• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unicorn

What kind of messages do you send? I'm far from successful myself. I've only been on dates with 2 different girls from OKC and talkin to a 3rd one after being on it for months.

Usually a few sentences. Say hey, then mention or ask a question about something they out on their profile.

"have you heard the new album from so and so? "
" what's your favorite ride at Disneyland? "
" I see you like this show, have you seem this one? "

Jimothy

this was fun to compile. here's a handful of messages that resulted in getting numbers/dates....

Favorite rap album of the year so far? I think mine is Run the Jewels. Yeezus is probably one of the bigger disappointments.

Can you recommend me some good Batman comics?

Yo. You have great taste in movies.

So, private prisons. Great injustice or greatest injustice?

Hey, let's cook.

What about film is better than digital photography?

Yo. How often do you run into famous peeps at auditions? Also my only acting experience was playing Lewis in a Lewis & Clark play in elementary school. I'm kind of a big deal.

I was always incredibly uncomfortable whenever I visited Utah. I could just sense the Mormon-ness everywhere I went. So creepy.

What's your favorite running gag on Arrested Development? I think mine is "her?" or "C'MON!". I can't really decide.

Yo. The linear storyline of the first Godfather is definitely better than the fragmented Part II. I honestly would have preferred them just focusing on Michael for the entire movie because his arc is so good.

Also, you'll have to speak up I'm wearing a towel.

Recommend me a good black and white movie to watch. I'm kind of in the mood.

Everyone should post their collection. :)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I've only gone on two dates. Here were my opening messages:

Me said:
'ello Kelsey. How far are you into season four of Breaking Bad? I loved it and season five is as good if not better!

Any idea what you might be passionate about for a career? Your profile was fun to read. You're a sarcastic person, eh?
Me said:
'ello Anne. So, what's the most useless piece of knowledge you know? I'm not sure what you would qualify as useless. Everything I'm thinking of has some value. For example, the US national motto only became "In God We Trust" in the 1950s. Also, Maine was once a part of Mass.
The second date was both fantastic and weird. We talked about her experience visiting a concentration camp in Poland.

stn

Me: Hey, can you tell me how much a polar bear weighs?
Her: I'm not sure, they're pretty heavy [d'oh]
Me: ...Enough to break the ice????
Her: lol, aren't you funny...
Me: Funny enough to get your name? ;)
Her: *No further reply*

Her: [states in her profile that she hates chocolate. She's also black]
Me: So, how about some vanilla? ;)

Her: *Views my profile too many times, has a pic of her in a bra sucking on her finger*
Me: You look horny in your pic.
Her: *No reply but changes pic, lol!*

Her: *Keeps viewing my profile, obviously wants me to initiate*
Me: Haha, you're shy...
Her: *Stops viewing profile*

I'm too comfortable with myself and know I can easily meet women. So I like to have "fun" with it sometimes and see if some absolute stupidity can get me results. I'll try to remember more but these were some of my more fun moments.

Unicorn

You should like cats. There's some good ones out there. Sometimes.
This is what started the 40 message conversation with a 99% match... that abruptly ended.

Hey there. I really like your picture with wax Hannibal. Also, how different is the book version of Everything is Illuminated from the film. (if you've seen it...)

95% of your fingers?! Anyone who is obsessed with burritos can't be all bad, just gassy - at least for me :(

What did you go to school for? Also, you have small hands.

I take it that you've read Sandman? Hyped that he's revisiting it? I know I am.

I imagine it is pretty difficult to "live" marine life. And I can only imagine how exhausting it can be to "live" to meet people.

I live to live, and even THAT is a challenge sometimes!

The rest are either one reply and then nothing or no reply at all, but they viewed my profile.

Laekon

What do you all think about photos with people's faces blurred out? I just restarted my profile and need some better photos. The best recent photos I have have family in them or a friends baby(which would kill with the ladies). Is it cool to use photos like that? And no they can't be cropped in a good way. Any other suggestions on my profile would be great.

www.okcupid.com/bikebro

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Her: *Views my profile too many times, has a pic of her in a bra sucking on her finger*

Her: *Keeps viewing my profile, obviously wants me to initiate*
Me: Haha, you're shy...
Her: *Stops viewing profile*

I'm too comfortable with myself and know I can easily meet women. So I like to have "fun" with it sometimes and see if some absolute stupidity can get me results. I'll try to remember more but these were some of my more fun moments.

To be fair, only the first one of those 4 was decent. the other 3 were really, really bad.

Jzero

What do you all think about photos with people's faces blurred out? I just restarted my profile and need some better photos. The best recent photos I have have family in them or a friends baby(which would kill with the ladies). Is it cool to use photos like that? And no they can't be cropped in a good way. Any other suggestions on my profile would be great.

www.okcupid.com/bikebro

You forgot the /profile/ part in your link.

You just make it harder for the people genuinely trying to meet others on there.

Unicorn

www.okcupid.com/bikebro

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/bikebro fixed that for ya

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member

These gave me a laugh, cheers for sharing them. I've typically used a similar style when initiating contact on dating sites (with varying degrees of success). I'm not a fan of girls that take themselves too seriously so it at least filters most of those out

Bleepey

I rejoined POF and for the first week it was really good. Now it's back to being less awesome. That said this insanely hot girl messaged me yesterday. I replied back and she has not replied to me. :(

y2dvd

I just messaged a girl asking if she wants to grab a bite on the weekend without asking for number or real name first, how screwed am I?

Not sure. Just seems like a natural progression to me to first get a name and number but maybe you'll get lucky!

Usually a few sentences. Say hey, then mention or ask a question about something they out on their profile.

"have you heard the new album from so and so? "
" what's your favorite ride at Disneyland? "
" I see you like this show, have you seem this one? "

I don't see anything wrong with the questions but maybe the successful gafers can chime in.

this was fun to compile. here's a handful of messages that resulted in getting numbers/dates....
Everyone should post their collection. :)

I will have to steal some of those lol.

While I'm not this comfortable, I'll also send silly pick-up lines to see what results I get. Nothing ever comes out of it to no surprise lol.

My opener for the current one I'm texting went...
Me: People straight up start a message with "Can we meet?"?
Her: I've had a few and worse!
Me: I don't get those right away. :(
Lol what's the worst you've ever gotten?
Her: *she tells me her story and it goes from there.

I didn't realize we went through 95 messages before I got her number but it's whatever. Went by naturally to get to it to me.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Said fuck it and asked her out for coffee. She is a coffee nut and we get along rather nicely. In messaging, anyway. Let us see where this goes after going back and forth on there for almost a week lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
mission_accomplished.jpg

Jhoan

It's nice to see good examples of the types of messages that you all have sent out that have eventually led to dates as well as troll messages. I wish the OP still posted in this thread because the examples would've been great to save/add to the OP. It looks like the majority of the messages been a question on their profile and/or a random comment on a picture.

In other news, it looks like I got 2 new views but no messages despite changing my profile info. I think I might delete a few pictures to see what happens. My profile view total is now at 101 but the majority of the views have come from GAF members/lurkers.

I also have not gotten a reply back from the Japanese-Korean chicks which means I'll forget about it. The majority of my exchanges have fizzled within the first to third reply. But no sweat of my back since I at least get my online conversational skills with women.

Slightly off-topic but it makes me glad that classes start up again next week. I was at my college earlier and I saw so many attractive women that it was like being in heaven; there was a cute Asian chick that asked my friend and I for our opinions on a class to take for a general education requirement. I'm definitely going to turn up my A game this semester for sure. Especially since I'm starting my own club and I'll be helping my friends with their clubs.

It's nice to see good examples of the types of messages that you all have sent out that have eventually led to dates as well as troll messages. I wish the OP still posted in this thread because the examples would've been great to save/add to the OP. It looks like the majority of the messages been a question on their profile and/or a random comment on a picture.

In other news, it looks like I got 2 new views but no messages despite changing my profile info. I think I might delete a few pictures to see what happens. My profile view total is now at 101 but the majority of the views have come from GAF members/lurkers.

I also have not gotten a reply back from the Japanese-Korean chicks which means I'll forget about it. The majority of my exchanges have fizzled within the first to third reply. But no sweat of my back since I at least get my online conversational skills with women.

Slightly off-topic but it makes me glad that classes start up again next week. I was at my college earlier and I saw so many attractive women that it was like being in heaven; there was a cute Asian chick that asked my friend and I for our opinions on a class to take for a general education requirement. I'm definitely going to turn up my A game this semester for sure. Especially since I'm starting my own club and I'll be helping my friends with their clubs.

Where do you see your views? Or do you mean you get 101 views average per month?

Jhoan

Where do you see your views? Or do you mean you get 101 views average per month?
101 total Visitors to my profile via the Visitors tab; the OKC app gives me a milestone update every 25 visitors or so. I dunno if the browser/mobile version does as well. I wish 101 visitors per month would've been the case but alas it is not.

101 total Visitors to my profile via the Visitors tab; the OKC app gives me a milestone update every 25 visitors or so. I dunno if the browser/mobile version does as well. I wish 101 visitors per month would've been the case but alas it is not.

ah, is it an iOS app? because on androidi can't see that. On thesite it only says the average per month which i have at 59 right now, but i started with this exactly abouta month ago so it will probably get lower and lower.

Jhoan

ah, is it an iOS app? because on androidi can't see that. On thesite it only says the average per month which i have at 59 right now, but i started with this exactly abouta month ago so it will probably get lower and lower.
Android version. It's because I turned off the abillity to see who visited my page; I get a count and a prompt to Upgrade to A-List to browse profiles invisibly. It'll show me basic info but the prompt message eclipses 3/4 of my screen.

Alright so earlier I said fuck it but I figured I should get some outside opinions. Yall mind hunting me down and telling me how loser my profile is? :)

username ph33nys (make the two 3s an two Es instead)

RC Cola

I think my visitors number is messed up. I want to say it was around 7-10 a week usually. But it jumped to 28 per week, which doesn't seem right. I do play around enough with my profile to get it spotlighted often I think, but I'm not sure why it got that high recently (think this was before I posted my profile here, so I can't credit/blame GAF for that).

If I'm getting 28 actual visitors a week, there's a lot of people reading but not saying anything. :\

y2dvd

OkCupid keeps recommending me black girls - any way I can turn this off?

*** not a racist ***

Under Filters, there should be an Ethnicity button. Click it and check off what ethnicity you only want to see.

I think my visitors number is messed up. I want to say it was around 7-10 a week usually. But it jumped to 28 per week, which doesn't seem right. I do play around enough with my profile to get it spotlighted often I think, but I'm not sure why it got that high recently (think this was before I posted my profile here, so I can't credit/blame GAF for that).

If I'm getting 28 actual visitors a week, there's a lot of people reading but not saying anything. :

I think someone mentioned earlier if you make any tweaks, it jumps to the front of the Activity page. Probably why you're getting so many visitors.

Achievement Unlocked: first reply

long way to go from here ;_;

GL! I finally spoke to that Irish girl over the phone. After speaking, I think we can get along just fine like we do in text. Meeting in person may be another story though.

I actually got replies from three other girls today. One had colored contacts in her pic and I just asked if she wore those regularly. One had some cosplay pics and I just ask if she was whatever character. The third one was funny. I noticed she visit my profile and didn't say hi (like most girls do -_-). I decided to call this one out and say that's cold blooded! She apologized and asked how I was doing. Imma try that line more often to see if it works consistently lol. All three carried the chat for a bit but its late night so I dunno if they just lost interest or just called it a nite without saying anything. Guess we'll see how it goes tomorrow or something.

RC Cola

I think someone mentioned earlier if you make any tweaks, it jumps to the front of the Activity page. Probably why you're getting so many visitors.
Yeah, I know about that. I might have even posted something similar here. I'm usually updating my profile and answering a few questions every couple of days to take advantage of this. :)

But that isn't really anything new. I usually do that, or I have been doing that since this latest plunge back into OKC. IIRC, I'd get 2-3 visitors a week without it, 7-10 a week with it, and now I somehow have 28 a week.

Maybe I am just being more active, but 28 just seemed high. Or maybe that is just an indicator that if you stay active on the site, you can get a lot of visitors (so you guys can try the same!). Maybe it is averaging visitors over the last 4-5 weeks (and it took a full month of "being active" to get this number).

Not sure how I can get back to a "total visitors" screen. Not that any of this is important, but I was just curious.

On a side-note, I get kind of annoyed by the people who respond to the "most private thing I'm willing to admit" section, yet don't actually admit to anything. "It wouldn't be private then." "Ask me." "No way!" "Maybe after a few dates." Etc. You can just put something silly there that isn't really that private, but something you're comfortable admitting to. Though I guess this isn't as bad as "Self summary: Ask me."

spuckthew

The third one was funny. I noticed she visit my profile and didn't say hi (like most girls do -_-). I decided to call this one out and say that's cold blooded! She apologized and asked how I was doing. Imma try that line more often to see if it works consistently lol.

I do the same sometimes. I've probably got more responses with that hint of cockiness in my initial message than I have with more prudish messages.

So I just check and the website actually counts your average visits per week, which I have at 54, but I never see so many visits per week. Is this counting maybe for visits I receive from A-list members?

paparazzo

*Checks email*

Subject: "You have a new message from"

Oh cool! Maybe it's the chick I messaged earlier or the one from last week. Nope, it's a random unsolicited "hello" from a rather eh looking chick. Oh well, I'm bound to get a reply... eventually.

ameratsu

I have a lousy attitude towards online dating and it becomes obvious once I meet girls in person. I just can't bring myself to put forth the effort into actually caring about the outcome. I just go out to talk, laugh, share stories and keep my expectations extremely low. I expect them to lose interest; maybe that attitude becomes self-fulfilling at some point.

I think I need a healthy dose of meeting girls through other avenues. I agree with the people who've said online dating shouldn't be the only venue for meeting potential partners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom