• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

My reasoning for not putting girls here on GAF is my name is Zlatko in real life, so it might be pretty easy to see I'm blowing them up online to strangers lol. I figure I'll respect their privacy somewhat ha.

Girl 2 is texting me at work now. Sharing pics of our nieces lol. :)

I'll post the pic of me later on here after work or on my lunch break.

@ gazele yo daaaamn. Nice. *internet bro fist*

Yeah son, three way bro fist up in this bitch. She is hot!

zlatko: I think Girl 2 may be up your alley man, you look like you enjoy constant attention, and she is willing to give. :)

Darklord

Banned
So I looked up Match.com to see what that was like. Good god, I've never seen such a large number of ugly people before in my life. There wasn't a single semi-attractive person.

commedieu

Banned
I find it really dishonest when people look nothing like their photographs.

I still had a great date last night, but man. Come on girl, you knew you got a little bit *different* since those photos were taken. My mistake for thinking that asking for recent picture would be shallow, or that people would be sort of honest when it comes to that.
How do you guys usually do a photo-recent check? Just come out and ask right? Its part of the online game yes, no one will be offended, amiright?
Great girl, great personality. But Its frustrating to not be really attracted to the person. I'm not going to settle anytime soon. I really don't want to waste her time either.

So I looked up Match.com to see what that was like. Good god, I've never seen such a large number of ugly people before in my life. There wasn't a single semi-attractive person.

This is a complete lie, lol. I guess it really depends on what area you're on. But OKcupid has a large number of unattractive people, compared to match. I figured it was this bad, since its free.

zlatko

Banned
I find it really dishonest when people look nothing like their photographs.

I still had a great date last night, but man. Come on girl, you knew you got a little bit *different* since those photos were taken. My mistake for thinking that asking for recent picture would be shallow, or that people would be sort of honest when it comes to that.
How do you guys usually do a photo-recent check? Just come out and ask right? Its part of the online game yes, no one will be offended, amiright?
Great girl, great personality. But Its frustrating to not be really attracted to the person. I'm not going to settle anytime soon. I really don't want to waste her time either.

This is a complete lie, lol. I guess it really depends on what area you're on. But OKcupid has a large number of unattractive people, compared to match. I figured it was this bad, since its free.

Facebook. Every single lady I've added on facebook to make sure I wasn't being hoodwinked. For example girl #3 I let my buddy see a few pics of her, he said, "I think she has the thickness." So I added her to fbook, and yup she is indeed a bit chubby, but had taken pics to hide it quite well.

I'm lucky that I've dated curvy women in the past, so it's not a big deal to me, but I do hate getting off on the wrong foot with lies, especially ones that make me feel you don't really love yourself, so it'd make it hard for you to get to that point with someone else. I've seen first hand people who just can't be happy with their partner, because they think they are "out of their league" and will leave them at some point due to looks.

So yeah, facebook or skype ladies in the future, but be suave and patient on setting it up.

Puckmarin

Banned
I don't get why you wouldn't send an accurate picture to begin with. It's not like your date isn't going to find out eventually.

I basically look the same as I did 10 years ago, except I have A LOT more grey hair now so back in my dating days I would have a mixture of old and recent pictures on my profile but I'd always qualify the old ones by saying "This pic is X years old..." I think that's the only fair thing to do.

zlatko

Banned
I don't get why you wouldn't send an accurate picture to begin with. It's not like your date isn't going to find out eventually.

I basically look the same as I did 10 years ago, except I have A LOT more grey hair now so back in my dating days I would have a mixture of old and recent pictures on my profile but I'd always qualify the old ones by saying "This pic is X years old..." I think that's the only fair thing to do.

Same. My difference now is I just tend to always have scruffy facial hair versus 5-7 years ago.

What can you do though? People have self esteem issues, and a site like this for ladies with those issues, is fantastic since they'll get hit on and flirted with to help boost their confidence...right until they do get the date, and then have to wonder why he didn't want to talk again after. Handsome gentleman don't like to be made a fool of lol.

commedieu

Banned
Facebook. Every single lady I've added on facebook to make sure I wasn't being hoodwinked. For example girl #3 I let my buddy see a few pics of her, he said, "I think she has the thickness." So I added her to fbook, and yup she is indeed a bit chubby, but had taken pics to hide it quite well.

I'm lucky that I've dated curvy women in the past, so it's not a big deal to me, but I do hate getting off on the wrong foot with lies, especially ones that make me feel you don't really love yourself, so it'd make it hard for you to get to that point with someone else. I've seen first hand people who just can't be happy with their partner, because they think they are "out of their league" and will leave them at some point due to looks.

So yeah, facebook or skype ladies in the future, but be suave and patient on setting it up.

Lets be honest here, I'd bang just about anything. Its just the dishonesty, as if I wouldn't notice? And by bang, I mean date/hangout/sex/have a good time. If people are cool, people are cool, and I don't mind. You hit the nail on the head with starting off on a lie, and everything else you said. Thats the way I take it, and its a confidence that I'm looking for in a girl, that the action completely goes against.

Will have to add-adding someone to facebook as a background check. Online-Dating gets so lame sometimes, christ.

Puckmarin

Banned
Same. My difference now is I just tend to always have scruffy facial hair versus 5-7 years ago.

What can you do though? People have self esteem issues, and a site like this for ladies with those issues, is fantastic since they'll get hit on and flirted with to help boost their confidence...right until they do get the date, and then have to wonder why he didn't want to talk again after. Handsome gentleman don't like to be made a fool of lol.

I met my wife via OKCupid but this was after years of so/so online dating experiences and I certainly have some very strong opinions regarding what you should and shouldn't do when online dating.

I'm a "success story" so maybe I'll type them up one day. I just don't want to give people advice that isn't wanted.

As for pictures, my theory was to always post pictures where you didn't quite look your best because if someone was attracted to one of those pictures they would certainly be attracted to the "real" you. This comes from a dude who doesn't take good photos...

Prologue

I met my wife via OKCupid but this was after years of so/so online dating experiences and I certainly have some very strong opinions regarding what you should and shouldn't do when online dating.

I'm a "success story" so maybe I'll type them up one day. I just don't want to give people advice that isn't wanted.

As for pictures, my theory was to always post pictures where you didn't quite look your best because if someone was attracted to one of those pictures they would certainly be attracted to the "real" you. This comes from a dude who doesn't take good photos...

I wouldn't mind hearing some advice. I'm sure others would appreciate it as well.

zlatko

Banned

I can't take a photo worth a shit, and any pics people snap up of me I swear I look like a douche canoe, so I know if ladies do flirt back with me on this site, then meet me in person, will be much more pleasantly surprised I'm sure haha.

You should definitely share any sage advice if you can, even if it is just small quick tips. Can't ever hurt. :)

Edit: @Max

Yeah lady 2 is definitely awesome, but until that first date happens I don't want to set my hopes up too high. Then if it bombs, I can brush it off easier. :p

gazele

Banned
My reasoning for not putting girls here on GAF is my name is Zlatko in real life, so it might be pretty easy to see I'm blowing them up online to strangers lol. I figure I'll respect their privacy somewhat ha.

Girl 2 is texting me at work now. Sharing pics of our nieces lol. :)

I'll post the pic of me later on here after work or on my lunch break.

@ gazele yo daaaamn. Nice. *internet bro fist*

Yeah, I'm not gonna put her picture on her, thanks guys :) super excited

Hopefully you guys find people too

ATF487

Pretty much fuck never. Unless I've been to the profile myself, then it's a super rare thing and generally from girls I don't find attractive at all.

Just have to grind as a duder I feel.

Hmm, ok. I made another profile a few days ago and I seem to have been getting a few visitors a day, only one message though.

If anyone has a spare few minutes, could you give me some feedback on my profile? I like the sparseness but I'm wondering if I should give a little more detail or not, since I've been visiting other people's profiles and sometimes can't find something interesting from their profile to comment on.

Ashodin

I can't take a photo worth a shit, and any pics people snap up of me I swear I look like a douche canoe, so I know if ladies do flirt back with me on this site, then meet me in person, will be much more pleasantly surprised I'm sure haha.

You should definitely share any sage advice if you can, even if it is just small quick tips. Can't ever hurt. :)

Edit: @Max

Yeah lady 2 is definitely awesome, but until that first date happens I don't want to set my hopes up too high. Then if it bombs, I can brush it off easier. :p

Yeah I know what you mean man. Sometimes it's agonizing waiting for messages though, you know? You just want to continue the conversation.

I'd love to hear the story, man.

Yeah, I'm not gonna put her picture on her, thanks guys :) super excited

Hopefully you guys find people too

I hope so too man. Your girl is gorgeous, I want to find one just like her. What are her and your shared interests, if you don't mind me asking?

Fëanor

I was thinking about messaging some girls today, then I noticed they aren't interested in meeting people outside of their color of skin. Oh well.

Ashodin

Fëanor;39689174 said:
I was thinking about messaging some girls today, then I noticed they aren't interested in meeting people outside of their color of skin. Oh well.

Aw that's some bullshit man.

The problem I have often is that I find this fucking awesome girl.

Then,

"I want guys taller than me." She's 5' 9".

Okay.png

Okay

:(

zlatko

Banned
Never run into that issue. I'm 6 feet tall. :D

Oh and as promised here is the pic of me

Z.jpg

Going to change that as my main one on OKC. Took it this morning before work.

gazele

Banned
I hope so too man. Your girl is gorgeous, I want to find one just like her. What are her and your shared interests, if you don't mind me asking?

We're both super sarcastic, literally 99% of what we say to each other we don't actually mean, tv shows, music, where we're from and are now, etc.

Jhoan

Fëanor;39689174 said:
Don't give up man. Keep fighting the good fight; I'm sure there's plenty of chicks love us colored people. They're just hating because they've probably never gone out with a Hispanic.

Never run into that issue. I'm 6 feet tall. :D

Oh and as promised here is the pic of me

Z.jpg

Going to change that as my main one on OKC. Took it this morning before work.

Holy crap! You're a pretty handsome guy! That's a pretty damn good picture. I don't run into the tall issue myself because I'm about 6''2-6''3.

Ashodin

We're both super sarcastic, literally 99% of what we say to each other we don't actually mean, tv shows, music, where we're from and are now, etc.

Nice man. It's an understanding that you both have together, then! :) I love when that happens.

EDIT: @TurkishEmperor: It's free, man. OKC you don't have to sign up to actually start contacting people.

Puckmarin

Banned
Puckmarin's Guide to Online Dating

Background

I met my wife via OKCupid in July 2011. We were married in Dec. 2011. We only dated for 3 of those six months. After dating for 3 months she dumped me to get back together with her ex. We remained friends and became best friends. Sometime in early December she realized that she was madly in love with me and just had to be married to me. She let me know this the Tuesday before Christmas. We were married in a courthouse wedding a week later and things have been great ever since.

I went from being totally single (with her dating the other dude) to being married in a week. It was awesome.

True Story.

Here's a picture from the wedding:

378834_272950402763228_100001448123915_756754_1141802305_n.jpg

Prior to falling madly in love with my wife and spending September - most of December in a deep depression I engaged in a lot of online dating. If I wasn't dating someone regularly I'd have at least one or two online dates every weekend. Sometimes both in the same day.

Advice (Take this with a grain of salt - it worked for me it may or may not work for you)

1) ALWAYS be honest and truthful in your dating profile. This also means posting accurate pictures and answering all of those OKCupid questions accurately.

2) Quickmatch is your friend. Once you have your profile set up use it. Rate women/men. Rate lots and lots of women/men. Sit down on the couch, start a movie on Netflix, and start rating people. Rate every woman/man in your geographic area. If you're the least bit attracted to them give them 4 or 5 stars.

Why?

The idea is that some of the women/men you rate highly will also rate you highly and you'll both get a cheesy introductory "you should email this person" email from OKCupid. At this point OKCupid has done some of the work for you. Email these people because you know there is at least a little attraction there.

3) Online dating is a numbers game. The more people you contact the more people could potentially write you back. Think of it this way - if you contact 50 people you are attracted to you may get 20 replies. If you reply to those 20 people, 10 of them might send you a second email. Of those 10 maybe 3-4 of them will turn into actual dates. Therefore, contact as many people as you can.

4) Regarding messages, I always found it useful to keep the message sort of short. Maybe a paragraph addressing something in their profile (books, activities, pets, etc...) and then a short paragraph about yourself. Make sure you leave some questions in there so that the person you are writing has a reason to write you back.

5) The whole point of online dating is to actually meet someone in REAL LIFE. Therefore, it's in your best interest to get communication away from OKC and to the phone/text as soon as possible. My rule of thumb was that I always gave people my phone number in the second message. This is also the message where I'd normally turn the conversation towards meeting up.

If I contacted someone during the week I'd always try to set up a date for that weekend. Sometimes even for later in the week if we could both agree on a night. There's no reason to waste your time on people who are hesitant to meet in person.

6) Along with #5 I always tried to keep communication to a minimum before physically meeting someone. My wife and I only sent a couple of text messages back and forth before meeting.

Why?

Lots of communication before a date tends to raise expectations and that never works out well. In all my experience in online dating the dates where I've talked to people a lot beforehand have never really worked out well. However, the dates where I've barely communicated with people always seemed to work really, really well.

7) Pictures - make sure they are accurate. As I said in another post, I don't photograph well. I always look weird. Anyway, I always put up pictures that weren't the greatest. Thought being that if someone was attracted to those they would certainly be attracted to me in real life.

8) The internet makes people weird. Online dating also makes people weird. Expect to encounter some odd people out there. Roll with it. It's only a date.

9) It's ONLY A DATE. Even if you aren't 100% sold on the person you are going to meet up with go out anyway. Worst case scenario you're out a bit of cash and a couple of hours. Who knows, you may hit it off with the person.

Finally...

10) Don't sell yourself short. If a person agrees to meet up with you then they must be attracted to you on some level. It took meeting my wife for me to realize this. First date we met for lunch. I walked in, saw her and was blown away. Super hot, lots of tattoos, totally not the type of woman who would normally go for me. All though lunch I kept telling myself that there was no way she would be interested in me. Well, lunch turned into a 5 hour date (which we both agree was the best first date we had ever been on) and 6 months later we were married.

About first date activities. Keep it simple. I always liked dinner & drinks (alcohol always helps everyone) or maybe coffee. Don't try to be too creative on the first date. Save that for later.

Hope this helps some people. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

zlatko

Banned
Thanks people, might use it too, looks good and since so many have experience with it, it wont scam me.

If you get REALLY lucky, you may even get a random guy on there to message you to want to give you oral sex. Someone here on GAF said all their stuff is set to guy seeking ladies, and still got hit on by a dude offering a blow jay.

Lucky GAF sure is lucky. ;)

Edit: One of the reasons I even made an OKC was reading over some of the hilarious pictures on the funny pics thread from OKC, where people make troll ass accounts to say stupid shit. I was hoping someone would troll me...turns out I'm now going on dates with chicks. So it worked out even better than I had hoped. :p

Darklord

Banned
Hmm, came across a profile. She's cute, has a detailed profile, into gaming, and yet her reply rate is "often". That seems odd. Normally those are always "very selective".

zlatko

Banned
Yeah she probably does...and yes. :p
May as well, even if my luck has been incredibly miserable on OKC recently.

I feel it goes like a roller coaster. Super productive week, be it a day or two, and then you'll have a week+ of just jack shit.

Persistence is key.

Darklord

Banned
I feel it goes like a roller coaster. Super productive week, be it a day or two, and then you'll have a week+ of just jack shit.

Persistence is key.

I was told a few weeks ago my photos were so bad they didn't even read my profile. That kinda bummed me out but I got my dad's proper camera, took a new shot. Much more colorful, clear, better than my other ones...yeah, still no luck. I even came across 2 girls that were into all the same stuff as me with like a 92% match, they both viewed my profile and never replied. Bah! I do pretty decent messages now as well but even if I get a reply, even a very positive one, it dies off quickly. I went from having pretty decent luck to just flat lined.

This site is so weird. The best date I've had since joining was this hot, confident, funny girl who contacted ME. Like...what did she see that everyone else didn't? I get no messages from women except for the odd one or two I'm not interested in and then this one 10/10. I wish there were more like her. :s

zlatko

Banned
I was told a few weeks ago my photos were so bad they didn't even read my profile. That kinda bummed me out but I got my dad's proper camera, took a new shot. Much more colorful, clear, better than my other ones...yeah, still no luck. I even came across 2 girls that were into all the same stuff as me with like a 92% match, they both viewed my profile and never replied. Bah! I do pretty decent messages now as well but even if I get a reply, even a very positive one, it dies off quickly. I went from having pretty decent luck to just flat lined.

This site is so weird. The best date I've had since joining was this hot, confident, funny girl who contacted ME. Like...what did she see that everyone else didn't? I get no messages from women except for the odd one or two I'm not interested in and then this one 10/10. I wish there were more like her. :s

Well here's a "trick" you could try to maybe get it past the messaging phase next time. Get about 3-5 messages going that are good, then on the next one follow up with what she said, and say, "I have to head off, feel free to text me @ xxx xxxx :)"

I did that to two and it worked fine. The other two gave me their numbers first to text them, so yeah.

It could be your area too. You never know. My buddy can't find one chick(granted he's a stubborn and gives up fuck fast dude) in his area that is cute he said. Was saying they were all unnattractive. His lack of patience is what is fucking him over.

Don't let this get you down. Other things you can do is constantly switch up your profile pic, explain some of your question answers, answer more questions, tidy up the profile more, and try to search one age at a time (22's, then 23's, then 24's) so you can find more results for that age chunk instead of the less you see doing a 21-24 search.

Darklord

Banned
Well here's a "trick" you could try to maybe get it past the messaging phase next time. Get about 3-5 messages going that are good, then on the next one follow up with what she said, and say, "I have to head off, feel free to text me @ xxx xxxx :)"

I did once. She was flirty and said I looked like some famous(?) singer who I never heard of. I did that and...never heard back. -_-

try to search one age at a time (22's, then 23's, then 24's) so you can find more results for that age chunk instead of the less you see doing a 21-24 search.

Yeah, I could try that. What are your first messages like? I normally keep it fairly short, ask a question or two and mention a couple things on her profile that I was interested in.

tearsofash

So, I have two dates from Okcupid this week.

Tonight I'm going out with a friend I fingered my freshmen year of college back in 2005. I kind of just want to catch up, it sounds like a lot has happened to both of us since then.

Then I have one Thursday. I'm not sure whether it's a hookup, or if she's crazy, but I have to find out some how. She messages me, we start texting and she starts sending me provocative pictures and the line of conversation eventually got pretty uh.. "heated." We stayed up til 6am teasing each other. She mentioned a few times that she hopes it goes somewhere. I dunno, maybe I'm just not used to the female taking the initiative.

zlatko

Banned
I did once. She was flirty and said I looked like some famous(?) singer who I never heard of. I did that and...never heard back. -_-

Yeah, I could try that. What are your first messages like? I normally keep it fairly short, ask a question or two and mention a couple things on her profile that I was interested in.

Yeah I try to find something I can make humor out of. If humor is not on the page, then I ask about something on it like majors in college, what drove them to it, etc.

Basically a start out that is funny, a question, and then one lone sentence at the end asking if they did anything fun this weekend, or if a weekend is coming up, what they are doing for it.

Pretty basic shit.

Ashodin

Yeah I've messaged over thirty women in the past week and only got about 6 to message me back, so that is pretty much the correct ratio up there.

The problem is I've sent so many messages to women who were "replies often" and I haven't gotten shit back. WTF?

There's so many potential matches, I just need them to message me back, fuck lol.

Tonight I'm going out with a friend I fingered my freshmen year of college back in 2005. I kind of just want to catch up, it sounds like a lot has happened to both of us since then.

Then I have one Thursday. I'm not sure whether it's a hookup, or if she's crazy, but I have to find out some how. She messages me, we start texting and she starts sending me provocative pictures and the line of conversation eventually got pretty uh.. "heated." We stayed up til 6am teasing each other. She mentioned a few times that she hopes it goes somewhere. I dunno, maybe I'm just not used to the female taking the initiative.

I LOVE the female taking the initiative. Turns me on greatly. Need to find a woman like that.

zlatko

Banned

U2zKY.gif

I demand details of how each played out lol. :p

Ultima_5

I did that to two and it worked fine. The other two gave me their numbers first to text them, so yeah.

It could be your area too. You never know. My buddy can't find one chick(granted he's a stubborn and gives up fuck fast dude) in his area that is cute he said. Was saying they were all unnattractive. His lack of patience is what is fucking him over.

Don't let this get you down. Other things you can do is constantly switch up your profile pic, explain some of your question answers, answer more questions, tidy up the profile more, and try to search one age at a time (22's, then 23's, then 24's) so you can find more results for that age chunk instead of the less you see doing a 21-24 search.

It might be better for your to simply ask for the number. I could see it being a turn off/uncomfortable for some women to have to initiate the conversation. My last gf never texted me first until we were in the relationship. She said something about wanting to be wanted or some bs. Plus it keeps the ball in your court.

zlatko

Banned
It might be better for your to simply ask for the number. I could see it being a turn off/uncomfortable for some women to have to initiate the conversation. My last gf never texted me first until we were in the relationship. She said something about wanting to be wanted or some bs. Plus it keeps the ball in your court.

If you ask, word it correctly then. I haven't been not texted back yet when I left mine though.

"hey I gotta head out, want me to text you instead?"

If she says yes and gives it to you, then there you go.

tearsofash

I demand details of how each played out lol. :p

Well, the second one she's already assuming she's spending the night. So, you can probably use your imagination on that. I've been planting seeds of really kinky shit, and she's going for it. I'm sure I'll have a great story to share.

The first one I'm not so sure about. I think she might still be on the rebound from breaking up with her fiance.

zlatko

Banned
Well, the second one she's already assuming she's spending the night. So, you can probably use your imagination on that. I've been planting seeds of really kinky shit, and she's going for it. I'm sure I'll have a great story to share.

The first one I'm not so sure about. I think she might still be on the rebound from breaking up with her fiance.

Ruh roh on the 2nd one. If she finds out where you live, but you hit it off with your ex again...you may be opening up a can of worms. Any way you can bring the party in your pants to her house?

Ashodin

You are going to fuck something soon my man. Cheers.

tearsofash

Ruh roh on the 2nd one. If she finds out where you live, but you hit it off with your ex again...you may be opening up a can of worms. Any way you can bring the party in your pants to her house?

My "ex" you're referring to lives in Nashville. I live thirty minutes away. Can of worms are perfectly fine, though. Keeps life exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom