• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhoan

She is attractive yeah. It's just I haven't been on a date for like 2 years, since I started going out with my ex, and never like this before.

I'm nervous, haha.
Go for it man. Consider this a warm up. If don't do it, you'll regret it. Nothing gained, nothing ventured. Who knows? You guys just might have something in common. Besides, since she's older, she probably DTF for all you know.

So I made my page, but there's a few things that I left blank because I dunno what to put. If anyone wants to see my profile, I'll post it. My brother told me to hit up two chicks every day. I haven't hit up any today.

Careful there's gonna be a slight shock when you first see her since in your mind she's only been in pictures and probably those that make her look her best, not that this is bad at all just be prepared and have fun!!

Haha I can second that. She wasn't ugly. She was basically what I expected, appearance-wise. There just wasn't any chemistry.

Protip:

2 in the pink, 1 in the stink.

;) Have fun man.

Haha, from one pro to another...roger that ;).

.....Just not this girl. No chemistry. Haha. Oh well, it was my first "online" date.

Dominoes

Banned
Make sure to grab yourself a clamp.

If things roll out being deeper than that. Good for you.

Just, at least relish the vice of a strong grasp.

zlatko

Banned
So still no reply from girl 1, so I opted to exchange digits with girl 2. Sent a text each back and forth.

I asked her to see if she was up to anything tomorrow. Truth is I just really want to go see SpiderMan lmao. I figured we could eat before, then hit it up, if the date bombs at least I'll get to see my most excited for movie of the year. :p

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Have a conversation going with one nice girl, it's taking her a bit to reply though. She's a PhD student here in psychology. Going to try to keep it going, smart women are sexy. :)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Whelp, my first second date with a girl from OKC is on the Fourth. We'll see how it goes, my ability to recognize if people are attracted to me is so fried that even after the enthusiasm she's shown for making plans and talking to me I'm still not sure if she wants to just be "friends"

Amory

Got a message today from a really cute girl. I was pretty excited, but then I saw she's only 18 and I'm 24.

Wat do, gaf?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Got a message today from a really cute girl. I was pretty excited, but then I saw she's only 18 and I'm 24.

Wat do, gaf?

You could take her out for a bite to eat and a movie, but yeah, not having the ability to drink together is a bit of an issue. It's always the best way to break the ice down.

Also keep in mind, most 18 year old girls are quite immature. You could just try and make friends I suppose, maybe she has a hot older sister.

Unicorn

Still no luck with this shit. Only girl to talk to me must be on her vacation now. No new messages from her and I can't creep out and check her "last online" status....again.

Sent out several messages to others a couple days ago. Not one reply.

Amory

Still no luck with this shit. Only girl to talk to me must be on her vacation now. No new messages from her and I can't creep out and check her "last online" status....again.

Throw down the 15 bucks a month for however long you decide to use the site and browse anonymously. Lets you stalk as much as you want without being creepy.

Throw down the 15 bucks a month for however long you decide to use the site and browse anonymously. Lets you stalk as much as you want without being creepy.

You can browse anonymously without paying the only bad thing is you won't be able to see your visitors.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Is her profile visible to non-members? Just log out and copy-paste the address if so.

zlatko

Banned
Gotta be a member.

God, this IS creepy.

This is what I meant by earlier when I said "this site brings out the worst in me in some ways." I had a buddy of mine I was telling about this whole online dating stuff and wanted to see a pic of the girl I was thinking is super cute/cool, but I couldn't visit her profile due to "not wanting to visit too much to look like a creep." LOL!

Still nothing from girl 1. Figure that must be it, but I'll be a hopeless fool till at least the end of this week before I fully give up. Girl 2 I asked out tonight, but she can't as she had already made plans. No big deal, but at least we have each others numbers and have texted. So that's a step in the right direction compared to #1.

gazele

Banned
This is what I meant by earlier when I said "this site brings out the worst in me in some ways." I had a buddy of mine I was telling about this whole online dating stuff and wanted to see a pic of the girl I was thinking is super cute/cool, but I couldn't visit her profile due to "not wanting to visit too much to look like a creep." LOL!

Still nothing from girl 1. Figure that must be it, but I'll be a hopeless fool till at least the end of this week before I fully give up. Girl 2 I asked out tonight, but she can't as she had already made plans. No big deal, but at least we have each others numbers and have texted. So that's a step in the right direction compared to #1.

Sorry dude, that sucks, I think I saw you wanted to see spiderman with her? I know the temptation but movie dates aren't such a great idea super early in a relationship, but that's just my opinion.

So I met a girl on POF, we messaged for a while, then started texting and just went on 2 dates, I really wasn't sure what to make of it since nothing happened on them.

This weekend she was away so I thought I'd pull back a bit, but she kept texting me.

So we ended up sexting the last two nights, feels good man, as I'm still not completely over my ex, but if she's sexting that's a good sign right? I'm really not trying to brag just curious

zlatko

Banned
Sorry dude, that sucks, I think I saw you wanted to see spiderman with her? I know the temptation but movie dates aren't such a great idea super early in a relationship, but that's just my opinion.

So I met a girl on POF, we messaged for a while, then started texting and just went on 2 dates, I really wasn't sure what to make of it since nothing happened on them.

This weekend she was away so I thought I'd pull back a bit, but she kept texting me.

So we ended up sexting the last two nights, feels good man, as I'm still not completely over my ex, but if she's sexting that's a good sign right? I'm really not trying to brag just curious

Yeah as far as the movie date it wasn't anything locked in. Just something we both were up for, and I was going to try to finalize it over the weekend or yesterday. Oh well. I know it's not me, because girl 2 just asked me out on a date for tomorrow even though she had plans today.

Going to get boba/coffee...I don't drink either haha. Still I'll wing it an order something good tasting and then be as smooth as a baby's bottom when it comes to convo. Not that nervous about it to be honest. It's the whole process to meet up that makes me nervous so as to not come off creepy. :p

gazele

Banned
Yeah as far as the movie date it wasn't anything locked in. Just something we both were up for, and I was going to try to finalize it over the weekend or yesterday. Oh well. I know it's not me, because girl 2 just asked me out on a date for tomorrow even though she had plans today.

Going to get boba/coffee...I don't drink either haha. Still I'll wing it an order something good tasting and then be as smooth as a baby's bottom when it comes to convo. Not that nervous about it to be honest. It's the whole process to meet up that makes me nervous so as to not come off creepy. :p

Nice, that sounds good, something relax and chill, yeah, it's tough to be forward but not too aggressive haha

zlatko

Banned
Nice, that sounds good, something relax and chill, yeah, it's tough to be forward but not too aggressive haha

Women just have like all the cards when it comes to this. It's their game we are playing at the end of the day lol.

How goes the sexting? You bringing a fleshlight to work while you do it? You rascal you!

gazele

Banned
Women just have like all the cards when it comes to this. It's their game we are playing at the end of the day lol.

How goes the sexting? You bringing a fleshlight to work while you do it? You rascal you!

Haha, no, the key to sexting to me is to build anticipation and not be super dirty, try to imagine your writing an erotic novel with you and the girl, game of thrones books were also a big inspiration haha.

I wanted her to come over last night but she was tired so we did that instead, a few girls from these sites I went to aggressive, like if they couldn't hang out on a Friday I'd see if they could hang out Saturday or Sunday, which makes it look like you have nothing else going on, also not texting them too much is a good idea early on, it's tough though, I know the temptation.

I'm rootin for you!!

zlatko

Banned
Haha, no, the key to sexting to me is to build anticipation and not be super dirty, try to imagine your writing an erotic novel with you and the girl, game of thrones books were also a big inspiration haha.

I wanted her to come over last night but she was tired so we did that instead, a few girls from these sites I went to aggressive, like if they couldn't hang out on a Friday I'd see if they could hang out Saturday or Sunday, which makes it look like you have nothing else going on, also not texting them too much is a good idea early on, it's tough though, I know the temptation.

I'm rootin for you!!

Yeah I feel that's probably where I dropped the ball with girl #1. Granted I had shit going on, but I was MAKING time to check the damn site/try to keep in touch on IM.

You should just buy 50 shades of Grey and reword some of the fancy lines from it then. ;)

Right now I have no plans to text this girl unless she leaves an open ended text that requires a reply. After we hang out tomorrow, depending on how it goes, then I may do one once every 2 days just to see how she is and keep it going.

gazele

Banned
Yeah I feel that's probably where I dropped the ball with girl #1. Granted I had shit going on, but I was MAKING time to check the damn site/try to keep in touch on IM.

You should just buy 50 shades of Grey and reword some of the fancy lines from it then. ;)

Right now I have no plans to text this girl unless she leaves an open ended text that requires a reply. After we hang out tomorrow, depending on how it goes, then I may do one once every 2 days just to see how she is and keep it going.

Haha, my girl actually said she didn't need 50 shades of gray after she read mine lol

I get it, your excited and making time but she could misunderstand that as being too available, sounds like you're on the right track with this new one :)

zlatko

Banned
Haha, my girl actually said she didn't need 50 shades of gray after she read mine lol

I get it, your excited and making time but she could misunderstand that as being too available, sounds like you're on the right track with this new one :)

Yup, right on the nose. That's why I'll be way less forthcoming with wtf I have going on each day, and also do the "let me get back to you," if asked out in the future to make it seem like I got more going down then I do. To be fair I work 9+ hours Monday to Thursday, work out, cook, etc. I really do only have about 2-3 hours at best on an evening to myself, and I'm attending college on the weekend. Plus I get stuck with my nieces quite often for baby sitting.

Yo damn! Write your own book then. ;)

It does suck I botched it somewhere with the first one, because there was a lot of chemistry there. That's life. Live and learn. :p

Acid08

Banned
Supposed to meet up with a girl from OKC today, no reply in two days though. We had already made the plans for today, guess she changed her mind and decided not to tell me! I wish she could have at least let me know she was cancelling, that way I could have found some other plans for today.

zlatko

Banned
Supposed to meet up with a girl from OKC today, no reply in two days though. We had already made the plans for today, guess she changed her mind and decided not to tell me! I wish she could have at least let me know she was cancelling, that way I could have found some other plans for today.

Sounds like you got some time to watch something and get a tug in. I suggest Game of Thrones as it will just lead to the tugging of ones own dingaling.

You can't get a hold of her though? Not even a text to say, "We still on for today or?"

Acid08

Banned
Sounds like you got some time to watch something and get a tug in. I suggest Game of Thrones as it will just lead to the tugging of ones own dingaling.

You can't get a hold of her though? Not even a text to say, "We still on for today or?"

We didn't exchange numbers. I suppose I could send her a message but if she didn't reply already I don't think I'll get one now. Oh well, onto the next one! :)

zlatko

Banned
We didn't exchange numbers. I suppose I could send her a message but if she didn't reply already I don't think I'll get one now. Oh well, onto the next one! :)

Well when did you leave your last one, and what did you entail in it?

I mean shit if it's already a lost cause, no harm in messaging her once more in trying to see if she's still interested. Unless you are in some situation where you are like 3+ messages in a row to her without a reply.

Acid08

Banned
Well when did you leave your last one, and what did you entail in it?

I mean shit if it's already a lost cause, no harm and messaging her once more in trying to see if she's still interested. Unless you are in some situation where you are like 3+ messages in a row to her without a reply.

She asked about the location of the place is that we were going to, I told her, and no reply after that. I didn't send her anymore messages after, not really my style to keep bothering someone like that if they don't respond :p

I did just send her a message asking if we're still on for today.

Meowmers

Neo Member

I've heard this story more than once and it makes me sad each time.

It's also eerie when you make tentative plans with someone, and then they delete their profile or are suddenly attached.

Unicorn

Buh, decided to be a creeper. She was online today, but has changed what she's looking for to just friends and pen pals.

Move along, move along.

zlatko

Banned
Buh, decided to be a creeper. She was online today, but has changed what she's looking for to just friends and pen pals.

Move along, move along.

Never be a creeper! You have to resist with all your might and fortitude. YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!

@Meow

Yup. This whole online dating thing is weird as shit. Us GAFfers have to stick together and realize it's not US, it's THEM. We are fucking awesome.

Or at the least, do what I do, and lie to yourself enough that you are the fucking shit till even you believe it. Who needs REAL confidence when you have that? :D

zlatko

Banned
I swear 50% of the girls are lying about their age. I have to set max age to my age-5 to get proper results

POF.com is even worse for this and the reason I'm not even bothering with it as opposed to just okcupid.

I'm 24 so I set my ages from 19 to 26. Seems like a good range to bat in for myself. It's always weird when you see someones range for a girl who is batting from about 3 under her, but goes up to like 10 years older. Really? I'd have a hard time finding plenty in common with someone 10 years older than myself lol.

crush7337

Banned
Okay guys I figured I'll put my profile up for critique/advice.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/durger

I've gotten to the point where my messages seem to catch their attention and get them to look at my profile, but I very rarely get replies back. I'm guessing my message and profile pic are fine since I'm getting most girls to check out my profile (the last 4 I sent out checked out my profile a minute after I sent the message) and I leave some talking points for them to reply back to but it never works. Most of the girls I send messages to do have "Replies very selectively" but that seems like 90% of the matches in my area.

Unicorn

POF.com is even worse for this and the reason I'm not even bothering with it as opposed to just okcupid.

I'm 24 so I set my ages from 19 to 26. Seems like a good range to bat in for myself. It's always weird when you see someones range for a girl who is batting from about 3 under her, but goes up to like 10 years older. Really? I'd have a hard time finding plenty in common with someone 10 years older than myself lol.

women like that older dong, plus it might mean they have a lot of money, but not much time to meet ladies in the real world.

zlatko

Banned
women like that older dong, plus it might mean they have a lot of money, but not much time to meet ladies in the real world.

You'd think gold digging hussies would have an easier time finding a sugar daddy. I think if they are in trouble then the rest of us here on GAF may actually be in some serious trouble finding possible relationships...

Meowmers

Neo Member
Okay guys I figured I'll put my profile up for critique/advice.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/durger

I've gotten to the point where my messages seem to catch their attention and get them to look at my profile, but I very rarely get replies back. I'm guessing my message and profile pic are fine since I'm getting most girls to check out my profile (the last 4 I sent out checked out my profile a minute after I sent the message) and I leave some talking points for them to reply back to but it never works. Most of the girls I send messages to do have "Replies very selectively" but that seems like 90% of the matches in my area.

Before I stop being lazy and un-check 'I don’t want to see or be seen by straight people', what do you usually open up with?

For shits and giggles, I've actually been casually trying Plenty Of Fish. I found that the short profiles actually make me more comfortable/makes it easier to just shoot out a lot of short messages as opposed to sifting through a much longer profile and trying to compress that info into something short and sweet.

It's too soon to tell if I'll have any luck with it, but we'll see.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it

Wat do, gaf?

Nothing wrong with that age difference. I'm 24 and was dating a 19yo guy. Isn't a massive issue as long as they're relatively mature for their age. I say go for it

Paertan

My biggest age difference have been 2 years. Both younger and older. My brother on the other hand had a girlfriend who was 12 years older. He was 20 she was 32. He also had a 19 year old girlfriend when he was 27. So go for it.

crush7337

Banned
Before I stop being lazy and un-check 'I don’t want to see or be seen by straight people', what do you usually open up with?

Usually something along the lines of "How's it going, I came across your profile and figured we'd be a fun match." I usually then comment on something in their profile and then end with a "Send me a message and lets chat sometime."

Meowmers

Neo Member
My biggest age difference have been 2 years. Both younger and older. My brother on the other hand had a girlfriend who was 12 years older. He was 20 she was 32. He also had a 19 year old girlfriend when he was 27. So go for it.

Two cents: one of my longest lasting relationships was with someone 9 years my senior.

Meowmers

Neo Member
Usually something along the lines of "How's it going, I came across your profile and figured we'd be a fun match." I usually then comment on something in their profile and then end with a "Send me a message and lets chat sometime."

Hm, sounds very uniform, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. They might be able to pick up on that, though, and will ergo be less inclined to respond.

I've come to the conclusion that people looking at your profile doesn't necessarily mean they're interested. Curious, maybe. I am admittedly an absurd looking mofo.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Okcupid works boys, me and this girl from America have been taking for ages and are loving how great we are getting on (talked for hours on video skype ) and I can say that I am very happy I went onto this site as both of us have found each other and loving what is happening. Keep looking because it's got great people on there!

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
were are you currently, zombie?

England Sphinx, crazy I know, she decided to look around London as she's got family there and she come across my profile when it said on-line and said hi as it matched from our personality questions. We just talked off the bat and we both hardly went on the site and it was just crazy timing. We both can handle long distance relationships as we've done it before (I did with my first lover) and video skype is great talking live and I've got good resources, and same for her, to meet each other at her place or in the UK. Her family are very well off so it makes things easy for her. We both got a lot in common since we value good traditional values in things like family and very active for the outdoors, and our tastes are a lot in common. It's bloody crazy I tell you but I have no doubt in my being that it can easily work and it's only getting better from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom