• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlatko

Banned
http://www.okcupid.com/profile/zlatkod

Alright well I think I'm fucked. I think up to now I've messaged oh 20 or so cute girls, and I've been damn clever and made some non creepy/easy/light humored jokes based off their profiles to try and kick things off.

I've had 1 reply, and that's it.

I've come to the conclusion that I am indeed one ugly mother fucker and am doomed to a life of 5 knuckle shuffles.

Seriously though...the few girls who have visited MY profile or messaged me are 100% not cuties.

Am I fugly GAF? Or is my profile in general just weak as fuck. :/

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member

Alright well I think I'm fucked. I think up to now I've messaged oh 20 or so cute girls, and I've been damn clever and made some non creepy/easy/light humored jokes based off their profiles to try and kick things off.

I've come to the conclusion that I am indeed one ugly mother fucker and am doomed to a life of 5 knuckle shuffles.

Seriously though...the few girls who have visited MY profile or messaged me are 100% not cuties.

The fact that you call yourself funny multiple times is a mistake. You can't deem yourself funny. Doesn't work that way.

I'm straight, but my immediate reaction was you are totally normal, good looking white dude. I doubt that's a problem.

From what I see, you're probably too nice and don't give enough of a hook for people to know what to say to you. That's usually a problem I have where an attractive woman will write something and then I'll have no idea what to say back so I give up and move on to someone who has more clearly expressed defined interests and makes her conversational style obvious. If a person doesn't like games, what are they supposed to say to you?

Add some legitimately clever/funny jokes and just a little bit more about things you want to talk about.

The fact that you call yourself funny multiple times is a mistake. You can't deem yourself funny. Doesn't work that way.
Totally agree with this too. Show, don't tell.

I think you are better looking than me. Shit....maybe I'm fugly.

My profile is pretty bare bones and my messages to girls are cut and paste. I have no idea how I'm getting so much replies and dates.

Shanks

I agree with others, it's not your looks. I just joined but sometimes it goes hours with nothing and sometimes I get a small wave of reasonable looking ladies. It may just be a weird time.

I think you are better looking than me. Shit....maybe I'm fugly.

My profile is pretty bare bones and my messages to girls are cut and paste. I have no idea how I'm getting so much replies and dates.

Just cut and paste? Well do tell! I've mostly just made a comment or two about your taste in whatever and congratulate them on being awesome. Mixed reviews.

Ultima_5

You might consider removing the bit about guy with a rain coat... I can't imagine that's something people want to have on their mind when they consider messaging you...

I'm in the same boat man, I had an old profile I posted here and people reassured me I wasn't repulsive at least, but I get barely any responses. One pretty girl messaged me and we've been messaging back and forth, she said she wanted to meet up and I was going to arrange it next week (payday), now she tells me she doesn't think she is ready for anything because she isn't over her ex. Fun times.

Edit: Guess I will throw up the link to my new profile, just in case anyone has some constructive critcism: www.okcupid.com/profile/Autopergamene/

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

lol if that's an ugly mother fucker, then I'm a goddamn goblin
KuGsj.gif

can't get down anyways. make changes to the profile and just keep trying.

here's my profile if you want to check something out that I've been honing for the past couple years (I average about 3 views a day and am talking to a few girls now, 2 of which we've moved onto texting and 1 of which we'll be meeting up soon).

http://www.okcupid.com/L0u13

Kipe

I agree with Ultima5 get rid of the creepy guy stuff.

Kill the favorite games list. The entire thing. Girls might get a bad impression and think you will ignore them to play games. Don't remove everything game-related just be more subtle about it.

Try changing the default picture and put the joke picture in the gallery.

Oh, and capitalize yo shit.

I'm in the same boat man, I had an old profile I posted here and people reassured me I wasn't repulsive at least, but I get barely any responses. One pretty girl messaged me and we've been messaging back and forth, she said she wanted to meet up and I was going to arrange it next week (payday), now she tells me she doesn't think she is ready for anything because she isn't over her ex. Fun times.

Edit: Guess I will throw up the link to my new profile, just in case anyone has some constructive critcism: www.okcupid.com/profile/Autopergamene/

Too honest. You're selling yourself poorly. Your introduction has no hook just reasons why people should stay away from you.

Fëanor

Yeah, just remove some of the stuff as some of the guys have suggested. And Ugly motherfucker? LUL WUT!?

By the way, I have sent around 25 messages to that many different girls mostly with replies till recently, so it takes time really. I mean most girls didn't reply back, but just give it time.

HeySeuss

You guys have to remember that girls get bombarded by messages, even the fat ugly ones. Don't be discouraged by not getting any responses, some people literally get 100+ messages a day. Just no real way to keep up with that.

Moppet13

You guys have to remember that girls get bombarded by messages, even the fat ugly ones. Don't be discouraged by not getting any responses, some people literally get 100+ messages a day. Just no real way to keep up with that.

If that's true, I would make an OKCupid if I were a girl just for that kind of confidence boost.

Bleepey

If that's true, I would make an OKCupid if I were a girl just for that kind of confidence boost.

I am sure girls do. Girls don't have to put any thought or effort into their profile, or message anyone and they can get tonnes of messages. Girls may lament about the lack of quality of messages but they get tonnes of messages and i am sure there are a frequently quite a few gems amongst the shitty messages, guys on the other hand rarely get quality or quantity. Plus, even if a girl likes you they may be reluctant to message you. Hmm. At times i wonder if it's worth the effort.

ianp622

You're not ugly. I'd say you're more attractive than I am and I get about 1 unsolicited message a week, and have gone on dates with 9's and 10's. But your profile is kind of meh.

Don't say that you're pretty normal. That's boring.

Don't say you have a sense of humor. That's not very funny.

Why not say what about gaming makes it your biggest passion? Show, don't tell, how you're passionate.

Your line about religious views is kind of stilted and out of place.

I agree with Kipe. When you're talking about yourself, show people why they would want to get to know you. Completely remove any hint of disappointment or feelings of hopelessness.

You've got a typo in this sentence: "I'm not so good at selling myself so have a look at my interests and if you like similair then say hello." but you should remove that anyway.

You can say you're not a fan of small-talk, but say why. Do you think people are more than what they say in polite conversation? Do you like to dive head-first into learning what makes a person tick?

Oemenia

Banned
To the guys, dont get disheartened, the women have men lined up for them and so they can be very picky.

Rejection normally means your note a male model and/or a millionaire.

To the guys, dont get disheartened, the women have men lined up for them and so they can be very picky.

Rejection normally means your note a male model and/or a millionaire.

This

I don't know how what the men to woman ratio is, but it's like a supermarket for women. I'm just playing it cool, messaging girls who have a good interest in ahit I'm into, rather than their looks.

I've got a message from a chick I need to reply to, but doubting whether I should, and so meant have turned to shit

Anyway....

Tinabina

Guys, dont go thinking youre not getting any dates because youre ugly or anything. Most of the girls on sites like these are just bored attention whores. They want to flirt and they want you to tell them how awesome and hot they are. Very few are actually there to find someone to date.

Some weeks, I'll have a shit load of activity with women, other weeks, I get nothing. I'm a good-looking man, and I have a well thought-out profile. Don't worry too much if you're getting nill, it's just like that at times. Not your fault at all.

Unicorn

Oh man, the worst just happened. Just got a message from some girl I knew in high school. THE last person I would want to run into anywhere, ESPECIALLY a dating site.

Fuck.

Oh man, the worst just happened. Just got a message from some girl I knew in high school. THE last person I would want to run into anywhere, ESPECIALLY a dating site.

Fuck.

Ignore her, or hate-fuck her and release your inner-Rorak.

I don't see the big deal in her messaging you.

Unicorn

Ignore her, or hate-fuck her and release your inner-Rorak.

I don't see the big deal in her messaging you.

Well, all through high school she was super clingy. I sat next to her in one class and she thought we were best fucking friends. She asked me to Winter Formal and I denied. She then somehow got my mother's number, called her and tried to get her to convince me to go with her. My mom called, explaining I should. Jesus crazy Christ.

Doesn't end there. Through myspace she would stalk me, then it carried over to facebook, eventually leading me to block her. Just when I thought I had finally gotten rid of her after years of nothing, I run into her at the grocery store a few months back. Awkward as all hell.

Now this.

Also, there's no bangs to be had. She's a jesus freak, refuses pre-marital sex, had half her teeth pulled in highschool and has some retainer thing with fake teeth on them so it looks like she's got a regular smile. There's a lot of other stuff, but yeah, it basically amounts to me being really shallow in regards to this particular girl and the fact that she's clingy like the motherfucking northstar.

Aselith

I'd remove "and very serious about it" after agnostic. No one wants to message a crazy, evangelistic zealot.

zlatko

Banned
I'd remove "and very serious about it" after agnostic. No one wants to message a crazy, evangelistic zealot.

Well I'm serious about it, but I don't plan to convert or put down someone for what they think to be right. So I guess I'll put it as somewhat serious lol.

Unicorn

Well I'm serious about it, but I don't plan to convert or put down someone for what they think to be right. So I guess I'll put it as somewhat serious lol.

or just leave it as "agnostic" without any suffix-ing.

putting anything after it implies you have some sort of agenda with it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Well, all through high school she was super clingy. I sat next to her in one class and she thought we were best fucking friends. She asked me to Winter Formal and I denied. She then somehow got my mother's number, called her and tried to get her to convince me to go with her. My mom called, explaining I should. Jesus crazy Christ.

Doesn't end there. Through myspace she would stalk me, then it carried over to facebook, eventually leading me to block her. Just when I thought I had finally gotten rid of her after years of nothing, I run into her at the grocery store a few months back. Awkward as all hell.

Now this.

Also, there's no bangs to be had. She's a jesus freak, refuses pre-marital sex, had half her teeth pulled in highschool and has some retainer thing with fake teeth on them so it looks like she's got a regular smile. There's a lot of other stuff, but yeah, it basically amounts to me being really shallow in regards to this particular girl and the fact that she's clingy like the motherfucking northstar.

redirect

Aselith

or just leave it as "agnostic" without any suffix-ing.

putting anything after it implies you have some sort of agenda with it.

Exactly. Putting extra stuff after religious/political affiliation would imply to me that I'm going to hear about it all night. No one cares...but no. one. cares. You know what I mean?

Dicer

Banned
So, I signed back up and things are going much better this spin around, amazing what some confidence in myself that appears in my description got the ladies flocking...

I got the:

"Your personality: Really great
How bad girls want you: So bad
Your profile, as of 8 milliseconds ago: Approved!"

Thing which I assume is automagically sent after so many hits, don't care it's still a boost.

I'm currently chatting up this short lil suicide girl let's see how it goes.

ATF487

You look fine. I would say leave more openings in your profile. Give hints to your personality but don't spell it all out for people.

Also the "You should message me if:" section is a little too long. You don't seem to be in a position where you really need to be weeding out people, so make it seem less demanding.

I am sure girls do. Girls don't have to put any thought or effort into their profile, or message anyone and they can get tonnes of messages. Girls may lament about the lack of quality of messages but they get tonnes of messages and i am sure there are a frequently quite a few gems amongst the shitty messages, guys on the other hand rarely get quality or quantity. Plus, even if a girl likes you they may be reluctant to message you. Hmm. At times i wonder if it's worth the effort.

metaphor for egg vs sperm

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Going on a hike-date in a few hours. I think we're also gonna see Moonrise Kingdom afterwards. I'm feeling really tired though, I had a big night last night. Summer break has seemingly had a big impact on OKC theres been a lot more activity the last few weeks.

I updated my self-summary bit, and just made it a couple of lines, I figure that will be better until I can think up something longer. The problem is my confidence is so low that my old summary was me selling myself the best I possibly could!

lol if that's an ugly mother fucker, then I'm a goddamn goblin
KuGsj.gif

can't get down anyways. make changes to the profile and just keep trying.

here's my profile if you want to check something out that I've been honing for the past couple years (I average about 3 views a day and am talking to a few girls now, 2 of which we've moved onto texting and 1 of which we'll be meeting up soon).

http://www.okcupid.com/L0u13

Having seen your pics in the post new pics thread, I'd like to disagree! You should get some of those bad boys on yer profile.

UFRA

You're not ugly bro.

ianp622

Well since everyone else is doing it, I could use some help on my profile too. http://www.okcupid.com/profile/asimplepharmboy

I guess my concerns are my profile photo (is it too 'goofy'?) and lack of more solo photos. And maybe my profile is too dull?

Would change the profile pic to the "At the club suite" one. It's a nice smile, but the quality is bad. Other than that, no big problems, but not particularly exciting either. Maybe talk about what you're studying - could be a good talking point.

Well since everyone else is doing it, I could use some help on my profile too. http://www.okcupid.com/profile/asimplepharmboy

I guess my concerns are my profile photo (is it too 'goofy'?) and lack of more solo photos. And maybe my profile is too dull?
Not bad, but mostly the same advice as everyone else: you guys are too nice!

Don't think you're filling out a "this is what I'm looking for and this is what I am" dating questionnaire. Stand out from the crowd. Every lady is different, but you can generally assume that they're looking for someone who can sincerely make them laugh (not just haha funny, but actually funny) and who acts like he knows his shit.

Haha, I'm just gonna say to hell with it and make an account for fun. In the past I took these dating sites too seriously, so I think if I don't care and be semi-silly, have fun with it, and only deal with it every so often, with it I won't feel disappointed even if I get little to no responses.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just got back. It was a fun time. Internet meetups are always strange for me because it feels like it takes a little bit for the ice to be broken. I think it went really well though, she had great hair and was super fashionable. Shes a geneticist/biologist so she was really really interesting. It was sort of a plus that she went to berkeley and i used to live there so we already had a pretty big thing in common right off the bat. Other than that we kinda just wandered around the state park and ate some cheese and drank a few ciders. Then went to see moonrise kingdom. That movie was ADORABLE. IDK, these things are always so touch and go but I feel like we definitely had some unspoken chemistry. We were both pretty reserved for the first few hours. Gradually feeling out morals/ethics etc. But by the end of the hike she was telling me about her acid trips and stuff so I don't know. We deifnitely seem cut from the same cloth. Call me awful but I was worried she wasn't going to be cute since her photos were very vague and unrevealing but she was actually pretty adorable. Very very great fashion sense. It was fun, I hope I see her again.

kind of drained now though.
edit:

I just remembered she was explaining something about epigenomes and something else I didn't understand and it took EVERY OUNCE of willpower not to bring up assassins creed. And then I started laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom