• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jzero

Here is a crappy webcam pic of a change i did to my hair for anyone that saw my profile.

This better?

Definitely. Now just smile.

Smiling is really tough for me. Every one of them comes off and i think i look handicapped. My natural smile is really good but that very rarely happens, and i have very few opportunities when others are taking my photo and i look natural.

Well at least you fixed your hair. That's a good start.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Definitely. Now just smile.
This really does make a difference. I started getting a few more messages and high ratings when I went from a "smirk" type main pic to an actual legit smiling one.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Smiling is really tough for me. Every one of them comes off and i think i look handicapped. My natural smile is really good but that very rarely happens, and i have very few opportunities when others are taking my photo and i look natural.

Actually im gonna try taking my camera and using the HD video and record myself for like 30 seconds. Then grab the best frame and pretty it up. That could work actually.

GutsOfThor

It's always cool seeing people have success.

Personally,I've tried Okcupid three separate times, messaged close to 100 women, had people help me with my profile, pics etc... and got nothing. I've always known I was an ugly fucker but didn't think I was THAT ugly!

Was thinking of trying Match.com for shits ans giggles. Anyone on here tried it? If so, is it worth the price?

~Kinggi~

Banned
It's always cool seeing people have success.

Personally,I've tried Okcupid three separate times, messaged close to 100 women, had people help me with my profile, pics etc... and got nothing. I've always known I was an ugly fucker but didn't think I was THAT ugly!

Was thinking of trying Match.com for shits ans giggles. Anyone on here tried it? If so, is it worth the price?

A female friend a while ago told me that match is kind of a scam because they dont always reveal who is still paying and who isnt when they show results. And additionally from the female perspective, they have a money-back guarantee if you dont find a match, so she basically kept using it and sent out the messages required for the quota to get a refund but never acted on the messages. Basically games the system for a refund and get free dates. This was the warning she had for me.

I dont know if its changed. She told me that like 2 years ago.

Maddocks

no need to smile in pictures, just experiment with smirks and "Im better then you" looks and bam you will find a perfect smile replacement.

Or what you can do is turn on a webcam and watch something that makes you laugh for real and that will help.

I tried okcupid I believe 4 times before I gave it up for good, gave it up because I found a girlfriend from it. So I cant complain, my last try I went brutally honest with my profile, to the point people would say I might be self hating. She said she only messaged me because of my profile name. Believe that shit lol all my hard work and what got me my golden ticket was my user name on the site.

So guys and girls. Put time and care into your user name, if CrunchyTaco didnt work the first time, maybe TaintedButter might.

Maddocks

I consider you all my GAF-Cupid family now.

You still don't fuckin' do it.

GAF-Gupid......awwwwww

But on the 2nd point. Yeah, I agree don't do it. You might tell yourself its cheap, you have money to burn and stuff. But subconsciously you hope it works out and it gets you dates and stuff. But what if it doesn't work? you might say,"Well I only spent 20 dollars" but it will eat at you and you will start feeling like you exhausted all available avenues. Right now you rocking that,"shit was free who cares" with okcupid, but once you put money down.....nah dawg....don't do it.

Figured I should give it a shot. I'm 27 and have never been a serious relationship. Better late then never, right???

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/KINGofCRA5H

Okay, first of all the 6th word in your profile is a typo. You're "quiet", not "quite". Typos are actually a huge turn-off a lot of the time. But that doesn't matter, because you're going to remove that bit. And the part about being shy. Think about it. The first four adjectives any girl is going to read are "quiet" "silent" "shy" and "nervous". I'm not a girl, but I'd already be turned off.

I might use the bit about going to school for photography as the very first sentence. Then the sentence about being down for anything.

Any "Did I mention..." sentence should probably end with a question mark.

Get rid of the "Only missing that certain someone..." part. Most people are on this site to meet a significant other, but you can't be that upfront about it. Girls are going to typecast you as a stage 5 clinger, a desperate guy, or both.

You say you have a good job. Put that up front in the self summary section, ideally in the first two sentences. Girls like guys with good jobs.

Cut the vegetables and brussels sprouts line out of your food section. Also the shit about techno vs dance, how you could go on for days about the difference between genres, etc. If you're that big into EDM, you're better off listing some DJs that you like.

Cut "a shower" and "electric shaver" out of your 6 things. And then come up with three more that are more interesting, because right now you have five.

Cut the "where I'll be in 20 years" from the section about what you think about. Replace it
with something related to your work or hobbies.

Add some stuff to the "message me if..." section that makes you seem somewhat selective. Of course you aren't actually that selective, but this whole thing is promotional material. Make it seem slightly exclusive.

Maddocks

drop the smiles and capital letters unless its a start of a sentence.

also say you do nerdy things, not that you are nerdy because then it sound like you sit at a computer all day.

start that you went to college for photography, drop the"artsy" line and all things in " "s

Jhoan

OK here is my Profile, any suggestions? I need a name-change ASAP! Is there anyway to back it up? Should I create a new profile while keeping the old one up?

You're a handsome devil I must say. My mind has been blown; you come off so different online. Some titles need capitalization such as Cien Anos De Soledad and The Big Bang Theory. Otherwise, I think it's pretty solid. I'll give you a 4-5 star rating when I log back in.

As for the name thing, my name sucks as well but then again, I'm not good at coming up with witty online dating names myself. Mines is a reference to my neighborhood plus a hobby. I suppose if you want to come up with a witty name, then it should be related to a hobby or a pop culture reference to a show/book/movie.

In other news, I get rated 4-5 stars by chicks from time to time but the chicks that do rate don't really interest me. Maybe it's because I'm being too picky I suppose. I logged back in after a couple of days and I've only had one new visitor (the aforementioned chick that gave me a 4-5 star rating). I'm gonna send out a massive wave of messages probably in several hours or some time this weekend.

As always, online dating is extremely hit or miss since many women have the attention span of a cat and suddenly stop messaging you for one the 50 other dudes. I might try my hand at POF again even though I kind of don't like the format of the profile; headlines are no good for me.

I work in a freakin' photography studio ffs. I just need to get a smiling picture. What I really need are some nice candid shots... someone had the idea of putting on the webcam and watching something that makes you laugh, might have to try that.

You're a handsome devil I must say. My mind has been blown; you come off so different online. Some titles need capitalization such as Cien Anos De Soledad and The Big Bang Theory. Otherwise, I think it's pretty solid. I'll give you a 4-5 star rating when I log back in.

As for the name thing, my name sucks as well but then again, I'm not good at coming up with witty online dating names myself. Mines is a reference to my neighborhood plus a hobby. I suppose if you want to come up with a witty name, then it should be related to a hobby or a pop culture reference to a show/book/movie.

In other news, I get rated 4-5 stars by chicks from time to time but the chicks that do rate don't really interest me. Maybe it's because I'm being too picky I suppose. I logged back in after a couple of days and I've only had one new visitor (the aforementioned chick that gave me a 4-5 star rating). I'm gonna send out a massive wave of messages probably in several hours or some time this weekend.

As always, online dating is extremely hit or miss since many women have the attention span of a cat and suddenly stop messaging you for one the 50 other dudes. I might try my hand at POF again even though I kind of don't like the format of the profile; headlines are no good for me.

Now I am blushing.

Nah, I have an OKC and it's much creepier than POF for me. I've also had a lot more interesting conversations and met more people from POF.

I suppose it depends on the region. POF is like a fishtank of awful for me. Or maybe I just never got to complete a full profile there. Come to think again, I should do that

I work in a freakin' photography studio ffs. I just need to get a smiling picture. What I really need are some nice candid shots... someone had the idea of putting on the webcam and watching something that makes you laugh, might have to try that.

Getting candids is the hardest part IMO. That's why I have to actively make the point of people actually taking pictures of me when I am doing stuff.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Got my first kinda desperate-ish message (most of the ones I get from girls are pretty short and to the point). She copied and pasted like six or seven things from my profile and commented on them all, and called me witty at least three times. I'm sure she's nice and all, but just not my type. :|

Got my first kinda desperate-ish message (most of the ones I get from girls are pretty short and to the point). She copied and pasted like six or seven things from my profile and commented on them all, and called me witty at least three times. I'm sure she's nice and all, but just not my type. :|

Imagine how a girl feels when a guy does the same thing. This is why you don't waste too much time on them.

vatstep

Imagine how a girl feels when a guy does the same thing. This is why you don't waste too much time on them.
Yeah. I imagine that around 25% of messages that women get are ridiculously long and overwrought like that, and 50% are just "Hey, what's up?". Maybe the other 25% are tolerable.

Yeah. I imagine that around 25% of messages that women get are ridiculously long and overwrought like that, and 50% are just "Hey, what's up?". Maybe the other 25% are tolerable.
I met a girl who had made a spreadsheet of the contents of her full inbox to get an accurate percentage of the guys who were actually valuable out of the whole group. 3%. She had other criteria like spelling words correctly, though.

Jzero

Would you straight males date a transsexual? One just messaged me haha.
The funny thing is that this person is better looking than a lot of the girls on the site.

The funny thing is that this person is better looking than a lot of the girls on the site.

I think of myself as pretty open minded, but i'm not sure if i could be with someone who used to be a dude

casual or serious

dralla

That's funny, there's a transexual that pops up on my POF search once in a while and she's also better looking than a lot of the people. If I posted a pic I think most dudes would wanna smang, honestly.

Van Owen

Banned
Is A list a scam?

Someone rated me highly but when I search based on their match/friend/enemy % and location and age there's no direct match based on what okcupid let's me see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom