• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jzero

I really hope this is a joke account haha.

iRSrwXeVMWDs.PNG

Jhoan

Hey guys, I got back from my date about 2 hours ago but unfortunately, I wasn't physically attracted to her since she was much larger in person than in her pictures. If she contacts me, I'm going to let her down easy and say we should be friends. See this post in the Dating Age thread for the nitty gritty details on why I wasn't feeling her:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=66834136&postcount=6611

Back to hitting up chicks I go. It should be fun.

EDIT: -tetsuo-, I gave you a five star rating man.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I sent out like 30 messages in the last few days. All no bite. I am officially ugly.

edit: I think I saw that. I had dudes looking at my profile so I assumed they were gaffers. I'm gonna 5 star everyone back.

bjb

Banned
Joined this site largely as a joke a month ago. Had no real expectations. Made a completely sarcastic, long and likely offensive profile. Complete with only self-shots as pictures.

Took about two weeks to finally see legitimate results. Sent out mostly ridiculous or off-the-wall messages. Granted, some were fairly creative and witty. Ultimately went out with 5 different girls. Which mind you, was expensive as fuck.

Flash forward to a month later. Now in a committed relationship with one of the girls. Had dinner with her family last night. Thanks OkCupid.

I sent out like 30 messages in the last few days. All no bite. I am officially ugly.

edit: I think I saw that. I had dudes looking at my profile so I assumed they were gaffers. I'm gonna 5 star everyone back.

You apparently have never rated another person who rated you and gotten the 'We chose each other!' message.

Madrin

Is it unusual for girls to stop messaging after an initial response? So far almost every girl who has responded to one of my messages hasn't replied to my second message. I can't tell if it's just girls being flaky or if I'm terrible at follow-up messages.

RayStorm

Is it unusual for girls to stop messaging after an initial response? So far almost every girl who has responded to one of my messages hasn't replied to my second message. I can't tell if it's just girls being flaky or if I'm terrible at follow-up messages.

That is perfectly normal.

I'm getting quite addicted to this now. I had to reorganise how I used the site. Previously, I would hide any women that I wasn't interested in/not a good fit/not suitable, but now I've just decided to rate and save notes on them. I did have to go back an unhide everyone (140+ pages of them!).

I think my new profile picture is definitely helping as I'm getting maybe 2-3x as many views as before. People were right to recommend a smiley picture.

I am actually getting some dates and numbers from people, after so many years of nothing. I'll see how things go, but I like the speed at which things can progress from checking out each other's profile, to mails and IM through to a call and date.

@Madrin. I've found that too about people stopping replying.

Leeness

Uhhh....

Was talking with a guy, it was nice, we were texting, and this morning we were talking about jobs and then he started talking about how he should be my pimp. Uuuuh. Sure, just a joke but really, should you be talking to a girl you just started talking to about that? :/

Really put me off. I'll talk to him a bit more, but we'll see if he can come back from that.

Necrovex

A little strange that I cannot find the dating thread.

Oh well, anyway, a new update on my love life. I usually ask out women through internet dating sites. Since I graduated from college last month, I have been in a slump when it has come to online dating. Been reading up on Buddhism and expanding my personal philosophy, and of course work. Basically working on myself and preparing for my future.

But yesterday, I asked out this woman when I went to Gamestop to trade in all of my old games. I didn't expect to do any form of flirting or asking out when I went to Gamestop, all I was prepared to do was to trade everything in and place it towards a PS4. I saw a cute GS clerk working alone, and after talking to her a little bit, I decided to ask her out to grab a drink in the near future.

My heart was racing towards the end when I made that decision. Anyway, she said yes, and I got her number. A nice little woo woo moment. She's at a tournament right now, so I plan to hear back from her involving her schedule sometime next week.

Regardless if it works out or not, it's good that I am making strides with asking people out via RL rather than completely relying on the dating sites.

maxxpower

Joined this site largely as a joke a month ago. Had no real expectations. Made a completely sarcastic, long and likely offensive profile. Complete with only self-shots as pictures.

Took about two weeks to finally see legitimate results. Sent out mostly ridiculous or off-the-wall messages. Granted, some were fairly creative and witty. Ultimately went out with 5 different girls. Which mind you, was expensive as fuck.

Flash forward to a month later. Now in a committed relationship with one of the girls. Had dinner with her family last night. Thanks OkCupid.

Do you live in a relatively big city?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Thinking about deactivating my account again soon. Not really using it, gonna be moving pretty soon back to my po-dunk small city midwest homeland where OKC was a bust before (because of the utter lack of people near by on it) and I wasn't really even getting much results here in a big metropolitan area. So yeah.

Jhoan

Thought this was funny and interesting. It looks like this chick has some pretty damn high standards. Good luck finding someone:

7UqFujs.png

I've seen several profiles where chicks moved into the city from another town. It's getting kind of boring coming across the same types of profiles. Regardless, I went on a messaging spree and hit up several women. I'm doubting that any of them will reply but I did put some thought into each individual profile's message and asked a question.

stn

Girls who make it appear like they have really high standards are trying to compensate for the fact that they're online dating. They just want to appear like they're all mighty, intelligent, and too sophisticated for everyone there.

I just avoid them. Let them be lonely. :)

Jhoan

Girls who make it appear like they have really high standards are trying to compensate for the fact that they're online dating. They just want to appear like they're all mighty, intelligent, and too sophisticated for everyone there.

Yeah, that's why a lot women write tall tales in their profile such as having been to several continents in the world and worked in corporate offices.

The funniest thing is that chick is only twenty and mentioned that if you're an artist, not to bother her. She also mentioned that she looks like a bitch. I didn't bother hitting her up even though I met most of her naive standards.

Necrovex

Yeah, that's why a lot women write tall tales in their profile such as having been to several continents in the world and worked in corporate offices.

The funniest thing is that chick is only twenty and mentioned that if you're an artist, not to bother her. She also mentioned that she looks like a bitch. I didn't bother hitting her up even though I met most of her naive standards.

Just send her a message that only contains your avatar.

Madrin

It's not necessarily a compensation thing. I'm sure being bombarded by messages from guys is annoying enough to some girls to inspire those disclaimers. With that said, I do tend to avoid girls whose profiles start off with a list of demands for guys. It just looks obnoxious.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Meeting a girl from match for the first time in like an hour. Nervous as fuuuuuuuuck. Meeting at a starbucks, we both dont really care for coffee but I couldnt really think of any other place to go and talk as well as stay out of the 100+ heat outside without having her drive a distance.

Oh my god... sitting here trying to fill out a profile. I have to be the most boring person on the motherfucking planet. Jesus christ I got nothing to put.

Be as self-deprecating as possible. Girls love that shit apparently.

I'm gay though :(

I realize that all I really do is study biology, browse GAF, surf tvtropes/wikipedia for new info, play vidya games, and watch anime. I need to get back into reading and find some new fucking hobbies.

Jimothy

I'm gay though :(

I realize that all I really do is study biology, browse GAF, surf tvtropes/wikipedia for new info, play vidya games, and watch anime. I need to get back into reading and find some new fucking hobbies.

Meh. You like what you like. I was exactly the same as you when I first joined. I thought I was an incredibly boring person with nothing to offer. I have jack shit for hobbies and don't really have any good pictures of myself that aren't selfies. The only thing I do with my free time is watch movies and read history books, and I basically laid that all out in my profile. And wouldn't you know, I started to get profile views and replies to my messages almost instantly. It probably helps that I'm 6'3" but height can only get you so far. Also try to have relatable stuff in your profile. Like, for example under the tab "I spend a lot of time thinking about" I wrote "that really awkward thing I did 8 years ago", and girls have commented on how much they relate to it because they do the exact same thing. So basically "you do you" and you'll probably attract some people who you can click with. Accepting your weird quirks and slipping them into your profile makes you way more approachable than cookie cutter bullshit like "i'm outgoing and love to make people laugh". Trying to be someone you're not will get you nowhere.

Meh. You like what you like. I was exactly the same as you when I first joined. I thought I was an incredibly boring person with nothing to offer. I have jack shit for hobbies and don't really have any good pictures of myself that aren't selfies. The only thing I do with my free time is watch movies and read history books, and I basically laid that all out in my profile. And wouldn't you know, I started to get profile views and replies to my messages almost instantly. It probably helps that I'm 6'3" but height can only get you so far. Also try to have relatable stuff in your profile. Like, for example under the tab "I spend a lot of time thinking about" I wrote "that really awkward thing I did 8 years ago", and girls have commented on how much they relate to it because they do the exact same thing. So basically "you do you" and you'll probably attract some people who you can click with. Accepting your weird quirks and slipping them into your profile makes you way more approachable than cookie cutter bullshit like "i'm outgoing and love to make people laugh". Trying to be someone you're not will get you nowhere.

Thanks for the encouraging words. It certainly gave me a bit of hope. :)

Also I assume selfies are pictures you take of yourself with your arm outstretched? Or mirror shots. Are those considered bad?

Jzero

Thanks for the encouraging words. It certainly gave me a bit of hope. :)

Also I assume selfies are pictures you take of yourself with your arm outstretched? Or mirror shots. Are those considered bad?
Most women seem to hate mirror shots for some reason but i still uploaded one anyways so they could get a perspective of my body shape. Since you're gay though, that may be different.

Most women seem to hate mirror shots for some reason but i still uploaded one anyways so they could get a perspective of my body shape. Since you're gay though, that may be different.

I've certainly had a problem with the mirror shots in the PYP thread.

FairyD

So I sent a message to someone last night after she viewed my profile on Saturday and she replied!

It's funny how something as simple as a message can lift your mood so easily. It's not often that someone replies, here is hoping it goes well.

Jhoan

So I sent a message to someone last night after she viewed my profile on Saturday and she replied!

It's funny how something as simple as a message can lift your mood so easily. It's not often that someone replies, here is hoping it goes well.

That's online dating for you buddy; girls reply or they don't. Either way it's no big deal. Hopefully it leads to something so good luck.

Raynes

I messaged a really attractive girl about a show she watches and asked what she thought of the end. She seemed polite and told me she likes it, but that was it nothing else to work with. What would I do in a situation like this? Does it mean she's not really interested?
Anyway I just messaged her back still discussing the show lol, probably shouldn't have but didn't know what else to say.
Edit: I realize I should have just started talking about something else on her profile, not rocket science :p

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I messaged a really attractive girl about a show she watches and asked what she thought of the end. She seemed polite and told me she likes it, but that was it nothing else to work with. What would I do in a situation like this? Does it mean she's not really interested?
Anyway I just messaged her back still discussing the show lol, probably shouldn't have but didn't know what else to say.

I had a three strike rule. I she responds three times with not asking me anything back she's not interested and I won't pursue it anymore.

stn

I have a one-strike rule, lol. If all I receive is the answer to my question then I move on. To be honest though I stopped messaging girls in general. I've been getting tons of messages but no longer feel the urge to randomly chat with people unless I'm attracted. I'm pretty sure I've gone from "replies often" to "replies very selectively" after ignoring the last 20 or so people. :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom