla

So just got back from my meet up. We went to Dave & Busters. Overall, pretty solid and would be open to seeing her again. Conversation flowed well, no awkward pauses. And plus we were surrounded by games so that keeps it easy to avoid those. Lacked the "wow factor". She texted me now, she says she's shy at first and I picked up on it. I'm not 100% sure she's relationship material, she's a little young and it maybe we're at different points in our lives. But who knows!

I am fucking hype though about this one. Just a few messages and we agreed to meet, I'm gonna try for tomorrow. If you know anything about me on these forums, you I know love me some health/food/paleo/nutrition/ect.

Last message from her

Haha - I don't eat refined sugar, so yeah. When I eat maple candy, I feel like I might die. Like, I can feel it coursing through my bloodstream. But I still do it whenever I'm upstate and run into some. ha And yes, I have strong feelings about high quality dairy. I work on an organic farm on the weekends out in MARS during the summer. And I get raw, organic milk from grass-fed cows down the road and butter from a goat/cow dairy nearby. The season starts tomorrow so, yay! Back to the good stuff!!! :) And dark chocolate is the best. I recently cut up chunks of banana, put a dollop of peanut butter on top, covered it in unsweetened melted dark chocolate and then froze it. And then ate it all. It was amazing. Sorry.... I like food a lot and can talk about it for dayssss. lol

Not too soon - one of things that annoys me the most about this online dating business is too much time blah, blah, blah-ing before you even see the person and find out if there's any chemistry. Fuck that. Here's my number: 555-555-5555 Txt me and let's do it. Uhh, meet up I mean. :)

seems like she's right up my alley. and she is incredibly good looking :D

peteykirch: what if the woman you were about to stand up was Leeness? that would be cold man

electricshake: yo where you been at my UK girl? You seen I'm back right? :p

I did see! Congrats on the engagement, it seems pretty fast but I hope it works out for you. I deactivated my profile to concentrate on exams because I have neither the time nor the inclination at the moment. Though I am sort of seeing someone (but it's still early doors so who knows).

Maybe it's just me but I am sick of reading profiles already. It's the same re-hashed garbage that blends into a blah of nobodiness. "I love to laugh" "I love to travel" "I like going out on the weekends, but I also like quiet evenings at home" "I value my family and friends" "I'm not into flings so don't contact me if that's what you're after"

I'm beginning to think about profiles in terms of "risk vs reward". A lot of people write neutral profiles in the best hopes of attracting the most amount of attention. The problem is they may get more messages but the people they get the messages from aren't really a good match for them. I'm thinking about the opposite strategy - write a profile that truly is who I am. A lot of women will be dissuaded by it, but the ones I do get messaged by are the ones that I should be focusing on anyways.

I think you're on the right track.

WriterGK

I just sended a bold/straight to the point message. I thought yolo sort off so sended something like this to this girl:

9165052191876944470.jpeg

Hi **

I won't go around it. I am a bit skeptical with refference to dating sites. But judging from your 3 photo''s I think you're really attractive/hot/beautiful and I would love to meet you face to face.

X Kyrill

She hasn't been online in the last 10 days and replies very selectively. So I thought got nothing to lose so Ill just send this haha.
It occurs to me that a lof of them ''reply very selectively'' and a lot of those aren't really that pretty...

I just sended a bold/straight to the point message. I thought yolo sort off so sended something like this to this girl:
Hi **

I won't go around it. I am a bit skeptical with refference to dating sites. But judging from your 3 photo''s I think you're really attractive/hot/beautiful and I would love to meet you face to face.

X Kyrill

She hasn't been online in the last 10 days and replies very selectively. So I thought got nothing to lose so Ill just send this haha.
It occurs to me that a lof of them ''reply very selectively'' and a lot of those aren't really that pretty...

Hopefully she responds, but you probably shouldn't write messages like that. A girl like her probably gets 50 a day just like this. When you just write 'hi' on the first line. That's all she sees when she goes through her inbox. And so she might just delete it outright. You're better off writing a one line question

9165052191876944470.jpeg

Hi **

X Kyrill

Nice ballsy move. Good luck! Pray she's not a dirty old man ;P.

This system is exactly like Pokemon for adults.

Funny thing is, one of the girls I dated once admitted to me that she's a serial dater. I called her an "OKCupid-mon Trainer."

dralla

http://\0.jpeg[IMG]

Hi **

X Kyrill

It occurs to me that a lof of them ''reply very selectively'' and a lot of those aren't really that pretty...[/QUOTE]

Just so you know, there are a lot of lurkers on this forum, you might not want to post her picture in here like that.

Second, she gets messages like that 40 times a day, I think being upfront is good, but be more creative, make yourself standout.

Hi **

X Kyrill

Yeah, I agree with dralla. It's pretty generic. You've really got to find a way to make yourself stand out from everyone else who's constantly messaging them. With a message like this, you're not differentiating yourself from anyone else at all. Talk about their interests or something. Some girls respond when you send an asshole-sarcastic comment. It really varies.

On the other hand, I've had some luck with "you're pretty, I'm attractive, we should hang out." Something brief and up front. Playing the "lol dating site" card works sometimes, but it's pretty cliche.

LegendX48

so I've noticed something, everyone that okcupid keeps matching me with is at least 30 miles away o_O

and damn near everyone is "replies very selectively" lol

Hi **

X Kyrill
Cool typos and boring message that's solely about her appearance, dude.

Leeness

I JUST WANT YOU ALL TO KNOW.

I had a successful date yesterday! :D And it was honestly perfect. I don't know if anything will come of it (he says he's not a "relationship kind of guy") or maybe we'll just be friends or I dunno. But it was a good day yesterday.

FINALLY.

lethial

Reeeeeeee

I had a successful date yesterday! :D And it was honestly perfect. I don't know if anything will come of it (he says he's not a "relationship kind of guy") or maybe we'll just be friends or I dunno. But it was a good day yesterday.

FINALLY.

Don't be a fall hard and get your hopes up. One date is one date but congrats.

Samara

FINALLY.

Aw yeah Leeness. Seems everyone is having a lucky week.

Pastry

Banned

FINALLY.

Congrats! I'm glad it went well for you after your recent bout of assholes from OKC.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Went on the third date last night. I really like this girl. I tripped and split my lip open last Sunday, so while I want to kiss her, it'd be kinda unpleasant until my face heals up.

FINALLY.
Yay! So glad to hear this.

I guess I have a bit of good news too. The girl I was interested in finally gave me her number after I asked her (again) to go out to dinner. The texting has been sparse but she left for a teacher's conference in Dallas the very next day after she provided her digits and she claims that she's been incredibly busy while down there. However, she has agreed to meet up over dinner when she gets back. I'm doing well about not getting my hopes up because I think the years have made me a bit bitter and skeptical. I'm definitely looking forward to meeting her though. We'll see how it goes.

Ok, really don't want to use my credit card on match.com, have had problems with them :/

Edit: silly me, it says that I can do it with iTunes, phew :D

Oh wow, didn't know that. The only times I've ever signed up for Match.com was on my computer and using my CC. Good to know!

I guess I have a bit of good news too. The girl I was interested in finally gave me her number after I asked her (again) to go out to dinner. The texting has been sparse but she left for a teacher's conference in Dallas the very next day after she provided her digits and she claims that she's been incredibly busy while down there. However, she has agreed to meet up over dinner when she gets back. I'm doing well about not getting my hopes up because I think the years have made me a bit bitter and skeptical. I'm definitely looking forward to meeting her though. We'll see how it goes.

There's a very fine line between being "bitter and skeptical" and being cautiously optimistic. Walk carefully, my friend. You don't want to portray yourself as being negative to her when you meet her.

Trez

Neo Member

9165052191876944470.jpeg

Hi **

X Kyrill

WriterGK, I think I actually messaged that girl, that picture..
Are you Dutch?

Leeness

Ya it's generally works best if neither party does that usually :). Good luck!

....and what the heck was with yesterday and a bunch of us having a date on a random Thursday? O.O

Thursday worked best for us because I only had about two hours of school and then didn't have anything today.

Aw yeah Leeness. Seems everyone is having a lucky week.

Seems so! :)

Congrats! I'm glad it went well for you after your recent bout of assholes from OKC.

Me too. We spent like...8 hours together lol. Just talked and talked and laughed and it was awesome. :) It was just really easy to talk for ages.

Thank you :) good luck with your person!

There's a very fine line between being "bitter and skeptical" and being cautiously optimistic. Walk carefully, my friend. You don't want to portray yourself as being negative to her when you meet her.
It's interesting that you say that. I've actually made it a point to portray myself as a very positive, up-beat person. It's not that I'm putting on a facade, but I have learned and I'm aware that I can sometimes do the self loathing thing and no one really likes that. Pity parties don't really work. The vast majority of my personality is very positive but I'm horrible with women and I tend to tear myself down when I'm around them.

I'm doing a good job with this one though. I think "cautiously optimistic" is definitely a better way to put it. At least I like to think that's the side I'm walking on anyway. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom