• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever you see someone who's attractive and has a few things in common with you, then send them a message and just assume they won't reply back. It's safer that way. Women have their pick of the litter when it comes to dating sites and unless you're a complete stud (or insanely funny), you get used to being ignored. That's not just OKC, that's every dating site out there man.
That's my life actually. It's just rare that I find someone that does actually have some common interests and I don't think I've ever hit a message out of the park like I thought I did here. Oh well... It would be nice to start dating before I turn 26. Every year that number goes up and I get that much sadder.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Well, I'm not too lucky. Was married. Wife left me. This is a bit of karmic balance in my life (finally). I tried OKC for about a year with no luck at all. I sent messages to all the pretty girls, got nothing in reply. But the ugly girls? They seemed to love me. Plenty of messages from those. Finally, out of the blue, my GF messaged me, wanting to talk about Quantum Physics. I was her highest match percentage within a hundred miles. She lives a couple hours away, so I wasn't even getting her in my local matches. Was wary about traveling to meet someone, but I took a chance. Here we are, three months in. Success story, I guess. So maybe 1) stick to it and 2) widen your search/be open to driving somewhere for a first date? Best of luck, mate.

I'm 30, BTW, a professor in a college town. I know EXACTLY what you mean about hanging out at the college bars.

Well glad to hear you're back in the game then!

I'll have to keep at it. Most of my college buddies are across the country now and my best friend still lives in town but is married and they don't like bars a whole lot. Thus I kind of get stuck in this rut of a schedule week in and week out. I don't get enough social interaction, thus I don't meet new women. When I do meet a new woman she usually just isn't interested. It's like a damn cycle. I've been single since the summer following high school.

That's my life actually. It's just rare that I find someone that does actually have some common interests and I don't think I've ever hit a message out of the park like I thought I did here. Oh well... It would be nice to start dating before I turn 26. Every year that number goes up and I get that much sadder.

Right there with you man. As mentioned I've been single for 8 years now with only a few women here and there through college. Been completely stale for 4 years now though. Just seems like no women are interested in me at all. I just keep at it though, hoping one will click eventually.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Having good luck. One awkward date, a few good dates (one person), a few irons in the fire. I could go into more detail, but it's little too exposed here for my liking.

Right there with you man. As mentioned I've been single for 8 years now with only a few women here and there through college. Been completely stale for 4 years now though. Just seems like no women are interested in me at all. I just keep at it though, hoping one will click eventually.

Similar situations, I've gone out on many dates during my past year in college. I cannot recall but one woman who I felt compelled to remain in contact with after the initial date.

Though, this is changing at the moment with one particular woman. I'll see how that turns out. I wish you luck in your endeavors to find someone, Cyclone!

Centurion

Banned
So I created a POF account, and ran a little test...

Posted a douchebag photo of just my body.

my headline was: Fat girls need to stop putting "average weight"

had this bio:

PVnD6.jpg

I've gotten 5+ responses without even having to send any messages... SMH lol

All in one day.

had this bio:

PVnD6.jpg

All in one day.

Good responses or bad responses?

Slavik81

I put "rapist wit" in one of my bio's lines and get messages from girls asking why i had labelled myself as a rapist on a dating site

Urban Dictionary on "rapist wit" said:
The wit of someone who wears an orange tuxedo, drives 2 thousand miles for a girl they hardly know and is willing to trade a 1988 Chevy Econoline van for a mini-bike using the milage as a good bargaining point.
I see...

had this bio:

PVnD6.jpg

All in one day.

That's awesome.

If I ever make a profile, I'm so using that.

bjb

Banned
Coworker showed me his Okcupid account earlier. Holy hell, there's a ton of ugly girls on there. I mean, maybe its just our area, but I sincerely felt bad for a lot of them.

Furthermore,it seemed like every girl who was bisexual had some major piercings, or was covered in tattoo's.

Also he's not a bad looking dude at all, but says he rarely receives responses from any hot girls. I'm just going to assume they're bombarded with messages? Probably really stupid ones too.

Bleepey

had this bio:

PVnD6.jpg

All in one day.
Women are women. They say shit like they don't like a guy who takes their shrit off, but OKCupid i think did a study where it was the exact opposite.

TimeKillr

had this bio:

PVnD6.jpg

All in one day.

See, this might be dumb, but this is *exactly* the type of shit that will get you laid. The chances you'll end up in a "dating" type of relationship are pretty low, but if you just wanna get laid, you'll get laid, because there are a *lot* of stupid girls who think this type of shit is "funny and dangerous". Your profile isn't funny, it's absolutely idiotic, yet these morons fall for it hook, line and sinker, for no good reason.

You basically took a line out of The Game and made it your profile - cocky and funny, and it works, strangely enough. :)

Bleepey

See, this might be dumb, but this is *exactly* the type of shit that will get you laid. The chances you'll end up in a "dating" type of relationship are pretty low, but if you just wanna get laid, you'll get laid, because there are a *lot* of stupid girls who think this type of shit is "funny and dangerous". Your profile isn't funny, it's absolutely idiotic, yet these morons fall for it hook, line and sinker, for no good reason.

You basically took a line out of The Game and made it your profile - cocky and funny, and it works, strangely enough. :)

Hmm, i am not sure if it's worth trying this. I might miss out on a good girl.

TimeKillr

Well, it all depends on what you want.

Hell, you *might* hook up with a girl and end up in a relationship, but at the very least you'll have WAY more chances to hook up.

On the downside, the chances of you meeting crazy girls is greatly multiplied.

I think you can report an account if it looks fake/non-serious.

And yes, putting up a douchey profile will attract girls, but probably not the kind of girls you want.

sphinx

the piano man
trying to understand this site...

is it normal that I click liked 30 profiles yesterday and nobody showed interest by clicking my profile in return?

I mean, not even a tiny bit curious about who clicked your profile?

EDIT: and yeah, I have a pic

Centurion

Banned
Doh. Posting pics that don't show "your face" can also get your profile removed.

not on POF (okcupid is like that though), it was just some butthurt women reporting my account lol.

trying to understand this site...

is it normal that I click liked 30 profiles yesterday and nobody showed interest by clicking my profile in return?

I mean, not even a tiny bit curious about who clicked your profile?

EDIT: and yeah, I have a pic

you gotta remember, they receive far more messages than men do. Even replying to those would take ages. Now imagine if they also replied to every guy who took no effort what so ever to click a like button.

You'd have better chance just responding with a "hey", or "your cute". And even those won't get you responses.

You gotta stick out. Say something funny, relate to her bio in some way (it can be fucking hard with a lot of them lol). Don't say you think she's sexy, or any of that crap. Save that for after a few back and forth messages. Just try and start a regular convo.

ianp622

Yeah, if you want someone that really clicks with you, be honest. You won't get a ton of responses, but you'll get good ones. I've received a couple of messages saying "You have the most interesting profile I've read" or "Why do you write so eloquently?" or "You used lugubrious in your profile, and that's my favorite word!"

But I did throw in a line at the end, 'You should message me if you're interesting and you know it. No "I'm just a country girl that loves to laugh and have a good time" bullshit. Ugh.'

A little bit of an edge never hurts, and it helps to stand out in some way.

sphinx

the piano man
you gotta remember, they receive far more messages than men do. Even replying to those would take ages. Now imagine if they also replied to every guy who took no effort what so ever to click a like button.

You'd have better chance just responding with a "hey", or "your cute". And even those won't get you responses.

You gotta stick out. Say something funny, relate to her bio in some way (it can be fucking hard with a lot of them lol). Don't say you think she's sexy, or any of that crap. Save that for after a few back and forth messages. Just try and start a regular convo.

damn.. the standards in OkCupid are way higher than in any other site I have had a profile on.

There a replenty of beautiful men and women, with awesome pictures, gorgeous bodies, in the other site here in Germany I had plenty of requests, in OkCupid nobody gives a damn :( it hurts my self-esteem.

I met my girlfriend on a similar site called plenty of fish sure there are alot of overweight and girls with kids. But I got lucky with one that has neither problem and have been happily with her for almost two years now

Darklord

Banned
So I was curious how many messages girls really get on POF because I was getting NO replies. I mean, on Okcupid I was getting some replies, even a couple of dates. But POF? Not a single reply. Also, to see if there were any funny messages just for shits and giggles.

This is after only 12 hours.

y5vr5.jpg

Holy shit.

Edit: And every single one is terrible. "hey babe hows u? ur hot lol:)"

So I was curious how many messages girls really get on POF because I was getting NO replies. I mean, on Okcupid I was getting some replies, even a couple of dates. But POF? Not a single reply. Also, to see if there were any funny messages just for shits and giggles.

This is after only 12 hours.

y5vr5.jpg

Holy shit.

Edit: And every single one is terrible. "hey babe hows u? ur hot lol:)"
This is why people shouldn't take it personally every time they get ignored. Also why you shouldn't focus on one woman and write a detailed, thoughtful message. Just tell a joke and grab her attention.

That approach only works if you're good-looking, though.

Jim Belushi with that attitude/approach = slob/creeper

Brad Pitt with that attitude/approach = sexy

So you really can't say that's the magic bean.

TxdoHawk

Switched around my profile pitch to the smart-ass approach for kicks. Personally, if someone told me 80% of women never even scroll past the photos, I'd believe it.

Shouta

Switched around my profile pitch to the smart-ass approach for kicks. Personally, if someone told me 80% of women never even scroll past the photos, I'd believe it.

Funny, I just did the same myself. I decided to adjust my profile to be a little more aggressive than I like to be but meh, it's online dating so. Doubt it'll do anything but hey, why not?

Slycoopr

So I chatted back and forth with this chick sparingly over a span of a month, only for it to end with me asking for a alternate way of speaking to her and her telling me that she has an email address (why would I want to talk to you over email?). Over a month later, after I had figured she wasn't interested, and pretty much forgot about her, she sends me a message. I send a quick reply and wait for her response. Two weeks later she responds.

I don't understand this chick. She's nice, but doesn't at all seem interested in me when i'm chatting with her and trying to get to know her better. Why bother talking to me anymore if you made yourself pretty clear last time?

I don't know if I should bother.

Ferrio

Banned
So I chatted back and forth with this chick sparingly over a span of a month, only for it to end with me asking for a alternate way of speaking to her and her telling me that she has an email address (why would I want to talk to you over email?). Over a month later, after I had figured she wasn't interested, and pretty much forgot about her, she sends me a message. I send a quick reply and wait for her response. Two weeks later she responds.

I don't understand this chick. She's nice, but doesn't at all seem interested in me when i'm chatting with her and trying to get to know her better. Why bother talking to me anymore if you made yourself pretty clear last time?

Thinking about addressing this in my response.

Because she's bored and she knows you'll give her attention. Don't do it. Also talking for a month? Jesus. Ask a girl out within 3 exchanges (long as they're not just 3 words).

Slycoopr

Because she's bored and she knows you'll give her attention. Don't do it. Also talking for a month? Jesus. Ask a girl out within 3 exchanges (long as they're not just 3 words).

It would take her weeks to respond. It was pretty clear from the start, really.

As much as this will seem like a stealth brag, I promise that is not my intention.

I got this email yesterday from OkCupid

ji81I.png

A couple of things... First off, is this something that quite a lot of people get and it's just OkCupids lame attempt at getting you more interested in their site?

Second thing; it mentions "You'll see more attractive people in your match results"... This is a lie as far as I can tell. I am seeing all of the same people in my match results as far as I can tell.

As much as this will seem like a stealth brag, I promise that is not my intention.

I got this email yesterday from OkCupid

ji81I.png

A couple of things... First off, is this something that quite a lot of people get and it's just OkCupids lame attempt at getting you more interested in their site?

Second thing; it mentions "You'll see more attractive people in your match results"... This is a lie as far as I can tell. I am seeing all of the same people in my match results as far as I can tell.

A. Reports vary and I don't think they've explained the algorithm, but no it does not go out to everyone on the site

B. It works better if you're in a larger city with more people in your desired range. Also, it won't "block" you from seeing ugly people or vice versa but it will take the appraisal of your looks into consideration alongside your survey answers

HeySeuss

I got one of those emails about 2 weeks after signing up. It didn't really seem to change anything so I figured it was a marketing thing to keep you coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom