• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paertan

Ok so I don’t use Okcupid cause I am Swedish so we have different sites. But I always looked down upon these sites but damn. All these years on the internet is finally paying off!
I have met with two girls so far. Both times have been successful. Not really after just sex I am actually trying to find a girlfriend so no sex on first date.

First one ended after a few weeks cause neither of us really felt it was going to work.
Second one ended after just a few days. She wants kids, as 2-4 and pretty soon. I don’t want any kids and no never.

And I still got a few girls I am talking to via the sites mail and at least two wants too meet. One is a aerobics instructor so yeah Hooooot! Ok three but one is a religious girl and that aint gonna work.

I turn 27 in a few weeks. I have had sex with three girls in my entire life (one earlier 1,5 year relationship). Two of them since May because of dating sites.
I just want more people to try these sites. I am encouraging friends, both boys and girls to use them. The more who use them the better.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ok so I don’t use Okcupid cause I am Swedish so we have different sites. But I always looked down upon these sites but damn. All these years on the internet is finally paying off!

I just want more people to try these sites. I am encouraging friends, both boys and girls to use them. The more who use them the better.

I've read an interview with the owner of the biggest russian dating service and he said that american services like Match.com and Okcupid feel more desperate in their demographics comparing to the same sites in other countries. I've read it 2-3 years ago so that might have changed. I also heard that Chinese dating sites have been very, very popular for years and are considered to be one of the most popular ways to find a relationship.

Some stuff I've read in this thread puzzles me. Like not being able to see when the girl is online, "emails" (no built-in message system??) and so on. I might even try to register on one of those sites to see how it's built.

DrBo42

My gf showed me her OKC, and wowza she got more than 500 messages and so many of those guys seem so desperate and creepy... Yuck. And while she got that many, I got 3 when I last checked haha.

Also when she were riding me, someone from OKC called her - that was a freaking weird and awkward moment to me. =/
You in the middle of it and she answered? Ahaha what the fuck?

Pachimari

Well yeah.. the phone called and she INSTANTLY reacted and answered the phone but it was daytime and we just did it cause we had nothing else to do at that moment. :)

But I felt strange yeah... didn't even know how to react, I were just stunned lol. I have had many of those moments were I got stunned and didn't know how to react in this relationship actually.

Darklord

Banned
I wish POF would say who you have messaged. I've come across a few profiles and I can't remember if I've messaged them before or not. I don't want to be sending multiple messages to the one girl. :s

.GqueB.

Banned
I wish POF would say who you have messaged. I've come across a few profiles and I can't remember if I've messaged them before or not. I don't want to be sending multiple messages to the one girl. :s

It does tell you. Right in the upper right hand corner instead of the message button, it tells you when you last contacted that person.

Darklord

Banned
It does tell you. Right in the upper right hand corner instead of the message button, it tells you when you last contacted that person.

Not on POF. On okcupid it says that.

Edit: And why do so many conversations go dead? This one I was chatting to even made a note that she won't reply to a person unless she's interested in them and we had a lot in common. She replies to my message, and again, and again, seemed well enough interested, no one line reply or anything and then just stops. Shit was flowing, the conversation wasn't stalling or anything. I just don't get it. It's happened like 3 times now. :(

Kipe

What do you guys think of my profile? I just made it the other day and I'm looking for some feedback. The whole shebang. I may have grabbed a few clever one liners from people here if they were generic enough.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/plaidisfine

I feel like it may be too long.

Looks really good. Lots of personality and some humor. It's kind of abrasive, but abrasive is better than generic and boring. You can tone it down or even be slightly more aggressive later on.

Two things I would change.
I'm pretty laid back and try not to get too stressed about things.

Bury Doctor Who, the odds of someone looking at your profile who knows about Doctor Who is slim in the US. Bump either Futurama or The Walking Dead.

Takuya

Banned
My gf showed me her OKC, and wowza she got more than 500 messages and so many of those guys seem so desperate and creepy... Yuck. And while she got that many, I got 3 when I last checked haha.

Also when she were riding me, someone from OKC called her - that was a freaking weird and awkward moment to me. =/

She gave him her number? lol

Question for all you fell'rs.

Any heavy-set guys here have success on OKCupid? I remember I tried it out years ago, but any online dating site is so visually-oriented I got discouraged. My lack of confidence and self-esteem back then was part of the problem, but I'm wondering if it'd even be worth making a profile considering I don't have a lot of photos of me now that I'm slimmer.

It probably wouldn't hurt to try, considering I haven't done much in the meatspace lately, but online dating is huge about looks.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Question for all you fell'rs.

Any heavy-set guys here have success on OKCupid? I remember I tried it out years ago, but any online dating site is so visually-oriented I got discouraged. My lack of confidence and self-esteem back then was part of the problem, but I'm wondering if it'd even be worth making a profile considering I don't have a lot of photos of me now that I'm slimmer.

It probably wouldn't hurt to try, considering I haven't done much in the meatspace lately, but online dating is huge about looks.

Are there shallow people on OKC? OF course, just as many as there out in the real world. Just shoot girls messages and see what happens.

Darklord

Banned
I had totally forgotten I sent a drunken message to a girl the other night. I kind of creatively called her a cheap whore in it(not as a direct insult though)...and I just got a reply back from her laughing and chatting. So drunk semi-asshole messaging is a go it seems. Though now I'm sober I got no idea how to follow that up. Where's my bottle of Jack?

LProtag

Bury Doctor Who, the odds of someone looking at your profile who knows about Doctor Who is slim in the US. Bump either Futurama or The Walking Dead.

I've gotten two messages from girls about Doctor Who in my profile.

Of course, one of them was horribly unattractive and the other one hasn't responded back yet, but still.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I had totally forgotten I sent a drunken message to a girl the other night. I kind of creatively called her a cheap whore in it(not as a direct insult though)...and I just got a reply back from her laughing and chatting. So drunk semi-asshole messaging is a go it seems. Though now I'm sober I got no idea how to follow that up. Where's my bottle of Jack?
I messaged a girl that was probably a 9, no response. I message her again 3 days later just to get my profile back in her view as she was probably bombarded with messages since joining, but this time I brought up the fact it seemed she got breast implants. No more than 20 minutes later, I get a reply saying that I was the first guy to call her out on it and she laughed. I wrote back using that as a jumping off point, but again, no reply. Site is weird.

But that was like the first time I've ever been "rude" to a chick on there and of course they reply back. So yeah, they like assholes it seems. That's disappointing.

zlatko

Banned
I'm at work now, but I'll check up how I did later tonight. I messaged about 3-4 ladies I think.

I looked at their profiles, saw something for a possible joke/funny line to say, and just rolled into a clever message.

I'll see how it pans, and I'm definitely not an ugly duder either so if this crashes and burns, then I'm just going to follow the asshole routine to see how it pans out.

Site is alright so far though, but like others have pointed out it's a lot of fairly unattractive ladies both on the outside and inside based off of profiles lol.

Slycoopr

I've noticed on POF that the really attractive women delete their profile within a day or two, but before that, they change their headline to something like, "Bunch of assholes. Fuck this site." I messaged this hot chick once, and she asked me for my email address because she was about to delete her profile on account of all the harassment she was getting from the dudes on the site.

Kipe

I've gotten two messages from girls about Doctor Who in my profile.

Of course, one of them was horribly unattractive and the other one hasn't responded back yet, but still.

I meant he should keep it in his profile just swap the sentences around with the more familiar shows.

Shanks

I love how my visitors section is now full of a bunch of dudes from around the world. Hopefully from GAF!

Anybody else have anything?

I've noticed on POF that the really attractive women delete their profile within a day or two, but before that, they change their headline to something like, "Bunch of assholes. Fuck this site." I messaged this hot chick once, and she asked me for my email address because she was about to delete her profile on account of all the harassment she was getting from the dudes on the site.

As a woman on OKC or PoF one has basically have to deal with sexual harassment and guys who think you're rude for not answering them within a specific time frame despite being flooded with messages from many other men. There's a lot shit of they have to put up with. I think PoF is worse than OKC in this avenue from what I've been told.

I deleted my POF account within a day. Had all the variants of creep and perverts imaginable.

OKC is better because the whole match percentage thing reduces enormously the number of idiots, although you still get lots of shit.

.GqueB.

Banned
Not on POF. On okcupid it says that.

Edit: And why do so many conversations go dead? This one I was chatting to even made a note that she won't reply to a person unless she's interested in them and we had a lot in common. She replies to my message, and again, and again, seemed well enough interested, no one line reply or anything and then just stops. Shit was flowing, the conversation wasn't stalling or anything. I just don't get it. It's happened like 3 times now. :(

Ohhhh. Sorry I didnt see that you mentioned POF. Thought you were talking about OKC.

LProtag

Holy crap, I finally messaged this girl that I think is really awesome, but had a thing up saying she wasn't really actively using the site because she had just gotten out of a relationship or something. Anyway she had taken that down and I figured what the hell, and I sent her like two lines of conversation.

She sent back like 5 paragraphs. Time to try to not act like a fool.

Darklord

Banned
How should I ask a girl out when I don't really know this city very well? I only know a few places. Should I ask what some of her favourite places are then say we should meet there?

ianp622

How should I ask a girl out when I don't really know this city very well? I only know a few places. Should I ask what some of her favourite places are then say we should meet there?

Ask friends, look at Yelp forums, or see if there's a reddit page for your city.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

Do you have a transportation hub in your city? When I'm talking to a woman for a bit and we're going to meet up and kinda wander I usually say we should meet at this train stop at this time and just go from there.

Or just yelp a couple bars and see which one sounds suited for a meetup.

Zomba13

So I got a POF account today and thought I'd try that out as I think I've been though everyone on OKC (Though some pretty crazy girl who lived ages away did start messaging me and getting pissy with pretty much everything I said but kept replying and then deleted her account lol).
One thing I've noticed is that POF has no where near the amount of 'geeky' girls OKC has, at least for my area. My interests are pretty geeky (the shows/movies I like, video games etc) and it's pretty important for me.
Did get a girl message me like, the instant I made the account who lives in the same town (a lot more from my town on here than on OKC) but she is not my type at all and wanted to meet up right away and even called me 'babes'.

Sent a bunch of messages off and got 2 replies today with a pretty decent chain going with one though I'm not sure she is my type, she is really pretty though.

LProtag

And now that I'm actually thinking about meeting people here I'm getting massively self-conscious about my bad teeth and my horrible physique.

Great.

I don't see anything big to change, looks good to me!

I have such high match ratings with my fellow Gaffers. No one was below a 70%. My brethrens!

Then, I'll make some tiny changes to keep my profile up to date with my life. That tends to be the bigger issue as I allow it to be left unchanged for a long period.

I have such high match ratings with my fellow Gaffers. No one was below a 70%. My brethrens!

Then, I'll make some tiny changes to keep my profile up to date with my life. That tends to be the bigger issue as I allow it to be left unchanged for a long period.
Damn dude, you put a lot of work in your file!

Az987

all good things
Ha.

I saw on the homepage that an ex girlfriend had uploaded a picture so I messaged her because I thought it was funny.

I don't think she found it quite as funny.

So about 8 months in to my OKC experiment, and I'm doing a bit better than expected. Still single but girls have actually talked to me. I think I just need to work on my profile more and find better pictures of myself, because I am getting a high rate of message-to-profile views, but not many messages in return.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I might as well get Gaf's opinion on my profile. I am getting in the mood to rewrite some stuff, and kill some of the older pictures. So, this time, I'll have Gaf give me some critiques.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/lovelycraft

I've gotten some moderate success with the current layout, but I could always do better. ;-D
68% :(

I think you could remove your sister photo. Maybe cut back a bit on some text? What is there is good though.
And now that I'm actually thinking about meeting people here I'm getting massively self-conscious about my bad teeth and my horrible physique.

Great.
Tactics. Like Yang.

Fëanor

Been sending messages back and forth with three different girls and working with a fourth one right now. Its kind of amusing hahaha. Its probably my area, but I haven't seen many latinas in there no big deal though.

Gonna meet with one girl on sunday to just hang out, and have another meet up with another girl sometime next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom