• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhoan

Didn't know this thread was here.

Been doing so great on this stupid site. Been having at least 2 dates a week and me and this girl had snapchat sex the other night.

I love snapchat now by the way.

And do people actually use A-list? I always thought that would be a little tough on the ego seeing people reading your messages and not replying. I feel like the less I know the better. I even turn off visitors for this very reason. I live in a bubble until I decide to message someone.
I do the same thing for the same reason. I'd rather not know if a chick I hit up but didn't reply visited my page. Wouldn't want to bruise my ego or get worried. And welcome back. I take it your modeling pictures have scored you dates?

.GqueB.

Banned
I do the same thing for the same reason. I'd rather not know if a chick I hit up but didn't reply visited my page. Wouldn't want to bruise my ego or get worried. And welcome back. I take it your modeling pictures have scored you dates?
It's the one in my avatar. It's just gotta be.

Jhoan

It's the one in my avatar. It's just gotta be.
I'm jelly. Maybe I need someone to take a picture of me holding up a fake moustache and become a vegetarian. ;p The NYC single ladies haven't given some of us a chance but through the fire and flames we carry on.

Necrovex

Jesus this woman is proportioned like a comic book character o_O

I want to see this girl now. I love anime-proportion women. Though, the one I dated turned out to be mentally insane.

I am on both! I just never check OKC because it creeps me out most of the time. Either Nice Guys in Fedoras, or one guy who messaged me like 15 times and like watched all my movements one day. "Looking at my profile huh?", "Guess you didn't like what you saw?", "Why not?", "Hi.", "Hey".

Haha, you'll find someone eventually! I'm cool with chilling out in this camp forever on my own. :)

I have this one homosexual dude who constantly looks at my profile and keeps contacting me. This has been going on for the past year.

And I might be moving from Florida in the very near future, so I am not sure what to do with this account. I might change it and let women know that I am only interested in short-term due to my possible relocation for a federal position (if I'm lucky it'll be in San Diego, San Franciso, or DC!).

.GqueB.

Banned
I'm jelly. Maybe I need someone to take a picture of me holding up a fake moustache and become a vegetarian. ;p The NYC single ladies haven't given some of us a chance but through the fire and flames we carry on.
Let me see your prof. Shoooww mmmee the prroffff.

Jhoan

That's a damn fine profile. Ladies aren't responding?

Though I will say you come off as a little too serious. You don't seem to have much fun. I'm sure you do but it's rather absent from your profile. Your personality isn't really showing through. Very 'business'y.
I haven't sent a message out in over 2 weeks save for a few this week to an Asian girl who rated me highly. We had a few exchanges but she hasn't responded. I've had a lot of messages fizzle on me after a few replies. I've only gotten 3 visitors this week. I will definitely edit it and make it sound more fun but my life lately has been boring so that's probably why. Which areas would you say need fixing?

Jzero

I do the same thing for the same reason. I'd rather not know if a chick I hit up but didn't reply visited my page. Wouldn't want to bruise my ego or get worried.

That just happened to me :(
Being all knowing isn't as awesome as I thought.

Jhoan

Damn son! I didn't know you were a stud.
I did mention that I lift in the Why Do Workout thread. In person, I look more ripped. It's thanks to good genetics and a high metabolism. People assume I play baseball or basketball and can pass as a model.
Believe it or not, I'm a virgin.
That just happened to me :(
Being all knowing isn't as awesome as I thought.
That sucks man. It must hurt when you see that a woman's read your message but doesn't reply. Ignorance is bliss in this case. Gotta keep on trucking.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Well, my "date" went incredibly well; I'm still grinning about it over 90 minutes later. Along with other things that happened beforehand made it one of the best nights I've had in the last decade.

She turned out to be a very smart, driven and easy to talk to. Smart women is a huge turn on for me, something nothing beforehand indicated. I greatly appreciated how compassionate she was about the topics I asked her about. It's true that people love talking about themselves; my guess is the ratio was 5:1 in her favor. Hopefully she enjoyed our walk and talk for an hour as much as I did. Now I need an excuse to be in her area more often.

Even if nothing comes from it though, I had a great time. Not giving a fuck makes everything so much easier.

.GqueB.

Banned
How many unsolicited messages do you get from girls Gque?

I do well but I don't do THAT well. I may get 1 or 2 a week depending on how active I am. I just get a decent response rate is all. You'd be surprised how many women refuse to message first.

I haven't sent a message out in over 2 weeks save for a few this week to an Asian girl who rated me highly. We had a few exchanges but she hasn't responded. I've had a lot of messages fizzle on me after a few replies. I've only gotten 3 visitors this week. I will definitely edit it and make it sound more fun but my life lately has been boring so that's probably why. Which areas would you say need fixing?

I find that spending too much time messaging on there causes things to fizzle out pretty quickly. After that initial conversation, you should be looking to just meet up. I usually get to the point about three messages in unless we're talking about something SUPER specific where it would seem forced.

As for visitors, I find that it depends a lot on how active you are. Quickmatching helps out. But even editing your profile here and there can help. I'm talking little things like adding a period because that puts you on the activity page which is the home page. You get more visits that way I think.

As for your profile, the girl I'm currently seeing would say that it's a little too wordy. I had a very similar profile and she said it seemed like I was a little desperate. This may not apply to every girl that reads your profile but keep it in mind. You also repeat yourself a bit unintentionally. What I got from your profile is "I work a TON". As I said, your personality doesn't show through. You get a hint of it with your I spend a lot of time thinking about section. Other than that, there's no real indication of who you are. It's all about what you do which you get into on the date. Use the profile to sell who you are. I feel like it's important to give an idea of what a date would be like with you.

I'd also shorten your favorite, books, movie etc etc section. For one, no one reads that ever and it's makes your profile look longer than it has to be. I'd say overall your profile is pretty good in that you seem very genuine. I would just, again, let a bit more of your personality show through.

Take this all with a grain of salt of course. There's no be all end all way to do this thing. This is what I've discovered in my conversations about okc. I know a lot of women on this site so they always want to air their gripes.

Here's mine (since you provided yours). It's been described as "alienating" but I like women to know what they're getting into, Lol.

I mentioned this a bit earlier in the thread, but I think my profile needs some serious reworking, along with some new, better photos. I am slightly below average in looks, so I feel like I need an amazing profile to make up for it ... but I don't think I have that. I get a lot of visitors, especially people I message, but no replies what-so-ever, so something is wrong on my profile.

Here it is. Feel free to go to town on it. I'm probably going to tear each section apart and rewrite it all eventually, so why not get a headstart on finding help?

Jhoan

I find that spending too much time messaging on there causes things to fizzle out pretty quickly. After that initial conversation, you should be looking to just meet up. I usually get to the point about three messages in unless we're talking about something SUPER specific where it would seem forced.

As for visitors, I find that it depends a lot on how active you are. Quickmatching helps out. But even editing your profile here and there can help. I'm talking little things like adding a period because that puts you on the activity page which is the home page. You get more visits that way I think.

As for your profile, the girl I'm currently seeing would say that it's a little too wordy. I had a very similar profile and she said it seemed like I was a little desperate. This may not apply to every girl that reads your profile but keep it in mind. You also repeat yourself a bit unintentionally. What I got from your profile is "I work a TON". As I said, your personality doesn't show through. You get a hint of it with your I spend a lot of time thinking about section. Other than that, there's no real indication of who you are. It's all about what you do which you get into on the date. Use the profile to sell who you are. I feel like it's important to give an idea of what a date would be like with you.

I'd also shorten your favorite, books, movie etc etc section. For one, no one reads that ever and it's makes your profile look longer than it has to be. I'd say overall your profile is pretty good in that you seem very genuine. I would just, again, let a bit more of your personality show through.

Take this all with a grain of salt of course. There's no be all end all way to do this thing. This is what I've discovered in my conversations about okc. I know a lot of women on this site so they always want to air their gripes.

Here's mine (since you provided yours). It's been described as "alienating" but I like women to know what they're getting into, Lol.
I took a look at your profile, rated you, and trimmed down my content significantly after gleaning it. It's remarkable that we have similar subway mannerisms. It should be much easier to read now. By the way, I still have your number.

I've been answering questions publically in the hopes of increasing my visibility. I've become incredibly more cynical about sending out messages hence why I stopped doing the daily messaging grind. But it'strue that it's better to get the number sooner rather than later because it does feel like the messaging is being dragged out at times. Women are there to meet up in person first and foremost although I had a case where I went for the number early and got declined because the girl said I was still a stranger. She was 19.
I mentioned this a bit earlier in the thread, but I think my profile needs some serious reworking, along with some new, better photos. I am slightly below average in looks, so I feel like I need an amazing profile to make up for it ... but I don't think I have that. I get a lot of visitors, especially people I message, but no replies what-so-ever, so something is wrong on my profile.

Here it is. Feel free to go to town on it. I'm probably going to tear each section apart and rewrite it all eventually, so why not get a headstart on finding help?
I looked at your profile and to be honest, I just skimmed through it; I couldn't read the whole thing. I understand why though since I have an AA in English but maybe you should trim down the content and a lot of the specifics for in person. I rated you by the way.

By the slightly off-topic but are you going to the NY Comic Con this year again? I just got accepted to work there again so I'll definitely be making the thread for it again soon.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member

First off, you're not slightly below average in looks; you're a pretty handsome guy. Only picture I would suggest dropping is the first one since it is too far away and doesn't show you having fun.

The myself summary is great; You shouldn't change it at all. Maybe make it a little more upbeat, but I don't think it's necessary.

Currently? Just working a lot. Life keeps me busy, but I get to do a few things I enjoy, so I'm not too unhappy. I do get out and like to go new places in my free time, though.
Remove that. I think some negativity is okay, but not in regard to your happiness. I'm interested in what you do for work, so maybe add details on that, but it doesn't mean the ladies would be.

"I'm really good at" is also well written.

Is that in a world where it's very easy to feel like things are awful, I tend to be pretty optimistic and outgoing. Almost to a fault, perhaps? That and perhaps the fact I'm not 6'5", and thus, suck at basketball.
I wouldn't say that. It's turning a positive into a negative. Not being 6'5'' thus suck at basketball is the sort of negative that is fine IMO since it's funny.

Favorites, six things, typical Friday and private thing are also fine.

You think I'm interesting, of course! I'm always willing to chat. There's a lot here I haven't mentioned yet. Trust me; I'm awfully exciting even if I don't have supermodel looks.
NO NEGATIVES! Don't bring attention to something negative that's not even true! "Always willing to chat" rubs me the wrong way for some reason, but I would recommend getting further opinions here. Maybe don't start with "You think I'm interesting" either.
Plus, if you never message me ... how will you know how interesting I could be?
Change the end to "I am". It's probably fine again it just feels wishy-washy. Rest is solid.

I think your profile is pretty great; you come of as a rad guy. You might just want to work on your opening messages instead. Any girl who doesn't give you a chance is missing out, dude.

First off, you're not slightly below average in looks; you're a pretty handsome guy. Only picture I would suggest dropping is the first one since it is too far away and doesn't show you having fun.

The myself summary is great; You shouldn't change it at all. Maybe make it a little more upbeat, but I don't think it's necessary.

Remove that. I think some negativity is okay, but not in regard to your happiness. I'm interested in what you do for work, so maybe add details on that, but it doesn't mean the ladies would be.

"I'm really good at" is also well written.

I wouldn't say that. It's turning a positive into a negative. Not being 6'5'' thus suck at basketball is the sort of negative that is fine IMO since it's funny.

Favorites, six things, typical Friday and private thing are also fine.

NO NEGATIVES! Don't bring attention to something negative that's not even true! "Always willing to chat" rubs me the wrong way for some reason, but I would recommend getting further opinions here. Maybe don't start with "You think I'm interesting" either.

Change the end to "I am". It's probably fine again it just feels wishy-washy. Rest is solid.

I think your profile is pretty great; you come of as a rad guy. You might just want to work on your opening messages instead. Any girl who doesn't give you a chance is missing out, dude.

Thanks. :) I'll tweak the profile a bit after work.

stn

Agreed. Delete anything that's remotely negative. As far as the world is concerned, you have supermodel looks, are 6'7, are the most exciting person alive, and fully believe in all of it.

.GqueB.

Banned
Agreed. Delete anything that's remotely negative. As far as the world is concerned, you have supermodel looks, are 6'7, are the most exciting person alive, and fully believe in all of it.
"Act as if..."

Such delicious advice. Thank you Ben Affleck.

Jimothy

Say you're 6'7" even if you're not. Girls love it when guys lie about their height.

$200

Banned
I signed up a few days ago and the highest match % has been around 95%-96% while the friend % rarely goes higher than 90%. Is this normal? Trying to figure out if I am having too many "unacceptable answers".

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I signed up a few days ago and the highest match % has been around 95%-96% while the friend % rarely goes higher than 90%. Is this normal? Trying to figure out if I am having too many "unacceptable answers".
For me it is and I don't have many unacceptable answers. If you really think something is unacceptable don't change it just to work the numbers. You should only alter answers where you've been persuaded/re-evaluated the question. For example, while I hate smoking and originally said it was unacceptable to smoke, when I thought about it further it's their choice as long as they are courtesy about it.

E-phonk

Banned
OKC is quite interesting, especially in Europe where it tends to have a lot of expats or at least the more interesting people compared to other more casual local dating sites.

stn

Say you're 6'7" even if you're not. Girls love it when guys lie about their height.
Nononono, hahahah. What I was trying to say was that each guy should think and believe that he's the shit. But yes, never lie about your traits and characteristics. Part of being confident is accepting who you are. :)

Yeah, it's pretty normal.

I think some people get really caught up in the numbers as a be-all, end-all instead of just a metric, though.

Jzero

The person i've "liked" the most had a match of 96 and a friend percentage of 70. Too bad she was the only person that didn't reply.

xist

I've just realised the secret to this is to stop caring and just send out random, hopefully slightly interesting, messages which you have as little attachment to as possible. Since i ceased feeling invested in getting replies i feel much more balanced....

Jimothy

I've just realised the secret to this is to stop caring and just send out random, hopefully slightly interesting, messages which you have as little attachment to as possible. Since i ceased feeling invested in getting replies i feel much more balanced....
Yeah anything more than one line is the kiss of death. I got a girl to reply to me after I sent her an anti-joke but then I fucked it up by typing a 3 line long message about something stupid. I regretted sending it immediately. It's weird how you forget everything you've ever learned about online dating when you're interested in banging a hot girl.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Indeed. It's best not to be too invested in any woman in general until you're dating.

I think I now know how the ladies feel when they are the target of yellow fever. That said, can woman have yellow fever? I felt offended when the guy she likes matches me perfectly. But damn she's hot as hell. Then I noticed she's unemployed and the hotness drops back down to 0. I ended up running into 2 girls like that in one day. The yellow fever part, not the unemployed part... thank god.

Jimothy

I think I now know how the ladies feel when they are the target of yellow fever. That said, can woman have yellow fever? I felt offended when the guy she likes matches me perfectly. But damn she's hot as hell. Then I noticed she's unemployed and the hotness drops back down to 0. I ended up running into 2 girls like that in one day. The yellow fever part, not the unemployed part... thank god.
I am so confused.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Women can have yellow fever. It's probably much less common.
I am so confused.
He's talking about white guys who like women of Asian decent.

$200

Banned

image.php

Unicorn

I do well but I don't do THAT well. I may get 1 or 2 a week depending on how active I am. I just get a decent response rate is all. You'd be surprised how many women refuse to message first.

Great profile man. I'm jealous. I don't have any good recent pictures and hate taking "selfies."

I really like how you did the interest section. Short, but each category gives insight on what you like and isn't just a laundry list. Definitely need to redo mine.

Here's mine for you guys again (last time I posted [and updated] was over a year ago) so I think some more critique may do me some good:

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/ADivineUnicorn/photos?cf=profile

Ovid

I hate when women write a damn novel on their profiles. All I see is a pretty face and a wall of words.

Am I the only one?

EDIT: And sometimes the shit makes no sense.

I hate when women write a damn novel on their profiles. All I see is a pretty face and a wall of words.

Am I the only one?

EDIT: And sometimes the shit makes no sense.

lol yeah me too. Honestly, that's kind of a turn off.

I feel like profiles should present the person's life in a concise manner. I feel like some people try to tell their whole life story and all the itsy bitsy details of their personalities too much. Let me find that out on my own.

Jhoan

Definitely agree with the wordy profiles being a chore to read; chicks can say how awesome they are with less words. I just encountered several profiles like that and skimmed through them since I don't care to read how chicks are sarcastic or have traveled to the 8 corners of the world. It's overwhelming and TMI. Save stuff such as being an INFJ or accents for in person. It's insane. I can't deal with wordy profiles all that well.

Hm... I'm definitely in the camp that prefers lengthy profiles. I'm online; I have time to sit down and read through stuff. I know that no matter how long their profile may be, they probably have a million more things to talk about. In fact, it's far more likely that the smaller the profile, the less background information there is behind it. They end up being far less interesting. Not always the case though.

I guess I'm just a reader.

stn

I just love getting messages from girls with no profile pics. I mean, what are they honestly expecting? I swear, you can find some really weird people online!!!

Jzero

I just love getting messages from girls with no profile pics. I mean, what are they honestly expecting? I swear, you can find some really weird people online!!!

Seriously. The girls that piss me off are the ones with a 40% match that rate me highly and send me a message. You could tell all they did was look at my pictures.

i actually had a pic-less girl message me, but she said she would send me some cause she wanted to stay anonymous. she ended up being pretty cute!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom