• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this is sort of weird and I figured I'd share. I was just messing around looking for people nearby and I came across the girl that the OP mentioned.

So I took some pictures that are me in my best light (which is still not much, but whatever). I'm about ready to post my profile.

Looking it over, I have every field filled out. It looks like... a lot. Should I have everything filled out? Or does that show I have too much time on my hands?

Veritas_

So I took some pictures that are me in my best light (which is still not much, but whatever). I'm about ready to post my profile.

Looking it over, I have every field filled out. It looks like... a lot. Should I have everything filled out? Or does that show I have too much time on my hands?

Fill it all out but make sure it's succinct and relevant. An empty profile is a immediate turn off for me - it tells me that you aren't taking the site seriously. If you're unsure about anything, don't hesitate to ask for a review from friends, GAF, whatever. We're all here to help.

Fill it all out but make sure it's succinct and relevant. An empty profile is a immediate turn off for me - it tells me that you aren't taking the site seriously. If you're unsure about anything, don't hesitate to ask for a review from friends, GAF, whatever. We're all here to help.

Great. Thanks! :)

Jabo

Haha....consider yourself lucky. I just went through EVERY girl who had been on in the past week within 50 miles of me and I only came up with 5 I was even interested in messaging. So basically, I'll never get a response.

Oh man that sucks :/

I got 3 replies from VERY attractive girls (my standards are pretty high sharp knees and all) but I didn't know where to take it from and just felt "what's the point? something bad will happen and ruin this anyways" and stopped responding.

Gaf I'm a mess :(

Jabo

ok :(

Pretty sure I'll be back here again and emo to you guys over how it failed.

Edit: One girl looked like whatsherface from After School >__> shes older than me by a couple of years though.

Ashhong

ok :(

Pretty sure I'll be back here again and emo to you guys over how it failed.

Edit: One girl looked like whatsherface from After School >__> shes older than me by a couple of years though.

At least you talked to her and can either learn from it, or not regret it. How can it fail so hard? If they seem to respond to you, take it easy and casual. I guess you could fail in person.

Which person? There's like 9 lol.

And damn you GAF, I asked 2 girls semi quick if they wanted to meet up or whatnot, and one hasnt responded, while the other kindly said not yet etc etc. I was worried that I scared her off. She was pretty nice about it at least. Really hope the other one responds with at least a decline or something.

Jabo

Oh no no I meant as in "my luck is fucking shit and usually something bad will happen" but not as in I can't talk to her in person or not. I don't have any problem talking to the ladies at all (maybe my bad looks play part of this? dunno)

uhhhhh the one with the stronk cheekbones, forgot her name. Nana I think. Been a while since I listened to After school lol

Ashhong

Well if you have no problem finding ladies, you shouldn't stress too much. You're bound to run into some good luck sometime!

Nana is the tall, supermodel like one. GO FOR IT haha.

dralla

Well i took some of the advice on here and pushed the meet up a lot quicker then usual. Yesterday morning I messaged someone, we exchanged maybe 5 or so messages, then I asked for her number, then 10 text's in I arranged for a meet up and she agreed! all in just one day, I'm meeting her tonight. unfortunately she lives kinda far from me, gonna be a good 45+ minute drive :( oh well!

RedAssedApe

Banned
Well i took some of the advice on here and pushed the meet up a lot quicker then usual. Yesterday morning I messaged someone, we exchanged maybe 5 or so messages, then I asked for her number, then 10 text's in I arranged for a meet up and she agreed! all in just one day, I'm meeting her tonight. unfortunately she lives kinda far from me, gonna be a good 45+ minute drive :( oh well!

Good luck. Hope its a worth the drive.

Ashhong

Is there anyway to browse without being shown as online? I tend to leave my page on in a tab..dont want to look like I have no life and am on okc all day long

Seguin

Banned

45 minutes? Wow she better put out

Ashhong

Related question...do you show up as online if you are accessing OKC via mobile app?

I think. Saw a favorite of mine was online, and then I got a message from her and it said sent from OKC mobile app. Sucks!

Also, how come their premium service states invisible browsing + still seeing visitors as a feature? I can do that without paying..

Necrovex

Da fuck? That pretty much sums up girls in the online dating space for me. LOL

Your quote reminded me how a OKC girl who I chose to ignore kept harassing me. Hell, I remember being at a Starbucks reading a book, and she appeared at the same place. Took out her phone and started to ask if I was the guy who was ignoring her. I made it obvious that I wasn't too interested in her during that brief conversation. Then she messaged me a week later, still trying to get me to be with her.

Though, I should probably be happy that was the *worst* person. I know, for some, it is far worse.

Ashhong

wtf she found you at a Starbucks???

edit: why do girls not respond when they see your message? I see they have come online before, but dont respond. They wait like a day or 2 to finally respond. Is it usually because they just have so many messages to respond to? Or because they dont want to seem desperate and respond fast?

Right after I got a "We chose each other!" 4-5 star rating message from a local girl she messaged me to say that she too is going to a concert that I mentioned in my profile, and after exchanging a few messages I learned that she was going by herself. So in the last message I sent her I included a line about how we should go together (it's in about 2 weeks), and her next message responded to everything but that line. I'm assuming that my next step should be to ask her to do something with me before the concert so we can get to know each other, but it's been a few days and I still haven't. I know that I want alcohol to be involved but I don't know what to suggest... Bar? Restaurant? A pint of Jameson underneath a bridge? What would a normal human do here?

So today I finally messaged this girl about meeting up and she responded in favor of the idea but specified that she's initially/primarily looking for friendship. So I was like "kk w/e bb me 2" but we'll see. Gonna pick a bar, I guess, for this weekend, and if that goes well we'll be headed to NY together in two weeks for the concert.

Ashhong

So today I finally messaged this girl about meeting up and she responded in favor of the idea but specified that she's initially/primarily looking for friendship. So I was like "kk w/e bb me 2" but we'll see. Gonna pick a bar, I guess, for this weekend, and if that goes well we'll be headed to NY together in two weeks for the concert.

Is this serious?
lol.gif
If a girl talked to me like that I would probably stop talking to her. That's too much

Jabo

edit: why do girls not respond when they see your message? I see they have come online before, but dont respond. They wait like a day or 2 to finally respond. Is it usually because they just have so many messages to respond to? Or because they dont want to seem desperate and respond fast?

Preeeeeeettttyyyy fucking much what happened to me with all of them.

I'm getting more responses now but I really need to fill my profile (all of it is empty except the 6 things I could never do with out) :/

Ashhong

Preeeeeeettttyyyy fucking much what happened to me with all of them.

I'm getting more responses now but I really need to fill my profile (all of it is empty except the 6 things I could never do with out) :/

They take so long I lose hope and think they don't like me, and that's fine. But then they message days later! Not cool girls. There's no goddamn rule you have to abide by.

Necrovex

wtf she found you at a Starbucks???

Yup. Online dating can be dangerous!

See I have high standards and this is bad news on the free sites.

That's a major problem for me, I would be swimming in OKC girls if I chose to lower my standards. I get a good deal of traffic from average-looking women, but hot damn, I won't lower my standards!

Necrovex

Hold up, let me get this straight. So she went to a Starbucks knowing you were there? Or she happened to be there and just recognized you? Hilarious!

I'm hoping it's the latter. Still, it is hilarious, regardless of the situation, and I wouldn't have that story to tell if it wasn't for Okcupid.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I think. Saw a favorite of mine was online, and then I got a message from her and it said sent from OKC mobile app. Sucks!

Also, how come their premium service states invisible browsing + still seeing visitors as a feature? I can do that without paying..

Hrmm...you shouldn't be able to actually. Normally when you turn on anonymous browsing it also turns off your ability to see whose viewing your profile. Maybe you lucked out. :)

I'm hoping it's the latter. Still, it is hilarious, regardless of the situation, and I wouldn't have that story to tell if it wasn't for Okcupid.

Speaking of which...has anyone used the Meet people nearby/Set Your Broadcast feature for the mobile apps? I'm too scared too try. Don't want to any stalkers haha

Ashhong

Hrmm...you shouldn't be able to actually. Normally when you turn on anonymous browsing it also turns off your ability to see whose viewing your profile. Maybe you lucked out. :)

That's what I thought. In the settings it clearly says

Invisible browsing — you still see Visitors! in pink. Maybe a benefit for old time users? Made an account years ago and never used it. When I set invisible mode on my phone though it makes it so I cant see my visitors haha. Oh well, not complaining.

edit: man, that feeling you get when someone you are really interested in messages you back right away AND chats with you. feels good man.

mjc

I'm just about ready to abandon OKC. I've been on it for over a month and only two or three girls have responded to my messages. (I made the messages short but personalized inviting for conversation) I think I'm gonna go full on with match.com, I've been getting much better luck there.

You know the tasks OKCupid gives you, like "use 1000 words or more" or "answer 100 questions" etc.? I think I became a mod because I did all of that. A day after I had no more tasks, I got a message thanking me for being active and that I can now moderate.

It's pretty underwhelming. All a mod does is go to a page where a piece of flagged content (a flagged profile, message, or picture) appears, and you cast your vote on whether or not it should be deleted, then the page is refreshed with the next item.

If a message is flagged, then the entire conversation is shown with the flagger remaining anonymous. No rules were presented to me saying I can't share them, but I don't think it's a good idea to do so. I will say most of the flagged messages amount to overt sexual remarks like "let's xxx," people revealing they're underage, advertisements/spam, or people flipping out and using harassing or hate language. Many reports come that aren't against the rules, but make users feel uncomfortable, like "hey sexy" or "I can smell/taste you through the monitor."

If an image is flagged, it's removed from the main site while the mods vote on it. Most of those are pictures of pets, meme images, and images of celebrities or random people on the Internet (found via Google reverse image search), and there were a couple penises.

DrBo42

You know the tasks OKCupid gives you, like "use 1000 words or more" or "answer 100 questions" etc.? I think I became a mod because I did all of that. A day after I had no more tasks, I got a message thanking me for being active and that I can now moderate.

It's pretty underwhelming. All a mod does is go to a page where a piece of flagged content (a flagged profile, message, or picture) appears, and you cast your vote on whether or not it should be deleted, then the page is refreshed with the next item.

If a message is flagged, then the entire conversation is shown with the flagger remaining anonymous. No rules were presented to me saying I can't share them, but I don't think it's a good idea to do so. I will say most of the flagged messages amount to overt sexual remarks like "let's xxx," people revealing they're underage, advertisements/spam, or people flipping out and using harassing or hate language. Many reports come that aren't against the rules, but make users feel uncomfortable, like "hey sexy" or "I can smell/taste you through the monitor."

If an image is flagged, it's removed from the main site while the mods vote on it. Most of those are pictures of pets, meme images, and images of celebrities or random people on the Internet (found via Google reverse image search), and there were a couple penises.

Sounds like the League of Legends Tribunal system, but with dick pics.

Ashhong

Huh, I dont think I have seen those tasks and stuff. Where are those?

Lol..I figured as much. Can't believe guys think that works.

Hey all. A super hot girl msg'd me on OKC, and we have been messaging back and forth with one line per message. Her replies are usually very terse. I didn't read that I should have the digits on message two, so it's too late for that. Do I just give her mine to text me, or should I ask for hers? Or both, perhaps?

Ashhong

Despite it being terse, how are the messages? I find that terse messages mean no real connection. I would just ask for her number personally. And that message 2 rule is bullshit. All girls are different

commedieu

Banned
Hey all. A super hot girl msg'd me on OKC, and we have been messaging back and forth with one line per message. Her replies are usually very terse. I didn't read that I should have the digits on message two, so it's too late for that. Do I just give her mine to text me, or should I ask for hers? Or both, perhaps?

By message 2? Weird, I usually do about 3 or 4. Kinda just depends on whats what.

Getting the # kinda lends itself towards the way of the conversation.. theres usually a point where you're getting a # to text (since its such a hard task to type online) or plans, or a phone call.

You can't lose anything by just throwing the idea out there. If she says no, or it makes it weird, thats that and you've dodged a bullet that is wasting your time.

Ashhong

Yea I can only see 3 scenarios coming out from asking for her number.

1. She refuses, saying it's too soon and she wants to wait. That's fine with me.
2. She refuses/ignores, showing she has no interest in you.
3. She accepts and you go on your merry way.

Either way, nothing really to lose.

I only mentioned the message 2 "rule" because I read it on one of the pages in this thread! Okay, I will msg her tomorrow and try to seal the deal. Wish me luck.

Spammed like 10 others tonight. Hopefully some reply. This is really hard work, finding something interesting to write in a message. Exhausting.

Ashhong

I only mentioned the message 2 "rule" because I read it on one of the pages in this thread! Okay, I will msg her tomorrow and try to seal the deal. Wish me luck.

Spammed like 10 others tonight. Hopefully some reply. This is really hard work, finding something interesting to write in a message. Exhausting.

Yea I know, just telling you that's a shitty rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom