• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC Cola

While I guess it may not hurt to be "cautious," I wouldn't necessarily be too concerned about getting messages like that. My ex messaged me first, was quite cute (IMO...pretty sure she was a 5 star average, but can't remember), showed interest in me, had so much in common (99% match, 92% friend, 0% enemy), etc.

Have a similar situation with one girl I'm messaging right now (not quite the same since we're long distance, not quite as similar, and want to start off as friends, but she is cute, messaged me first, enjoys my messages/profile, etc.).

It does suck that a "friend" did that to you though. Pretty messed up.

freshair

This turned out to be bullshit. A 'friend' set up a fake profile to trick me. Absolutely gutting.

That is fuccccccked up beyond belief. By preying on people's feelings like that?

BlLNn6I.gif

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
This turned out to be bullshit. A 'friend' set up a fake profile to trick me. Absolutely gutting.
I thought there were three different girls? Your "friend" is an asshole.

I'm having the most interesting, relaxed conversation going on right now:
How I started said:
'ello Anne. So, what's the most useless piece of knowledge you know? I'm not sure what you would qualify as useless. Everything I'm thinking of has some value. For example, the US national motto only became "In God We Trust" in the 1950s. Also, Maine was once a part of Mass.
Here profile said she knew a lot of useless information.
Her said:
1. Wearing makeup was considered whore-ish in the 1800s, cosmetic companies made their money selling creams, gels and tonics that created a youthful appearance and increased hair growth.

2. Tap water in German is leitungswasser. <spelling approximated

-and anything can be useful in the right situation.
Me said:
Speaking of German, it's the most spoken language in Europe. English is the most common second language.

Stalin didn't save his son from a POW camp. His son committed suicide by running into an electric fence.

Have anymore?
Her said:
Stalin's wife also committed suicide. She jumped out of a window of a tower in the Kremlin. Lovely fellow, Stalin.

Both the Germans and the French have government organizations to regulate their language. The Germans use this to keep their language up to date with current pronunciations, word usage and even documenting German slang as it develops. The French use this to create french words to replace words that enter the language from other languages, generally specifically english. They do this to keep the French language "pure".
I already have an idea of what to say next.

Necrovex

Just make sure your friends don't know you're on there.

Oh god, my friend knows I have an OKC account; he even has one! Am I doomed to be tricked, Gaf?

Ew no. Haha. I have an account and like...other than GAFfers who contact me on there, it's much creepier than POF. In the area, all I get are the Nice Guys in Fedoras.

No thanks.

I have the opposite problem. There are so many redneckish/country women on POF. Most of my worthwhile dates came from OkCupid.

Jhoan

I got a request to be a Moderator on OKC. Only problem is I can't do it through the app as I'll have to delete it to access it via my phone's web browser. This is gonna be fun.

Leeness

I have the opposite problem. There are so many redneckish/country women on POF. Most of my worthwhile dates came from OkCupid.

You stay on OKC then and I'll stay on POF, agreed? Agreed. :p

Aw yiss, y'all, in three weeks, I will be 26 and never had a relationship. Woo! Haha.

Jimothy

POF? More like POS. Seriously one of the ugliest websites I've ever seen. Shit's straight out of 2003. OKC is classy as fuck in comparison.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member

Aw yiss, y'all, in three weeks, I will be 26 and never had a relationship. Woo! Haha.
Move nearby to any male Gaffer and that will change. It's easy!
POF? More like POS. Seriously one of the ugliest websites I've ever seen. Shit's straight out of 2003. OKC is classy as fuck in comparison.
It's only marginally better than Reddit to read.

I brought back my account today cause I felt like it I guess, and while I wouldn't call myself a dime (lulz) I do wonder how when you do the "5 star attractiveness" search and 80% of them is not what I would call "5 stars"

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Haha, I'm good on my own :p
Can't handle all that the love, Leeness?

So tomorrow night I'm meeting the girl I was talking about random facts. I think I handled it quite smoothly:

Me said:
France requires radio station to play French music for a certain amount of time each day.

There's also no proof Marie Antoinette said "Let them eat cake".

Your move.
Her said:
The law you refer to in France also applies to television. In movie theaters in France all films must be dubbed in French.

In Sweden, Denmark, and China, by contrast they almost never bother to dub the films, which results in movie theaters playing movies almost exclusively in English.

Though historically there are two major period which are referred to as the first and second French revolutions, in Paris, people continued to form barricades and tried to start revolutions until the 1890s, when the French government commissioned the demolition and complete redrawing of Paris. This created the grand boulevard system seen today. It was designed to be two wide for peasants to be able to form a barricade by simply throwing furniture out of their windows, and be wide enough for the French cavalry to march down.
Me said:
I should have known better than to talk about history to someone who has it as their major. You're good.

We should continue this in person. I'm going to be in [insert location here] tomorrow to bring my friend to [bar] for [social event], the goth night they have twice a month. I usually don't go in because it's not my scene, but I'll be heading in there for a little while to check it out. I'll be in the area from 9-1, so if you want to meet up give me a call at xxx-xxxx.
Soon after she said yes! :D I didn't make any of that stuff up, to be clear.

Necrovex

You could be on both sites like I am! :-D

Don't worry, Leeness, my longest relationship is under a month, and I'm 23. We can chill in this camp together.

Lol, POF has ~given up~ on me. "We have no more matches for you right now, check back later!"

Okay... Haha. Dat's coo' POF.

That happens, think nothing of it as more folks tend to manifest within hours-a day---I don't know if the same thing can happen on OKC's QuickMatch, but I'd imagine it a similar system as both sites are generally drinking from the same well so to speak.

28 and have yet to make it past a (either by the end of it or just afterwards) disastrous first date via either site. Still, they are about the only outlets I have, so best foot forward and all that amidst the various deranged folks looking for decent company.

So uh, out of boredom I created a new OKC profile. Figured I'd give a shot now that I'm back in NYC. Still have a hard time getting over my initial feelings about this online dating stuff but um, I'm going to see if I can make it over a week before deleting my profile this time. Put in some good ole' afford. My profile is a little on the sparse side though... guess I'll work on that.

Jhoan

So uh, out of boredom I created a new OKC profile. Figured I'd give a shot now that I'm back in NYC. Still have a hard time getting over my initial feelings about this online dating stuff but um, I'm going to see if I can make it over a week before deleting my profile this time. Put in some good ole' afford. My profile is a little on the sparse side though... guess I'll work on that.
I hope to see you at a GAF meet up in the future; 'm the frequent host of them. So many Mid West newbies are on the website lately. It's tough but hang in there.

The first moderator duties have been pretty pedestrian. Just voted on whether to delete, keep, or classify extreme close ups of tattoo pics and one of a Ken doll that's under a toy car. Hopefully things will get more interesting. I have yet to see nude pics or rate messages.

Leeness

You could be on both sites like I am! :-D

Don't worry, Leeness, my longest relationship is under a month, and I'm 23. We can chill in this camp together.

I am on both! I just never check OKC because it creeps me out most of the time. Either Nice Guys in Fedoras, or one guy who messaged me like 15 times and like watched all my movements one day. "Looking at my profile huh?", "Guess you didn't like what you saw?", "Why not?", "Hi.", "Hey".

Haha, you'll find someone eventually! I'm cool with chilling out in this camp forever on my own. :)

xist

It's probably related to how terrible these dating sites make you feel, but the knock on effect of this is i'm starting to doubt i look halfway decent....self confidence ebbing away...

Ovid

I brought back my account today cause I felt like it I guess, and while I wouldn't call myself a dime (lulz) I do wonder how when you do the "5 star attractiveness" search and 80% of them is not what I would call "5 stars"
I did this the other day. Alot were attractive but not 5-stars attractive...not even close.

Randomly decided to message a girl to see if I got a reply, I did. I sent her another message but no reply this time. Maybe I should think of questions to ask. Any advice?

Randomly decided to message a girl to see if I got a reply, I did. I sent her another message but no reply this time. Maybe I should think of questions to ask. Any advice?

Just wait on it. If nothing comes of it, move on.

Still going out with the girl I met on OKC in the beginning of May and it's been super awesome. Her parents want to meet me and have invited me to a family BBQ next Monday. This'll be fun. As of now, I'm known by them as the American with the fancy car. xD

stn

@Jipan

Am I able to make a report directly to you? There's this person who messaged me and her account is 100% fake. She's probably a 419 scammer or something.

RC Cola

I think it just goes to a section for the community of mods to judge. Think it is somewhat random what you see.

I'm a mod too (was made one ages ago, don't know why, and I haven't really bothered much with it). Think something will get flagged, and several mods will mark it as acceptable/unacceptable, noting why in the comments. I guess with enough of them, the OKC team will remove the account (or whatever was being reported).

Trying A-list for one month is pretty awesome yet disappointing by looking at who rated me highly haha.
I would do this but I'm rather positive that 25 out of my 35 high ratings are from GAF. I really don't want to see the other 10. I've only received unprovoked messages from 2 girls and I know they both rated me highly. Taking them into consideration, looking at the others that rated me highly would be highly disappointing.

OKC is still giving me quiver matches fairly regularly, but nothing has really caught my interest lately. I think I've sent 2 messages in the past month. I've been sending messages regularly since January. Naturally those 2 contacts never replied. I'm starting to think venturing into the world of online dating has actually taken away some confidence. It's doing a good job of confirming how much of a loser I am, haha. At least I can still laugh about it.

Jhoan

I think it just goes to a section for the community of mods to judge. Think it is somewhat random what you see.

I'm a mod too (was made one ages ago, don't know why, and I haven't really bothered much with it). Think something will get flagged, and several mods will mark it as acceptable/unacceptable, noting why in the comments. I guess with enough of them, the OKC team will remove the account (or whatever was being reported).
This. @stn, you can flag it and it'll randomly end up getting voted to get deleted. The probability that it might be the profile that I vote for is random. It also seems that there's a set amount of things to vote for (yesterday it was about 8 pictures or so) before you get a message saying that you've done your mod duties for the day.

Just wait on it. If nothing comes of it, move on.

Still going out with the girl I met on OKC in the beginning of May and it's been super awesome. Her parents want to meet me and have invited me to a family BBQ next Monday. This'll be fun. As of now, I'm known by them as the American with the fancy car. xD

She replied, so all is good lol. :)

Seems the girl that I've been chatting with for a little while now has grown distant. Now I can't help this feeling of being defeated. I have no other leads. I never had many to begin with, but for a while there I had some stuff going on. I'm down about the whole experience now. Maybe some people are destined to walk the earth in solitude.

At the same time as I have all those feelings going on, I'm hoping I find the will power to put some more energy into this process. I had proven to myself that persistence does pay off. I just didn't find anything lasting. I have to say that it's very disheartening when 95% of the people you message don't respond. Now that I've been through the list of people out there multiple times, I just have to rely on the new people that show up. Eh, who knows.

Sorry for the live journal entry. Just wanted to tell someone.

RC Cola

Chatting with one girl from Europe (think I might have mentioned her earlier).

I keep forgetting to convert my units of measurement. Degrees Fahrenheit mean nothing to her!

Thanks to video game press conferences (Gamescom) and the adjustment to those timezones, I tend to be pretty good about knowing what time it is for her locally though.

I should probably quit assuming Europeans don't know about things like Thanksgiving or Hulk Hogan...

.GqueB.

Banned
Didn't know this thread was here.

Been doing so great on this stupid site. Been having at least 2 dates a week and me and this girl had snapchat sex the other night.

I love snapchat now by the way.

And do people actually use A-list? I always thought that would be a little tough on the ego seeing people reading your messages and not replying. I feel like the less I know the better. I even turn off visitors for this very reason. I live in a bubble until I decide to message someone.

Jimothy

I went on two amazing dates with a girl I met on okcupid. Had sex on the second date. She then sends me a text the morning after saying she still had feelings for an ex and said she didn't want to see me again. The worst part is she messaged me first knowing that she wasn't over him. I was fuming for a while there. Like, why did she even message me? Fuck. It's been 3 days and I still feel like I got punched in the gut. I've been messaging other girls the last couple days and have another date lined up but I'm not feeling enthusiastic at all about it. Dating is fucking brutal and I'm not sure I want to do it anymore.

stn

^ Dude, don't stress so much over it. You got laid. And I assume your emotional connection to her was minor given that you only had two dates?

Jimothy

^ Dude, don't stress so much over it. You got laid. And I assume your emotional connection to her was minor given that you only had two dates?
I mean I guess it was relatively minor, but I felt a connection with her that I didn't feel with previous girls I met through the site. We were a 98% match so our personalities just clicked.

Symphonia

Banned
So, I've very cautiously messaged one of the other girls back - but I still have this nagging feeling at the back of my mind that she too is just one of my 'friends' trying to fuck with my mind. I just don't get it - either way my mind gets fucking played with, regardless of whether it's an actual genuine girl or one of my many friends. I feel like such a fucking twat and just urgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom