• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dralla

what's the protocol on messaging someone a second time if they didn't respond the first? this shit is driving me crazy for some reason, ughhh.

all in all I've had good luck [to a certain extent] on this site, met 2 people in person and both went well. but man oh man, I'd really like it if this one would answer
LLShC.gif
What sucks about meeting people online is the lack of feedback, I feel like meeting in person is more my thing, but I'll continue to mess with this for a little while longer.

Bah, got stood up cold last weekend---extra sting in the form of she had been one to actually take some initiative for a change in terms of what to do, where to go, and so forth. Too many doormat/princess folks so I was diggin' the change of pace, ultra-shortlived as it turned out to be.

Didn't let it disrupt my day though, still had me a badass chocolate brownie with vanilla ice cream!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Y'know has anyone ever found themselves interested in a girl IRL, but later found out she has a profile on OKC, would it be inadvisable / awkward to make a OKC account just to message her? kind of leaning towards that, but I'm not completely sure.

She already knows my face and name btw, which adds to the awkwardness.;p

X-Frame

Bah, got stood up cold last weekend---extra sting in the form of she had been one to actually take some initiative for a change in terms of what to do, where to go, and so forth. Too many doormat/princess folks so I was diggin' the change of pace, ultra-shortlived as it turned out to be.

Didn't let it disrupt my day though, still had me a badass chocolate brownie with vanilla ice cream!

Will you message her again to ask her what happened or just move on completely?

Bleepey

Give it a week, try again, if she still ignores you move on.

LProtag

Just started using this site after being single for a month. I put a photo up and sent a message.

I doubt I'll ever use it much.

Zomba13

Y'know has anyone ever found themselves interested in a girl IRL, but later found out she has a profile on OKC, would it be inadvisable / awkward to make a OKC account just to message her? kind of leaning towards that, but I'm not completely sure.

She already knows my face and name btw, which adds to the awkwardness.;p

Why not just ask her out in person? If you already know the girl then I think it'd come off as kinda creepy/weird to make a profile on a dating site just to message her.

Will you message her again to ask her what happened or just move on completely?

Nah, no sense in lingering or pining for anybody that pulls such a shit move and knows full well how to contact you, let alone a week, rendered moot even as it was also the case that she apparently deleted her profile within a day or so, I think, of pulling the stunt----the old "picture in inbox log suddenly a bathroom designation headshot" sign when checking for messages from others since.

One of the stranger/more annoyiing runs of it I've had on here for sure, but all that means is I'm back to looking further as I do as opposed to looking further as I do simultaneously.

GG-Duo

I'm not currently looking to date, but I started using this to meet girls from other geographies and it's pretty fun.

It's only when they're really cute and you want to try harder that it doesn't work. One asked for my Skype account and then didn't go further. Boo.

LProtag

Most interesting people on here are around an hour away. My last relationship ended because the distance was too big of an issue and we were getting too busy... ugh.

Xun

I noticed I got a message from a girl saying "Curls get girls x", and she's cute herself.

I just can't be bothered to message back, since I know I'll be wasting time.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Why not just ask her out in person? If you already know the girl then I think it'd come off as kinda creepy/weird to make a profile on a dating site just to message her.
The problem with that is ehh.. I only see her when she's working.>_> (note: she is not a co-worker of mine) and there's always people around at the place she works, not that I would even attempt to ask her out during work.. but still.;p

The recent downside I have seen using online dating is the distance. During the semester, I'll be swamped with work, and the people who I seem to be interested in is sixty miles away. Way too far for me. At least when the school semester begin, I'll be too busy to pay attention to women!

LProtag

I'm also noticing that I'll read someone's profile and then at the end they'll mention they're looking for a tall dude.

I wouldn't feel so put off if I was of average height, but I'm fucking short. I don't even bother responding because it just seems like I'll be a disappointment, haha.

Argyle

I'm also noticing that I'll read someone's profile and then at the end they'll mention they're looking for a tall dude.

I wouldn't feel so put off if I was of average height, but I'm fucking short. I don't even bother responding because it just seems like I'll be a disappointment, haha.

I bet you'll do better if you let her disqualify you instead of doing it yourself.

For what its worth my gf from OKC said she strongly prefers white guys and that didnt stop me from pounding that preference to dust with my manrod.

hoos30

what's the protocol on messaging someone a second time if they didn't respond the first? this shit is driving me crazy for some reason, ughhh.

all in all I've had good luck [to a certain extent] on this site, met 2 people in person and both went well. but man oh man, I'd really like it if this one would answer
LLShC.gif
What sucks about meeting people online is the lack of feedback, I feel like meeting in person is more my thing, but I'll continue to mess with this for a little while longer.
Don't do it, period. Move on.

hoos30

The problem with that is ehh.. I only see her when she's working.>_> (note: she is not a co-worker of mine) and there's always people around at the place she works, not that I would even attempt to ask her out during work.. but still.;p

Tell the truth, this girl works in a strip club :p

Amory

I had my first OKC date a couple nights ago and it went remarkably well. Pretty girl, good conversation, definitely a little awkward initially but after that it was fun. I even got a kiss at the end, which I'm normally way too much of a wimp to go for.

Plus she texted me the next day to say how good a time she had and to set up another date, so I didn't have to play the "when to call" game.

Docpan

Getting blitzed as fuck and sending chauvinistic/pigheaded messages to every semi-decent looking girl I can find on here is awesome as hell.

It's so funny, they all say they love to travel, and only want to hear from nice guys, etc. But when I tried to ham it up and be the gentleman, I didn't get shit. Now I straight up blast them and criticize them for stupid shit or poke fun at their pictures, and they actually respond. I've gotten several dates and they've never been awkward (for me), because I show up drunk as a skunk and don't give a shit. I've been walked out on, but have also gotten laid. Twice. With fucking strangers.

This is my favorite website on the internet.

Prologue

No reason to feel like you're a disappointment, their lost. Have to change that mentality. My height is fine but whenever I see that end comment, I just exit out. Its like mentioning "DD cups" at the end of my profile. Obviously it would be nice but let me worry about character first. Everything else is just a bonus.

Its like mentioning "DD cups" at the end of my profile.
While I agree with the basic sentiment of your post. The quote above is not really akin to a preference of height. Now if she infers she was all about size and says her lower limit of acceptance is an 8-10 inch schlong, then yeah, I'd agree with you on that too because it's referring to a sexualised body part, but it's not. She could be above average height for a girl and would feel a little awkward with a particularly short guy. Aside from a minority of cases, it's unfortunate that societal norms make it all about how the girl has to be shorter than the guy. I don't necessarily agree with it, but that's the way it is.

LProtag

Eh, I sent someone a message anyway despite that. I'm still taller than them, but still.

This site is pretty massively awkward in general.

Most interesting people on here are around an hour away. My last relationship ended because the distance was too big of an issue and we were getting too busy... ugh.

I feel your pain. There seem to be some interesting girls, but I'm not driving an hour and a half to two hours every time I want to see a person. I don't even bother. Perpetual singledom is just something I'll have to deal with.

LProtag

Now I'm hitting this thing where there are a few interesting people I've messaged and I'm getting my hopes up about them even messaging me back.

I'll just assume most girls get massive amounts of messages and it takes a while to sift through them... haha.

This site is bad for me.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Now I'm hitting this thing where there are a few interesting people I've messaged and I'm getting my hopes up about them even messaging me back.

I'll just assume most girls get massive amounts of messages and it takes a while to sift through them... haha.

This site is bad for me.
Girls are flaky as fuck on this stuff. Messaged a girl 2 days ago, was a good message. She replied and seemed to be into me and liked my message. I replied and havent received one in a day. Hopefully she is just working or more likely on dates with other dudes. Girls have it so damn easy on these sites its not even worth it. They get into the habit of cherry picking and you have to end up trying to top everyone else to stand a chance.

Girls are flaky as fuck on this stuff. Messaged a girl 2 days ago, was a good message. She replied and seemed to be into me and liked my message. I replied and havent received one in a day. Hopefully she is just working or more likely on dates with other dudes. Girls have it so damn easy on these sites its not even worth it. They get into the habit of cherry picking and you have to end up trying to top everyone else to stand a chance.

It's not as easy as you think.

Much easier than use men.

My problem is I like white girls a lot, and on the site I think a large amount aren't up for any black guys. I guess the whole fact they have a site of choice doesn't help, and I have been successful on the site, but just not as much as I've wanted to be

UFRA

You can't be worried after not receiving a reply after just 1 day dude. Online dating will be a huge headache for you if you expect fast replies. Sometimes I'm so busy with work I don't check my profile til the end of the week. Other people are like this too.

I spent a little over a year now on OKC and Match.com and just fucking finally found a girl. I sent her a message and received no reply for almost 2 weeks. I completely wrote her off and moved on....then suddenly I got a reply. She was busy finishing up her school year and finally checked the message.

Long story short, we sent like 5 messages each, and have now gone on 2 dates and it has been pretty good.

Just stick with it. But you're right, it's frustrating as hell.

What pissed me off the most was when I'd have GREAT message exchanges with a girl for like 2-3 days and just when I'm like "ok, after she replies this next time, I'm going to ask her out on a date" and then I never heard from them again. Happened so many times...

ianp622

Geez, be patient man. I've had to wait four days sometimes to get a response to a girl I've been chatting with. When she did respond, she said "I spend quite a bit of time thinking about you and your letters".

I'm going to be meeting her for the first time tomorrow.

I was at Starbucks today, killing some time before seeing Prometheus, when a girl came over and talked to me. She was from Okcupid, and she recognized me from the site. It seemed she messaged me twice beforehand, and I didn't message her back either time. She's a decent-looking girl, but our match rating was 10% and enemy 50%.

When she was flirting with me, I rejected her, and continued back to something more interesting, my reread of Game of Thrones. Being back home, and not socializing as much during the summer, I slightly forgot the feeling of rejecting a woman. It felt good.

dark_chris

I just barely got the app and turned on that i was available at a festival. Turns out not even 15 mins, and i got two that wanted to meet me. I met one and we got along very well. We're meeting up again on weds. =)

cametall

Hahaha, I know that feeling because I'm only like 5'6. Most of the women on there want 5'10+ sooooo...

Keep looking. I've found a few girls on there who wanted 5'3+.

EDIT: The funniest are the girls who are like 4'9 and demand a 6'+ dude.

Toby

I wish I could try this website, but I'm scared about any risks.
What do you mean? Are you scared of rejection, or something else?

It's been hard for me to come to the realization I can't be liked by everyone, and I've been really scared of rejection. Hopefully I've really come to terms with it, and can make a profile soon. I don't think I'm ready to just go up to people I see around everyday, unfortunately.

What do you mean? Are you scared of rejection, or something else?

It's been hard for me to come to the realization I can't be liked by everyone, and I've been really scared of rejection. Hopefully I've really come to terms with it, and can make a profile soon. I don't think I'm ready to just go up to people I see around everyday, unfortunately.
There's no one on this site that I find attractive that are near me. I'm just going to forget it.

Bleepey

I would gladly trade message response rate with the ugliest chick on the site with myself. And i wouldnt say i was an ugly guy. Electricshake, i am assuming you are a girl, message 10 guys today, and tell me how many responses you get, i would bet money at least 7. I can message 7 and i wouldnt be surprised if it was only 1 or 2.

Much easier than use men.

My problem is I like white girls a lot, and on the site I think a large amount aren't up for any black guys. I guess the whole fact they have a site of choice doesn't help, and I have been successful on the site, but just not as much as I've wanted to be

Try POF. I prefer it, the site loads faster and i have gotten a couple numbers this weekend. Although i had to message a shit tonne to do it.

Bleepey

I was at Starbucks today, killing some time before seeing Prometheus, when a girl came over and talked to me. She was from Okcupid, and she recognized me from the site. It seemed she messaged me twice beforehand, and I didn't message her back either time. She's a decent-looking girl, but our match rating was 10% and enemy 50%.

When she was flirting with me, I rejected her, and continued back to something more interesting, my reread of Game of Thrones. Being back home, and not socializing as much during the summer, I slightly forgot the feeling of rejecting a woman. It felt good.

Yeesh, was it an ego thing for you to reject her? The match things are kinda silly i just use them to see what a girls answers are on various questions and issues. But i suppose you get tonnes of messages?

LProtag

Oh jeeze, this girl I used to know through some friends just popped up on my list of matches today. I had a bit of a crush on her, but I think it would be far too awkward to contact her again through a dating site after not having seen her for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom