• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manarola

Banned
I've been talking to a girl for a while, told her from the outset that I was interested beyond friends and she acknowledged it. Today she texts me out of the blue with "I won't back away, you're so sweet. I want to know more about you and your past", and a few minutes later "oops sorry, wrong person"

Seems that's my big queue to not pursue. At least we can be friends? I'm going to tell her straight up that it's strictly platonic from now on if she's interested in someone already.

Have you met her?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I've been talking to a girl for a while, told her from the outset that I was interested beyond friends and she acknowledged it. Today she texts me out of the blue with "I won't back away, you're so sweet. I want to know more about you and your past", and a few minutes later "oops sorry, wrong person"

Seems that's my big queue to not pursue. At least we can be friends? I'm going to tell her straight up that it's strictly platonic from now on if she's interested in someone already.

I somewhat refuse to believe that.

Sadetar

I don't know your situation well at all, but to some girls that is also a way to say they are interested. I don't say that was the case in this situation, but it is possible. Especially since you didn't respond right away she might have just "took it back" so she wouldn't feel embarrassed by it later on.

I have once been a teenage girl. That is how they roll.

potam

Banned
Had a rather interesting experience the other night. Met this chick for the first time in person. She came over to my house and we basically immediately started having sex...it was pretty cool I guess.

But now she's starting to send some ultraclinger texts...and now I'm scurred.

And in other news, I've been chatting with this girl on OKC, gave her my number in an attempt to move the conversation off the site, which resulted in nothing. We've still be talking online, but I'm almost positive this will end in a fizzle.

MogCakes

Have you met her?

Nope! Purely back and forth on various methods of interaction IE OKC, skype, texting.

I somewhat refuse to believe that.

I could screenshot if you like :p she said it alright though.

I don't know your situation well at all, but to some girls that is also a way to say they are interested. I don't say that was the case in this situation, but it is possible. Especially since you didn't respond right away she might have just "took it back" so she wouldn't feel embarrassed by it later on.

I have once been a teenage girl. That is how they roll.

Maybe. But she's around my age - early-mid twenties. I dunno. If she's interested in someone else then no harm no foul - we can just be friends. But I want to clear it up.

Maddocks

you shouldn't be her friend. You told her straight up you want more then that, but then you are willing to be her friend? That has problems written all over it. Best to just say,"Thanks but bye"

MogCakes

you shouldn't be her friend. You told her straight up you want more then that, but then you are willing to be her friend? That has problems written all over it. Best to just say,"Thanks but bye"

True, but she's also a nice person who I wouldn't mind being friends with - it just so happens I'm more attracted to her than that.

MogCakes

Had a rather interesting experience the other night. Met this chick for the first time in person. She came over to my house and we basically immediately started having sex...it was pretty cool I guess.

But now she's starting to send some ultraclinger texts...and now I'm scurred.

And in other news, I've been chatting with this girl on OKC, gave her my number in an attempt to move the conversation off the site, which resulted in nothing. We've still be talking online, but I'm almost positive this will end in a fizzle.

Sex tends to get people to have feelings - it's something I've seen happen more than once. Is she being creepy or just clingy? You should tell her what your expectations and outlook is if she's expecting a relationship, difficult and awkward as it may be.

potam

Banned
Sex tends to get people to have feelings - it's something I've seen happen more than once. Is she being creepy or just clingy? You should tell her what your expectations and outlook is if she's expecting a relationship, difficult and awkward as it may be.

Maybe I slightly exaggerated when I said "ultraclinger". Either way it'll be awkward since she's a single mom and apparently I'm the first guy she's "dated" since then. Just don't like making people feel bad.

So I've been talking to this girl and it's been going pretty well, but I'm not really sure how to escalate the conversation. We've chatted a bit about some TV shows and movies, and she's been pretty responsive (all of her replies have been pretty lengthy), but now what? I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to these things. I suppose I should try to get her number or get to know more about who she is, but I don't how to smoothly transition into those types of conversations. Any advice?

Manarola

Banned
So I've been talking to this girl and it's been going pretty well, but I'm not really sure how to escalate the conversation. We've chatted a bit about some TV shows and movies, and she's been pretty responsive (all of her replies have been pretty lengthy), but now what? I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to these things. I suppose I should try to get her number or get to know more about who she is, but I don't how to smoothly transition into those types of conversations. Any advice?

Maybe mention there's a movie you want to see and ask her if she wants to come along?

Broseybrose

Yep, its simple. Tell her you'd like to meet her. Suggest a specific time and place so all she has to do is say yes.

Guys need advice it's dumb but hey I just joined on fri out of curiosity new to the online dating scene so far 30 ppl have seen my profile not bad! So this one girl who we have a lot in common ( profile wise and match% but I don't believe In that) I've been thinking what message to send her I was thinking something like.. " hey what's up?! I was reading your profile and I see we have a lot of things in common especially our passion for criminal justice. I would like to get to know you better of course if you like to and interested. PS no games =]

Too long? I don't want to sound thirsty either which I'm not, I'm just trying to be polite and forthcoming Suggestions okcGaf ?

stn

I was reading your profile and I see we have a lot of things in common especially our passion for criminal justice. I would like to get to know you better of course if you like to and interested. PS no games =]
The second-half I would avoid completely, especially the part about no games. Never a good idea to mention that word in the context of meeting people online. I always just send a funny joke or something really corny. I've gotten enough replies to know that it works. The girls who chose not to reply just weren't interested at all, nothing I could say would change that.

Therefore, just send something corny and witty. Better yet, how about a joke based on criminal justice? Rather than stating you realize her passion for it, show her in the form of something clever. Good luck.

Manarola

Banned
I'm really not. It's possible to be friends with attractive people and not pursue a relationship. I mean whoa - how did you come to that conclusion?

Because you want to befriend someone you found on an online dating site, who has rejected you and you've never met this person.

The second-half I would avoid completely, especially the part about no games. Never a good idea to mention that word in the context of meeting people online. I always just send a funny joke or something really corny. I've gotten enough replies to know that it works. The girls who chose not to reply just weren't interested at all, nothing I could say would change that.

Therefore, just send something corny and witty. Better yet, how about a joke based on criminal justice? Rather than stating you realize her passion for it, show her in the form of something clever. Good luck.

Thanks bro! what would you say for example?

Maddocks

True, but she's also a nice person who I wouldn't mind being friends with - it just so happens I'm more attracted to her than that.

I think the problem will come that once she is a friend, a semi good one. She will tell you about the dating world and guys she likes. Now you might not care at first, but when you think about the people shes dating you might start resenting her for the fact shes telling you about these other guys and that she didn't pick you.

not saying you are the type of person who would do that, but I have seen it enough times to know its a very big possibility. Sometimes guys will stick around a girl because they think eventually she will see what a great guy I am and will finally come around. Its just not worth the time and energy you could be using on someone else. Even when you do find someone else, you might even compare the two and find little flaws in the current girl that you don't care about suddenly becoming an issue. Again not saying you are that type of person, just saying be careful not to become that person. Most unattractive thing you can be is that guy.

MogCakes

I think the problem will come that once she is a friend, a semi good one. She will tell you about the dating world and guys she likes. Now you might not care at first, but when you think about the people shes dating you might start resenting her for the fact shes telling you about these other guys and that she didn't pick you.

not saying you are the type of person who would do that, but I have seen it enough times to know its a very big possibility. Sometimes guys will stick around a girl because they think eventually she will see what a great guy I am and will finally come around. Its just not worth the time and energy you could be using on someone else. Even when you do find someone else, you might even compare the two and find little flaws in the current girl that you don't care about suddenly becoming an issue. Again not saying you are that type of person, just saying be careful not to become that person. Most unattractive thing you can be is that guy.

I'm very keen on the Nice Guy(tm) stereotype, rest assured. I don't see the big deal with just being friends with her - I may be interested but I'm not going to harbor resentment for her not reciprocating. I cleared it up with her at any rate. Onwards and upwards!

Because you want to befriend someone you found on an online dating site, who has rejected you and you've never met this person.

I see OkC as a site to meet people, not just dating. I've met a lot of people who are just looking for new friends, a lot of people who are looking for love, others who are looking for hook-ups - the site's pretty varied man. The way I see it, if it doesn't work out, I've still made a friend. One of my best friends lives in Toronto and we've never met in person - that doesn't make us less of friends.

It's not that you're desperate but it makes it seem that way. You are there to date not to make friendships

Why not both?

kai3345

Banned
had a pizza lunch date with a girl i met on okc today. she was actually way cuter irl than in her pics, which left me pleasantly surprised.

she suggested this supposedly rad donut shop in town that we should go to "next time" which im pretty sure is a good sign.

what's a good amount of time to wait between texting post date?

Manarola

Banned
I see OkC as a site to meet people, not just dating. I've met a lot of people who are just looking for new friends, a lot of people who are looking for love, others who are looking for hook-ups - the site's pretty varied man. The way I see it, if it doesn't work out, I've still made a friend. One of my best friends lives in Toronto and we've never met in person - that doesn't make us less of friends.

Lol, no it isn't. You can keep deluding yourself, but nobody on OKC is there to make friends and platonic relationships. ESPECIALLY not girls. There is still a significant stigma attached to having an online dating profile, and nobody would put one up unless they were actually looking to get dates out of it.

You can of course, do whatever you want and go ahead and hang out with her. Obviously, you wanted input from others. The way it looks to us, befriending someone who's rejected you - and on top of that, this is someone you have never met - reeks of desperation, and just seems downright unnecessary.

Pastry

Banned
had a pizza lunch date with a girl i met on okc today. she was actually way cuter irl than in her pics, which left me pleasantly surprised.

she suggested this supposedly rad donut shop in town that we should go to "next time" which im pretty sure is a good sign.

what's a good amount of time to wait between texting post date?

Just go with what you feel is right, if you two really got along then go right ahead.

Lol, no it isn't. You can keep deluding yourself, but nobody on OKC is there to make friends and platonic relationships. ESPECIALLY not girls. There is still a significant stigma attached to having an online dating profile, and nobody would put one up unless they were actually looking to get dates out of it.

You can of course, do whatever you want and go ahead and hang out with her. Obviously, you wanted input from others. The way it looks to us, befriending someone who's rejected you - and on top of that, this is someone you have never met - reeks of desperation, and just seems downright unnecessary.

Cosby going in preaching my man Denzel gif.

Yep, its simple. Tell her you'd like to meet her. Suggest a specific time and place so all she has to do is say yes.

*gulp* I did it. God, I'm nervous. If she accepts, this'll be my first "date" ever. I hope I don't blow it.

Maybe mention there's a movie you want to see and ask her if she wants to come along?

I ended up not doing this since people always say movies make terrible first dates, but I'll try this for a second date if things go well.

Manarola

Banned
*gulp* I did it. God, I'm nervous. If she accepts, this'll be my first "date" ever. I hope I don't blow it.

I ended up not doing this since people always say movies make terrible first dates, but I'll try this for a second date if things go well.

Movies are fine if you do something else beforehand, like grabbing a quick bite to eat, and if things are going well you can take a walk after the movie

Pastry

Banned

Are you old enough to drink? Take her somewhere casual where y'all can get a drink and something to eat. My go-to place for first dates is an outside bar that has food trucks around it. Just treat it like you're hanging out with a friend, you'll get better withdates as you go.

Also, there's nothing wrong with not kissing on a first date so don't feel pressured to.

Are you old enough to drink? Take her somewhere casual where y'all can get a drink and something to eat. My go-to place for first dates is an outside bar that has food trucks around it. Just treat it like you're hanging out with a friend, you'll get better withdates as you go.

Also, there's nothing wrong with not kissing on a first date so don't feel pressured to.

Nah, I'm a few months shy of 21, unfortunately. Though I suggested coffee and there are restaurants in the area, so it's sort of in the the same ballpark.

Good, because I wouldn't even know how to begin to approach her for that. Lol

Movies are fine if you do something else beforehand

I actually considered that, but I figured it'd be awkward if things aren't going well and then I have to sit next to her in the dark for 2 hours.

Nah, I'm a few months shy of 21, unfortunately. Though I suggested coffee and there are restaurants in the area, so it's sort of in the the same ballpark.

Good, because I wouldn't even know how to begin to approach her for that. Lol

I actually considered that, but I figured it'd be awkward if things aren't going well and then I have to sit next to her in the dark for 2 hours.

You'll be fine champ

MogCakes

This may come as a shock but people do in fact use the site differently and may have different motivations for doing so. A lot of people are just there to screw around with the tests at that. YOU may not be open to anything platonic coming out of online dating, and that's fine. I don't see it the same way. Another girl I hang out with whom I met off the site is using it to meet new people because she has a tight schedule. I think it might behoove you not to paint everyone using it with the same brush. Dating site it may be, but it's still a tool of social networking first and foremost. Obviously the stigma's still there, but it's dwindling.

I did want input yeah, and thank you for providing it. However I am (obviously) not obligated to follow if I don't deem it in good judgment. She didn't reject me, I decided to stop pursuing in light of that event and have now told her so, to which she agreed.

I find it a bit alarming that you immediately jumped to the conclusion of desperation, and more so that you're essentially painting me as some deluded m'lady desperate fool. Do you have some beef with me? I'm trying my best to be light hearted but you're pushing it.

Manarola

Banned
This may come as a shock but people do in fact use the site differently and may have different motivations for doing so. A lot of people are just there to screw around with the tests at that. YOU may not be open to anything platonic coming out of online dating, and that's fine. I don't see it the same way. Another girl I hang out with whom I met off the site is using it to meet new people because she has a tight schedule. I think it might behoove you not to paint everyone using it with the same brush. Dating site it may be, but it's still a tool of social networking first and foremost. Obviously the stigma's still there, but it's dwindling.

I did want input yeah, and thank you for providing it. However I am (obviously) not obligated to follow if I don't deem it in good judgment. She didn't reject me, I decided to stop pursuing in light of that event and have now told her so, to which she agreed.

I find it a bit alarming that you immediately jumped to the conclusion of desperation, and more so that you're essentially painting me as some deluded m'lady desperate fool. Do you have some beef with me? I'm trying my best to be light hearted but you're pushing it.

There are lots of websites for platonic relationships. Using okcupid is telling. LOL @ the thought of a girl using Okcupid to meet friends, when 90% of the guys there are looking for sex, and the girl's going to get bombarded with a plethora of pervy messages. Yeah, that's just an awesome way to find a platonic male partner.

People (usually girls) will often refuse to admit that they are using OKC for dating. I've met many girls off OKC who insisted that they were just looking for friends. But it was BS. Its fine, it's a natural defense. No one wants to advertise they are single and looking. This goes for guys too, by the way. Guys are on there to get laid because, well, guys are always looking to get laid. I do think some girls are on there just for attention, but if they are single, at the end of the day, they are going to be open to meeting people that catch their eye.

Anyways, you came on here for input and I told you what I thought. You can take it or leave it. No need to get defensive. That's why the first question I asked was whether you had met her or not. If you had already met her and hung out with her, then it'd be more defensible (though still a bad idea IMO). This isn't just directed at you, since it seems like its a moot point in your case anyway, but at anyone else who might be thinking along similar lines.

Are you serious beef? Lol the guy just gave you his input it probably came off wrong but you did ask for it. So let's keep it civil, if that's how you feel fine but don't come instigating he wants beef. This is expressed in a chill demeanor

MogCakes

There are lots of websites for platonic relationships. Using okcupid is telling. LOL @ the thought of a girl using Okcupid to meet friends, when 90% of the guys there are looking for sex, and the girl's going to get bombarded with a plethora of pervy messages. Yeah, that's just an awesome way to find a platonic male partner.

People (usually girls) will often refuse to admit that they are using OKC for dating. I've met countless girls off OKC who insisted that they were just looking for friends. But it was BS. Its fine, it's a natural defense. No one wants to advertise they are single and looking. This goes for guys too, by the way. Guys are on there to get laid because, well, guys are always looking to get laid. I do think some girls are on there just for attention, but if they are single, at the end of the day, they are going to be open to meeting people that catch their eye.

You came on here for input and I told you what I thought. You can take it or leave it. No need to get defensive. That's why the first question I asked was whether you had met her or not. If you had already met her and hung out with her, then it'd be more defensible (though still a bad idea IMO). This isn't just directed at you, since it seems like its a moot point in your case anyway, but at anyone else who might be thinking along similar lines.

Of course there are people who lie about looking for friendship, many do. Most of the time it means they're just not interested in a relationship with -you-. Regardless, I don't see why you can't use online dating for both finding a relationship or a hook up and also meeting people who you could be friends with. They're not mutually exclusive. People tend to have a type, and anyone who doesn't fit that type usually becomes a potential friend rather than a potential mate. I see no reason to cut contact with someone simply because a romantic relationship wouldn't work out. Will we become buddy buddy and close? Doubtful. But if contact stops it's going to be because we simply fail to keep up, and not because I chopped it in half after realizing I won't get sex or a relationship out of it. I generally agree that continuing to be friends with someone you have feelings for is ill-advised, but I'm not quite that attached to her.

Maybe my post painted my situation as me being heart-broken or something. It's a bummer that she's not into me, but whatever, she's still fun to talk to.

Maddocks

Of course there are people who lie about looking for friendship, many do. Most of the time it means they're just not interested in a relationship with -you-. Regardless, I don't see why you can't use online dating for both finding a relationship or a hook up and also meeting people who you could be friends with. They're not mutually exclusive. People tend to have a type, and anyone who doesn't fit that type usually becomes a potential friend rather than a potential mate. I see no reason to cut contact with someone simply because a romantic relationship wouldn't work out. Will we become buddy buddy and close? Doubtful. But if contact stops it's going to be because we simply fail to keep up, and not because I chopped it in half after realizing I won't get sex or a relationship out of it. I generally agree that continuing to be friends with someone you have feelings for is ill-advised, but I'm not quite that attached to her.

Maybe my post painted my situation as me being heart-broken or something. It's a bummer that she's not into me, but whatever, she's still fun to talk to.

you might be one of the few people who are actually genuine on dating sites, you want connection with people doesn't matter if you don't get sex from it, you just like the companionship. I think that should be looked apon as something good, not something that is scorned or belittled. More respect to you. You know what you want and don't hold it against people if they don't get it. Shes a fool to not see the good in you.

gosox333

This is fun. I drunkenly made one last night, and playing the rating game has been a blast. It's uplifting to see some of these girls positively rate me.

Too bad I need to relocate for the summer, so most of this is pointless for now. But I'll get fully into it when next semester starts.

My first guess would be transsexual.

I already sent a message and i'm like..
OHHH.gif

What has been sent, cannot be unsent. But its cool.

stn

I might be wrong, its just one of the things I consider when replying to messages (I've been messaged by my share of transsexuals before, based on pics alone it would be hard to tell in some cases).

beanman25

Did you get laid?

Nope, but I wasn't expecting that. Hell, I've never had sex in my life!

It was a pleasant experience. Had some nice conversation for about 4 hours, and said we'll meet again soon.

At the very least, I'm happy to have finally met someone from here after having had an account for 2 years. I wasn't very nervous or anything either, so that felt awesome.

as somebody who's been talking to a lot of girls in the galleria area on okc i'm skurred i now

I'm talking to a semi fat chick she's cute tho let's see how it goes..lol other than that I matched up with this girl no response yet, I've hit up some girls nothing so far.. I opened my account on fri 42 views so far kind of decent. Sucks I can't view who rated me Fuck paying for that ;P

potam

Banned
I'm talking to a semi fat chick she's cute tho let's see how it goes..lol other than that I matched up with this girl no response yet, I've hit up some girls nothing so far.. I opened my account on fri 42 views so far kind of decent. Sucks I can't view who rated me Fuck paying for that ;P

protip: the mobile app will pop up the last person to visit you/like you. It's not the most useful workaround, but it's better than nothing.

So right now I'm trying to chat up some chick who turned down my dinner offer, because she said she's kind of seeing someone, although they haven't made anything official. She's still been chatty, so hopefully she'll drop that zero and get with this hero.

protip: the mobile app will pop up the last person to visit you/like you. It's not the most useful workaround, but it's better than nothing.

So right now I'm trying to chat up some chick who turned down my dinner offer, because she said she's kind of seeing someone, although they haven't made anything official. She's still been chatty, so hopefully she'll drop that zero and get with this hero.

That rhymed bro kudos

120v

so this is weird.... there was this one girl i was talking to. she initiated the conversation and I sent her an innocuous reply. suddenly she won't appear on my match results, and it was obvious because i frequently search by match percentages and she's always at the very top.

i read on the site that you can hide certain users from appearing in your search, and the results appear reciprocally for them. so it's obvious that's what this girl did

EDIT: <snip> see my below post

Nelo Ice

Banned
so this is weird.... there was this one girl i was talking to. she initiated the conversation and I sent her an innocuous reply. suddenly she won't appear on my match results and it was obvious because i search by match percentages and she was always at the very top.

i read that you can hide certain users from appearing in your search, and its reciprocal. so it's obvious that's what this girl did, i guess.

but is this a common practice? I guess i should just take it that she wasn't interested or whatever but i just find that odd since she contacted me first and i just replied with something along the lines of "how long since you moved into town?" ... i kind of have a slimmer of hope she did that simply because i was in her contacts and i wasn't being "weeded out". i know there's no way to tell for sure, but i was just wondering if this was normal.

bleh why can't i just have a normal interaction on this site
I know how you feel. Even if I have a good conversation I get radio silence and nothing. Online dating really is volatile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom