• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dralla

I don't know how you're overthinking this to where you actually think that was a strange move and you don't know what to do next.

For reals, just send an email dude lol

--

Welp, I'm about to go on another OKC meet up, at a bar, for some darts/pool. She told me she's really shy though, which has me a little nervous, but we'll see how it goes. Will report later with details!

maxxpower

--

Welp, I'm about to go on another OKC meet up, at a bar, for some darts/pool. She told me she's really shy though, which has me a little nervous, but we'll see how it goes. Will report later with details!

Damn son, you're cleaning house.

Maddocks

put me in the game coach, I'm ready.

Send out a couple emails today, I really hate doing that because personally I just hate waiting. I really hate it when I message a girl that is funny and smart and cute and I know my awesomeness doesn't shine through a message. I'm a peacock man, you gotta let me fly!

just updated my prof. should have a better tone to it. (even though the only feedback i got was that my other prof picture made me look fat. thanks for the heads up WascallyWabbit)

I just realized there are more single women in Brooklyn and Manhattan than Bronx and Queens. I wonder why is that? Most from Queens are in Astoria.

I have the weirdest luck on this site. Ones that I think might reply don't and the ones I think won't actually does.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

--

What area do you live in, if you don't mind me asking? Feel like there's not too many people signed up in my area, but that might be subjective. (same people keep showing up in the news feed etc)

mj1108

Well... here's some news that I never thought I'd report. I met my OKC girlfriend on September 15th last year. We're now getting married later this month and we couldn't be more happier/excited (and yes, our families are excited as well). :) :) :)

Well... here's some news that I never thought I'd report. I met my OKC girlfriend on September 15th last year. We're now getting married later this month and we couldn't be more happier/excited (and yes, our families are excited as well). :) :) :)

Wow, that's kind of fast. Congrats though!

dralla

Damn son, you're cleaning house.

I've definitely been putting in a lot more time lately. The more effort you put in, the more results you get. But I gotta be honest, the one girl I REALLY wanted to meet stopped responding to my texts, so yea, that kinda sucks. There's 1 more girl I'd like to meet as well, I'm gonna try for this weekend. I've already met her actually, total random bump in at the food store, she seemed pretty great.
What area do you live in, if you don't mind me asking? Feel like there's not too many people signed up in my area, but that might be subjective. (same people keep showing up in the news feed etc)

Long Island. It's not a great place honestly, NYC on the other hand, is incredible. So many good looking girls I see pop up are from the city. I've tried talking to them but they don't wanna mess with a dude out on the island :[

You give me [us] hope! Congrats man.

--

Now, on to my meet up tonight. Both the best and worst first meet up I've ever had. She told me before hand she's really shy, but it's fine, I feel like I can carry the conversation for the most part, to a certain extent. I met up with a quiet girl before and it went relatively well, so no big deal.

Oh boy, was I wrong lol. She wasn't just shy in the traditional sense, she came off so..cold? and unwelcoming. When I walked in she didn't even get up to greet me, just kept on drinking. I said her name wrong and she just gives me a stone face and says "No, I'm XXX", I thought I went up to the wrong person at first. So at first it's just me and her and we're talking a little, or I should say I am, she doesn't ask questions or anything and just kind of tough to talk to. But people get nervous, so no big deal. I hear my phone get a text, so I reach to get it..nope! It's actually her phone, we have the same text notification [Zelda secret fanfare], and both have Zelda OoT ringtones, so that was pretty cool.

Anyway, her friends show up, she didn't invite them, they just kind of showed up apparently, and usually I would be against this since It can get a little weird in a group, but in this case, with her being so shy, it was fine by me. It was 4 other people, and it essentially turned into a bro date with me and this other dude lol. So me and him never played darts before, and god damn darts are fun, we ended up playing darts the whole time, talking about Zelda and bunch of other shit. We did a few team games, me and the girl I was meeting ended up winning both games, but me and the bro played 1v1 the rest of the night [I ended up winning every game!]. I ended up talking to the girl probably the least of all the people there. I got into a 20 minute convo about cupcakes with her friend. So yea, I loved her friends, but her..not so much. And it's just the shyness, she was also quite a bit heavier than her pictures, apparently she's trying to eat healthier and lose weight..but is eating pizza and drinking beer, so yea..that wasn't cool, nothing worse than being deceived by old ass pictures, it's happened to me too many times.

In conclusion. Darts are awesome, I want a dart board. Her friends were great, would love to see them again lol. I'm not so sure about her though.

Well, it happened. I found someone I knew on CL. I was writing a message to someone else, and her name popped up on the "You May Like" sidebar. I ended up writing a quick message to her too.

These girls ive met have all been flaky :/

Giving it another month until im deactivating or deleting the account.

There's no one I've met or talked to that are serious on Okc and Evow.

Later GAF.

maxxpower

I've definitely been putting in a lot more time lately. The more effort you put in, the more results you get. But I gotta be honest, the one girl I REALLY wanted to meet stopped responding to my texts, so yea, that kinda sucks. There's 1 more girl I'd like to meet as well, I'm gonna try for this weekend. I've already met her actually, total random bump in at the food store, she seemed pretty great.

Best of luck dude, all that time you've put into it will surely pay off, and yes, darts are awesome! Make sure you get yourself one of those electronic dartboards.

Raynes

Anyone good at giving constructive criticisms here that I can pm my profile?

Well, it happened. I found someone I knew on CL. I was writing a message to someone else, and her name popped up on the "You May Like" sidebar. I ended up writing a quick message to her too.

Scary o_O How did you know her and what did you say?

So girl I'm talkkng to disables her account, but before she does so she sends me a message saying that she didnt want to close her account without leaving me her email address....I'm confused lol. HELP ME OKC GAF!!!!
I had the same exact thing happen to me. Her last message over OKC was her giving me her email address with the explanation that she just can't keep up with the flood of messages she was getting but wanted to stay in contact with me.

I'm guessing, for the vast majority, that the experiences of a guy vs girl on a dating website are very polarized. I'm sure your girl was getting overwhelmed with messages and just decided to call it quits. Where as the guys are lucky to get responses on a regular basis.

dralla

So I message this girl, she KNOWS WHERE I WORK without me telling her. I'm like, what the fuuuck? Turns out she works right next to me, literally, 1 store over. I knew she looked kind of familiar haha, that's so friggin weird. So many people on this site have seen me in person at work.

okay i set this as part of my essay. it's not creepy is it?

You should message me if:
You think you can outfox me (you foxy ladies)

You can change a flat tire

You have yogurtland gummy bears and willing to share

Your name is Rachel Weisz

EDIT: I ask because I thought it could come off as a fixation.

^^No? Why would you think it is

My Ex just joined up and guess what? On her personality page it says "Y'all Got Issues"
lol well no shit!

EDIT: first line refers to btgorman

I've been seeing a girl for a few weeks but recently i've noticed she's been online a lot, should i be concerned? I'll probably bring it up with her today.

Not sure if serious? I'll respond as if you are...

So you met through OKC and have been seeing each other in real life for a few weeks, right?

Are you worried/upset because her profile shows that she's logged in? Wouldn't you have to be logging into OKC as well to even see that? If you're doing the same thing, I wouldn't confront her about doing it. Also, you never know why she's logging in. Maybe things are going well with you and she's logged in to show her friends your pictures? Or does the concern stem from the fact that you feel like things are not going well between you two?

I personally wouldn't bring it up. If you like her and things are going well, then stop being paranoid and just enjoy continuing to see her. If it feels like you guys are getting serious, you can always mention how you like where things are headed and say that you're going to close your OKC account. If she feels the same way, she'll most likely agree and say she's going to close hers too.

I recently relocated to Cyprus. I will give OKC a try here and report my findings. At present, I plan to use it as a mere supplement for acquiring mates, especially since this is a very social place in general, plus tourist season isn't far away. We'll see.

Maddocks

I've been seeing a girl for a few weeks but recently i've noticed she's been online a lot, should i be concerned? I'll probably bring it up with her today.

I was once seeing a girl and I felt a connection and I figured she did too or she wouldnt have kept talking to me. Noticed her online on her okc account more and more. I knew as soon as I seen her online that she moved on. I brought it up, but I already knew the answer. Time to do the same.

Not sure if serious? I'll respond as if you are...

So you met through OKC and have been seeing each other in real life for a few weeks, right?

Are you worried/upset because her profile shows that she's logged in? Wouldn't you have to be logging into OKC as well to even see that? If you're doing the same thing, I wouldn't confront her about doing it. Also, you never know why she's logging in. Maybe things are going well with you and she's logged in to show her friends your pictures? Or does the concern stem from the fact that you feel like things are not going well between you two?

I personally wouldn't bring it up. If you like her and things are going well, then stop being paranoid and just enjoy continuing to see her. If it feels like you guys are getting serious, you can always mention how you like where things are headed and say that you're going to close your OKC account. If she feels the same way, she'll most likely agree and say she's going to close hers too.

I was thinking the exact same thing... haha.

But why you help man? You gotta let them fail so others (read: myself) can succeed!

Are you worried/upset because her profile shows that she's logged in? Wouldn't you have to be logging into OKC as well to even see that?
I hadn't been online for 3 weeks or so, i logged in monday and noticed she was online too... maybe a just a coincidence i thought... i check back wednesday and shes been online, check back today and shes been online. I am fully aware that i'm starting to approach psycho behavior levels, so i'd rather just bring it up and find out where things stand.

Jzero

I hadn't been online for 3 weeks or so, i logged in monday and noticed she was online too... maybe a just a coincidence i thought... i check back wednesday and shes been online, check back today and shes been online. I am fully aware that i'm starting to approach psycho behavior levels, so i'd rather just bring it up and find out where things stand.
She's probably thinking the same thing about your online status.

maxxpower

So I'm going on what is going to be a third date with this girl. The first one was a coffee date and the second one was a movie date. Both were set up by her(her idea). For this third date I want to do something different, and more exciting, but I'm horribly inexperienced when it comes to dating since I haven't really dated at all. Any suggestions, ideas for a more interesting date?

(Mind you, our "regular" dates have been fun too, with plenty of talking and stuff, but I just want to do something different.)

So I'm going on what is going to be a third date with this girl. The first one was a coffee date and the second one was a movie date. Both were set up by her(her idea). For this third date I want to do something different, and more exciting, but I'm horribly inexperienced when it comes to dating since I haven't really dated at all. Any suggestions, ideas for a more interesting date?

(Mind you, our "regular" dates have been fun too, with plenty of talking and stuff, but I just want to do something different.)

Where do you live? If there's an art gallery or museum, I always enjoy those. You can also simply Google for events in your city for this weekend.

dralla

It's hard to say without knowing your interests, age, and location. But something like go karts, or a golf driving range, batting cage, bar for pool/darts, dave & busters, laser tag, ice skating, mini golf, local amusement park, festival, museum, art gallery..I mean, just pick something you'd both enjoy or something you both have never done before.

--

So, my persistence has payed off it seems. When I first joined this site I saw a girl I was interested in, messaged her, no response. Over the past year she's activated and deactivated her profile a few times, and every once in a while, I'd send another message, nothing creepy like 'WHY DIDNT YOU RESPOND', but just trying to get a conversation going. And since I've changed pictures, profile and general..attitude over time, I figured why not, maybe she'd finally be interested. Well, after 4-5 messages or so, she finally responds and we have a really good convo going. This is the girl mentioned above. She just happened to work right next to me, she's seen me before but didn't want to say Hi because it could've been weird. So yea, don't be afraid to send a second message [or more haha] if someone doesn't reply the first time.

Living in a state/city with very limited Match or Quality Members (Eye Candy) on OKC is a pain..

My brother got lucky very recently finding a good match for him getting to know her in 2 weeks and is currently in a relationship. (kudos to him) :)
--
When it comes to my Matches, hasn't been so very lucky. Lately, things go pretty good in getting to know said Matched individual. And then either they become very boring (not contributing much into discussions) or does a 180 (has a change of heart) and stops talking unexpectedly. It's been such a crappy experience on OKC & Evow. My only main reasons for still visiting the site are the few friends I've made and to respond potential matches.

Strange experiences when I have asked in befriending a person of interest that accepts wanting to get to know each other and within that two day stops conversing altogether... Like Wtf. This has happened almost 10 times within the past 2 months. Who does that?? Fucking odd to me. Oh well. Just wanted to share this with fellow GAFfers.

JaskoX1

Banned
Living in a state/city with very limited Match or Quality Members (Eye Candy) on OKC is a pain..

My brother got lucky very recently finding a good match for him getting to know her in 2 weeks and is currently in a relationship. (kudos to him) :)
--
When it comes to my Matches, hasn't been so very lucky. Lately, things go pretty good in getting to know said Matched individual. And then either they become very boring (not contributing much into discussions) or does a 180 (has a change of heart) and stops talking unexpectedly. It's been such a crappy experience on OKC & Evow. My only main reasons for still visiting the site are the few friends I've made and to respond potential matches.

Strange experiences when I have asked in befriending a person of interest that accepts wanting to get to know each other and within that two day stops conversing altogether... Like Wtf. This has happened almost 10 times within the past 2 months. Who does that?? Fucking odd to me. Oh well. Just wanted to share this with fellow GAFfers.

Messaging women on OKC is a real drag. I'll get bored and start braiding my pubes.

I'll make sure to bring up stuff girls enjoy like, Young Money, cookies or Urban Outfitters.

To echo a little of what Noble is saying here; half the time I feel like I dominate the conversation just because it's like I'm putting far more effort into it. It's strange to me because usually conversations are "My turn! My turn!"

Is my profile not up to date, or the standards of women?

I would love doing this. I already made 3 fake users delete their accounts :p

See I think they might recruit you that way, I also reported a few users with stock pics before becoming mod.
Now that I did quite a few pic approval assignments/flag reviews the breakdown is something like this:
20% female nudity (oftentimes pros looking for customers, but also GIS)
25% "GIS": pics that yield google rev. image search results = stock phots (often celebs), it's mostly bots & fake profiles.
10% male nudity, mostly gay/sm (flagged but not always against the rules: "this is not adam 4 adam"). Sometimes dicks (mostly black ones, dunno why - they ain't even that big. Guess black dudes feel pressured by certain expectations, lol)
15% "ecu": extreme close ups of ugly ass tats, eyes, feet (= not clear if it's the user)
20% "ntu": not the user, basically stuff like cars, pets, homes (without the user in the pic)
10% wrongly flagged pics, "she didn't reply to me", "that pic is ugly", "she fat", "pizza face"

/shit's addicting..

So.

I think I'm out.

I'm going to delete my account.

Everyone I've talked to on that site - okay, well minus three people who also deleted their accounts - is ridiculous.

And I feel like a misogynist saying that.

What's really depressing? The success stories.

So.

I think I'm out.

Everyone I've talked to on that site - okay, well minus three people who also deleted their accounts - is ridiculous.

Sorry to hear that. But you're not a misogynist for feeling/saying that.
BUT, you should feel happy for your fellow gaffers!
Good luck in your amorous endeavours

So.

I think I'm out.

This is a shame to hear. I was so close to doing the same thing but decided to stick it out for a few more weeks and continue sending messages. It actually paid off. It's definitely a marathon and not a sprint.

Anyway, best of luck out there.

So.

I think I'm out.

Yah, this is one of those cases in which persistence and diligence really pays off. Just like job hunting. I personally have yet to meet any psychos just yet....but yah. Every person has his or her own reason for deleting their accnts.

Still, I wish you luck in your future romantic endeavors and realize that online dating isn't for everyone. Should you ever decide to comeback, we'll be here :).

In other news, emailed that girl who left me her email addy. Things are going well. Yes, I was AFC-ing out, overthinking and went into panic mode. Breathed and then sent her an email later that night. I think it was just my nerves getting to me as I had an important job interview just a few hours after that happened lol.

So I made an account today... the whole thing is rather overwhelming.

I got 15 visits and one message...is that pretty standard?

It seems like girls just get bombarded with messages...makes me feel like a weirdo sending them one

Jzero

It seems like girls just get bombarded with messages...makes me feel like a weirdo sending them one

Yea that's pretty good for one day.

Welcome to the club, you'll get over the weird feeling quickly

Smiley90

That's quite a lot above average. Although my area has way less people than e.g. NYC, but that still seems really good.

That's quite a lot above average. Although my area has way less people than e.g. NYC, but that still seems really good.

well its bay area so a lot of people. The girl who messaged me was from near Sacramento though

Is 25 miles the smallest filter? and can you filter out people who haven't been online in over a month?

Maddocks

well its bay area so a lot of people. The girl who messaged me was from near Sacramento though

Is 25 miles the smallest filter? and can you filter out people who haven't been online in over a month?

you can go lower, but you have to do it manually. Somewhere in the url after performing a search and it will have "25" lower that number to anything else and it will only search in that area.

Smiley90

both, yes. Go to matches, it's one of the categories you can filter after.

and ah, but still. As a guy, you should go in expecting not to get any messages yourself, really. Or few. And once you start sending out messages, don't expect >50% response rate, if even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom