• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to second this. It really doesn't matter.

So I called the girl last night after work. I had it all planned out because I had to go over it a thousand times in my head. Naturally. It was going to be a quick "how's it goin" blah, blah, blah, then ask her out for some coffee. We ended up talking for 45 minutes. The conversation wasn't forced and she certainly lived up to her claim of being easy to talk to. So I ended the call by asking her out and she's still down for it. We're going to iron out the details tonight because her teaching schedule has been a bit crazy since returning from spring break.

So I'm in. Yay! Now that I've gotten that over with, I feel less anxious about the whole situation. I'm actually quite excited to meet her in person. Here's hoping all goes well!

Nice! Enjoy it

Finally updated my POF account after half a year of being inactive...let's see how this goes!

I'm going to second this. It really doesn't matter.

So I called the girl last night after work. I had it all planned out because I had to go over it a thousand times in my head. Naturally. It was going to be a quick "how's it goin" blah, blah, blah, then ask her out for some coffee. We ended up talking for 45 minutes. The conversation wasn't forced and she certainly lived up to her claim of being easy to talk to. So I ended the call by asking her out and she's still down for it. We're going to iron out the details tonight because her teaching schedule has been a bit crazy since returning from spring break.

So I'm in. Yay! Now that I've gotten that over with, I feel less anxious about the whole situation. I'm actually quite excited to meet her in person. Here's hoping all goes well!

*Fist bump* Proud of you bro!

That said, I personally prefer skipping phone calls and going straight to first date as there's tons of psychos out there...better to meet them in person first before giving out your contact info.

WriterGK

I got a nice good reply from a girl the other day. Decided today that I wanted to follow up on that. But it says that she doesn't have a account anymore.

BigMack

How long do you guys typically wait before asking a girl on a date? I've talked to tons of girls and have only liked 3 enough to meet them in person.

I found a girl who I have a TON of stuff in common with and something just really clicks with this one. I first sent her a message on Mar 23 and as of last night, we are at 31 messages. So I just feel it's still too soon to ask her out.

Although, when talking about our shared love of comic book movies, she did mention that she loves going to watch movies in the theater, the last movie she saw in theaters was Dark Knight Rises and that she "really needs to go again soon". I kinda took that as a hint, like "hey dork! hurry up and ask me out for dinner and a movie".

Also, any advice (or warnings) about someone "currently going through a divorce"? She mentioned early on that her ex was both verbally and (at times) physically abusive as well.

How long do you guys typically wait before asking a girl on a date? I've talked to tons of girls and have only liked 3 enough to meet them in person.

I found a girl who I have a TON of stuff in common with and something just really clicks with this one. I first sent her a message on Mar 23 and as of last night, we are at 31 messages. So I just feel it's still too soon to ask her out.

Although, when talking about our shared love of comic book movies, she did mention that she loves going to watch movies in the theater, the last movie she saw in theaters was Dark Knight Rises and that she "really needs to go again soon". I kinda took that as a hint, like "hey dork! hurry up and ask me out for dinner and a movie".

Also, any advice (or warnings) about someone "currently going through a divorce"? She mentioned early on that her ex was both verbally and (at times) physically abusive as well.

It's really hard to say that you should ask someone out before a certain amount of messages, it depends on the flow of the conversation. But yeah, you should definitely ask this girl out, it sounds like. But usually I ask her out soon after we get a good flow going? Maybe 10-15 messages?

Also, stay away from that girl with the ex. It sounds like he could rage and come after you

BigMack

It's really hard to say that you should ask someone out before a certain amount of messages, it depends on the flow of the conversation. But yeah, you should definitely ask this girl out, it sounds like. But usually I ask her out soon after we get a good flow going? Maybe 10-15 messages?

Also, stay away from that girl with the ex. It sounds like he could rage and come after you

Haha, it's the same girl.

Pastry

Banned

I think that's wayyyyy too many messages (just my opinion). I asked the girl I'm dating right now out after 6 messages. I would rather get to know someone in person than through a bunch of messages plus dates are fun.

Ashodin

You can't stretch out the conversation. You have to go for it, put yourself out there, and be forward. Some women love it when men are forward about their interest in them.

(cautions to put "some" in front of "women" so that the wrath of devo may not appear)

BigMack

Well everyone's situation is different. But I would say there's a higher risk for drama if you go out with someone in that situation. But if you really get along well with this girl, maybe it's worth it.

Yeah, ex-bfs / husbands really don't bother me. And your thoughts are right along what I was thinking. Any other girl, I probably wouldn't bother with once I learned about their baggage. But this one.....there is just something there that I can't push her away so easily.

Yeah, ex-bfs / husbands really don't bother me. And your thoughts are right along what I was thinking. Any other girl, I probably wouldn't bother with once I learned about their baggage. But this one.....there is just something there that I can't push her away so easily.

Then ask her out already!

BigMack

I think that's wayyyyy too many messages (just my opinion). I asked the girl I'm dating right now out after 6 messages. I would rather get to know someone in person than through a bunch of messages plus dates are fun.

Yeah, I just recently realized I talk to girls way too long. I'm the textbook definition for "friendzone" and I think as a defense mechanism, just automatically put any I girl meet immediately into "just friends" territory. Until I see her showing interest or dropping hints that she wants something more.

With this one, I'm ready to ask her out now. I just thought maybe with her situation and the fact I just starting talking to her a few days ago, maybe I should wait a little longer.

Pastry

Banned
Yeah, I just recently realized I talk to girls way too long. I'm the textbook definition for "friendzone" and I think as a defense mechanism, just automatically put any I girl meet immediately into "just friends" territory. Until I see her showing interest or dropping hints that she wants something more.

With this one, I'm ready to ask her out now. I just thought maybe with her situation and the fact I just starting talking to her a few days ago, maybe I should wait a little longer.

Go for it! If she's messaged you back that many times she is clearly interested.

Hey GAF.

Well during the course of a few days I've been messaging this girl on OKC, she's pretty chill and likes anime but doesn't attend college (not that I mind anyway). Last night she gave me her number and now we are texting regularly.

So yeah it's pretty nice, just thought I share haha.

Hey GAF.

Well during the course of a few days I've been messaging this girl on OKC, she's pretty chill and likes anime but doesn't attend college (not that I mind anyway). Last night she gave me her number and now we are texting regularly.

So yeah it's pretty nice, just thought I share haha.

Nice. Now ask her out for coffee or something already

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I don't get it guys. Or girls. What's the point in giving out your phone number if you're only going to text back short answers? If you're not interested in talking to me, just tell me :/

Pastry

Banned
I don't get it guys. Or girls. What's the point in giving out your phone number if you're only going to text back short answers? If you're not interested in talking to me, just tell me :/

Maybe they want you to call them of ask them on a date or something?

beanman25

I don't want to jump the gun, but I've been talking to the coolest girl haha. She messaged me, but said that she wasn't expecting me to reply because she was wheelchair bound. (She had a spinal cord injury, and may or may not be able to walk again)

Told her that didn't bother me at all, and we've been talking most of the night. She said she wanted to play against me in wheelchair basketball. I know I'd get whooped, but it sounds like a grand time. Other then that, she's incredibly pretty and seems to have an awesome personality.

I don't want to jump the gun, but I've been talking to the coolest girl haha. She messaged me, but said that she wasn't expecting me to reply because she was wheelchair bound. (She had a spinal cord injury, and may or may not be able to walk again)

Told her that didn't bother me at all, and we've been talking most of the night. She said she wanted to play against me in wheelchair basketball. I know I'd get whooped, but it sounds like a grand time. Other then that, she's incredibly pretty and seems to have an awesome personality.

That's really cool. You should definitely pursue that.

Hopefully this doesn't sound distasteful, I'm just curious: is someone who's paralyzed waste down still able to have/enjoy sex? Would they be able to have children?

Jzero

What match % do you guys have?

Just wondering because most of the girls who are actually interesting to me are always in the 90%'s

Smiley90

.. Well, I can already update on this. Apparently she ran into an ex a couple days ago and they're trying to make it work again or sth, and she didn't wanna lead me on. So I guess there's that. Woe is me, she was nice lol.

.. Well, I can already update on this. Apparently she ran into an ex a couple days ago and they're trying to make it work again or sth, and she didn't wanna lead me on. So I guess there's that. Woe is me, she was nice lol.

Sorry to hear that. But it seems like you handled it welll

Marc13

Well what am I supposed to do :p I'm still slightly disappointed, she was very nice and cute. Now it's like... well, what do I have this phone number for now! Oh well.

Keep the phone number. In a couple weeks, text her to see whats up. Maybe her and the ex wont work things out. :)

Oh, and like others said, I usually try and get their number pretty soon. Within a few messages.

Nice. Now ask her out for coffee or something already

Just did tonight. Meeting up with her in Oceanside tomorrow (a 10 min drive from my campus) after my calculus exam. She suggested to go to the beach and/or weekly farmer's market. Farmer's markets are freagin' awesome.

But yeah hopefully it goes well tomorrow (including the exam).

Smiley90

Quick question: How do you guys spot "fake" people? I am intrigued. This one girl wanted to change to texting REALLY quickly. She's either really phone-loving or... I don't know. Only 1 picture up, but google image search gives nothing. She also has 400+ questions answered which seems like a lot for a "fake" profile.

Jzero

Quick question: How do you guys spot "fake" people? I am intrigued. This one girl wanted to change to texting REALLY quickly. She's either really phone-loving or... I don't know. Only 1 picture up, but google image search gives nothing. She also has 400+ questions answered which seems like a lot for a "fake" profile.
I use a combination of the TinEye and Google Image Search chrome extensions.
You can easily tell if someone is using fake images though. I look to see if it has a tiny image resolution, or if it looks like a screenshot.

This is a good example: This girl had two pictures so it looked kinda legit but they were very small images so i searched for them and found the real person.

Smiley90

I use a combination of the TinEye and Google Image Search chrome extensions.
You can easily tell if someone is using fake images though. I look to see if it has a tiny image resolution, or if it looks like a screenshot.

I think I'm just not used to someone being so... aggressive. I'll just roll with it.

EDIT: shit, this girl is awesome. what's happening.

Ashodin

Just did tonight. Meeting up with her in Oceanside tomorrow (a 10 min drive from my campus) after my calculus exam. She suggested to go to the beach and/or weekly farmer's market. Farmer's markets are freagin' awesome.

But yeah hopefully it goes well tomorrow (including the exam).

Rooting for you!

Okay I see. Thnx dude! And how quickly would you suggest with relatively quickly? Because I haven't had anyone yet to send me a second reply.
After reading this thread I've heard anywhere from 5 to 6 messages on up to 10 to 15. If things are really going smooth, it wouldn't hurt after a few back and forths to either ask for their phone number and straight up ask to meet up. It is a dating site after all. The worst that can happen is them saying something to the effect of "not just yet" and then you just keep doing what you're doing and ask again a little down the line.

I've noticed a common theme in here. Basically use the site to get an idea of the person and then ask to meet in person or at least a phone number. Too much friendly banter can lead to a dead end. So even if you just get the digits, don't spend too much time texting or talking before asking them out. It clearly shows that you have interest in them and everyone likes the idea of being wanted. :)

Too much messaging on the site has the same pitfalls as too much texting - you risk getting caught up in the hype and being disappointed when it doesn't work out. Somewhere between 5 and 10 messages is probably ideal. In the past I usually just ask if they want to go for a drink and give my number, which puts the ball in their court. I think I probably met half the guys I exchanged numbers with.

WriterGK

Too much messaging on the site has the same pitfalls as too much texting - you risk getting caught up in the hype and being disappointed when it doesn't work out. Somewhere between 5 and 10 messages is probably ideal. In the past I usually just ask if they want to go for a drink and give my number, which puts the ball in their court. I think I probably met half the guys I exchanged numbers with.

Is that 5 to 10 messages from the guy alone? Or 5 from her and 5 from you?

I fucking guffawed at this.

Instead of writing messages to get to know each other, why wouldn't you meet to get to know each other? You make no damn sense.

Mr Swine

Banned
Hi guys,

Didn't want to create a new thread but I want your opinions and advice.

It started 2 days ago (this is not on Okcupid, but on match.com) a girl finally sent a flirt to me and I flirted back. She wrote in bad Norwegian despite her profile states that she lives in Sweden. so. She said to me on how she wanted to write via email as she was deleting her account. so I agreed and gave her my email address.

She writes the day after a short email how she wanted to know if I was the right person that gave her my email address on match.com. I write back and didn't hear anything more of her until an hour ago. She wrote a really long email and it eems she lives in Russia and not in Sweden. She sent me 2 pics of her and explaines that she wants a serious relationship and not some flirting around that will only waste her time. She wants both of us to be totally honest to each other and not lie. She then tells me where she lives and a bit info on her life, her parents and so on.

So I really don't know what to do, she looks really cute and I'm glad that she wrote that long email to me. But at the same time I feel a bit uneasy though she said that she never meet a man on the Internet. And that I keep hearing that people get scammed of their money when they want to come and visit. So is there anyway to confirm that she is she and not some smelly guy trying to scam me?

So recap

Girl flirted to me, flirted back and she wrote to me in Norwegian.
Gave my email address and she sent me a short email in englishwanting confirmation of me being me on match.com
Writes a long email wanting a serious relationship and lives in Russia not Sweden. Talks a bit about her life, her parents and sent2 pics.
Am a bit uneasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom