• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMFG noooo...Virtua Fighter 2 on PS2 not 60fps! but more Model 2 ports on the way????

doncale

Banned
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/544/544873p1.html

sorry if this is old, but I didn't see it posted here or anyone mention it

VF2 Not At 60 FPS
Plus, AM2 comments on other possible re-releases.

September 05, 2004 - Sega made many a hardcore fighting fan's day with the news that Virtua Fighter 2 would be seeing re-release as part of the Sega Ages lineup of title. However, it seems that those looking for a sixty frames per second version of the game will have to look elsewhere. A recent interview with Sega's Kagasei Shimomura (manager of the Sega Ages project) and Sega-AM2's Hiroshi Kataoka reveals that the Sega Ages version of VF2, set for Japanese release on 10/14, will run at 57.5 frames per second.

For an explanation, let's turn to Kataoka, whose comments are featured in the October issue of Japan's Dorimaga videogame magazine. Says Kataoka, "Model 2 is an old board, so its method of displaying polygons is old and it uses technology and techniques of the time. It was tough for the staff to reproduce it on the PS2." He continues, referring to how the version handles combos, "Outside of displaying polygons, the game's program is basically the same [as the original], so reproducing [combos] shouldn't be a problem. We were able to recreate the 57.5 per second frame rate of the original, after all." So, it turns out, that a VF2 running at less than 60 frames per second makes for a more perfect version of VF2. As a result, and because the part of the game program that handles gameplay is being brought over almost directly from the arcade version, combo and move purists will probably have a lot to like in the Sega Ages version of VF2.

Dorimaga also reveals in this issue a few new details on the port. [/b]Sega initially revealed that the game would combine VF2 and its arcade upgrade VF2.1 in the same package. The game will actually default to version 2.1, but users can change to version 2 in the options menu. [/b]

The packaging for the game has also been decided and will feature Akira and the VF2 logo against a white background. Nobutaka Arii, the designer of the publicity imagery for AM2 at the time, and now an employee of Sega's Hitmaker division, has overseen the package for the game.

Finally, it seems that Sega is indeed sticking close to the arcade version -- very close. The game will feature the bare minimum of modes, with plans for an arcade mode, versus mode and the arcade version's hidden ranking mode (this latter mode is available from the start without inputting special commands). You won't even be able to set the game's time limit to infinity! One change, which we welcome, is the option for the arranged music that was originally used in Saturn version of the title.

Early impressions of Sega-AM2's work on the title seem to be impressive. Dorimaga comments, as part of a tiny blurb, that its editors along with the editors of sister PlayStation 2 magazine The PlayStation, couldn't get enough of the remake. This includes, apparently VF2 junkies from the time and newbies.

Elsewhere in the October Dorimaga, Kataoka and Shimomura address the possibility of Sega doing more Model 2 re-releases. "We'll first look at sales of VF2," comments Shimomura. Kataoka continues, with a smile, "We did VF2, so we won't say it's not a possibility. If we do, I'd like to do Desert Tank." Desert Tank is one of Kataoka's own titles.

The list of Model 2 games, at more than twenty-five titles, (Doncale's note: no its over 40 titles) is huge compared to other Sega boards. The games include the likes of Sonic Fighters, Fighting Vipers and Daytona USA, titles which we'd all like to see ported as perfectly as VF2 to the home.

Daytonnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it
Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it

SEGA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I wish they'd 'remix' the games as well as give us the arcade originals on the same disc.

ourumov

Oh shit...you shouldn't have posted it...I see the old debate returning...
How many posts till :
"Model 3 is better than PS2"
"GT3 sucks compared to Super GT"

doncale

Banned
oh and let us not forget that Desert Tank has never been brought home in any form

deserttank_game.jpg

desert_tank_lge.jpg

http://www.arcadeflyers.com/?page=flyerdb&subpage=flyer&id=3018&image=1

doncale

Banned
Oh shit...you shouldn't have posted it...I see the old debate returning...
How many posts till :
"Model 3 is better than PS2"
"GT3 sucks compared to Super GT"

I don't hardly care that PS2 VF2 isn't quite 60fps. it doesnt bother me all that much.

what my mind is fixated on, is, the possiblity of getting PS2 ports of Daytona, Desert Tank and other Model 2 games.

ourumov

what my mind is fixated on, is, the possiblity of getting PS2 ports of Daytona, Desert Tank and other Model 2 games.

I know ;) . I was just kidding.

Anyways I doubt we will get something like Desert Tank. Perhaps Daytona and SEGA Rally...

Socreges

Banned
"Model 2 is an old board, so its method of displaying polygons is old and it uses technology and techniques of the time. It was tough for the staff to reproduce it on the PS2."
Cue Lazy8s and dark10x in another pathetic struggle for absolutely nothing.

doncale

Banned
I'll take Manx TT, Virtual On Cyber Troopers for starters, after Desert Tank and Daytona.

p.s. BUYYYYYYYYYYYYY Virtua Fighter 2

WarPig

Motor Raid before Manx TT. And the original V-On is so much less after VOOT. I miss me some VOOT real bad.

DFS.

Socreges said:
Cue Lazy8s and dark10x in another pathetic struggle for absolutely nothing.

:lol :lol :lol

Also, I'll go on record by saying that doing a port of Sega Rally would be totally pointless; the Saturn conversion was that good in my opinion.

doncale

Banned
yeah Sega Rally on Saturn was so much better than the arcade. no reason to bring the totally inferior Model 2 version home.

[/sarc]

doncale

Banned
btw, GAF is slacking. seriously, lol - this article is 5 days old. I cannot believe nobody else posted this. i cannot believe i was the first to post it. geeeez.

sp0rsk said:
its even better than 60fps. its the same fps as the arcade!

I just wanted to make sure everyone heard that. The headline of this thread is slightly misleading.

No game on PS2 or Xbox (NTSC) is actually 60fps - but actually 59.94 - so, let's post similar topics when GT4 or OutRun2 hit shelves? I think not!

The arcade VF2 is reportedly 57.5 fps, and so is the PS2 port, which means it is actually more perfect a port than if they'd just "made it NTSC" and forced 60fps.

--

Edit: Sorry - it is not this headline that is misleading, but IGN's. Same shit applies though.

jarrod

Banned
Did someone say list?

-Behind Enemy Lines (Sega/EPL Prodcutions)
-Cyber Troopers Virtual On (Sega/AM3)
-Daytona USA (Sega/AM2)
-Dead or Alive (Tecmo/Team Ninja)
-Dead or Alive Plus (Tecmo/Team Ninja)
-Desert Tank (Sega/AM2)
-Dynamite Baseball (Sega/AM1)
-Dynamite Baseball '97 (Sega/AM1)
-Dynamite Cop (Sega/AM1)
-Fighting Vipers (Sega/AM2)
-Gunblade NY: Special Air Assault Force (Sega/AM3)
-Indy 500 (Sega/AM1)
-Last Bronx (Sega/AM3)
-Manx TT SuperBike (Sega/AM3)
-Motor Raid (Sega/AM1)
-Over Rev (Jaleco)
-Pilot Kids (Psikyo)
-Rail Chase 2 (Sega/AM3)
-Sega Ski Super G (Sega/AM1)
-Sega Rally Championship (Sega/AM3)
-Sega Touring Car Championship (Sega/AM3)
-Sega Water Ski (Sega/AM1)
-Sky Target (Sega/AM1)
-Sonic Championship (Sega/AM2)
-The House of the Dead (Sega/AM1)
-Top Skater (Sega/AM3)
-Super GT 24H (Jaleco)
-Virtua Cop (Sega/AM2)
-Virtua Cop 2 (Sega/AM2)
-Virtua Fighter 2 (Sega/AM2)
-Virtua Fighter 2.1 (Sega/AM2)
-Virtua Striker (Sega/AM2)
-Wave Runner (Sega/AM1)
-Zero Gunner (Psikyo)

doncale said:
yeah Sega Rally on Saturn was so much better than the arcade. no reason to bring the totally inferior Model 2 version home.

[/sarc]

Well excuse me for wanting a game that hasn't gotten a decent home conversion over one that already has.

Oh I'm sorry, Sega Rally Saturn which isn't 100% is all of a sudden a bad game, at least now that we have the chance for a better port. Give me a break.

BTW, where did I ever say the Satun version was better than the arcade version, I 'm just saying it's extremely close.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Those Model arcade boards stood out so far from the more conventional systems of the time that it's not surprising. This is like a satire of arcade purism.

Makes me wonder about the PS2 Decathlete conversion - I doubt they'll match the 704 lines of vertical resolution that the Saturn version, which used the same display mode as VF2 Saturn, performed.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wait, so what is the framerate? From the interview, it doesn't sound like it will be 30 fps or anything...

Very unclear. I hope Daytona is ported, though. I'd love to finally get a great port of the game at home.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Lazy8s said:
Makes me wonder about the PS2 Decathlete conversion - I doubt they'll match the 704 lines of vertical resolution that the Saturn version, which used the same display mode as VF2 Saturn, performed.

I don't know about resolution... but I own Original Decathlete and Winter Heat, and on the Sega Ages collection, they're both much improved and I doubt I'll ever boot up the old ones again. Especially getting rid of the sprite based CPU runners.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
dark10x said:
Wait, so what is the framerate? From the interview, it doesn't sound like it will be 30 fps or anything...

Very unclear. I hope Daytona is ported, though. I'd love to finally get a great port of the game at home.

do you know how to read or do you just post lists.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
It's going to be great when the effects of this satire turn up in debates years from now with random interjections of, "that system wasn't even powerful enough to do sixty frames per second!!"

it will probably do okay in Japan and bomb in the US and everywhere else. Old fugly games do not appeal (except it they're Nintendo)

If Sega thinks they can do a Nintendo and make $$$$, they are wrong.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I didn't know you could get TVs to display at 57.5fps. I always thought that if you missed 60, you couldn't just make it work somewhere between 60 and 30, you have to drop it all the way down to the next level.

I don't quite remember their actual names but there was a couple of rail shooters that kicked ass in ther arcades I believe there were two games in a series-LA Machine Guns and Gunblade New York I believe, or something like that. Anyway,man I would kill to have both those games release on a home console. Ofcourse the subtraction of that massive gun that accompanied the unit in the arcades would be a downer,but I'd scoop up a package like this instantly. More importantly I hope all the Sega AM2 ports find their over to America.

Almost forgot-I'd go crazy if Sega's Indy 500 made it home as well,that game pretty muched owned when I played it years back in Las Vegas. To me it was like Daytona and Virta Racing mixed,great tracks and the sense of speed was awesome.

I really hope for an arcade perfect house of the dead with Goncon 2 support. I wish someone would bring over, Virtua Cop Rebirth ( virtua cop 1 and 2), Virtua racing, and Virtua fighters 2. IS their ANY way to play PS2 import without modding the system? Does anyone know when Last Bronx will be released on the Sega Ages line.

CVXFREAK said:
Better be a goddamn GameCube release.

so far ALL the Sega Ages have been for PS2 only. The Model 2 games will be under the Sega ages line, so I woudn't bet for Sonic the fighter to be on Gamecube.

TheGreenGiant said:
it will probably do okay in Japan and bomb in the US and everywhere else. Old fugly games do not appeal (except it they're Nintendo)

If Sega thinks they can do a Nintendo and make $$$$, they are wrong.

If you were more of a Sega fan you would be excited about this, instead of your sarcastic comments. I guess since this is not for the Gamecube it is not a good idea in your eyes ;) . Overall the Sega Ages have stayed in Japan, so I think Sega is looking at Japan with this annoucment, not the rest of the world. The Model 2 games are not Fugly, they still have a charm to them and look as good if not better then any Nintendo game. I don't think Sega is trying to copy Nintendo. Sega has released some of thier games in the Sega Ages line in the past on the Saturn, so this is not the first time they have ported some of thier Arcade games. The reason people are excited about this annoucement is that they are porting thier Model 2 games home,as close as they can. This has been a dream of many a Sega fan.

cvxfreak

sonic4ever said:
so far ALL the Sega Ages have been for PS2 only. The Model 2 games will be under the Sega ages line, so I woudn't bet for Sonic the fighter to be on Gamecube.

Moronic decision, but absolutely possible.

jarrod

Banned
I want Virtua Collection (VF2+VR) next!! Throw in Decathlete Collection and Last Bronx if that's not enough...

Top Bottom