• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
:/

Why did that send a chill up my spine?

I hope he isn't interested in killing me and wearing my skin to become me.

lol you can't catch a break. If it makes you feel better I have had some pretty creepy stuff happn in the last week.

Jimothy

About Me: Working, going to school. Still trying to figure out what I'm doing with my life. I like to go out as well as enjoy a quite evening at home.

Six things I can't do without: Family, friends, food, Internet, my phone.

On a typical Friday night I am: there is no typical Friday night!

Message me if: you're not looking for a one night stand. if you have something to say besides "hey."

Yeah, not a lot has changed.

This made me laugh so hard. It's so goddamn accurate.

This made me laugh so hard. It's so goddamn accurate.

Yep, Plenty of Fish was exactly the same when I was on it. Its the reason why pictures are so damn important because I (and probably most others) just glaze over all that stuff after a while. Like I said before in this thread, when I posted good pics with very minimal information, that's when girls started initiating contact with me.

Also why don't more people here use POF? I can't stand all the match% bs and all the questions on OKCupid. It just adds a lot of unneccesary fluff imo and really means shit and like I have also said before its almost impossible to get an accurate view of what someone is like online.

$200

Banned
Also why don't more people here use POF? I can't stand all the match% bs and all the questions on OKCupid. It just adds a lot of unneccesary fluff imo and really means shit and like I have also said before its almost impossible to get an accurate view of what someone is like online.

Thanks, just created an account there. The only reason I picked okcupid first was because that's pretty much the only dating site I knew (thanks to this thread)!

I have to say though from what I've seen so far I prefer okcupid over pof.

Thanks, just created an account there. The only reason I picked okcupid first was because that's pretty much the only dating site I knew (thanks to this thread)!

I have to say though from what I've seen so far I prefer okcupid over pof.

No probs.

Yeah its opinion and all, but OKCupid just seems so cluttered to me. POF just seems to have pics and then something brief about the person and what they are looking for. It just seems more simple to me.

Also on POF, unlike OKCupid you don't have to be signed in to search. I hate the idea of everytime I look at a profile, the person gets notified. Just a little thing but I used to search not signed in, then just sign in a message the girls I wanted to (or to check who messaged me)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
OK, so first okc date has been quite a success. Not sure what to do now with the other dates I had lined up...
Congrats! What are you not sure about?

Twice now I've had a notification on the iOS app that a person visited my profile, but doesn't show up on the Vistors tab. Not sure what that's about.

xist

Yeah its opinion and all, but OKCupid just seems so cluttered to me. POF just seems to have pics and then something brief about the person and what they are looking for. It just seems more simple to me.

Also on POF, unlike OKCupid you don't have to be signed in to search. I hate the idea of everytime I look at a profile, the person gets notified. Just a little thing but I used to search not signed in, then just sign in a message the girls I wanted to (or to check who messaged me)

I'm with you on this (plus OKCupid has virtually no-one in my area)...although saying that POF has totally destroyed any self confidence i once had in the course of two weeks.

Congrats! What are you not sure about?

Twice now I've had a notification on the iOS app that a person visited my profile, but doesn't show up on the Vistors tab. Not sure what that's about.

Well, it's just that I am not sure what this girl would think if I keep on talking to or meeting these other girls. I mean, it's just been one nice date so of course there's no compromise between us at all but she said to meet next weekend again and then I am supposed to meet some other girl I'm talking to but I did not dare to tell her this.

I just have never dated several girls at the same time so I'm a bit lost here now on what to do.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member

Well, it's just that I am not sure what this girl would think if I keep on talking to or meeting these other girls. I mean, it's just been one nice date so of course there's no compromise between us at all but she said to meet next weekend again and then I am supposed to meet some other girl I'm talking to but I did not dare to tell her this.

I just have never dated several girls at the same time so I'm a bit lost here now on what to do.
Until you're in a committed relationship there's nothing wrong with dating multiple people. If you're uneasy about mixing information up than just do one at a time. Otherwise, next weekend spend time with the woman that interests you the most and reschedule with the other one unless something changes. That's my advice.

Has anyone else had it where they've signed up to A-list for a month and cancelled it, but they still get the benefits even though the end date on the subscription has passed?

I need to confirm that they have not taken another payment, but I did remove my payment details from the site when I cancelled it.

Ovid

Has anyone else had it where they've signed up to A-list for a month and cancelled it, but they still get the benefits even though the end date on the subscription has passed?

I need to confirm that they have not taken another payment, but I did remove my payment details from the site when I cancelled it.
Well mine expires on Wednesday (I'm not renewing). I can let you know later this week.

No probs.

POF just seems trashy to me. I tried it for a month in January and just couldn't take it anymore.

I just used OKCreeper on my own account and it says i reply often, wtf. I rarely respond to anyone.
I reply often even if I'm not interested (relationship wise).

Honestly, does it really matter?

Yep, Plenty of Fish was exactly the same when I was on it. Its the reason why pictures are so damn important because I (and probably most others) just glaze over all that stuff after a while. Like I said before in this thread, when I posted good pics with very minimal information, that's when girls started initiating contact with me.

I don't put too much stock in the percentages. Sometimes opposites attract. How would you know if all you look at is high percentage matches.

Well mine expires on Wednesday (I'm not renewing). I can let you know later this week.

POF just seems trashy to me. I tried it for a month in January and just couldn't take it anymore.

I reply often even if I'm not interested (relationship wise).

Honestly, does it really matter?

I don't put too much stock in the percentages. Sometimes opposites attract. How would you know if all you look at is high percentage matches.

I also reply to everyone, although if they just write "Hello" I just answer "Hello", of course, not going to waste my time with that.

Today I had a super strange message from a girl without picture. I'm afraid.

PD: Shit, I just wrote this girl I reeeeeeaally like the longest fucking message ever. I hope she does not get freaked out by it. It was a nice one though and hers are also kind of long, it's just that this one was maybe twice as much.

Tsukumo

You should ask Jipan. He is a mod on OKC. He's usually around in this thread, otherwise try and PM him.

You should ask Jipan. He is a mod on OKC. He's usually around in this thread, otherwise try and PM him.

Heh. I'm not complaining about it, mind you.

Also, I got sent another snooty message back from a girl today. I noticed something in her profile and mentioned it to her and got a "Duh! It's *meant* to be ironic" message back. Jeez. OK.

My first message came from someone who is pictureless. Suddenly I feel so shallow because I don't want to reply because unless I get a pic but I don't like using that as my first question lol

Jhoan

I'm in here. I don't think you'll get in trouble for it. Just be sure you're not still subscribing; I think your features will go away eventually.

Far as I know, the only thing that's been get flagged lately is close ups, NTU(not the user) pictures i.e. pictures of pets, memes, artwork, GIS (Google Image Search), etc. Speaking of moderation, it's been pretty lame. I've been voting to delete pictures left and right. Haven't seen any flagged messages or nude pictures. Some of the flagged profile pictures have featured morbidly obese people taking mirror shots of themselves which is depressing.

In other news, I updated my profile info and added a new picture as well as took down some old ones. I still get nothing but views. I'm not gonna bother hitting up girls any more since my exchanges have been short lived and I'm starting a new semester on Wednesday.

Ovid

I'm in here. I don't think you'll get in trouble for it. Just be sure you're not still subscribing; I think your features will go away eventually.

Far as I know, the only thing that's been get flagged lately is close ups, NTU(not the user) pictures i.e. pictures of pets, memes, artwork, GIS (Google Image Search), etc. Speaking of moderation, it's been pretty lame. I've been voting to delete pictures left and right. Haven't seen any flagged messages or nude pictures. Some of the flagged profile pictures have featured morbidly obese people taking mirror shots of themselves which is depressing.

In other news, I updated my profile info and added a new picture as well as took down some old ones. I still get nothing but views. I'm not gonna bother hitting up girls any more since my exchanges have been short lived and I'm starting a new semester on Wednesday.
I don't get it. Don't most guys just get views? I think most women want guys to initiate contact.

Honestly, in my experience, the only type of women that actually seem more inclined to initiate contact are black women. I don't know why that is though. I've only had like three white women ever contact me first.

Leeness

Haha see this is opposite for me. POF I find normal enough, and I get some weird messages and a trashy one once in a while.

OKC, I get the opposite. Almost all weird (Nice Guys in Fedoras) or "lol w shud bng k hit me ^" and so few that are normal (or guys from GAF) that I generally don't even look at OKC anymore because it's so useless to me because almost everyone strikes me as psychotic.

:|

Jhoan

I don't get it. Don't most guys just get views? I think most women want guys to initiate contact.

Honestly, in my experience, the only type of women that actually seem more inclined to initiate contact are black women. I don't know why that is though. I've only had like three white women ever contact me first.
Yeah, they do but I don't care to pursue. I dunno if it's because they're scared of Hispanics or something. I have my Visitors disabled any way so the pictures are blocked out. Most women take the cowardly way out by rating me highly in hoping that I'll message them. I don't message most of them back.

Those are the only types of women I've been hit up by as well. I have no interest in dating black women because I'm not particularly attracted to them. I typically don't respond to their messages when that's the case and delete them. I haven't had women of any other ethnicities hit me up.

Ovid

Yeah, they do but I don't care to pursue. I dunno if it's because they're scared of Hispanics or something. I have my Visitors disabled any way so the pictures are blocked out. Most women take the cowardly way out by rating me highly in hoping that I'll message them. I don't message most of them back.

Those are the only types of women I've been hit up by as well. I have no interest in dating black women because I'm not particularly attracted to them. I typically don't respond to their messages when that's the case and delete them. I haven't had women of any other ethnicities hit me up.

So the only women that message you are Hispanic women?

stn

I don't message women who rate me highly. Most of the time they don't reply, I'm batting 1.0000 in messages received but .000 in messages sent, lol. Its weird, you would think a girl who thinks you're that good looking would reply. But no. Unnecessary complications.

Ovid

Haha see this is opposite for me. POF I find normal enough, and I get some weird messages and a trashy one once in a while.

OKC, I get the opposite. Almost all weird (Nice Guys in Fedoras) or "lol w shud bng k hit me ^" and so few that are normal (or guys from GAF) that I generally don't even look at OKC anymore because it's so useless to me because almost everyone strikes me as psychotic.

Question -- do you message guys?

Leeness

Wish me luck, y'all. I'm gonna contact the guy who stopped talking to me (I know) next time I see him online, just to see if we can start over as friends with less awkward text messages on my part. Haha. He most likely won't reply but whatever. I miss him :/

y2dvd

How different can PoF be?

Nothing exciting on this end for me. I'm to the point of hiding everyone I'm not interested in or who had viewed my profile and not leave a message. One day, I will eventually hide everyone's profile!

Wish me luck, y'all. I'm gonna contact the guy who stopped talking to me (I know) next time I see him online, just to see if we can start over as friends with less awkward text messages on my part. Haha. He most likely won't reply but whatever. I miss him :/

I'd say do it but, in case it does not work out, be sure that there are other guys out there whom given the chance you could also feel the same towards.

Fair enough. Being the other alternate "free" dating site I was just curious why it wasn't as popular here.

Maybe you don't but reading this thread plenty of people do go by the percentages. I agree with you and that's why I like POF better. IMO its all very uneccessary, particularly where on the internet people tend to embellish a little at best or flat out lie at worst.

How different can PoF be?

Nothing exciting on this end for me. I'm to the point of hiding everyone I'm not interested in or who had viewed my profile and not leave a message. One day, I will eventually hide everyone's profile!

Well the end results are the same and it can still be just as frustrating. The biggest difference to me is the simpler profiles, none of the questions and match percentages.

This is what I find really frustrating about OKC. Is it so full of mentalists that normal people don't get a look in?

Leeness

How different can POF be?

I dunno, I seem to have an entirely different experience than all of you lol. Because seriously, outside of GAFfers messaging me, basically ALL messages I get on OKC are crazy. It's really weird. I met one guy off OKC last year, and he was really nice (I still talk to him every once in a while) but outside of him, the site is just creepy for me. :(

This is what I find really frustrating about OKC. Is it so full of mentalists that normal people don't get a look in?

Frankly, I think it's me, and the area I'm in. I kind of think the fact that POF was "conceived" here probably makes it the more popular site that way more people use and OKC is the one where people who are uncomfortable with POF go. Or something.

For me, the two sites are like night and day. It's weird.

I'd say do it but, in case it does not work out, be sure that there are other guys out there whom given the chance you could also feel the same towards.

Oh yeah, I don't really mind if he doesn't reply. If he does, great! We will be friends and chat and go see movies and stuff! If not, whatever, we could have been buds, I think, but if he doesn't want to, that's his decision.
I think it's a stupid decision haha.

~Friendship~

Anyone else run into the problem of having the same people show up again and again in your matches? It's honestly about the same 20 girls every time and a bunch of others that aren't matches for me at all. Kind of sucks, but maybe it's due to where I live and I'm just screwed until I move in a few years. :-/

Symphonia

Banned
Anyone else run into the problem of having the same people show up again and again in your matches? It's honestly about the same 20 girls every time and a bunch of others that aren't matches for me at all.
I have the exact same problem. Thing is with me, whenever I go on OKCupid, I tend to do batch messages. Like I'll message two or three girls at a time. This both works to my advantage but also puts me at a disadvantage, because if they kinda shun me, then I'm still faced with them based on my search criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom