• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

1 and 2 are that simple. I always use the same template.
"Hi, i really liked blah blah blah. Would love to get to know you better. Message me back if you'd like to talk blah blah" . Ez. Depending on what you compliment, I almost always at least get a message back saying thank you or something similar.

Darklord

Banned
I hope it works out with this girl I'm meeting on Sunday cause fuck I'm sick of OKC. When I look back it's SO much time and effort. Sending message after message, fixing up my profile, getting good photos, exchanging numbers, making dates, all for a pittance. I've only had dates with 2 girls and neither ended up working out so far. This is the 3rd and I'm already over it. It takes so much effort just to reach a point that you could possibly reach in 10 minutes in a real life situation.

If you're really handsome or a woman then this site is great but otherwise it's like being part of the gold rush. Everyone scrounging around for the same thing for days and weeks on end hoping they'll strike it lucky.

crush7337

Banned
I hope it works out with this girl I'm meeting on Sunday cause fuck I'm sick of OKC. When I look back it's SO much time and effort. Sending message after message, fixing up my profile, getting good photos, exchanging numbers, making dates, all for a pittance. I've only had dates with 2 girls and neither ended up working out so far. This is the 3rd and I'm already over it. It takes so much effort just to reach a point that you could possibly reach in 10 minutes in a real life situation.

If you're really handsome or a woman then this site is great but otherwise it's like being part of the gold rush. Everyone scrounging around for the same thing for days and weeks on end hoping they'll strike it lucky.

I have to say I agree. I thought it was great a month ago when I found someone and was going out with them for a month, but then she ended it for not wanting a serious relationship. Since coming back on the site its sort of depressing to see the same girls on here that were here 2 months ago.

I at least am getting much more profile views than before and my response rate seems to be going up (I've had 4 reply back out of 25 or so I've messaged this week). Maybe I should just finally move to NYC since the selection there seems better and I can actually go out and meet people easier rather than being trapped in suburbia with nowhere to go out that is real convenient.

megamerican

A girl messaged me and we have been talking back and forth quite a bit. Is there any general guideline for asking for a number or a meetup?

also medical students / young doctors. no time for a relationship. stressed as hell. just wanna get fucked.

Vets fuck like animals.

A girl messaged me and we have been talking back and forth quite a bit. Is there any general guideline for asking for a number or a meetup?

Give her your number and say something like "Hey, here's my number so we can text." Then ask her out once you have a couple texts.

Ashhong

I prefer to ask for her number rather than give mine. I guess you can do both at once, but I'd rather not be waiting for her to maybe or maybe not text me.

Pastry

Banned
To all the people frustrated with OKcupid and other dating sites how big of a city are you from? I'm considering jumping in soon and I am curious, I live in a city of 2 million so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll be looking to GAF for profile advice because I'm not going to have a clue what I am doing.

crush7337

Banned
To all the people frustrated with OKcupid and other dating sites how big of a city are you from? I'm considering jumping in soon and I am curious, I live in a city of 2 million so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll be looking to GAF for profile advice because I'm not going to have a clue what I am doing.

Shouldn't be a problem at all. I probably live about 45-60 minutes outside of NYC and there are tons of girls on from there. So much so that 7 out of every 10 girls on my match list are from Manhattan or Brooklyn. Only problem for me is that I'm not going to be spending an hour going into the city just for some dates.

Yep, New York City is a gold mine for potential matches. All these stories of people getting tired after fielding 2 or 3 dates... when I last used that site heavily I was filling up weekends with 4 or 5 dates at a time along with the occasional weekday meet-up.

I'm not a stud, ask anyone here who's been to the NYC GAF meetups, there's just so many relatively young single girls who move to New York to attend school or start their acting/dancing/modeling/singing/fashion/etc career.

Pastry

Banned
Shouldn't be a problem at all. I probably live about 45-60 minutes outside of NYC and there are tons of girls on from there. So much so that 7 out of every 10 girls on my match list are from Manhattan or Brooklyn. Only problem for me is that I'm not going to be spending an hour going into the city just for some dates.

Yep, New York City is a gold mine for potential matches. All these stories of people getting tired after fielding 2 or 3 dates... when I last used that site heavily I was filling up weekends with 4 or 5 dates at a time along with the occasional weekday meet-up.

I'm not a stud, ask anyone here who's been to the NYC GAF meetups, there's just so many relatively young single girls who move to New York to attend school or start their acting/dancing/modeling/singing/fashion/etc career.

Awesome, I have never done internet dating or anything so I am a little apprehensive at the moment. While San Antonio isn't New York it doesn't look like there will be a shortage of girls on the sites (based off what I can see on OKC and Match). Plenty of universities and job opportunities to bring young single ladies here. Ugh I just need to relearn how to talk to girls before I go ahead with this, forgot a lot in three and a half years.

From Dublin, California (near SF) and I've had decent/moderate success after just getting back onto the website last month. I'll be meeting up with someone tomorrow afternoon, we'll see how this goes :). Tons of people near my region.

Seth C

It's pretty useless in Lexington. I can't even find 25 women I want to message, much less set up a date.

also medical students / young doctors. no time for a relationship. stressed as hell. just wanna get fucked.

Where do I meet these horny young ladies??? I don't wanna have to go into a hospital. And when I see them out, they're usually travelling in packs, wearing scrubs.

Ashhong

look in areas that have medical schools. here in socal i find a ton in my area doing that because there are a few of them around me

Amory

Close to probably 20% of profiles I've read list sarcasm as one of the things they could never do without.

And a ton of girls talk about their love of sarcasm in their about me section.

Is this junior high? What's so great about sarcasm?

Jabo

Well my thing sure failed fast. My Japanese sucks and their English sucks so they have a hard time understanding and stop responding lawl.

It's pretty useless in Lexington. I can't even find 25 women I want to message, much less set up a date.

Same here and it's friggin Tokyo. (I've been only messaging a lot just for fun and still the number isn't high at all) No one uses it here :/.

Ovid

Close to probably 20% of profiles I've read list sarcasm as one of the things they could never do without.

Last girl I went out with from OKC was sarcastic the moment I met her till the date ended. It was cool at first but just got annoying and tired really fast. I couldn't wait to get out of that restaurant. When she thanked me for dinner I couldn't tell if she was joking or not. Just an awful date on all fronts.

Oh, and it ended OKC dating for me too.

Septimius

It's a fantastic way to hide insecurities </sarcasm>

Do you guys have Badoo? It seems way, way more popular than Okc and Pof in my area. I'm actually inundated by messages on this thing from randoms whereas I barely got any bites on either of the former. Pof in particular is very shite, it must have weighted favourability

I've only met and not fucked one woman on OKCupid.

And I only met her because she messaged me first. Met up, had a nice chat and beer, went dancing, but damn I could tell she was a whore.

The girls that are on there are really less tan half interested in what men have to offer.

Haha, I think in my desperate weeks I messaged every pretty girl in vienna around my age.

No luck.

Once I wrote a girl "Let me love you!" And than lost her by mentioning a real club in vienna called the Ride Club.

they tend not to let pictures with multiple people in them get through as well

Yes, that was the reason for it. I wasn't really conscious of there being other people in the picture, since I'm the only one really in the foreground, and they're sort of tucked behind a big mass of flame.

Hrm. I accidentally clicked on the wrong birth year when I set it up, and now I can't seem to work out how to change it. When I click "edit" next to my age, it shows the incorrect date, but it is not alterable.

commedieu

Banned
I've only met and not fucked one woman on OKCupid.

And I only met her because she messaged me first. Met up, had a nice chat and beer, went dancing, but damn I could tell she was a whore.

The girls that are on there are really less tan half interested in what men have to offer.

Haha, I think in my desperate weeks I messaged every pretty girl in vienna around my age.

No luck.

Once I wrote a girl "Let me love you!" And than lost her by mentioning a real club in vienna called the Ride Club.

je0ctMUZkUvJo_e.jpg

Darklord

Banned
I'm meeting the girl I've chatted to and gotten along really well with for the past couple of weeks and I sent a message saying what time and where. Never got a reply back. Uh oh. She better not flake after all this time. :(

What is this Badoo? Im looking at the site and it looks like just a picture posting place where you vote on looks?

Well my friend introduced it as a phone app (which i use primarily) but its a website aswell. Basically you set up your bog standard profile, and then you can check it when you're out and about and it shows you whose nearby and stuff. I've had way more success with it than the other 2

Hrm. I accidentally clicked on the wrong birth year when I set it up, and now I can't seem to work out how to change it. When I click "edit" next to my age, it shows the incorrect date, but it is not alterable.

Yeah that sucks. I remember them saying to be careful with your birthdate because its unalterable. If its too out there try emailing them?

Yeah that sucks. I remember them saying to be careful with your birthdate because its unalterable. If its too out there try emailing them?

Well, balls. It's like the only time I've ever made a mistake like this, and it happens to be in the only place where you can't fix it.

Ah, well, I guess I'll just be fraudulent about it and tell everybody after all the crazy sex.

I'm meeting the girl I've chatted to and gotten along really well with for the past couple of weeks and I sent a message saying what time and where. Never got a reply back. Uh oh. She better not flake after all this time. :(

Couple weeks before you got the date set up? Waaaay too long. I usually ask for the date by message 5 or 7, and typically meet after just a few days after we started messaging. By then they already know if you're worth a first date, so may as well ask. Better to know if they're interested early than to waste time.

For example, if a girl responds to a message by me on Wednesday, I'll work it to get the date by that Friday or Saturday. It's the first date where you'll realize whether or not you want to date her, and her likewise, not the messages. So why wait?

Well, balls. It's like the only time I've ever made a mistake like this, and it happens to be in the only place where you can't fix it.

Ah, well, I guess I'll just be fraudulent about it and tell everybody after all the crazy sex.

how off is your b-day? just email them and say you fudged up

Septimius

"She better not"? Why? Shouldn't that be "I hope she doesn't"?

Jhoan

I dunno man, I've been feeling heavily discouraged and frustrated from hitting up chicks on the site lately and as you know, I'm good looking guy with a likeable personality. Too many chicks are young professionals at the 19-24 range, so as a student at my age, I'm having a hard time getting replies. It seems that women aren't too inclined to go out with a guy who's still in college. Even with women who are students it seems to be the case. I haven't hit up any chicks in about a week. So I'm having a hard time myself. It doesn't help that I haven't asked for any numbers (I know 3-4 exchanges is the norm to go for the number) so I know these women have lost interest.

The most annoying part is that I keep seeing the same matches over and over again. I also keep getting paired up with vegetarian chicks which is extremely annoying; vegetarians and meat eaters are a recipe for disaster. So I haven't had much luck with the "NYC singles gold mine." I get way more views than I do replies (I disagree with you about waiting for chicks to hit you up before you even bring that up unless you have an incredibly good picture).
Do you guys have Badoo? It seems way, way more popular than Okc and Pof in my area. I'm actually inundated by messages on this thing from randoms whereas I barely got any bites on either of the former. Pof in particular is very shite, it must have weighted favourability
My brother recommended I use it as a supplementary site to OKC; I've seen tons of advertisements for it in the subway. While I don't have an account on the site (yet), he told me it's pretty good.

Darklord

Banned
"She better not"? Why? Shouldn't that be "I hope she doesn't"?

Because it's a dick move to ask someone "When are we going on a date?" and then back out at the last second.

Couple weeks before you got the date set up? Waaaay too long. I usually ask for the date by message 5 or 7, and typically meet after just a few days after we started messaging. By then they already know if you're worth a first date, so may as well ask. Better to know if they're interested early than to waste time.

For example, if a girl responds to a message by me on Wednesday, I'll work it to get the date by that Friday or Saturday. It's the first date where you'll realize whether or not you want to date her, and her likewise, not the messages. So why wait?

I got her number and asked her out on message 5 but she was busy on that weekend and I'm busy in the week during the day. She wanted to meet in the day so I couldn't do anything about it. This was a weekend we were both free.

Tansut

Okay, so I messaged a gal at the end of last month, got a reply a few days later. I then responded to that message a couple days later and then heard nothing back. Didn't really bother me or anything because that's pretty much par for the course on OKC.

But then today she responds back after like...after almost two weeks from when I sent my last message, continuing the conversation as if nothing happened.

Wat.

Is this odd to anyone else or am I just overthinking it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom