• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
This.

Sent my first PM to a girl asking if she preferred League of Legends to Dota 2 and she viewed my profile right away but I've yet to get a response.

Absolutely gutted.

lol

Happens all the time, don't feel bad. Move on. (Also, I sure hope there was something on her profile prompting you to ask that question and you didn't just ask that out of nowhere lol)

As for me, still going pretty good with this girl from my uni who contacted me on OKC. 5 dates and we're getting along really well. Yay!

Maddocks

This.

Sent my first PM to a girl asking if she preferred League of Legends to Dota 2 and she viewed my profile right away but I've yet to get a response.

Absolutely gutted.

lol

you have to hit her with a Stanis quote in a few days,"You will bend the knee or I will destroy you......at ~preferred game here~

then when she responds, you hit her with your house words.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'm guessing this went out to all POF users...thought it was amusing.

markus creator of POF said:
sticking with my vision that POF is all about Relationships, I'm going to make a bunch of changes to ensure it stays a relationship-focused site.

1. Any first contact between users that contains sexual references will not be sent. Anyone who tries to get around this rule will be deleted without warning. This rule has actually been in effect since last month and it's made the site so much better.

2. You can only contact people +/- 14 years of your age. There is no reason for a 50 year old man to contact a 18 year old women. The majority of messages sent outside those age ranges are all about hookups. Anyone who tries to get around this rule will get deleted.

3. Intimate Encounters will go away in the next few months. There are 3.3 Million people who use the site every day, of those there are only 6,041 single women looking for Intimate Encounters. Of those 6,041 women, the ones with hot pictures are mostly men pretending to be women. Intimate Encounters on POF can be summed up as a bunch of horny men talking to a bunch of horny men pretending to be women.

Pastry

Banned
I'v come to the conclusion that the first response back means nothing. If by the second response I'm getting a couple of sentences then I'll be able to turn it into a date.

Had two more dates from OKC last week. First one was really fun and she was cute but I didn't really feel much chemistry. Second one I was kind of like yeah get me the fuck out of here haha.

Jzero

Why are 90% of the girls that respond to me uber-Christian?

My profile is not religious at all.

I even wrote on my profile that i don't want any religious people sending me messages and they still do
KuGsj.gif

Van Owen

Banned
Am I supposed to message every cute girl that views my profile, and never expect them to message me first?

The only girl to message me first was really fat.

Am I supposed to message every cute girl that views my profile, and never expect them to message me first?

The only girl to message me first was really fat.

In my experiences... yes. I went out with a girl two weeks ago, a little heavy, not really a looker... and she showed me where she gets 30-40 messages A DAY. Average girls and above don't have to message anyone because their inbox is pretty much filled with everyone they would be looking at anyways.

Since being in the online dating game since March-April, I've had 4 girls initiate contact. 0 that I would be interested in. : /

Starting to think the girls in the Cincinnati area just like the attention the site brings them, not actually looking for a relationship of any kind.

Van Owen

Banned
In my experiences... yes. I went out with a girl two weeks ago, a little heavy, not really a looker... and she showed me where she gets 30-40 messages A DAY. Average girls and above don't have to message anyone because their inbox is pretty much filled with everyone they would be looking at anyways.

Since being in the online dating game since March-April, I've had 4 girls initiate contact. 0 that I would be interested in. : /

Starting to think the girls in the Cincinnati area just like the attention the site brings them, not actually looking for a relationship of any kind.

Hmmm, if I was a hot chick is just message the guys I had an interest on instead of sorting through 50 creep guys a day.

I recently got back into the OKC game after a several month hiatus, and I'm running into a roadblock at the moment. My profile is crafted in such a way to grab the attention of very specific types of girls, and to that end it has been pretty successful, but the well of that genre of woman is essentially dry at the moment. I need to figure out how to make my profile more accessible and appealing to a wider group of people (while still retaining my personality), and I'm having troubles doing it.

Now that I'm on summer break, I'm going to try and become more active in this thread too. 'Tis the season for online dating!

Quote to see my profile.

Thanks in advance, you sexy group of lady (and man) killers!

Anyone have any good advice on writing something sexy in the profile without sounding creepy? Just something playful and sexy without creep vibes.

Tenks

Most of my conversations on dating sites (I used Match/PoF not OKC) were from female initiated contact. I think as long as you have an extraordinarily well written profile and some decent pictures up you are literally at the top 1% of the available candidates. The girls will notice that and initiate the contact. I feel people really overrate pictures and underrate their profile text on dating sites. I should note that it is the opposite for females where literally they could be talking about worshipping Hitler and drinking goat blood as hobbies and I wouldn't have noticed since I decided in 5 seconds based on pictures.

Van Owen

Banned
Most of my conversations on dating sites (I used Match/PoF not OKC) were from female initiated contact. I think as long as you have an extraordinarily well written profile and some decent pictures up you are literally at the top 1% of the available candidates. The girls will notice that and initiate the contact. I feel people really overrate pictures and underrate their profile text on dating sites. I should note that it is the opposite for females where literally they could be talking about worshipping Hitler and drinking goat blood as hobbies and I wouldn't have noticed since I decided in 5 seconds based on pictures.

Nah hot girls are just as shallow as guys.

Tenks

Nah hot girls are just as shallow as guys.

I'm far from a 10 but all the messages I got were saying how they liked my profile. I'm not saying I'm unattractive but it isn't like I had my shirt off and shit in the pictures. It was just me doing normal everyday stuff.

butzopower

proud of his butz
What do you all do for your profile pictures? My friends don't take a lot of pictures of each other, so I'm kind of stuck with either pictures I take of myself or photos from a few years ago. The old photos I have aren't terrible, but I've gotten my shit a bit more together since then, and would rather it show.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'm far from a 10 but all the messages I got were saying how they liked my profile. I'm not saying I'm unattractive but it isn't like I had my shirt off and shit in the pictures. It was just me doing normal everyday stuff.
Yeah, I get an average of a few female-initiated messages per week, and they usually comment on how funny I am, or interesting I seem, or even on my beard/pictures. The last one is something I probably wouldn't do, since I imagine that women must get a shitload of lame messages complimenting their looks.

So far, I've only gone out with women who've messaged me first, but some of that is due to me kind of getting lazy and not sending all that many messages out in the last month or so. I should be rectifying this soon, as long as I don't get bailed out on yet again.

Also, I do think that location has a lot to do with this stuff. I live in Boston and there are a TON of people using the site.

Leeness

Oh...oh no.

Talking to this guy, thinking of going on a date with him, we talk on the phone, he mentions he's on parole and is in a half way house and was just in jail for a bit.

...no thaaaaanks that makes me really uncomfortable.

Smiley90

Oh...oh no.

Talking to this guy, thinking of going on a date with him, we talk on the phone, he mentions he's on parole and is in a half way house and was just in jail for a bit.

:lol, ask him what he was in for? Maybe it was sth like possession or something else harmless.

Leeness

:lol, ask him what he was in for? Maybe it was sth like possession or something else harmless.

He said he wanted to discuss it in person, but that he was "present" while someone was badly hurt. Lol.

Eeeeh. I'm too goody goody, even if it was possession, it would still make me uncomfortable.

Prologue

Oh...oh no.

Sounds like a Gaffer.

Smiley90

He said he wanted to discuss it in person, but that he was "present" while someone was badly hurt. Lol.

Eeeeh. I'm too goody goody, even if it was possession, it would still make me uncomfortable.

Sounds like drunk driving to me.

But yeah, no...

Leeness

And some guy just asked me if I was into S&M and then tried to set me up with his friend.

I think I'm done for the night. Haha.

Haha, the girl I'm going out with showed me a couple messages she got recently on OKC and one was a fucking first message essay. Some of the things he said are a bit too honest for an introductory message, lol. Mind you, this isn't something that is just a one off, so you can understand why sometimes they're reluctant to answer back due to all the craziness some people send.

Tenks

Yeah females get a ton of hilarious messages from dating sites. Guys generally fall into a few categories:

(a) Way too wordy
(b) Creepy
(c) Desperate

One girl got a message from some guy and I copied it into word and it was two pages long of shit. If I went over 4 sentences in an opener I felt like I was rambling.

Yup. That message she showed me was a master class in not how to send a first message. One paragraph started with, "However, I do acknowledge that I have possessive, jealous tendencies." And of course it ends with, "I hope this didn't come across in a bad way. :)"

Uh huh. xD

Tenks

Guys tend to not understand the concept of less is more when it comes to dating sites. My first profile on match.com was hilarious in it's awkward horribleness. Talking about how I just want to meet someone and settle down and all this bullshit. I think I still have it saved off somewhere. It was also long as hell. My successful profile was like one paragraph that was about 4 sentences and a small list. Girls love lists.

I treated my profile similar to a resume. If you're trying to get a job you don't list all your flaws and all your shortcomings. You keep it brief, talk yourself up in a non-boastful manner and list a few key reasons to give you a shot. Leave it up to the girl to figure out you're a jealous clinger who just wants to get married and settle down.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Anyone have any good advice on writing something sexy in the profile without sounding creepy? Just something playful and sexy without creep vibes.
My advice? Avoid anything sexy. It might sound funny in your head, but it'll probably fly over the heads of most women just like sarcasm on this forum.

Ammish

Banned
I've been refining my profile after getting some advice. One good advice I've had was showing my humour rather than telling what kind of humour I have.

The thing is, I open up my profile with a holocaust joke. I have slightly got more responses than I originally had, but no one has told me I was a sick bastard yet.

Tenks

I've gone over my advice of a "show don't tell" profile at nausium a year or so back. I find it hilarious when people have a profile that says "I am funny" then literally has zero humor in it to back it up. If you want a girl to know you are funny then have a funny profile. Your profile should radiate your personality and not list attributes of your personality. I've also advised against saying anything about video games in the profile. Like it or not a dude as a "gamer" is seen as a flaw by the majority of women. Your profile needs to be accessible to all types and kinds of women. It's job is to get your foot in the door.

Ammish

Banned
I've gone over my advice of a "show don't tell" profile at nausium a year or so back. I find it hilarious when people have a profile that says "I am funny" then literally has zero humor in it to back it up. If you want a girl to know you are funny then have a funny profile. Your profile should radiate your personality and not list attributes of your personality. I've also advised against saying anything about video games in the profile. Like it or not a dude as a "gamer" is seen as a flaw by the majority of women. Your profile needs to be accessible to all types and kinds of women. It's job is to get your foot in the door.

I have that mentioned in my profile and I can see the issues why because it is still being stigmitised. But it is an aspect of me and it is important to me. It's something I don't want to shy away from and if that puts off 95% of women, then so be it. As I said, they don't have to share my hobbies, but they have to understand and respect that it is my hobby.

I don't want to leave that out and then when I go on a date with them , the issues of video games pop up and they have some misguided opinion. That puts me off and I thoroughly believe we won't get along.

I rather be rejected by one thousand woman and find one who's understanding than go through 1000 women in a trial and error.

Tenks

Again, your profile is to get your foot in the door. My GF admitted to me if she saw a guy listed "video games" as a hobby in his profile 9/10 she'd just move on. The reason is her past BF was super, super addicted to WoW. So she figured it would just be easier and best to not even date someone who was into video games. She just assumed most "gamers" who love video games enough to list it as a main hobby would go down the same path he did of ignoring her so he can play his games. She eventually realized video games are a big hobby of mine (hey, you don't get Masters league in SC2 without a bunch of time and effort) but I have a balance between them and my real life. Like I said it is a stigma and it is something that turns girls off. Your profile isn't meant to be some big political stance where you're standing up for the rights of male gamers. It is there to get you a date. If your profile isn't getting you dates then it isn't working.

I've heard it time and time again from women that they avoid profiles that list video games as a hobby. If there is an internal points system in their minds at best video games is a neutral +0 and at worst it is a deal breaker. So why have it in there?

Leeness

Haha, the girl I'm going out with showed me a couple messages she got recently on OKC and one was a fucking first message essay. Some of the things he said are a bit too honest for an introductory message, lol. Mind you, this isn't something that is just a one off, so you can understand why sometimes they're reluctant to answer back due to all the craziness some people send.

Yeah, I got one of those on OKC recently. He was like "I'm so bad at this and it's so awkward" and then got into "are you a virgin, well I am too!!" And it just kept going. And then when I didn't reply, he sent another and was all "see I told you how awkward I am at first messages" and...went on and on again.

It was so...awkward. Haha.

I don't care enough about OKC to go in an hide those questions that make it obvious that I have zero experience, but lol.

Ammish

Banned
Again, your profile is to get your foot in the door.

No, my profile is to express the type of person I am and what I want. I'm not picking elements which makes me desirable. I'm picking elements that makes me as a person to put on a dating profile, to let others know what they are expecting from me.

I don't put myself down, but rather even with hobbies like video games, I show "Yeah. I love them. What are you going to do about it?". If my profile is ineffective at that and make women eye roll, it's their loss and not mine.

I have no desire to compete with anyone. I just find a girl I like, message her and wait to see results. I'll refine my profile to better present myself, but I don't want to leave out key details that make me 'me'.

No, my profile is to express the type of person I am and what I want. I'm not picking elements which makes me desirable. I'm picking elements that makes me as a person to put on a dating profile, to let others know what they are expecting from me.

I don't put myself down, but rather even with hobbies like video games, I show "Yeah. I love them. What are you going to do about it?". If my profile is ineffective at that and make women eye roll, it's their loss and not mine.

I have no desire to compete with anyone. I just find a girl I like, message her and wait to see results. I'll refine my profile to better present myself, but I don't want to leave out key details that make me 'me'.

Yadda yadda, this attitude is super selfish.

WriterGK

Again, your profile is to get your foot in the door. My GF admitted to me if she saw a guy listed "video games" as a hobby in his profile 9/10 she'd just move on. The reason is her past BF was super, super addicted to WoW. So she figured it would just be easier and best to not even date someone who was into video games. She just assumed most "gamers" who love video games enough to list it as a main hobby would go down the same path he did of ignoring her so he can play his games. She eventually realized video games are a big hobby of mine (hey, you don't get Masters league in SC2 without a bunch of time and effort) but I have a balance between them and my real life. Like I said it is a stigma and it is something that turns girls off. Your profile isn't meant to be some big political stance where you're standing up for the rights of male gamers. It is there to get you a date. If your profile isn't getting you dates then it isn't working.

I've heard it time and time again from women that they avoid profiles that list video games as a hobby. If there is an internal points system in their minds at best video games is a neutral +0 and at worst it is a deal breaker. So why have it in there?

Thnx for the advice. I had it in my profile but after I read your post I deleted immediately from my profile :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom