• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Direction - Take Me Home |OT| The Return of The Kings, The Beatles hew?

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
TOMORROW!

Very hyped.

I still find it lulzworthy the people here (and elsewhere) complaining that their music isn't mature enough. They are 18/19 years old. Who have no clue what sound they will have once they mature as musicians. Its good for what it is imo.

May write up my review today. Will let Marius post first tho....

Maybe will do an Up All Night Review while I am waiting.

I'll post mine later tonight

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
tumblr_lu39xxBGRU1qzol4do1_500.gif

Nlroh

I don't like what I've heard from them, but I find it so weird when people demand less happy music and more "mature" music. Yeah, happiness is so kiddy and juvenile, there's nothing more adult than over-sexualization, emo-ness and clubbing music.

Months ago I didn't like what I'd heard from them. It's not the kind of music I usually like. I don't even know how this happened, probably has something to do with the fact that they're super hot. I know their music is not necessarily deep or mature, and if I'm honest I completely understand where some of the criticism comes from because I used to be the one saying that happy music is kiddy. I understand why practically everyone looks down at them, and that includes pop-gaf who already like crappy overproduced pop, but just because 1d are teenagers with happy music, they're shit. The only thing I can say is that everyone should watch some 1d interviews, they guys are incredibly funny and the 5 of them have more personality than your average pop star.

Yup.

Haters just need something to hate.

They seem to me to be legitimately nice, smart people. That is always a good sign in my book. When I first listened to their music I was very "meh" about them but once I got past that I was not the target audience and just enjoyed it I changed my mind. Plus their story is pretty interesting to begin with.

The vast majority of the hate just comes from the fact that they are the next big thing right now....and there is nothing hipsters hate more than ANYTHING mainstream.

csZOB.gif

RM8

I love pop, but I avoid slutty-clubbish-"mature" pop like the plague. That's why I gave these guys a chance, but apparently I need to look harder for stuff I'd like :p Probably there are some fun, catchy album fillers out there that I might enjoy.

I love pop, but I avoid slutty-clubbish-"mature" pop like the plague. That's why I gave these guys a chance, but apparently I need to look harder for stuff I'd like :p Probably there are some fun, catchy album fillers out there that I might enjoy.

To be totally honest.....their first album is better. If you don't like their new stuff at least check out the first CD.

A5XSC.gif

I don't hold it against anyone who legit doesn't like the music though. Boy Band music isn't for everyone.

Nlroh

To be totally honest.....their first album is better. If you don't like their new stuff at least check out the first CD.

A5XSC.gif

I don't hold it against anyone who legit doesn't like the music though. Boy Band music isn't for everyone.

His arm... too many tattoos... deal breaker :'(

And what kind of music is supposed to be mature pop??

His arm... too many tattoos... deal breaker :'(

And what kind of music is supposed to be mature pop??

IDK....maybe Gaga?

I also think that Pop has been dominated by females for a while now who write songs not really aimed at one gender. Whereas Boy band music is almost always fairly gender specific.

As to the Tattoo's. I have expressed my distaste for the tattoo mania that has taken over the band.....however, I kinda like Zayns. Harry on the other hand has piss poor taste in tattoo's. They really should put on the breaks a little bit. Liam and Louis are into it but have not gone overboard as of yet. If the band doesn't think you can tattoo yourself into unemployment they need a reality check.

Delio

A5XSC.gif

You liked the first better? I dunno I'm digging this more. Then again I like the singles for the first over this one.

When I say I dislike "mature" pop is... yeah, stuff like Gaga (which I've seen tons of kids adore, lol). See, for me stuff like this is actual mature pop, and I love it. Just as I love crazy fun happy pop. Again, it's the slutty clubbish sameish pop what I personally don't enjoy.

lol. What on earth.

I can see we have very definitions of what "pop" is. This may be a part of the problem lol.

You liked the first better? I dunno I'm digging this more. Then again I like the singles for the first over this one.

I am really into ballads. This new disc doesn't have equivalents to "Making the Same Mistakes", "Gotta Be You", "Taken", etc.

The new CD isn't bad. It just doesn't have as much variety imo.

RM8

^ Well, according to Wikipedia, LODVG (song 1) and Berryz Koubou (song 2) are both pop groups, lol.

Delio

lol. What on earth.

I can see we have very definitions of what "pop" is. This may be a part of the problem lol.

I am really into ballads. This new disc doesn't have equivalents to "Making the Same Mistakes", "Gotta Be You", "Taken", etc.

The new CD isn't bad. It just doesn't have as much variety imo.

I REALLY didn't like Gotta be you. Ballads are here and there for me.

^ Well, according to Wikipedia, LODVG (song 1) and Berryz Koubou (song 2) are both pop groups, lol.

Pop is very broad though. I would consider both to be fairly niche.

Mainstream pop =/= what you linked.

K-pop is more of a parody of pop music than actual pop music itself. The other track was very indie pop like.

(not a big deal though lol)

I REALLY didn't like Gotta be you. Ballads are here and there for me.

Eh its not my favorite of the ballads but I still like it. Maybe the songs in this new album will grow on me over time.

Never Little Things tho.....never

Nlroh

When I say I dislike "mature" pop is... yeah, stuff like Gaga (which I've seen tons of kids adore, lol). See, for me stuff like this is actual mature pop, and I love it. Just as I love crazy fun happy pop. Again, it's the slutty clubbish sameish pop what I personally don't enjoy.

WTF am I watching???? Japanese girls being indian???? Oh god, it's so weird, but I love japanese girls, don't know what to think about it. I prefer kyary pamyu pamyu.

I've never listened to all the tracks on the first album... But judging by what I've heard, yeah, the new one needs more variety. As I said, I'm still waiting for a new Gotta be You.

I've never listened to all the tracks on the first album... But judging by what I've heard, yeah, the new one needs more variety. As I said, I'm still waiting for a new Gotta be You.

I am trying not to be too firm on judging new album because I have yet to hear bonus tracks which could change my mind. I really only need ONE great ballad (first CD had Making the Same Mistakes, and Taken imo) to be happy.

My other major concern is that I don't see any super obvious smash hit singles. Like....when I listened to Kelly Clarkson's last CD I immediately KNEW Stronger would go #1.

Delio

Eh its not my favorite of the ballads but I still like it. Maybe the songs in this new album will grow on me over time.

Never Little Things tho.....never

I swear. Little things seems very..disjointed. There does not seem to be any bridge between each little solo. I know the "Little things" part they sing together is supposed to be that but it feels..thrown in.

Booya

Neo Member
This thread is very interesting from a sociology standpoint. 5 people circlejerk around a band that no adult heared of and its key demographic will grow out of in a couple of years, no offence. kudos for the stamina in bashing .. people with taste. i tip my head to your enclave, seriously.

RM8

@Wafflecakes: That's J-Pop, though :p It's my main source of crazy wacky happy pop.

@Nlroh: It's a cover of a Thai song, lol. For Berryz Koubou conversion I always use this and this, though.

Delio

This thread is very interesting from a sociology standpoint. 5 people circlejerk around a band that no adult heared of and its key demographic will grow out of in a couple of years, no offence. kudos for the stamina in bashing .. people with taste. i tip my head to your enclave, seriously.

Not sure how you can so no adult has heard of them. Do you mean to say you haven;t? They are big enough where tons of people have heard of them.

All I heard was

*Oh look. Someone likes something different than me. They must have terrible taste!*

What's with all the uggos in the op

Thanks your the bump.

zATTJ.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Months ago I didn't like what I'd heard from them. It's not the kind of music I usually like. I don't even know how this happened, probably has something to do with the fact that they're super hot. I know their music is not necessarily deep or mature, and if I'm honest I completely understand where some of the criticism comes from because I used to be the one saying that happy music is kiddy. I understand why practically everyone looks down at them, and that includes pop-gaf who already like crappy overproduced pop, but just because 1d are teenagers with happy music, they're shit. The only thing I can say is that everyone should watch some 1d interviews, they guys are incredibly funny and the 5 of them have more personality than your average pop star.

Its funny tho cause some of them hold the same type of elitism that they criticize others of displaying towards them.

RM8

I know they are different...but lets not pretend the premise of both isn't about the same lol.
But the premise of K-Pop is mostly "like Western pop, just in Korean!", I'm not sure that also fits J-Pop and I can provide a metric ton of non-isolated examples :p

But the premise of K-Pop is mostly "just like Western pop, just in Korean!", I'm not sure that also fits J-Pop and I can provide a metric ton of non-isolated examples :p

Maybe. The fact that I usually cannot tell the difference makes me skeptical though.

Thats another issue for another thread though.

Kyon

Banned
But the premise of K-Pop is mostly "like Western pop, just in Korean!", I'm not sure that also fits J-Pop and I can provide a metric ton of non-isolated examples :p

Kpop hasn't been "western" since the late 90's early 2000's. it's way more innovative in sounds and concepts than those days.

ibpm65ODbIHS1P.png

If there was a word I'd use to describe them, it would be "generic". Seriously, it's stuff that wouldn't be out of place 15 years ago.

Booya

Neo Member
Not sure how you can so no adult has heard of them. Do you mean to say you haven;t? They are big enough where tons of people have heard of them.

so where 90% of all 90's boybands and do you see them achieving anything right now or people mentioning them?

I was big into the spice girls back in the day and of course i hyped the shit out of it, so I take no offence in this hyperbol thread. But stuff like that is the Hubba-Bubba-Music of the youth, you chew for a few weeks/months or even years and than your teeth fall out and all you have left is a tasteless glob in your mouth.
As stated, I'm not frontin', all I'm saying is: enjoy this stuff, but it is kinda sad that a lot appearantly don't know that much other music if they overestimate this bands value so much.

All I heard was

*Oh look. Someone likes something different than me. They must have terrible taste!*

pretty much the opposite of what i said, but posts some gifs maybe then it'll become clear

so where 90% of all 90's boybands and do you see them achieving anything right now or people mentioning them?

I was big into the spice girls back in the day and of course i hyped the shit out of it, so I take no offence in this hyperbol thread. But stuff like that is the Hubba-Bubba-Music of the youth, you chew for a few weeks/months or even years and than your teeth fall out and all you have left is a tasteless glob in your mouth.
As stated, I'm not frontin', all I'm saying is: enjoy this stuff, but it is kinda sad that a lot appearantly don't know that much other music if they overestimate this bands value so much.

pretty much the opposite of what i said, but posts some gifs maybe then it'll become clear

Yeah thats not what you are saying AT ALL.

We like plenty of other music tyvm. Now shoo with your generalizations, and fail psychological analysis.......

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

We know 1D isnt going to last, and we know that their music is mainstream pop. I dont think any of us are saying that they are actually the saviors of music or the next Beatles , lol. That was just an inside popgaf joke

Booya

Neo Member
We know 1D isnt going to last, and we know that their music is mainstream pop. I dont think any of us are saying that they are actually the saviors of music or the next Beatles , lol. That was just an inside popgaf joke

fair enough! enjoy it than, sorry for disturbing the hype. keep on rockin.

Delio

As stated, I'm not frontin', all I'm saying is: enjoy this stuff, but it is kinda sad that a lot appearantly don't know that much other music if they overestimate this bands value so much

Yeah see I know lots of other music. It seems like you are assuming I dont based on this. Also I didn't say anything about where they will be in a few years. I ment what you said about no adult knowing about them when they are everywhere. You kinda glanced over that.

Booya

Neo Member
Yeah see I know lots of other music. It seems like you are assuming I dont based on this. Also I didn't say anything about where they will be in a few years. I ment what you said about no adult knowing about them when they are everywhere. You kinda glanced over that.

was just leaving the thread, but sure, i owe you an answer. the obvious one first, yea its a big red button to call oneself adult but with 27 i may have achieved the right to call me that. second its prolly a country thing. living in germany it may be that we have our own 1D, i don't know that because i don't watch TV and the internet pages i read never mention them. I don't think I'm unique in my lifestyle so it could be that my theory is not that wrong.

wow those tattoos are terrible. They don't even look organized or particularly well done. did their marketing team just tell them to get some random tattoos?

i suggest they remove them and start over.

wow those tattoos are terrible. They don't even look organized or particularly well done. did their marketing team just tell them to get some random tattoos?

i suggest they remove them and start over.

A bit too late for that with Harry and Zayne.

I am fairly sure their management just lets them do their own thing when it comes to tattoo's and hair.

A bit too late for that with Harry and Zayne.

I am fairly sure their management just lets them do their own thing when it comes to tattoo's and hair.
that tattoo stuff can kill their popularity if they go chris brown/lil wayne level. it doesn't work with pop stars, especially boy bands me think.

i'm pretty sure they can get the best laser removal done though.

that tattoo stuff can kill their popularity if they go chris brown/lil wayne level. it doesn't work with pop stars, especially boy bands me think.

i'm pretty sure they can get the best laser removal done though.

Lol I don't think you fully appreciate the number of tattoo's they have at this point. If they can get them all removed I agree though. At the very least they need to take a break now. When they hit 25 they will probably hate them all.

(I actually like Zayn's ink....also like Liams forearm work)

Harry is the real disaster.

Lol I don't think you fully appreciate the number of tattoo's they have at this point. If they can get them all removed I agree though. At the very least they need to take a break now. When they hit 25 they will probably hate them all.

(I actually like Zayn's ink....also like Liams forearm work)

Harry is the real disaster.
is harry the dude with the curly hair, if so, yea. it's just a bunch of scribbles.

that one dude with the big forehead looks awkward standing to the next the rest of them. he;s the only one without fancy hair.

Yeah he got it chopped off. (liam)

Another ill advised move. Though I suppose having at least one guy with short hair gives them a bit more variety. He had the BEST hair of the group when they started (ok maybe Harry's was better).

Nlroh

Yeah he got it chopped off. (liam)

Another ill advised move. Though I suppose having at least one guy with short hair gives them a bit more variety. He had the BEST hair of the group when they started (ok maybe Harry's was better).

Harry's hair has always been the best.

Top Bottom