• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrovex

In continuation of updates that no one requested. I spent the whole day cleaning up my place and then we wound up going out to eat anyway. Date went well, she ended up going down on me, so it wasn't all for naught.

I always assumed a woman coming over to your place to cook for you is another way of saying you will get some action that night.

Congrats!

I can't stand the women who talk talk talk, and then randomly disappear.

I mean if you lose interest or something comes up, just tell me.

Don't fall off the face of the Earth.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
In continuation of updates that no one requested. I spent the whole day cleaning up my place and then we wound up going out to eat anyway. Date went well, she ended up going down on me, so it wasn't all for naught.

That's...uh, unique. Can't say I've ever had that happen to me. But it sounds like a good thing!

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
You know what? Fuck online dating. Fuck these flaky shitty-ass people who are fucking afraid of going on dates ON A GODDAMN DATING SITE.

I got a date within a week of signing up on the site, and I've been dating her for about a month now. I felt like a creep messaging all these girls, and some of them are definitely not up to going on a date or whatever if they get a bad vibe. I don't really blame them, a lot of creepy guys message girls asking stupid shit.

Oblivion

So that chick I said I was messaging recently, she sends me a better pic of herself, and goddayum! She seems like a total babe.Wasn't a full body shot, and when I asked her to describe herself, she said "let's just say that sometimes I think I'm part black ;)".

I like the sound of that! :D~~~~

I don't know if I'm being too picky, but it seems the only women who like me are 300lb behemoths.

I'm not in the best shape, but I'm not the sort who looks like they need a scooter to get around.

It's just frustrating as hell.

I try to be realistic in who I message, it just seems women as a whole are beyond super picky.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
And just as I say that I'm gonna deactivate I get a decent convo going for once...

... with someone 9 years older than me cause I've exhausted the local pool that much. Oh well, we'll see.

Oblivion

And just as I say that I'm gonna deactivate I get a decent convo going for once...

... with someone 9 years older than me cause I've exhausted the local pool that much. Oh well, we'll see.

Nothing wrong with cougars, my man. ;)

Raynes

The ugliest of the ugly girls here get enough attention to be awarded "replies very selectively", yet the most handsome guys with great personalities have a lot of "no ones contacted them this week". I'm not being shallow here, I'm just pointing out that this online dating concept is fucking ridiculous and not reflective at all of real life. Go out and do some pickup, I did and the results I get doing that is about ten times more effective than online dating.
What a person chooses to write about themselves and chooses to show on a few pics is not at all reflective of what they're like. I know the aim is to get to know people, but people here particularly girls, will look at that shit for 10 seconds and use it to decide whether or not to reply or contact you. Complete and utter bullshit, the only reason online dating exists and is booming is because there are so many fucked up chicks joining just to recieve an ego boost from the infinite number of men who in real life would be too unconfident to even approach them. Online dating will continue to wreak havoc on society feeding the troll women their ego and serving as de-motivator for men who don't realize online is not reflective of real life.
I challenge you all, stop wasting time on this and actually approach women, it's really life changing and eye-opening to see how things actually are.

That feeling where you find a girl who seems too good to be true, but is too old for you >_<

I found this one girl who seems perfect but is 34 and I'm only 25 >_<

There was once this iMesh thing, it was like spotify with an integrated facebook like network.

Met some chics there, and actually 3 of them are still in my contact list and I keep in touch every once in a while.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So apparently "Timber" is the next hot thing here in Vancouver? Anyone heard of it? The app is basically a "hot or not" kind of thing where you see someone's picture, then swipe right for "hot" and left for "not", and you can only contact people who you've matched with (e.g. he thinks she's hot, she thinks he's hot). Something like that. I don't use it, but my friend showed it to me... Feels very superficial, but then honestly most people only look at OKC/POF for the pictures too, so there's that. Feels more "hookup-y" than anything, though.

So apparently "Timber" is the next hot thing here in Vancouver? Anyone heard of it? The app is basically a "hot or not" kind of thing where you see someone's picture, then swipe right for "hot" and left for "not", and you can only contact people who you've matched with (e.g. he thinks she's hot, she thinks he's hot). Something like that. I don't use it, but my friend showed it to me... Feels very superficial, but then honestly most people only look at OKC/POF for the pictures too, so there's that. Feels more "hookup-y" than anything, though.

So many profiles on Tinder are just girls with pay cams.

jdouglas

The ugliest of the ugly girls here get enough attention to be awarded "replies very selectively", yet the most handsome guys with great personalities have a lot of "no ones contacted them this week". I'm not being shallow here, I'm just pointing out that this online dating concept is fucking ridiculous and not reflective at all of real life. Go out and do some pickup, I did and the results I get doing that is about ten times more effective than online dating.
What a person chooses to write about themselves and chooses to show on a few pics is not at all reflective of what they're like. I know the aim is to get to know people, but people here particularly girls, will look at that shit for 10 seconds and use it to decide whether or not to reply or contact you. Complete and utter bullshit, the only reason online dating exists and is booming is because there are so many fucked up chicks joining just to recieve an ego boost from the infinite number of men who in real life would be too unconfident to even approach them. Online dating will continue to wreak havoc on society feeding the troll women their ego and serving as de-motivator for men who don't realize online is not reflective of real life.
I challenge you all, stop wasting time on this and actually approach women, it's really life changing and eye-opening to see how things actually are.

I feel ya. I work out, am tall, attractive, go to a top ten university, come from a rich family, and get no replies from any girls I message. What am i doing wrong?

Whatever, I'm going on a date later this week anyway (from a chance encounter on an elevator).

So a month after getting dumped by my girlfriend (who I met on okcupid and were together for 6 months), I decided to re-activate my account. I'm not exactly sure I'm ready to date again, but I think I feel like I want someone to talk to.. because lately, I've been pretty lonely. :( Anyway, I renew my account and see my ex has a brand new updated profile and feel like shit again.

Majestad

Banned
So a month after getting dumped by my girlfriend (who I met on okcupid and were together for 6 months), I decided to re-activate my account. I'm not exactly sure I'm ready to date again, but I think I feel like I want someone to talk to.. because lately, I've been pretty lonely. :( Anyway, I renew my account and see my ex has a brand new updated profile and feel like shit again.

Her lost my dude. I'm sure you'll find a better girl sometime soon :)

potam

Banned
I've been tempted to set up a profile, but I can't get over my anxiety.

First, I feel uncomfortable 'advertising' myself. It always seems fake and douchey, but I'm afraid that if I act too humbly, then I'll seem like the most boring person alive.

Second, I guess I still hold onto those early negative views of online dating, in that it is kind of weird and anyone who does it is a loser. I know that it isn't true, and I know online dating is a mainstream concept, but, I'm afraid of someone I know IRL stumbling upon my profile and thinking, "fucking loser...can't even get a date in real life?"

Anyone else overcome these things?

stn

@potam

Throw in some humor and humility when you advertise yourself. But, at the end of the day you shouldn't even care whether some random online person thinks you're boasting too much in your profile. Also, you shouldn't care if one of your friends finds you. For the record, I've found three girls I know on OKC. I always sent a funny message, we had a laugh, and if anything it gave us some new joke material at the next hangout.

In short: who cares.

potam

Banned
@potam

Throw in some humor and humility when you advertise yourself. But, at the end of the day you shouldn't even care whether some random online person thinks you're boasting too much in your profile. Also, you shouldn't care if one of your friends finds you. For the record, I've found three girls I know on OKC. I always sent a funny message, we had a laugh, and if anything it gave us some new joke material at the next hangout.

In short: who cares.

I know I shouldn't, but I do :(

There's also the issue of a lack of recent pictures. I only have maybe a handful of pictures within the past year. Maybe one of those where I actually look decent.

Is it wrong to use older pictures of myself, assuming I don't look dramatically different?

stn

Dude, you're over-thinking wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much. Put up whichever pic you want of you, go open a profile, and stop worrying about what your friends might think. If you want to make a profile, do it; don't deprive yourself just because you think some friends might see your profile.

Also, want to know why a friend might see your profile? Because he/she has one as well.

Sooooooo I met this girl on OKCupid and I felt really good about it. We'd been talking for a month or so and it seemed like she was the perfect girl for me. I ended up crashing at her place this weekend and we had sex for the first time. She wanted to do it with the lights out and I figured whatever makes her comfortable is fine with me. There was just enough ambient light from the tv that I could make it work.

Unfortunately two absolutely horrifying things happened after we finished. 1. I went to pull the condom off and trash it and she screamed "NO DON'T THROW IT AWAY WE SHOULD KEEP IT!!!" I tossed it into the trash. I dunno if she dug it out I hope not. 2. She didn't tell me she was on her period so when I went into the bathroom to pee I saw that there was blood all over my hands and my dick area region. Fucking horrifying.

Between that and some other stuff I really want to break things off. She seems super clingy though and I'm honestly worried about what might happen if I do. I dunno if she might hurt herself or me or what might happen. She seems to have some sort of underlying emotional issues.

Any advice GAF?

Majestad

Banned
Sooooooo I met this girl on OKCupid and I felt really good about it. We'd been talking for a month or so and it seemed like she was the perfect girl for me. I ended up crashing at her place this weekend and we had sex for the first time. She wanted to do it with the lights out and I figured whatever makes her comfortable is fine with me. There was just enough ambient light from the tv that I could make it work.

Unfortunately two absolutely horrifying things happened after we finished. 1. I went to pull the condom off and trash it and she screamed "NO DON'T THROW IT AWAY WE SHOULD KEEP IT!!!" I tossed it into the trash. I dunno if she dug it out I hope not. 2. She didn't tell me she was on her period so when I went into the bathroom to pee I saw that there was blood all over my hands and my dick area region. Fucking horrifying.

Between that and some other stuff I really want to break things off. She seems super clingy though and I'm honestly worried about what might happen if I do. I dunno if she might hurt herself or me or what might happen. She seems to have some sort of underlying emotional issues.

Any advice GAF?

jackie-chan-wtf-face-meme-i9.jpg

Does this girl look promiscuous? If so, then you should get tested for any possible STD's sometime soon.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Any advice GAF?

s7qwMnx.gif

jackie-chan-wtf-face-meme-i9.jpg

Does this girl look promiscuous? If so, then you should get tested for any possible STD's sometime soon.

She said she'd had sex with 3 guys previously. Only within the past year. Before that she was a virgin she said.

She wanted to keep the used condom? Like as a souvenir? Was she gonna frame it or something?

I have no idea lol. I just looked at her and said that was fucking gross and tossed it in the bin and she didn't say anything after I did it.

So I awake today to see 2 girls rated me highly and messaged me.

I message back

Both view the message, and no reply.

Going on 4 hours >_<

Maybe later tonight, but if they don't respond this is just cruel and unusual.

What's the normal part?

Waiting for later tonight? Or not responding?

Sometimes it takes me a while to respond. I like to think about what I'm going to say, plus usually I have other things to be doing - I tend to read the messages on my phone and wait till I'm at my pc at home to reply.

Bleepey

I do much better on POF. I got about 5-6 messages where a girl messaged me first on POF. I think the trick is to have a really funny profile, although I don't have topless pics, if you have the body for it find a way to show it off, probably at a beach where it seems like you aren't trying to hard at online dating, when it comes to messaging girls funnier messages seem to work best. Try to put a joke in there. If a girl works in HR, say something like "I saw you work in HR, are you hiring for the boyfriend position? Sorry for the corny joke but I thought you were cute and I liked that on your profile..." Next,don't let it get to you. Just move on to the next one when sent and ignore her profile unless she replies.

stn

@peteykirch

Don't get too caught up on this, man. You can receive a reply in 5 minutes, 5 hours, or even 5 days. Leave the profile alone, go for a walk, and then come back fresh. Your posts tell me you're wasting too much mental energy on this, and your tone makes me think you're already assuming failure.

Just chill out, relax. Let's say some random girl you've never met suddenly stops replying to you. Big deal. Seriously, its nothing in the grande scheme of things. Some time soon I'll send you a PM with my own experiences, some of them are just ridiculous. Hopefully it'll give you some perspective of what some of us have been through with online dating. You'll see that its very common and you're not the only one (even though it may feel like it at times!). :)

Don't get too caught up on this, man. You can receive a reply in 5 minutes, 5 hours, or even 5 days. Leave the profile alone, go for a walk, and then come back fresh. Your posts tell me you're wasting too much mental energy on this, and your tone makes me think you're already assuming failure.

Just chill out, relax. Let's say some random girl you've never met suddenly stops replying to you. Big deal. Seriously, its nothing in the grande scheme of things. Some time soon I'll send you a PM with my own experiences, some of them are just ridiculous. Hopefully it'll give you some perspective of what some of us have been through with online dating. You'll see that its very common and you're not the only one (even though it may feel like it at times!). :)

I just find it confusing.

Someone contacts you, you respond, and then it's a waiting game.

It's just frustrating to see someone on at 8AM, then 12PM, then 3PM, then 5PM.

I'm the sort who even if I'm busy I'd send out a quick message and then a well thought out one later when I'm free.

Majestad

Banned
Yes. WTF is this shit.

So many conversation that ended because I asked them out.

I don't know what is it, but all these past conversations I've had have ended with the girls asking me out. I just keep a playful, DGAF attitude from the beginning. Once you start appearing desperate or needy, you are pretty much done, unless you are talking to a low value girl.

Proelite

I don't know what is it, but all these past conversations I've had have ended with the girls asking me out. I just keep a playful, DGAF attitude from the beginning. Once you start appearing desperate or needy, you are pretty much done, unless you are talking to a low value girl.

I understand, but I don't have the patience of keeping up a stupid back and forth for a week. I don't think online dating is for me. Envious that it worked out for you.

Majestad

Banned
That message is way too long IMO. It's obvious that you actually cared about reading that girl's profile, and you seemed interested in starting a good conversation, but that's too much effort from your part my dude. If you keep doing this, you'll waste a lot of time.

Send a shorter, more to the point message, and if she responds and seems interested, then you can add the extra details.

Proelite

After two days of chatting with this really cute Russian girl, I asked if she wanted to see Catching Fire since she brought it up that she wanted to see it.

qBjFZv0.png

I moved on. Good choice?

stn

@peteykirch

Dude, wayyyyyyyyyy too much thought put into the message. Also, some of the content can push a girl away. Leave out the stuff about multiple English degrees, some girls may think you're bragging or they may be intimidated and think you're not the kind of person who does dumb fun.

Also, the "I'll cook if you make desert" is also too much. It implies that you want to cook together, which implies she's at your place, which implies...well, you see where I'm going with this. You want to sound as casual and unattached as possible.

Think of a funny joke that's short, send it. Throw in a "I like your profile" with it. That's it.

depths20XX

@peteykirch

Yeah that message is way too long. It also comes off as really dry and like you're listing off your credentials or something.

The format I've been following for a first message is:
-Mention something about their profile
-Ask a question
-Make a joke or something

Should really only be 3-4 sentences.

That seems to work for me anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom