• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlatko

Banned
Oh no no, you read that wrong. He sent me his message, then I looked over it, determined it was kind of... off, then advised him that he could throw in a saving grace message.

zlatko: I have sent two messages to women before on the site and I got replies. It just has to do with how you set it up. The second message could be a punch line to a joke, or something similar.

Ah with all the bad shit you hear about women getting on that site for messages, I just never want to possibly be part of the reason of bugging chicks. I feel my messages are always ace and 1/3 reply which I feel is a solid number.

If you've been able to turn them around around though, then there's hope for him yet I suppose. Personally, I'd send as many messages out as I could and not nit pick the shit out of profiles. See if you got a few things in common, spark up a convo, and see where that takes you. Actually chatting with each other can lead to someone awesome you may have normally blown off just looking at %ages and ticks on your box of needs.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
If you've been able to turn them around around though, then there's hope for him yet I suppose.
logoNeoGAF.gif

zlatko said:
Personally, I'd send as many messages out as I could and not nit pick the shit out of profiles. See if you got a few things in common, spark up a convo, and see where that takes you. Actually chatting with each other can lead to someone awesome you may have normally blown off just looking at %ages and ticks on your box of needs.
I'm trying to be less picky. It wasn't like I messaged thie woman only; in the past week I also contacted three others, one of which responded. This one just seemed the most compatible, disregarding %.

crush7337

Banned
I think the success in this thread is contagious. Date from last night texts me today and asks how my day is going and how she can't wait to go out again. Only downside is I have to wait until Friday. I haven't clicked this well with a girl in a while.

If you would have told me weeks ago that I'd give up on seeing TDKR opening weekend I would have laughed. We both agreed that movie dates aren't great and plus its going to be mobbed all weekend, so I'm willingly holding off on seeing it.

Ashodin

I think the success in this thread is contagious. Date from last night texts me today and asks how my day is going and how she can't wait to go out again. Only downside is I have to wait until Friday. I haven't clicked this well with a girl in a while.

Grind_My_Gears-hcxvqu-d.jpg

This is what the thread is about son!

EDIT:::::::::

Whelp, looks like I get to stay another day at her place (she wants me there bad), and apparently we're going to see Batman tomorrow night at midnight showing. FUCK YEAH.

zlatko

Banned
See, this is my problem. I've be out of women in my city after a week messaging 5 every day. I guess America has way more users.

Tried the age trick? If so, then hit up match.com. If all else fails that site is worth the price of admission. There's way more ladies on there from what I saw.

Hylian7

Is there some reason it's suddenly frequently showing me people 130+ miles away from me? I've also never lived in this city either. Any idea what gives?

Darklord

Banned
Tried the age trick? If so, then hit up match.com. If all else fails that site is worth the price of admission. There's way more ladies on there from what I saw.

Yeah I tried that. Found more but not that many more. Match.com is DEAD here. I looked it up, probably like...20 women on in the last 2 weeks. I tried RSVP which is an Australian one and one of the biggest here but you have to pay to be able to message people($10 per person you contact!!) meaning you have to send free "kisses" to them first and that seems impossible to get a positive reply with.

zlatko

Banned
Yeah I tried that. Found more but not that many more. Match.com is DEAD here. I looked it up, probably like...20 women on in the last 2 weeks. I tried RSVP which is an Australian one and one of the biggest here but you have to pay to be able to message people($10 per person you contact!!) meaning you have to send free "kisses" to them first and that seems impossible to get a positive reply with.

Yeah I haven't paid money for match.com, but I looked at it the other day and I had a wink from a chick who was not cute at all. :(

That's just the shittiness of living in a less populated area. You gotta dig deeper. If you run out of people to contact then you are just SOL.

Is there some reason it's suddenly frequently showing me people 130+ miles away from me? I've also never lived in this city either. Any idea what gives?

Did you set your preferences to "located near me"? If so, then there are no more matches in your area (that you haven't already hidden/messaged).

sphinx

the piano man
Did you set your preferences to "located near me"? If so, then there are no more matches in your area (that you haven't already hidden/messaged).

if people in US set the preference to "located near me" and I am far away in a shithole in Europe and visit their profile, will it appear that I visited them or OKC is such an asshole that they won't even see I've visited them?

Ashodin

Yeah I haven't paid money for match.com, but I looked at it the other day and I had a wink from a chick who was not cute at all. :(

That's just the shittiness of living in a less populated area. You gotta dig deeper. If you run out of people to contact then you are just SOL.

I'd say the biggest thing is set a maximum driving distance for you. If you don't mind driving three hours, go for it. You may be able to convince one or the other about moving closer, then happiness ensues.

Jhoan

You tell her you got plenty of friends. PEACE!

My intent with the first girl I went on a date with was more than friends seeing as how my shit is set to looking for a relationship/dating. Just turns out that we're going to be friends now due to how it played out.

I'm not on OKC, nor should anyone REALLY be, to JUST make friends.

I agree. I think that chick was judging me by the video that I have posted on my profile which I feel like removing because that's detracting me. If I approach it like I would a WRPG, I can either give her a douche bag/sarcastic response, a nice response and respect it, or just flat out ignore it.

I do feel like a woman shouldn't automatically dismiss a guy based on his profile; if the chemistry isn't there in person, then I'll decide whether or not to befriend her, keep dating her, or just cut off all contact. On the other hand, I don't really have any female friends other than on Facebook but that's not the point.

I'm starting to get frustrated by it because I over think about what to send out in a message. I have to remember though, that just like an RPG, I gotta keep on grinding.

What do the rest of you think?

I agree. I think that chick was judging me by the video that I have posted on my profile which I feel like removing because that's detracting me. If I approach it like I would a WRPG, I can either give her a douche bag/sarcastic response, a nice response and respect it, or just flat out ignore it.

I do feel like a woman shouldn't automatically dismiss a guy based on his profile; if the chemistry isn't there in person, then I'll decide whether or not to befriend her, keep dating her, or just cut off all contact. On the other hand, I don't really have any female friends other than on Facebook but that's not the point.

I'm starting to get frustrated by it because I over think about what to send out in a message. I have to remember though, that just like an RPG, I gotta keep on grinding.

What do the rest of you think?

I wouldn't fret about what to send in a message. What I always found works is to just say hey, pinpoint a few things in the profile, and then send away. Then when she messages you back, just piggy back off of that and let the conversation flow. Sometimes the 2nd message is harder than the first, but I like the fact that you can expand more on it. Throw a story, a joke or whatever to show off your personality. But always keep the first message simple...like an icebreaker.

Jhoan

Well, we were making RPG metaphors, so I joined in on the fun. And I'm 27.
It's all fun and games here any way; we're all out to help each other ala the Dating-Age thread. Can't we all lighten up a bit? :D I like making gaming metaphors to life. Also if anyone asks, I'm 24.

To make another reference within the context of this thread, online dating is like Dark Souls; you don't know what's on the other side of the fog door until you step in and find out. We're all going at it alone outside of GAF, but yet everyone is going for the same goal: to message a chick, get a date, and see if things click.
I wouldn't fret about what to send in a message. What I always found works is to just say hey, pinpoint a few things in the profile, and then send away. Then when she messages you back, just piggy back off of that and let the conversation flow. Sometimes the 2nd message is harder than the first, but I like the fact that you can expand more on it. Throw a story, a joke or whatever to show off your personality. But always keep the first message simple...like an icebreaker.

I see. I over think about being funny in particular. I have to let that stuff go. It's the same thing when I hesitate about wanting to talk to someone on Facebook, hover over the person's name, but back out. Like with anything else, the best thing to do is take the plunge and not think about so much.

Lucis

Not sure how people does this.

Never had problem getting girls IRL, but I would never success on this online dating thing.

scotcheggz

Do you live around me? Which Williamsburg?

I agree with zlatko. She wanted to kiss you man. You should have made your move.

yo zlatko. During Seven Times™, i just remembered her remarks were "Oooh, I'm gonna have to get you a key to my place..."

ahahahaha I love remembering so many details I left out

No offense meant, but if someone said that to me after one night of filthy mattress messin I'd run for the hills lol.

HiResDes

I'm nearly at the one hundred sent messages mark, with little to no copypasta. I've been texting one girl, skyping another late at night, and another the one I'm really interested in just got out of a relationship apparently and wants to take it slow after having two bad initial OKcupid dates.

NIGHT-

Did you get some? If so, fuck yeah man.

Tonight's my next date. We're spending the entire time on her bed. Infer what you will.

Yea I did! And it was pretty amazing. But.. Apparently that's all she wanted, at least from me. Up until today she'd text me all day chatting about everything. And today she's barely had any contact at all. What messages she did send were 1 or 2 word messages. Could be worse though. At least I had a awesome night

zlatko

Banned
Yea I did! And it was pretty amazing. But.. Apparently that's all she wanted, at least from me. Up until today she'd text me all day chatting about everything. And today she's barely had any contact at all. What messages she did send were 1 or 2 word messages. Could be worse though. At least I had a awesome night

Maybe something else is going on man. Perhaps she's having a shitty day and you aren't digging to find out. ;)

LProtag

I've kinda run out of people I'm interested in messaging.

Also I've done the double message once, when a girl stopped talking to me. Got a continuation of our normal chat (really long messages) with an apology about being busy. Haven't gotten a response to my response for like 2 weeks though, so I give up.

HiResDes

I've kinda run out of people I'm interested in messaging.

Also I've done the double message once, when a girl stopped talking to me. Got a continuation of our normal chat (really long messages) with an apology about being busy. Haven't gotten a response to my response for like 2 weeks though, so I give up.

Like I said before most of the women on there seem to be conditioned in such a way to be extremely fickle...It's like trying to hit on a female bartender, even if she'd be relatively unattractive in another scenario in the bar she gets hit on by the minute.

NIGHT-

Maybe something else is going on man. Perhaps she's having a shitty day and you aren't digging to find out. ;)

Maybe I'm jumping the gun. Even though we've only talked about a week she's been pretty consistent with the way she messages. She literally likes to keep a conversation going.

I'll just put it in the past and move on unless something happens on her part. OKC has been interesting so far, just very limited, at least here in Arkansas.

Biff

Well, we were making RPG metaphors, so I joined in on the fun. And I'm 27.

I'm really starting to think you're a joke poster who is attempting to post as McLovin. I'm being 100% serious.

I don't know the Superbad movie too well but I'm guessing there are far too many similarities between your stories and the plot... The impossibly old age, clinginess, desparation, sexual innuendos in every other sentence you type. Even your avatar looks identical to McLovin.

If you are a real person and not trolling us then seriously dude, you are going to fuck up your new relationship if you don't slow it down with her. How she is your "girlfriend" after one date is absolute insanity. I'm really not trying to be mean here, and I'm sorry if it comes across that way... I would hate to see another Gaffer get hurt as bad as I think you're about to when she is inevitably scared off by you.

If you are indeed a joke poster then bravo. This is probably the best I've ever seen on GAF.

railGUN

Banned
I'm really starting to think you're a joke poster who is attempting to post as McLovin. I'm being 100% serious.

I don't know the Superbad movie too well but I'm guessing there are far too many similarities between your stories and the plot... The impossibly old age, clinginess, desparation, sexual innuendos in every other sentence you type. Even your avatar looks identical to McLovin.

If you are a real person and not trolling us then seriously dude, you are going to fuck up your new relationship if you don't slow it down with her. How she is your "girlfriend" after one date is absolute insanity. I'm really not trying to be mean here, and I'm sorry if it comes across that way... I would hate to see another Gaffer get hurt as bad as I think you're about to when she is inevitably scared off by you.

If you are indeed a joke poster then bravo. This is probably the best I've ever seen on GAF.

LOL, I thought the exact same thing.

scotcheggz

I'm nearly at the one hundred sent messages mark, with little to no copypasta. I've been texting one girl, skyping another late at night, and another the one I'm really interested in just got out of a relationship apparently and wants to take it slow after having two bad initial OKcupid dates.

That sounds alright! With two bad dates under her belt, you get the chance to sweep her off her feet!

Ashodin

I like your style, sir. However, I am not a joke poster. I have gotten people to tell me I look like McLuvin.

However, I will say one thing: every person is different, and every relationship is different. What works for one doesn't work for another.

The fact that her and I match up so closely is entirely the reason why it's working so well, and it's not like I'm over there every day. Sunday was a very limited time spent with her - we met, we ate, we coalesced, and today is going to be extended time with her - to see if we really click as much as we do in a limited setting. I really think it will work out though, she's exactly like me, and I can anticipate her needs accordingly.

I don't get what's so hard about it - haven't you ever heard of love at first sight? Or even the poster earlier in this thread who married his wife in 2 months of meeting her. That is incredibly fast.

Al-ibn Kermit

This is basically what I was trying to say, but more blunt. You two hit it off fast but you still want to take it slow enough to know what the hell is going on.

I don't get what's so hard about it - haven't you ever heard of love at first sight? Or even the poster earlier in this thread who married his wife in 2 months of meeting her. That is incredibly fast.

The people I see falling in love the fastest are also usually the most desperate. I'm not saying you are desperate, but you're getting a bit too romantic in how you're telling your story.

Ultima_5

LOL, I thought the exact same thing.

Chalk me up as another skeptic haha.

This whole situation reminds me a similar thing that happened in the girl age thread a few months ago when a guy got his first gf and his ego skyrocketed. He started giving advice like he was a pro. A few days/weeks later they broke up and he was an emotional wreck. Shit was awkward.

I like your style, sir. However, I am not a joke poster. I have gotten people to tell me I look like McLuvin.

However, I will say one thing: every person is different, and every relationship is different. What works for one doesn't work for another.

The fact that her and I match up so closely is entirely the reason why it's working so well, and it's not like I'm over there every day. Sunday was a very limited time spent with her - we met, we ate, we coalesced, and today is going to be extended time with her - to see if we really click as much as we do in a limited setting. I really think it will work out though, she's exactly like me, and I can anticipate her needs accordingly.

Love at first sight is usually just lust man. I'm glad things seem to be working out for you man, but it's really early. Temper expectations a bit. The constant sexual innuendos are also pretty unnecessary...

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I've got to agree with some of the others here a bit Max, you could be in for a huge crash in the wall if you are going fast and everything could back crash later in life and you'd be paying for it. Just be a little cautious and take your time in some regards :)

zlatko

Banned
Yo damn! GAF is going in on Max! I agree if you go too fast you crash and burn, but I don't see what is going on with Max as too fast in the actual encounters with her thus far. He may have his head/heart in the clouds about her, but if they take the actual approach with each other slow and steady it'll be fine.

Besides, if he DID find the woman of his dreams and vice versa, then great! If not, and it blows up, then depression GAF will pick up the pieces. :p

I would have to agree with everyone saying to slow it down. The worst thing you can do at this point is peak too early because if you're gunning for the long run, it might be over pretty soon. It's never a bad idea to take it slow.

I mean though if banging like rabbits is what she wants and think that will make the relationship healthy, then I'd say you found yourself a hell of a woman.

zlatko

Banned
I would have to agree with everyone saying to slow it down. The worst thing you can do at this point is peak too early because if you're gunning for the long run, it might be over pretty soon. It's never a bad idea to take it slow.

I mean though if banging like rabbits is what she wants and think that will make the relationship healthy, then I'd say you found yourself a hell of a woman.

Can't argue with that.

Most of us are just genuinely making sure you probably don't experience with some of us probably have with this fuck awesome fast period with a girl, then it all comes tumbling down and you feel shittier than any other break up ever. Like a lost little puppy. NEVER AGAIN!

...in other news I think I made a huge mistake.gif.

I kept talking to other girls, and messaged a new one yesterday. I saw she was cute and had a green mushroom tattoo. We get to talking more and more and she's a super nerd like myself. Now I'm like fuck...since girl 1 is also nerdy, but in no way is she reading batman comics, plays starcraft 2 as a protoss, and watched full metal alchemist as well.

The world is a cruel place! Why couldn't girl 1 just want to hang out more so I could figure shit out with her? Since the truth is girl 1 is insanely good looking, and was great to be around, but it fucking SUCKS giant donkey balls she doesn't want to hang out when I know she isn't mega busy on evenings like myself. I mean shit I make time for other people in my life too and am readily busy, but when I'm into someone I'd like to give them a little more attention to see if things can blossom.

What do GAF? :(

Ashodin

Yo damn! GAF is going in on Max! I agree if you go too fast you crash and burn, but I don't see what is going on with Max as too fast in the actual encounters with her thus far. He may have his head/heart in the clouds about her, but if they take the actual approach with each other slow and steady it'll be fine.

Besides, if he DID find the woman of his dreams and vice versa, then great! If not, and it blows up, then depression GAF will pick up the pieces. :p

I'm fine guys. In fact, right now we're watching inglorious basterds and putting together legos.

We've just been chilling at her place all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom