• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dralla

nah, not THAT young hah, but still a few years younger than I'd ideally like. I'm open to meeting her and see how it goes, I like to keep an open mind about things..we'll see!

Anyone have any experience dating someone who's in an open relationship?

She's fun, pretty, adventurous, and uncomplicated. Maybe I should just enjoy the ride, but I do worry about the complications...

She's fun, pretty, adventurous, and uncomplicated. Maybe I should just enjoy the ride, but I do worry about the complications...

I think as long as you keep in mind that you're not going to go exclusive with her you'll be fine. I'd love to be involved with someone in that way right now, but it's not very common.

dralla

Depends on the type of person you are. Are you gonna get jelly? I know for I couldn't do it for sure.

Ashodin

I can't do open relationships. My heart would have paranoid thoughts about how at any time the woman I love would start loving the other person more, and I couldn't love two people at the same time. It wouldn't be fair to either of them.

I think as long as you keep in mind that you're not going to go exclusive with her you'll be fine. I'd love to be involved with someone in that way right now, but it's not very common.

Yeah she's pretty cool and I'm definitely still dating around too

Depends on the type of person you are. Are you gonna get jelly? I know for I couldn't do it for sure.

I'm not jelly, at least i don't think. Though it might be weird if I saw them together, but my city is pretty big

I can't do open relationships. My heart would have paranoid thoughts about how at any time the woman I love would start loving the other person more, and I couldn't love two people at the same time. It wouldn't be fair to either of them.

lol, c'mon bro, quit throwing that L-word around

Ashodin

Yeah she's pretty cool and I'm definitely still dating around too

I'm not jelly, at least i don't think. Though it might be weird if I saw them together, but my city is pretty big

lol, c'mon bro, quit throwing that L-word around

Eh I have a hard time dating someone without falling in love, you should know that by now

Eh I have a hard time dating someone without falling in love, you should know that by now

Try dating multiple people at the same time. That generally stops those butterflies from messing around in your stomach.

WascallyWabbit -
Embrace the openness of the relationship, do some exciting stuff under the sheets if she's into that. Multiple partners, multiple possibilities.

Try dating multiple people at the same time. That generally stops those butterflies from messing around in your stomach.

WascallyWabbit -
Embrace the openness of the relationship, do some exciting stuff under the sheets if she's into that. Multiple partners, multiple possibilities.

lol clearly you don't know Ashodin's story

Also, yes I will be embracing it

Ashodin

WascallyWabbit -

Dating multiple people at the same time I have done before, and I always feel kind of bad about it. I just don't think it's for me, really.

Just got back from meeting a girl from OKCupid. I'm not actually sure if it was a date, so to speak. She contacted me first, and specifically said it was because my profile mentions having an interest in scuba diving, which she also likes. She said that maybe we could take actual lessons together in future, as we both want to become qualified divers someday.

I contacted her back asking if she wanted to go out for drinks sometime, which we did so today. I had a good time, and I'm confident she did too, as she still seemed keen on finding somewhere we could go for scuba lessons.

We talked about other stuff too, so it's not like that was the sole topic of conversation, but I'm unsure if she's just looking for an activity partner or not. If she is, I'm not adverse to that, and I'd still be happy to see her again, but it would be nice to know either way. Her profile says she's interested in long-term and short-term relationships (nothing about activity partners, which there is a category for), but I'm not sure if I got a "date" vibe from tonight, as enjoyable as it was.

On a side-note, I was a bit concerned about her only photo just being of her face, but she was turned out to be really cute. It certainly taught me not to be immediately suspicious of people who don't have full-body/multiple photos. I've seen others here with the same concern, so I just wanted to share. :)

rugioh

Banned
http://www.okcupid.com/profile/juddermang

Any suggestions/criticisms/voodoo magic I should do on this thing would be greatly appreciated.

I rated you homie. Your profile is super solid in my opinion. Only thing I'd say is it may be narrowing the field alot if girls think that all you guys would do is chill and watch movies at home (nothing wrong with that..) just keep that in mind if you come across girls that seem like they want to go out alot/try new foods/visit places and whatnot. I haven't had any breakthroughs so far on the site but as with most things, patience is key. Good luck sir.

Pastry

Banned
Mind if I get some ratings from y'all? I think my profile is solid (let me know if you think otherwise) but I'd appreciate the ratings if you could, I'll rate back!

Just got back from meeting a girl from OKCupid. I'm not actually sure if it was a date, so to speak. She contacted me first, and specifically said it was because my profile mentions having an interest in scuba diving, which she also likes. She said that maybe we could take actual lessons together in future, as we both want to become qualified divers someday.

I contacted her back asking if she wanted to go out for drinks sometime, which we did so today. I had a good time, and I'm confident she did too, as she still seemed keen on finding somewhere we could go for scuba lessons.

We talked about other stuff too, so it's not like that was the sole topic of conversation, but I'm unsure if she's just looking for an activity partner or not. If she is, I'm not adverse to that, and I'd still be happy to see her again, but it would be nice to know either way. Her profile says she's interested in long-term and short-term relationships (nothing about activity partners, which there is a category for), but I'm not sure if I got a "date" vibe from tonight, as enjoyable as it was.

On a side-note, I was a bit concerned about her only photo just being of her face, but she was turned out to be really cute. It certainly taught me not to be immediately suspicious of people who don't have full-body/multiple photos. I've seen others here with the same concern, so I just wanted to share. :)

This is why I usually try to make it obvious that I'm in "date-mode" when I see these girls by breaking the touch barrier. Giving a hug upon meeting, lightly touching her lower back, and even do other date type things like open doors, etc.

I then gauge her reaction and then go on from there. But yeah, girls can be confusing when it comes to that

Also, I rated juddermang and Leoprod

Date coming! This Saturday. We're going to the Hayden Planetarium @ the American Museum of Natural History.

Damn, I ran into this girl that also liked this stuff and thought we'd hit it off but no reply. Planetarium's a cool place for a date IMO. Have fun there.

You see the contradiction?

I can't do it either. Not the very jealous type, but I draw the line somewhere.

BTW, I think the chance of getting a reply is also higher if you message someone while they're online. At least that's been true for me. My guess is maybe while they're there, they've already gone through all the messages over night and can see your message more easily. That's my guess anyway. God knows how many other guys could be simultaneously messaging her while she's online.

Actually, anyone on the other side or have fake account dealt with being messaged while you're there?

On the topic of messaging habbits and how people judge each other, I came across some interesting statistics on an OkCupid blog:

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/your-looks-and-online-dating/

Even though stereotypically the men supposedly only pay attention to "the hot girls", our definition of a "hot" or "average" girl is far milder than that of how women judge us. The graphs in the link clearly show that girls rate most guys as below average.

It's interesting since it indicates that women are far more critical of looks then men are, even though the stereotype suggests that men would be more critical.

This makes me wonder whatever happened to the OkTrends blog, it hasn't been updated in over year. Considering their blogs would get a ton of attention when posted you'd think they would make it more of a priority.

Futureman

95% match with a girl, she repsonds to my message:

"Hello, per some of your public answers, you are unwilling to date someone with some of my characteristics. Too bad. You don't seem like a complete fool compared to all other guys around here. Good luck."

haha wow. Either a fake account or this girl is pretty crazy.

Ashodin

"Hello, per some of your public answers, you are unwilling to date someone with some of my characteristics. Too bad. You don't seem like a complete fool compared to all other guys around here. Good luck."

I would inquire back on which ones she thinks would be a dealbreaker for you to date her. You can tell her that even though you answered those questions, depending on the person you can overlook things. (If that is something you can do, anyway)

Probably high maitenance so you dodged a bullet

I've sent personalized messages to girls talking about how much we had in common and gotten messages saying that I sound like great guy but didn't see enough in common between us.

meh

understand.png

Something I'll never understand. I come across this quite a lot - guys that list themselves as female on a dating site.

dralla

Meeting the young girl tomorrow night. I started texted with a super boring girl I posted about a while ago, she's still boring in text but she's starting to open up a little, she agreed to meet me after like half a day of talking haha, which is weird, unfortunately I had plans tonight..which of course got cancelled! ugh. oh well.

Ashodin

Meeting the young girl tomorrow night. I started texted with a super boring girl I posted about a while ago, she's still boring in text but she's starting to open up a little, she agreed to meet me after like half a day of talking haha, which is weird, unfortunately I had plans tonight..which of course got cancelled! ugh. oh well.

Keep at it bro

Jharp

Seeing as this has become the unofficial official thread for OKC on GAF, would I be out of line asking a bit of relationship advice? Don't want to make a new thread, and the girl in question is one I met on OKC.

Seeing as this has become the unofficial official thread for OKC on GAF, would I be out of line asking a bit of relationship advice? Don't want to make a new thread, and the girl in question is one I met on OKC.

Think you can ask either here or on the Dating thread, whichever you prefer :)

Jharp

Think you can ask either here or on the Dating thread, whichever you prefer :)

I'm such a jackass, I kept searching for "relationship," knowing I'd seen a big thread on the subject, but completely neglected to search for "dating."

Thanks, sir. I'll go ask there for the sake of pertinence.

Ashodin

I'm such a jackass, I kept searching for "relationship," knowing I'd seen a big thread on the subject, but completely neglected to search for "dating."

Thanks, sir. I'll go ask there for the sake of pertinence.

you could also ask here if you'd like

dralla

god damnit, I think I'm gonna get my first flake. supposed to meet tonight, I ask of 8 is good for her earlier this morning [we have nothing solid planned, just the day], no response all day.. My phone does suck and I do miss a lot of texts, but I've been getting everyone elses..I'm gonna see send her another text in like 30 and see what's up. I was kind of excited to meet this one too, damnit

Success! The day went wonderfully; the date was great, the girl was great. She said this was the best date she'd had yet, possibly because the others were some combination movie + bar.

We have plans to go to either another museum or (most likely, funnily enough) a movie.

Ashodin

god damnit, I think I'm gonna get my first flake. supposed to meet tonight, I ask of 8 is good for her earlier this morning [we have nothing solid planned, just the day], no response all day.. My phone does suck and I do miss a lot of texts, but I've been getting everyone elses..I'm gonna see send her another text in like 30 and see what's up. I was kind of excited to meet this one too, damnit

If it's 4 PM right now, well man... she done flaked

dralla

Well, she texted me. She "forgot" she had plans already [amazing how many girls online have such shit memory], but she still wants to meet up, next week some time, she said she'll 'make it up to me' if I came and visited her on her break, which sounds kinda slutty lol But yea, I wanna just give in and say OKAY NO PROB, but I just want honesty, if you don't wanna meet, don't be all flirty the night before about it. Eh I'll text her tomorrow I guess, see how it goes from there.

Success! The day went wonderfully; the date was great, the girl was great. She said this was the best date she'd had yet, possibly because the others were some combination movie + bar.

We have plans to go to either another museum or (most likely, funnily enough) a movie.

Museums make great first dates. Which kind was it? You should always have something to talk about. I try and avoid a dinner/coffee date like the plague. Not only can it get increidibly awkward, but you'll stand out a little since it's the go-to

Museums make great first dates. Which kind was it? You should always have something to talk about. I try and avoid a dinner/coffee date like the plague. Not only can it get increidibly awkward, but you'll stand out a little since it's the go-to

The American Museum of Natural History. A bulk of it was spent in/around the Rose Center (area devoted to space & earth). We "saw" the Big Bang (did you know it was accompanied by narration by Liam Neeson? I sure didn't), the Planetarium, African & North American Mammals, fossils, a black hole, and we walked through the development of the universe.

She really, really liked it. I'm so glad I chose it, plus we got all the early talking out of the way. So, we can do stuff like movies or another museum (I'm thinking of taking her to Edvard Munch's exhibit at the MoMA next, if it's still running).

dralla

Another good idea are festivals. There are some small museums out here [long island] that have different festivals, like a pirate themed one, a seafood one, and so on..So yea, be on the look out for some smaller museums, they have some cool stuff too

UFRA

Have you tried growing it out and getting a fringe on the go? What about some beard action? (sorry, I'm pretty much obsessed with beards).

I can't have long hair due to my job. Same goes with beards - not like that matters for me because I can't even grow a good beard.

My options are limited to short hair, and either a moustache +/- goatee combo, or nothing.

The American Museum of Natural History. A bulk of it was spent in/around the Rose Center (area devoted to space & earth). We "saw" the Big Bang (did you know it was accompanied by narration by Liam Neeson? I sure didn't), the Planetarium, African & North American Mammals, fossils, a black hole, and we walked through the development of the universe.

She really, really liked it. I'm so glad I chose it, plus we got all the early talking out of the way. So, we can do stuff like movies or another museum (I'm thinking of taking her to Edvard Munch's exhibit at the MoMA next, if it's still running).

Damn, been trying to find a girl like that too. You might even ended up asking someone I've also messaged. Glad to hear you had a good time though. I thought about going to these places for dates, just don't know how woman feel about a museum.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Are watermarks on photos gone for anyone else?

Now that you mention it... yes. They were definitely still there a couple days ago, though.

EDIT:

I didn't think I'd ever hear "What are your favourite TV shows and youtube channels?". Well, that day has come.

Well, she texted me. She "forgot" she had plans already [amazing how many girls online have such shit memory], but she still wants to meet up, next week some time, she said she'll 'make it up to me' if I came and visited her on her break, which sounds kinda slutty lol But yea, I wanna just give in and say OKAY NO PROB, but I just want honesty, if you don't wanna meet, don't be all flirty the night before about it. Eh I'll text her tomorrow I guess, see how it goes from there.

Take her side the first time, and if it happens again it'll be time to bail. A girl's idea of making it up to you is generally different from a guy's idea lol.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Do you guys ever use IM, when it's available? (e.g. the other person is actually online, too) Or do you only send messages?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom