• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes while going through OkCupid profiles it just makes me so depressed, especially when I find women who write this in the "Message Me" section

You are AT LEAST 5'10. Seriously. I need you to be AT LEAST one inch taller than me. I am done responding to messages from guys who are 5'5.

SeanR1221

Not to branch off ok Cupid, but I had a couple friends who didn't have much luck on ok Cupid move to the app Tinder and they've had multiple dates.

One friend has had like 9 dates in 2 months.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
It is getting angry in here again.

tumblr_m9czzqP0J71qiiqedo3_500.gif

Samara

Sorry to interrupt, but I did find a man on OKcupid since March , everything is great. He's a sweethearth, and I've let my profile up. About 3 weeks ago, Ive changed my looking for to Activity partners.

Anyone had any luck to this? Im talking to this guy , and he does have looking for a relationship but as well looking for partners. I dont want to lead people on. But he looks like a nice guy

Jimothy

Sorry to interrupt, but I did find a man on OKcupid since March , everything is great. He's a sweethearth, and I've let my profile up. About 3 weeks ago, Ive changed my looking for to Activity partners.

Anyone had any luck to this? Im talking to this guy , and he does have looking for a relationship but as well looking for partners. I dont want to lead people on. But he looks like a nice guy

I doubt any guy on Okcupid is looking to make friends or "activity partners" even if they have them listed on their profile. It's a dating site. If you're looking for friends try meetup or something.

Ovid

Yep "Curvy"

Well, she's not lying.

I doubt any guy on Okcupid is looking to make friends or "activity partners" even if they have them listed on their profile. It's a dating site. If you're looking for friends try meetup or something.
Not true, I am.

I mean, I would prefer to have an activity partner or a friend before getting into a relationship whether it be short term or long term. I don't want to force a relationship.

Ovid

That "this person likes you" notification is very misleading. Every person I message never responds.

Is it a random notification?

Ovid

Online dating ain't for people like us (black people). You'd have a better chance messaging random chicks on facebook then using OKC or what else.

Just keep sticking to real life pick ups and clubs,
LOL, why do you say that?

What type of women do you usually go after? Race wise that is.

Ovid

It means they rated you highly. Sounds like your messages need work. Care to share them?
90% of the time I just ask them a question about something in their profile.

Nothing special.

What about the OKC app? I think the Locals feature plays a part in the notification too. I think most of these people are using that.

Jhoan

"Person likes you" means you both said Yes to each other in Locals in the mobile application.

"Person rated you highly" means they rated you 4 or 5 stars on the website.
Speak of the devil. I just got an email saying that someone "likes me." It's a cute looking Asian chick; go figure. I will definitely "check her out."

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Well, I decided to reactivate my profile again, due to a new strategy I learned in the Dating OT. Problem is it requires me to go against many of my current behaviors. While some change is good, I'm starting to think I won't really be myself anymore. Kinda sad to learn being myself really won't work.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Well, I went into "Don't give a fuck mode" tonight sending kooky messages to people who didn't respond to a previous message.

First response wasn't so great:

Me said:
Alright Samantha, I challenge you to prove to me your dog is better than mine. My dog lays against me while I sleep.
Her said:
My dog used to come into the bathroom when I was showering and peek her head in and start lapping up all the water dripping along the tub. Then she would sit down on the bathroom rug and wait for me to come out. My family put her to sleep a few weeks ago though because she became terminally sick.
Me said:
..well, now I feel bad. Sorry for your loss.

Bleepey

Online dating ain't for people like us (black people). You'd have a better chance messaging random chicks on facebook then using OKC or what else.

Just keep sticking to real life pick ups and clubs,

lol my luck as of late has taken a turn for the better. I went out on a date with this insanely curvey cutie on sunday and hopefully we'll be meeting today, was talking to a decent-looking black chick and yesterday i had probably one of the hottest looking girls i have ever seen messaged me and she lives 10 minutes down the road by bus from me. And then because it was going to well i fear i was kinda boring when i talked to her on the phone and she is not interested. Lord this girl is fine as fuck.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Just seen a girls profile, she is looking for guys who likes girls and are single but is NOT interested in dating, or having any kind of intimate or sexual relations. She says this twice on her profile and seems adamant she just wants to make friends.

What's the deal with people like this??

I bet she just wants to be friends with hot guys too and won't respond to me.

Just seen a girls profile, she is looking for guys who likes girls and are single but is NOT interested in dating, or having any kind of intimate or sexual relations. She says this twice on her profile and seems adamant she just wants to make friends.

I think a lot of women on dating sites put that to avoid attracting too much unwanted attention. I would imagine it is quite rare for someone to actually go on a dating website just to make new friends.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I think a lot of women on dating sites put that to avoid attracting too much unwanted attention. I would imagine it is quite rare for someone to actually go on a dating website just to make new friends.

Any sage advice on how to approach these types of girls GAF? :) funnily enough it's probably these types of girls who appeal to me most.

Ovid

I don't have a problem with this.

Would you want to be friends with a person before heading into a relationship with them? I feel if you put short or long term dating your just forcing it.

That's just me though.

Well, I went into "Don't give a fuck mode" tonight sending kooky messages to people who didn't respond to a previous message.

First response wasn't so great:
Damn.

"Person likes you" means you both said Yes to each other in Locals in the mobile application.
It happened to me again. Yet, no response. Annoying.

BTW -- I have A-list so I can tell if they read it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
UGH.

I just met with this little smokin' hot cutie pie on the bus. Out of the blue she just comes out and tells me that I have nice eyes. I'm like "Wtf??" I try and make some small talk, and I wanted to get her contact info, but I had to get off on my stop. I'm gonna regret this for a good couple of weeks I imagine.

When you meet up with someone, like say on the bus, do you guys immediately get their phone number/facebook or what?

Gregorn

How many fakes are there on okcupid? My friend make an account yesturday and got some messages from legit asians, and then one that seems too good to be true.

"Sometimes I love to flash strangers to see how they'll react. I was on the train back to London one weekend and I was sat opposite a man in a suit that was just staring at my legs. I was wearing tights and a short skirt. Every time I tried to catch his eye he'd subtly look back at his newspaper. Eventually I excused myself to go to the bathroom, took off my knickers and tights and stuffed them in my pocked. When I returned I waited until I saw him looking again, then I did a Sharon Stone scene crossing over my legs and giving him a glimpse of my bare pussy."

He's a perma virgin nerd like us, but apparently he's already talking to this girl and it's going well. Okcupid can't be this good, can it?

stn

@Oblivion

Well, think of it this way: if you don't get the contacts at that same time, when will you? You have to give your contacts or get her contacts at that very moment.

@Spiffy_1st

Do a reverse image search on Google. If no matches come back, just tell him to be careful. Make sure he doesn't give vital info or send any dick pics, lol.

Symphonia

Banned
Had a bit of a surprise earlier; logged into my OKCupid after a few days and I've got three messages from three different girls. The weird thing is that they started the conversation, not me. I've never had them start the conversation before, it's always been me. But she seems into me and she seems pretty cool. Not what I'd usually go for looks wise, though.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
How many fakes are there on okcupid? My friend make an account yesturday and got some messages from legit asians, and then one that seems too good to be true.

"Sometimes I love to flash strangers to see how they'll react. I was on the train back to London one weekend and I was sat opposite a man in a suit that was just staring at my legs. I was wearing tights and a short skirt. Every time I tried to catch his eye he'd subtly look back at his newspaper. Eventually I excused myself to go to the bathroom, took off my knickers and tights and stuffed them in my pocked. When I returned I waited until I saw him looking again, then I did a Sharon Stone scene crossing over my legs and giving him a glimpse of my bare pussy."

He's a perma virgin nerd like us, but apparently he's already talking to this girl and it's going well. Okcupid can't be this good, can it?

@Oblivion

Well, think of it this way: if you don't get the contacts at that same time, when will you? You have to give your contacts or get her contacts at that very moment.

@Spiffy_1st

Do a reverse image search on Google. If no matches come back, just tell him to be careful. Make sure he doesn't give vital info or send any dick pics, lol.

Yep. This. I just did one and nothing on Google and nothing on Tineye. I think it's probably legit but tell him to tread with caution.

Gregorn

Yep. This. I just did one and nothing on Google and nothing on Tineye. I think it's probably legit but tell him to tread with caution.

Yeah, nothing came up for her other pics either.

This is convincing me that I need to make an account, I thought it would all be fats and creeps.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
@Oblivion

Well, sure. But we only spoke for like literally less than 2 minutes. Didn't even exchange NAMES! I mean, sure I've asked out girls when I've met them for the first time, but we at least know something about each other by that point.

I'm just saying in this particular situation it would seem really abrupt and kinda weird, no?

Oh and by the way, when you guys do ask for contact info, what's the better option: phone number or facebook?

Symphonia

Banned
Oh and by the way, when you guys do ask for contact info, what's the better option: phone number or facebook?
I usually go for a phone number. I don't want to introduce them to my Facebook too early, although I had one somehow find mine before giving any details - not even my last name.

I saw this profile. At the very bottom it said "r9k".
It's a 4chan thing, so most likely a fake profile.

Ovid

Had a bit of a surprise earlier; logged into my OKCupid after a few days and I've got three messages from three different girls. The weird thing is that they started the conversation, not me. I've never had them start the conversation before, it's always been me. But she seems into me and she seems pretty cool. Not what I'd usually go for looks wise, though.
That's usually always the case for me. If they ask me a question I just answer it. No harm in that.

I know it's a dating site but sometimes you can just meet cool people too.

stn

If a girl randomly compliments you on the bus...chances are she wants you to ask for her number. Next time it happens just ask for it. Even if you don't get it, whatever. Like you said, you only spoke for a few minutes.

And honestly, online dating can be legit. Most of the girls who message me are average or slightly above, but there HAVE been some really good looking ones. My advice is if it doesn't hurt your ego, always leave the account there. You have a better chance at getting a random message than you do if its closed.

EDIT: I should add that I never closed it with all the good looking ones. They all messaged me but lost interest and stopped replying But honestly, they were quite simple: I doubt it would have been a good fit. There was one who stuck around but I blew it by acting a bit too alpha, lol (I posted about her wayyyy back). In retrospect I was in the wrong. Oh well, life goes on!

Anyway, I'm posting this minor anecdote just to show that there definitely are great looking girls to be found online.

Jhoan

Well now it seems that I got a little back and forth going with the Asian chick that rated me highly. She has a big nose and a septum piercing (not a fan of those) but overall, she's easy on the easy on the eyes. Her body type says "Curvy" and I believe it; she doesn't look fat in her body pictures; on the contrary, she has nice legs. Let's see where it goes.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Haha, another person I messaged last night during my "Don't give a fuck" mode responded. She was the only one I hadn't messaged before. Maybe I should give no fucks more often. :p

Jhoan

Another chick rated me highly; bisexual. Only problem is she lives so far from my way; about 3 hours at least. Looks decently attractive too. I don't think I'll hit her up as a result. Funniest thing is that she mentioned that dudes with their abs as their main picture shouldn't hit her up. However, one my 3 pictures is of me in swimming trunks but it's not the main one... okay. It looks like I'll continue to get rated highly more frequently at this rate.

I've also been answering more random questions publically to increase my profile's visibility.

spuckthew

So I sent some girl a message Monday night. She responded just over an hour later, but I had already gone to bed by that point (it was quite late). I only saw her response as I was leaving the house for work in the morning, so naturally didn't have time to reply at that point in time. I didn't get around to responding until I got home. I have A-List so could see that she had read my reply, but I don't get why she hasn't responded back. Her reply to my first message was as follows:

"Hey Matt, I'll admit that was a wonderful message to read. :) I'd love to get to know you better. You seem like a really great guy - even more so for liking cats!"

My reply to the above included some stuff about how my family's a bit of a cat family, a little bit about myself that my profile doesn't mention (nothing that I'd thought would put someone off), and asking her a couple of harmless questions. What gives?

If I don't get a response again from someone who seems interested in me, I think I'm going to lose all hope.

RC Cola

Just need to give it some time. Doesn't sound like a lot of time has passed since you sent that last message. Recently, I've been talking to two girls (still doing so, off of OKC even), and they've taken up to a week to respond, even after reading the message (and those responses are sometimes just "Sorry for not responding to your last message, but I've been really busy.").

Maybe she decided she didn't want to talk to you anymore, but I'm guessing she's just a little busy, and maybe she wants to put some time into answering the questions you asked her (that's what the girls I talked to have said, regarding the long delays between messages).

You can maybe send another message in a week or so, or possibly try IMing her if she has that enabled. Just for small chit chat. Can maybe get a better indication if she wants to talk to you.

Symphonia

Banned
This turned out to be bullshit. A 'friend' set up a fake profile to trick me. Absolutely gutting.

Symphonia

Banned
I would not really call that person a friend anymore. Something like that is just terrible. I'd be so pissed.
I don't and I am. I should've noticed really; the fact we had so much in common, the fact that 'she' messaged me first, the fact she was quite cute and showing interest in me. I feel like such a twat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom