• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
It's weird. I got nothing for a period of about 6months,.But then i shag about 4 girls in the space of a month. 3 from OKcupid and 1 from POF. Not trying to stealth brag but it's one of those when it rains it pours. Also one was a MILF!
liar-liar.jpg%3Fw%3D600%26h%3D400%26crop%3D1

I'm fine with nerdy girls that are similar to me, but whenever i fluke out and get a reply from a genuinely hot girl i have no idea how to play it, i just clam up and never ask for the phone number, then eventually they stop replying.

I've spent the last 2 weeks (too long, i know) occasionally messaging with such a girl, it got to the point where i asked if i was boring her with all the messages and she brought up that we can meet for a coffee this week if i want (i still don't have her number). The thing is i feel insanely nervous about how it will go from here, i still haven't even replied yet, i feel like i've over-sold myself and she'll show up, do a 180 and run for it. I know i should stop being a pussy and go for it but i have an unusually nervous feeling about this. Re-reading this post i'm ashamed of myself.

dralla

what the fuck, just go for it. don't do coffee though, not only is it boring, but you should pick something where you can actually do things/talk about stuff, like a museum/zoo/mini-golfing/ect, it makes it so much easier to get natural conversation

Seguin

Banned
I'm fine with nerdy girls that are similar to me, but whenever i fluke out and get a reply from a genuinely hot girl i have no idea how to play it, i just clam up and never ask for the phone number, then eventually they stop replying.

I've spent the last 2 weeks (too long, i know) occasionally messaging with such a girl, it got to the point where i asked if i was boring her with all the messages and she brought up that we can meet for a coffee this week if i want (i still don't have her number). The thing is i feel insanely nervous about how it will go from here, i still haven't even replied yet, i feel like i've over-sold myself and she'll show up, do a 180 and run for it. I know i should stop being a pussy and go for it but i have an unusually nervous feeling about this. Re-reading this post i'm ashamed of myself.

Just send her a dick pic already

Mr. Sam

As per the advice in this thread, four messages is where I'll go for it - whether it be asking them out for coffee or giving them my phone number or whatever. I'll not looking for someone to shoot the shit with on the internet; that's what I have NeoGAF for. There's nothing wrong with trying to build a bit of a rapport - if only because it would make it easier to strike up a conversation when you meet them - but you absolutely have to go for the kill, so to speak.

But I've not got a single date yet, so ignore me.

Darklord

Banned
what the fuck, just go for it. don't do coffee though, not only is it boring, but you should pick something where you can actually do things/talk about stuff, like a museum/zoo/mini-golfing/ect, it makes it so much easier to get natural conversation

Yeah. Worst is it doesn't work, best is you get the girl. Can't lose.

it got to the point where i asked if i was boring her with all the messages

Never say that. It reeks of insecurity. You'll know when you're boring her because you won't get a reply.

dralla

As per the advice in this thread, four messages is where I'll go for it - whether it be asking them out for coffee or giving them my phone number or whatever. I'll not looking for someone to shoot the shit with on the internet; that's what I have NeoGAF for. There's nothing wrong with trying to build a bit of a rapport - if only because it would make it easier to strike up a conversation when you meet them - but you absolutely have to go for the kill, so to speak.

But I've not got a single date yet, so ignore me.

Yea, I think it's important to not come off as pushy though. I always say if they don't wanna give me their number or meet up so quickly that "it's cool", "don't worry about it", ect. seems to work well for me.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I hate talking with people on the phone before I met them in person. That's why I lost another girl on the dating site I use (I think I lost her but we'll see in a couple of days). Like "-how about you call me, I'm tired of the computer". Noooooo.... I don't want to call you unless it's about arranging a date, so I can keep it short for the first time.

I'm fine with phone conversations after I met her in person.

I hate talking with people on the phone before I met them in person. That's why I lost another girl on the dating site I use (I think I lost her but we'll see in a couple of days). Like "-how about you call me, I'm tired of the computer". Noooooo.... I don't want to call you unless it's about arranging a date, so I can keep it short for the first time.

I'm fine with phone conversations after I met her in person.

My theory for a while is that phone conversations are the worst of both worlds:

1) with text/email, you at least you get the benefit of planning out your thoughts, not having to think on your feet and say random stuff to keep the conversation flowing, and just generally having the ability to plan out more thoughtful communication since it's asynchronous.

2) with talking in person, you at least get the benefit of seeing visual/body language cues that human beings are already built to handle, so you can better understand the "vibe" of a conversation while it's happening, and be able to play off that.

Phone conversations basically remove all of these advantages. Which is why I hate talking on the phone for the most part too, lol.

met this girl like 3 months ago at a bar. We hung out for like 45 minutes and I just kind of awkwardly left because it was pretty lame. Her friend came and they wouldn't stop talking about guys.

Just found her number in my phone. Tried to delete it but it CALLED HER. My phone would not exit the call and was basically frozen. It was pretty lame. Haha. She called back but I turned my phone off.

The first (and only) time I went to a club I was extremely drunk and ended up getting a girl's number. After I looked her up on Facebook and rediscovered what she looked like I was disappointed, so things died after a few texts. Many months later I was trying to call a female friend who has the same name as club girl but I called club girl by mistake, which I didn't realize until she became very confused about why I was asking what kind of beer she wanted. It was awkward, especially because she seemed happy that I was calling. As a result, all of the phone numbers in my phone are now labeled with first AND last names.

Darklord

Banned
met this girl like 3 months ago at a bar. We hung out for like 45 minutes and I just kind of awkwardly left because it was pretty lame. Her friend came and they wouldn't stop talking about guys.

Just found her number in my phone. Tried to delete it but it CALLED HER. My phone would not exit the call and was basically frozen. It was pretty lame. Haha. She called back but I turned my phone off.

LOL! I hate how phones can start calling someone if you accidentally swipe rather than press and other ways like that. At least ask to confirm it or something!

it got to the point where i asked if i was boring her with all the messages
I can't believe how much I shivered at this awkwardness.

The first (and only) time I went to a club I was extremely drunk and ended up getting a girl's number. After I looked her up on Facebook and rediscovered what she looked like I was disappointed, so things died after a few texts. Many months later I was trying to call a female friend who has the same name as club girl but I called club girl by mistake, which I didn't realize until she became very confused about why I was asking what kind of beer she wanted. It was awkward, especially because she seemed happy that I was calling. As a result, all of the phone numbers in my phone are now labeled with first AND last names.
Getting the last name of a person is one of the easy conversation starters I like to use. "I need a last name for consistency in my contacts. If you don't give me one, I'm making it up for you." Then if they play along and refuse, you give them something funny. Always works.

Darklord

Banned
Every time I send an intelligent, well-written message showing that I've read their profile and asking questions to get the conversation start I rarely, if ever get a reply. But when I send a picture of Elmo with a small joke attached I end up getting a date. And now? I asked if a girl would rather eat 30 blocks of cheese or a tub of peanut butter. THAT was my opening. And now I have a date with her. She's hot too.

What the hell? From now I'm not going to try. I'm just going to throw shit at the wall and see what sticks because so far, they're the best kind of messages.

Edit: And also when I'm tired. I'm great at messaging when I'm really, really tired.

Necrovex

Every time I send an intelligent, well-written message showing that I've read their profile and asking questions to get the conversation start I rarely, if ever get a reply. But when I send a picture of Elmo with a small joke attached I end up getting a date. And now? I asked if a girl would rather eat 30 blocks of cheese or a tub of peanut butter. THAT was my opening. And now I have a date with her. She's hot too.

What the hell? From now I'm not going to try. I'm just going to throw shit at the wall and see what sticks because so far, they're the best kind of messages.

Edit: And also when I'm tired. I'm great at messaging when I'm really, really tired.

The women on OKC are frightened when they encounter someone who is smarter than them. Dealing with a dumb guy raises their own self-worth. That's my theory anyway.

My most successful okc experience started when i asked her about cheese

The women on OKC are frightened when they encounter someone who is smarter than them. Dealing with a dumb guy raises their own self-worth. That's my theory anyway.
What is this misogynistic shit?

Women are bombarded with messages. They don't care to read long generic praises of profile details. Everyone does that. Grab their attention with a joke or something that makes them think, even if it's something stupid like choosing between cheese and peanut butter.

You can boringly talk about how great of a match you are and what you like about her after you've started dating. Before that point, it's all magnetism and chemistry.

mj1108

Yeah, I don't know what it is about women on these sites. My opening line for the date I had last night was a minor ribbing about how bright red her lipstick was in her photo.

It comes down to: Fuck actually reading their profiles. Just throw random shit into messages, send and get a date.

That said, my date last night went well, although after we said goodnight to each other she ended up going out with a couple of female friends and drunk dials me at 3am. She then calls me this morning to apologize and tells me she's really not like that. :\

That said, my date last night went well, although after we said goodnight to each other she ended up going out with a couple of female friends and drunk dials me at 3am. She then calls me this morning to apologize and tells me she's really not like that. :\
What's the problem with this? Sounds like she's really into you. Unless there's extreme clinginess here.

dralla

oh this thread! now I'm gonna start sending the dumbest messages ever and see if I get a response. I sent one talking about Dog the bounty hunter lol, let's see how this goes.

Necrovex

What is this misogynistic shit?

Women are bombarded with messages. They don't care to read long generic praises of profile details. Everyone does that. Grab their attention with a joke or something that makes them think, even if it's something stupid like choosing between cheese and peanut butter.

You can boringly talk about how great of a match you are and what you like about her after you've started dating. Before that point, it's all magnetism and chemistry.

An intelligent, well-written message =/ a long generic message circle jerking her profile.

Writing to a woman who is attracted more to an idiotic line than something that requires a functioning brain is simply a major turn off.

An intelligent, well-written message =/ a long generic message circle jerking her profile.
It might as well be.

I can tell your definition of "intelligent, well-written message" is different than mine. I send two or three sentences. It is always intelligent and well-written.

Writing to a woman who is attracted more to an idiotic line than something that requires a functioning brain is simply a major turn off.
You're making so many disgusting assumptions about women, intelligence, and attraction.

mj1108

As much as I tend to agree with this, the sad thing is a lot of women on these sites don't seem to reply to well thought out messages or messages showing that you actually read their profile.

In this case, you can't blame us guys as I think most, if not all of us have tried messages showing we read their profile and actually take an actual interest in their likes. It's the girls fault (and loss) if they don't want that.

As much as I tend to agree with this, the sad thing is a lot of women on these sites don't seem to reply to well thought out messages or messages showing that you actually read their profile.

In this case, you can't blame us guys as I think most, if not all of us have tried messages showing we read their profile and actually take an actual interest in their likes. It's the girls fault (and loss) if they don't want that.
You are writing to her. It is assumed you like what you see. She can see your profile. She knows if you're compatible. Messages are for building attraction past profiles and lists of basic hobbies.

Necrovex

It might as well be.

I can tell your definition of "intelligent, well-written message" is different than mine. I send two or three sentences. It is always intelligent and well-written.

I was referring to Darklord's cheese message, which he was even surprised got a reply.

You're making so many disgusting assumptions about women, intelligence, and attraction.

Or I dunno, we are attracted to a different set of personality regarding women. Maybe I should have placed it "to me," but I assumed that was implied because I wrote the message.

crush7337

Banned
Yeah, I told you guys the witty one liners and
weird questions work wonders. Ive gotten so many more replies than before since I started doing it.

With the one date I have set for next Sunday, she wants to talk on the phone or Skype before then. I'd rather not, but with the amount she texts me I figure its inevitable.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
just asked the girl who had "likes: cooking, reading, friends" in her profile how she prefers to cook her friends and got a reply of course (
she prefers them with coffee, wine and spices
)

Or I dunno, we are attracted to a different set of personality regarding women. Maybe I should have placed it "to me," but I assumed that was implied because I wrote the message.
You're putting out the classic autism spectrum bullshit about how you feel it's unfair that women don't respond to what you feel you have earned through following what you believe to be the proper processes. You're judging them for not responding to intelligent messages (that I assume are dry and redundant) rather than something that triggers a more immediate chemical reaction.

I'm pretty sure we are attracted to similar ladies. We post on a gaming forum. We can construct smart posts and write well. I'm just not judgmental about women that choose to be entertained rather than meticulously wooed. Everyone likes to flirt, no matter where they land on your intelligence meter.

just asked the girl who had "likes: cooking, reading, friends" in her profile how she prefer to cook her friends and got a reply of course (
)
See, this is totally short, witty, and intelligent. The girl was attracted to it and responded with her own intelligent response. It's good flirting.

Necrovex

just asked the girl who had "likes: cooking, reading, friends" in her profile how she prefer to cook her friends and got a reply of course (
)

I sometime tease a woman when she makes a list and forgets to place a comma at the very end. I pretty much follow that approach when that happens.

Necrovex

You're putting out the classic autism spectrum bullshit about how you feel it's unfair that women don't respond to what you feel you have earned through following what you believe to be the proper processes. You're judging them for not responding to intelligent messages (that I assume are dry and redundant) rather than something that triggers a more immediate chemical reaction.

I'm pretty sure we are attracted to similar ladies. We post on a gaming forum. We can construct smart posts and write well. I'm just not judgmental about women that choose to be entertained rather than meticulously wooed. Everyone likes to flirt, no matter where they land on your intelligence meter.

I never said it was "unfair," I said I am not attracted to those type of women. I also never stated there was a "proper process." You're making the assumption that I have a VERY narrow definition of intelligent and well-written messages. There's a difference between saying something witty and clever, like Subversus' message, and then something completely random and dumb like the cheese comment (I'm not meaning to pick on you, Darklord).

Simply posting on a Gaf doesn't mean we have similar tastes in women, otherwise we wouldn't date anyone because of sharp knees or some other insignificant physical "flaw." We don't know each other well enough to make these assumptions.

Though, I'll give you that my initial post was a little harsh.

Az987

all good things
Would you rather build your house out of 2x4s made of cheese or peanut butter?

I'd probably go with peanut butter myself. The cheese house might smell.

There you go Dralla, wrote that one just for you. Have at it.

Az987

all good things
I use a lot of smiley faces and exclamation marks too.

Purposely misspelling words might be something to consider as well.

Pastry

Banned

I laughed pretty hard at this, and I would have to agree peanut butter all the way.

Necrovex

this is just a practice run guys, i need some more dumb questions, gimme some ideas lol

For future messages, you're best not using any deprecating humor.

Okay, I actually laughed at that one.

Invisible Man

aka SexyNerd
Oh and since we're posting opening messages, here is the one I sent to the girl I'm currently texting with maybe a date this weekend.

She had mentioned being "the most awesome person in the world?" in her I'm really good at section, which led to this message.

I'm sorry to inform you of this, but if you met me you'd probably be relegated to second most awesome person in the world. I hope you were sitting down for this news. If not, I apologize.

And her response.

PSH. I think you need to re-evaluate your statement. Awesome people don't brag about why they're so awesome :) Therefore, you are relegated to 65472346th most awesome person in the world. I hope that isn't too much for you to handle.

We went on for about 20 messages over about 5-6 days before she told me that she was probably going to delete her profile on OKC since she had been getting a lot of creepy messages from guys and that there weren't many guys like me on there. That's also when she gave me her number to text her.

dralla

How could you even have 2x4s made of peanut butter, they wouldn't hold shape, cheese is the only logical answer. sure, peanut butter smells amazing, but cmon!

ok so I just used Az987's message on another girl, shes logged on already too, lets see! I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little embarrassed about this one! I've already messaged this girl before lol

any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom