• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dralla

Just not to seem so eager, I guess. I suppose I could just send a message now saying it was nice meeting her and innocently apologizing for sounding so nasaly due to my getting over a cold.

Just say 'It was nice meeting you, hope you had a good time' or something along those lines. If she responds positively, keep texting and try setting up a second meet up. If she ignores you, well, then she obviously wasn't feeling it and you move on.

(._.)

Banned
I literally have zero interest in any of the girls in my area on this site but the coolest most cutest redhead just made an account today and I think she may be really digging what I have to say.

I just feel so unfamiliar with online dating. I don't know when it's appropriate to suggest swapping numbers and how to go about calling them.

Should I start seeking her # or is it too soon?

Our convo (her profile said somethign about being good at doing "her own stunts"):
vyWwkhJ.jpg

EDIT: LITERALLY ONLY TWO GIRLS IN MY AREA THAT I LIKE. The other one is viewing my profile. I sent her something cute yesterday PLEASE RESPOND TO MY MESSAGE GIRL #2.

Anybody else feel like there are so few people on this site worth talking to?

fUo8hV7.jpg

EDIT2: SHE JUST RESPONDED IN THE BEST POSSIBLE WAY.

Fuck, I want to meet both of these chicks :\

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Meet them both. See where it goes. I mean, better to meet both than to only meet one and that not working out, and then not being able to meet the second one again, right. :p Congratz though! Hope you can pull off some meetings. I see you tried getting the first one to agree on meeting up twice, but she skillfully dodged it both times :lol. Maybe exchange phone numbers first? I think you definitely wrote exactly the way you should. Playfully suggesting a date, then if she doesn't bite right away introduce yourself. Now is a good time to start exchanging phone numbers. Then start setting something up!

(._.)

Banned
Meet them both. See where it goes. I mean, better to meet both than to only meet one and that not working out, and then not being able to meet the second one again, right. :p Congratz though! Hope you can pull off some meetings. I see you tried getting the first one to agree on meeting up twice, but she skillfully dodged it both times :lol. Maybe exchange phone numbers first? I think you definitely wrote exactly the way you should. Playfully suggesting a date, then if she doesn't bite right away introduce yourself. Now is a good time to start exchanging phone numbers. Then start setting something up!

Those were not literal invitations to do something in person, man. I was just being flirty and chummy like how one should be when introducing themselves via online dating websites..These are OKC message. If they were interpreted positively by her though in the way you suggested then how could I refuse? I've yet to seal any dates this early in conversation... You're gonna jinx it congratulating me this soon! Please wait to do that once one of them has lets me spank her >.< OKC messages don't mean anything... Ideally I just want to work towards chatting some on the phone first before meeting. I don't like meeting girls off the internet that I know nothing about. I've done it before and it just feels weird. Thing is I'm never sure when to ask for numbers on these sites. I can chat comfortably on the internet or in person but I'm never sure when to make the transition. That's where I need help. Should I just be straight forward and ask quickly?

Girls must be throwing their easy pussy at him and he likes them hard to get.

Pretty much. Idk, I think I'm still just hung up on my ex. OKC girls are nice, fun, some are more "hot", more sexual, are into more things that I like and have all these random things I thought I wanted more from my ex but....I dunno. Just not the same. I keep trying to decide if I want to delete my account but then I think I'd just be mulling over it too much

EDIT:
I was discussing this with a girl this past week. I think just the idea of OKC weirds me out a bit. It's just all there you know? Your interests, your "match" percentage, it just seems odd to calculate something about attraction. It's a meat market.

defel

Seeing as how the dating thread seems to be off the frontpage and Im kinda proud of what Ive just done Ill post it here - I just street approach 5 girls this morning. First a Chinese girl on a conference trip to London. Second a cute Spanish girl who was kinda shy but appreciated the conversation. Third another Spanish girl who actually looked more South American but had terrible English, I talked with her for 5 mins and she was really cool, Im going to see if I can meet her again soon. Fourth, a Japanese girl who recoiled in horror when I spoke to her as if I was going to attack her! I could tell she was kinda freaked-out so I let her go almost straight away. Finally a Malaysian girl who was shopping for gifts as it was her final day in the country before moving back home.

I added them all to facebook apart from the Japanese girl. It was pretty terrifying at first but I actually had fun and once I got into the rhythm I became pretty natural. Im hoping to make a habit of this and do it more frequently

Smiley90

Uh... Not to take anything away from you, but wouldn't that post be more suited for the regular dating thread, not the OKC/online-dating one? ;) congratz though!

(._.)

Banned
Seeing as how the dating thread seems to be off the frontpage and Im kinda proud of what Ive just done Ill post it here - I just street approach 5 girls this morning. First a Chinese girl on a conference trip to London. Second a cute Spanish girl who was kinda shy but appreciated the conversation. Third another Spanish girl who actually looked more South American but had terrible English, I talked with her for 5 mins and she was really cool, Im going to see if I can meet her again soon. Fourth, a Japanese girl who recoiled in horror when I spoke to her as if I was going to attack her! I could tell she was kinda freaked-out so I let her go almost straight away. Finally a Malaysian girl who was shopping for gifts as it was her final day in the country before moving back home.

I added them all to facebook apart from the Japanese girl. It was pretty terrifying at first but I actually had fun and once I got into the rhythm I became pretty natural. Im hoping to make a habit of this and do it more frequently

Not my thing but I can tell you now... just make sure to be an utmost gentleman and know when your friendly approach for conversation starts to become overbearing. Seems like you already have this down but always keep yourself in check. Street harassment is a major issue around the world. Some may feel threatened when you do this to them because of past negative experiences from others.

defel

Uh... Not to take anything away from you, but wouldn't that post be more suited for the regular dating thread, not the OKC/online-dating one? ;) congratz though!

Ah ye I see the Dating thread is still in OT, not in OTC! Thought it had been lost in the community thread re-shuffle :)

Not my thing but I can tell you now... just make sure to be an utmost gentleman and know when your friendly approach for conversation starts to become overbearing. Seems like you already have this down but always keep yourself in check. Street harassment is a major issue around the world. Some may feel threatened when you do this to them because of past negative experiences from others.

Ye Im aware of that. Usually you can tell when someone is uncomfortable and not enjoying it.

(._.)

Banned
How do you know if you're coming on too strong? I have no body language to judge or anything. This feels like the hardest part of online dating imo. I just don't know what's real. Should I just ask her to txt me? I'm losing interest in small talk on here and I have a feeling she is too.

How do you know if you're coming on too strong? I have no body language to judge or anything. This feels like the hardest part of online dating imo. I just don't know what's real. Should I just ask her to txt me? I'm losing interest in small talk on here and I have a feeling she is too.

Haven't been active much on this thread lately (I've had to repriortize dating and looking for a job), but here's my two cents from exp.

I'm going to assume that you've been talking to a girl online for a while right? Just ask her for her number or ask to meet her in person asap. I recently had a thirty message conversation with a girl on OKC (her fault, not mine....I asked her out TWICE) and got sick of it and got bored and just disappeared randomly one day. Always try to push towards meeting as soon as possible or one of you is bound to get bored. Good luck!

Yay! Been a month or two, but I finally got in touch with someone on OKC and met for dinner over the weekend.

She seems great and we have a lot of the same interests, and she had some pretty good Catwoman+Lara Croft cosplay pics too! :D

Got another date Thursday that should be fun. I love theaters that serve food+alcohol!

nOoblet16

Been chatting with a girl, and suddenly Skydiving comes up and now I am in an argument with her over whether it's a real sport or not (I am a skydiver btw). So far so good !

Skydiving's been always a great way to get someone's attention, thank God I decided to get into this sport.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just had a kind of disappointing experience last week. I rarely look at my OKC profile mostly just because of how dated it is and I'm too lazy to maintain it. But every once in a while Ill some messages, or I'll browse on my lunch or something. Anyway so I met a girl last Saturday. It was probably one of the best first dates I've ever been on. We started with coffee, went to a music store where she tried to teach me how to play ukulele, then to a use bookstore where I read her the technical manual on how to service a color tv from like 50 years ago, then we went to a bar and had a beer. Her friend came to pick her up from there and we even kissed! I was pumped, we had basically just talked nonstop for like 4 hours or whatever. So we FaceTime for the next few nights and she mentions trust issues/wanting commitment etc. I chalk it up to the fact that's usually like 3am when we'd chat.

Anyway, so we meet for a second time and she's super awkward and annoying. She wanted to hold hands the time! I'm like dude we literally just met. Then we go to a coffee shop and she waits until after I order to tell me she's not gonna get anything because she's broke, and I'm like I don't care just order, but she refuses my offer! And makes me sit and drink a lattes and eat a muffin in from of her. Oh man anyway. I told her we shouldn't see eachother and she didn't see,mtoo upset. What a bummer though.

nOoblet16

Skydiving isn't a sport, it's an activity, sry bro
A sport is defined as anything that requires physical athleticism or physical dexterity. You are confusing freefall with sport skydiving. Skydiving as you know is simply free fall.
Sport skydiving is officially sponsored, with competitions and it's active at university level since the athletic union of UK universities recognize it as a sport and fund it.

To even be able to do half of what's shown in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FxQm_uFo7g

or this even a fraction of what's in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpMxWd4Pank

requires an immense amount of body control and dexterity. So I'm sorry but I have to disagree.

Anyway so I met a girl last Saturday. It was probably one of the best first dates I've ever been on. We started with coffee, went to a music store where she tried to teach me how to play ukulele, then to a use bookstore where I read her the technical manual on how to service a color tv from like 50 years ago, then we went to a bar and had a beer. Her friend came to pick her up from there and we even kissed! I was pumped, we had basically just talked nonstop for like 4 hours or whatever. So we FaceTime for the next few nights and she mentions trust issues/wanting commitment etc. I chalk it up to the fact that's usually like 3am when we'd chat.

Anyway, so we meet for a second time and she's super awkward and annoying. She wanted to hold hands the time! I'm like dude we literally just met. Then we go to a coffee shop and she waits until after I order to tell me she's not gonna get anything because she's broke, and I'm like I don't care just order, but she refuses my offer! And makes me sit and drink a lattes and eat a muffin in from of her. Oh man anyway. I told her we shouldn't see eachother and she didn't see,mtoo upset. What a bummer though.

This shit doesn't compute. You're the one who seems awkward as hell in this situation.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. She was super weird and awkward. I've got places to be and people to see.

Well, I'm putting my account on hold for a while. Getting messaged by another crazy no personality Chinese woman was the last straw for me. Apparently getting uninteresting people with no sense of humor and no personality is the best I can do. Her message was stupid, and her profile was an incoherent rant about money? I think? This is about all the luck I have. It's one of the reasons I avoid Asian women. They're ok as friends, but can't stand them in a relationship. I'd give my own rant, but I know people will call it out as generalization. There's a reason they get generalized though.

Just had a kind of disappointing experience last week. I rarely look at my OKC profile mostly just because of how dated it is and I'm too lazy to maintain it. But every once in a while Ill some messages, or I'll browse on my lunch or something. Anyway so I met a girl last Saturday. It was probably one of the best first dates I've ever been on. We started with coffee, went to a music store where she tried to teach me how to play ukulele, then to a use bookstore where I read her the technical manual on how to service a color tv from like 50 years ago, then we went to a bar and had a beer. Her friend came to pick her up from there and we even kissed! I was pumped, we had basically just talked nonstop for like 4 hours or whatever. So we FaceTime for the next few nights and she mentions trust issues/wanting commitment etc. I chalk it up to the fact that's usually like 3am when we'd chat.

Holding hands on the second date seems pretty normal to me

Smiley90

Well, I'm putting my account on hold for a while. Getting messaged by another crazy no personality Chinese woman was the last straw for me. Apparently getting uninteresting people with no sense of humor and no personality is the best I can do. Her message was stupid, and her profile was an incoherent rant about money? I think? This is about all the luck I have. It's one of the reasons I avoid Asian women. They're ok as friends, but can't stand them in a relationship. I'd give my own rant, but I know people will call it out as generalization. There's a reason they get generalized though.

Racist much?

Yep. Seems perfectly normal.

Racist much?

I was bitter when I wrote that.

How can you not be disappointed when you try to have an open mind only click on an almost by the numbers stereotype you can find? I'm Asian, and I see the way people behave has more to do with how much our culture has influenced us. A lot of us do try to please our parents, but sometimes that also means they end up with all the bad traits too. Me, I'm a tree hugging Chinese hippy who dresses up as Santa on Halloween.

Normally this doesn't bother me, but the feeling sucks when you try to be open minded and still get walking stereotypes coming. Well, there was that other girl with no personality and even said she couldn't write anything about herself. So has so little personality that even her friends couldn't figure out what to write about her in her profile.

Anyway, I'm taking a break, not like I'm always active on OKC. Maybe once or twice a month, but during those times, I keep my profile open.

stn

Man, women can be so confusing sometimes. There's this girl that has been viewing my profile too many times. Except in her profile she explicitly states she's only into Muslim men. It is VERY obvious that I am not Muslim based on my picture. Could she just be attracted to me anyway? Yeah. But still...

Spacebar

How do you guys reply back to a girl that actually writes you a well thought out message? Thanks, but no thanks or don't reply back at all? I usually don't respond to half ass messages, but this one actually took the time to read my profile etc.

How do you guys reply back to a girl that actually writes you a well thought out message? Thanks, but no thanks or don't reply back at all? I usually don't respond to half ass messages, but this one actually took the time to read my profile etc.

If you're not interested, then don't reply. That's what we all do.

Fuck that. Reply and just say you don't think you two would be a good match. Hell, she took the time to send you a message with actual thought put into it and you wasted your time coming in here to post about it. You could have easily sent her a message essentially saying what you did here.

Ignoring messages is why most people just resort to a lazy 'Hi' to everyone that's online. It just propagates the shittiness that plagues dating sites at the moment.

Fuck that. Reply and just say you don't think you two would be a good match. Hell, she took the time to send you a message with actual thought put into it and you wasted your time coming in here to post about it. You could have easily sent her a message essentially saying what you did here.

Ignoring messages is why most people just resort to a lazy 'Hi' to everyone that's online. It just propagates the shittiness that plagues dating sites at the moment.

Yep. Just keep it simple and say she's not your type

Jimothy

I find conversations with girls who message me first die out very fast. Usually they're complete non-starters like "heeyyy" and I have no idea what to say other than "yo". I always have more luck if I message girls first because I usually try and start a dialogue about something on their profile, which leads to them asking something about mine. Boom. Conversation.

Jhoan

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with that; it's a harmless gesture and like Wabbit said, it's pretty normal by the second date. It's not like she wants to hold hands so she can place it on her ass. Jtwo, it almost sounds like you got offended/defensive when she said that. Obviously she's into you. Maybe it takes more dates for you to warm up to women in which case I suppose I understand.

Straight talk: what is wrong with you?

I'm reading this as her trying to be affectionate in a totally normal, time-appropriate way, you blowing her off, then she's just bummed for the rest of the date and waits for it to end because you just don't seem interested.

UFRA

I just realized...

I had a second date with a girl last fall, and we were out hiking in the woods. She stumbled on a rock (possibly on purpose) and I masterfully caught her fall by grabbing her hand. We then held hands the rest of the hike. It felt totally right and normal.

Yeah, Jtwo, definitely you were the awkward one dude.

(._.)

Banned
I just realized...

I had a second date with a girl last fall, and we were out hiking in the woods. She stumbled on a rock (possibly on purpose) and I masterfully caught her fall by grabbing her hand. We then held hands the rest of the hike. It felt totally right and normal.

Yeah, Jtwo, definitely you were the awkward one dude.

oh my god.. that sounds so cute >.<

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with that; it's a harmless gesture and like Wabbit said, it's pretty normal by the second date. It's not like she wants to hold hands so she can place it on her ass. Jtwo, it almost sounds like you got offended/defensive when she said that. Obviously she's into you. Maybe it takes more dates for you to warm up to women in which case I suppose I understand.

I would have been down with that on a second date as well (and possibly the first)

Jhoan

I would have been down with that on a second date as well (and possibly the first)
Me too, I wouldn't have had any problems provided I like the chick too. Either way, from his perspective he would have been repulsed to do anything which again makes zero sense. Liu Kang always bakes truth pies.

Jhoan

Has anyone tried the Broadcasting feature via the app? For the uninitiated, Broadcasting basically sets up an instant date; you pick the place, activity and either within (now) 90 minutes or Tonight (in several hours).

I know a few GAF members have had success so I've been thinking about trying it out after not getting any hits. I think my profile or pictures aren't winning me any favors. I'll probably repost it for critiques. Reddit's OKC section is also pretty informative.

Has anyone tried the Broadcasting feature via the app? For the uninitiated, Broadcasting basically sets up an instant date; you pick the place, activity and either within (now) 90 minutes or Tonight (in several hours).

I know a few GAF members have had success so I've been thinking about trying it out after not getting any hits. I think my profile or pictures aren't winning me any favors. I'll probably repost it for critiques. Reddit's OKC section is also pretty informative.

I think the general consensus is that "your mileage may vary". Depending on where you live it might be slim pickins

Jhoan

I think the general consensus is that "your mileage may vary". Depending on where you live it might be slim pickins

I live NYC so it should be pretty easy enough. It is a bit risky in that it's basically a blind date but it cuts the fat of having to message countless women. There's a lot of days where I have nothing better to do but I've been hesitating to try it out. I suppose I have nothing to lose.

element

I'm becoming frustrated with the site.

I've updated my photos. Gives some idea that I travel. I have a dog. I'm active.

For my profile I've attempt written a lot, I've thinned it out, but it doesn't seem to matter.

I've sent long thoughtful messages and I've massed emailed with thoughtless cut and paste.

Still no one is bitting.

I guess it is time to do a 1000 situps a day and put some ab photos on there...

I never used the app and only looked at the website. I just started and the broadcast thing worked out whilst I was in LA for a few days on holiday.

Met up with a rock chick, who took me to some cool bars (Rainbow bar, where I met Ron Jeremy who is a friend of hers). Few strange events during the night and morning, but ended with some lovely happy time in my room (lost my v-card, yay).

Will definitely be trying it when I am back in London.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom