• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Why is DF such an insane beast? He clearly a level above Luffy in this arc...which is a first for OP. Luffy always managed to elevate himself to his limit to take out the boss, but this time DF has had many fights himself and many handicaps. Added to that, he has taken many blows from Luffy, much more damage from him and Law and come out of it...Pretty crazy.

Well he basically runs the criminal underground and most of the black market activity in the new world, right?

He's involved in the the slave trade, devil fruit trafficking, even development of WMDs apparently, and is the main supplier of Kaido's forces. Possibly also the source of the bomb that Crocodile had.

He's also one of the warlords and has at least two type of Haki (have any villains had more than one so far?), and has had mastery over them for a long, LONG time.

Anteater

If gear 4 having such a long cool down I don't see it being too efficient for the future fights, it's not like gear 3 where he shrink for a few minutes, and it's not even strong enough to defeat Dofy, with him going up against tougher folks in the future I wonder if he'll keep getting power level jumps/DF awakening and new gears soon.

NZerker12

Dat
Sabo
save

It appears gear 4 runs for about 20-30mins considering we saw that 20min skip in the earlier chapters luffy can last for a decent amount of time providing the enemy goes down in that time frame.

If gear 4 having such a long cool down I don't see it being too efficient for the future fights, it's not like gear 3 where he shrink for a few minutes, and it's not even strong enough to defeat Dofy, with him going up against tougher folks in the future I wonder if he'll keep getting power level jumps/DF awakening and new gears soon.

Keep in mind luffy stated he needs 10min for the boundman technique which may mean he has other techniques usable in gear 4.

Think Gears 4 has more variations, but yeah, he obviously didn't master it yet.

Nibel

So I think he'll switch the mode when he's done regenerating.

Also, Sabo.
p0QHO.gif

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
DF is the badass i always expected him to be. Crazy how some people here suggested that Luffy could take him down without help a couple weeks ago.

DF is a big fucking deal and likely the strongest non Admiral/Yonkou the Strawhats will face. Law isnt stupid, he waited a long ass time and collaborated with Luffy only to have a shot...not at beating DF but getting him into a state were Kaidou would wanna take him out.

Without any outsider interference DF would have mob the floor with Luffy - Gear 4 or not. DF has been a mayor player in OP for years and wants to be Pirate King himself...anything less than the current display would be disappointing considering how long he has been hyped up.

Which is totally fine...we are past the point were any technique should be able to just take out a mayor foe lie DF, this isnt east blue. But i agree that the current Gear 4 form is far from optimized...but against DF he has no other options and has to take the risk.

Nikokuno

Luffy didn't mastering the TPS cover system to regain his health faster :p

Nice chapter, but I think Burgess is no match at all for our saviour.

Yo, that was a good chapter. Always wondered if haki had a limit. Burgess wanted Luffy's DF, not Doffy's. Either for himself or Blackbeard. And this arc aint over yet.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Yo, that was a good chapter. Always wondered if haki had a limit. Burgess wanted Luffy's DF, not Doffy's. Either for himself or Blackbeard. And this arc aint over yet.

I would assume Doflamingo is offlimits for the blackbeard pirates simply because they don't want to piss off kaido

I would assume Doflamingo is offlimits for the blackbeard pirates simply because they don't want to piss off kaido

Right, forgot about Kaido. If and when he comes, hopefully he lives up to all this fear of him said by other characters. I want him to at least look terrifying, compared to the other Yonkous.

cw_sasuke

I really doubt the BB Pirates care...they screwed over the WB Pirates, Marines etc. - dont think they wouldnt aim for something just because of Kaidou.

They might need the Gum Gum Fruit and its awakening for a specific task.

I really doubt the BB Pirates care...they screwed over the WB Pirates, Marines etc. - dont think they wouldnt aim for something just because of Kaidou.

They might need the Gum Gum Fruit and its awakening for a specific task.

I think it's more likely that it's the silver medal. Burgess was in Dressrosa for Ace's fruit initially.

Nibel

Really creepy how DF doesn't even say a single word in this chapter; dude has fully gone killer mode. And yeah, agreeing with Sasuke here: DF is a fucking monster.

DF is the badass i always expected him to be. Crazy how some people here suggested that Luffy could take him down without help a couple weeks ago.

DF is a big fucking deal and likely the strongest non Admiral/Yonkou the Strawhats will face. Law isnt stupid, he waited a long ass time and collaborated with Luffy only to have a shot...not at beating DF but getting him into a state were Kaidou would wanna take him out.

Without any outsider interference DF would have mob the floor with Luffy - Gear 4 or not. DF has been a mayor player in OP for years and wants to be Pirate King himself...anything less than the current display would be disappointing considering how long he has been hyped up.

Which is totally fine...we are past the point were any technique should be able to just take out a mayor foe lie DF, this isnt east blue. But i agree that the current Gear 4 form is far from optimized...but against DF he has no other options and has to take the risk.
Dunno if I really agree with that part. If Gear 4 is mastered by Luffy, I think he can go 1 to 1 with Doffy.

On top of that, this isn't Luffy's fight like it was for Robin or to save Ace, he's still using techniques and strategies, we know Luffy is at his strongest when he's just going all out on the verge of death himself.

Not taking anything away from Doffy, he's a monster, but so is luffy, and so is Zoro.

cw_sasuke

I could see Luffy doing a brand new attack to take out Doflamingo. Hopefully a different Gear 4 form.

His next attack will finish the fight thats a given.

Dunno if I really agree with that part. If Gear 4 is mastered by Luffy, I think he can go 1 to 1 with Doffy.

On top of that, this isn't Luffy's fight like it was for Robin or to save Ace, he's still using techniques and strategies, we know Luffy is at his strongest when he's just going all out on the verge of death himself.

Not taking anything away from Doffy, he's a monster, but so is luffy, and so is Zoro.

This type of argument again ... reminds me of if Enel would have mastered X he would be the strongest...well but he hasnt xD same goes for Luffy. If.... but he hasnt mastered(?) Gear 4 yet and we dont know how the fight would turn out if this was the case/DoFla hasnt been wounded/ No Law support assistance.

And yeah Luffy is already going all out unless you are suggesting he is still saving up energy for post DoFla battle. Gear 4 was his trump card he had to play to really touch DF and even yet he needs 10 minutes to be able to finish off the fight...aka. without assistance he would probably done at this point.

Kworn

Banned
Oh My Ussop, i pray to thou, Please dont let this 10 minute become like "Namek Destroyed in 5 minute" thing. please dont let this final 10 minute become 10-25 chapter and 30 episode in the anime..

Please spare One Piece from the everlasting running gag of "5 Minute" in Dragon Ball. Because thou are the one true god, Ussop-Sama, Thou are the God of the King.
All Hail Our God, Ussop Sama, and his messenger, King Buggy.

The mindblowing shit is the fact that BB's crew can steal DF powers, and it wasn't a special "Blackbeard only" thing like what we saw in marineford.

The mindblowing shit is the fact that BB's crew can steal DF powers, and it wasn't a special "Blackbeard only" thing like what we saw in marineford.

It may be as simple as a combination of

1) kill Luffy while he's weak

2) hold the nearest piece of fruit because that's how to pass along actually works

That's assuming point 2 really is that straightforward.

jbug617

Banned
Sabo saved him. Fuck yes. I see this fight ending in 3 chapters (next chapter Luffy will get back his haki at the end).

It may be as simple as a combination of

1) kill Luffy while he's weak

2) hold the nearest piece of fruit because that's how to pass along actually works

That's assuming point 2 really is that straightforward.

yeah. I don't Burgess has the same type of power like Blackbeard has.

Well, Jesus acting as expected. Sabo is gonna kick the shit out of him. And I really hope this doesn't drag on for too long, maybe 2 more chapters maximum. This arc needs to end!!

Sabo saved him. Fuck yes. I see this fight ending in 3 chapters (next chapter Luffy will get back his haki at the end).

yeah. I don't Burgess has the same type of power like Blackbeard has.

Oh, of course not.

Either way i feel it's too simple a method if you just need a fruit near to pass "the devil onto", though we saw it with smiley on punk hazard.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Cool chapter. The one I read was out of order, so I saw Jesus burgess attacking Luffy first and was kind of confused. I like it though! It was cool that Luffy was about to put the finishing blow on Dofla as his Haki ran out.

There's at least 3 more chapters now, 1 involving Sabo vs. Burgess as Luffy gets carried around by various people who keep dying to Dofla, 1 involving Zoro finding the cage and breaking it, followed by Luffy's G4 rifleman to end it.

Also, maybe BB can "bestow" his power temporarily due to Awakening.

Makes you wonder, if the SH actually encountered DD sooner in their journey, they'd have all been wiped out from existence. This guy is just an unstoppable beast.

Makes you wonder, if the SH actually encountered DD sooner in their journey, they'd have all been wiped out from existence. This guy is just an unstoppable beast.

If this is the way forward for bosses in OP I am loving it. I have a feeling Luffy vs Kaidou will be like David versus Goliath...which will be cool. To surpass this Luffy will have to be the true underdog...weaker in every way than his foe. After that Luffy will be one of the biggest boys and be able to go toe to toe with anyone and give them an equal fight.

ethomaz

Banned
Little chapter... I want more :(

From what I see Luffy is already ahead Doffy in terms of power because Doffy didn't have any chance against Gear 4... the problem is that Gear 4 still have a time limit.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Pretty sure Burgess' devil-fruit-patterned sack there is just full of normal fruit. Ensures that when he kills a fruit user, it regenerates in the sack, due to proximity. Probably has a lot of types to increase their chances if they didn't know the correct matching fruit ahead of time. Assuming they indeed have to match.

daveo42

Banned
Fantastic chapter. All that silence from DF at the start taking his time to stitch up his insides to take out Luffy. That smolder the entire time. DF Is such an imposing character.

We all knew Burgess was going to be an opportunistic asshole just like BB was during the War of the Best. Wait it out and then go in for the easy kill to get what you want. No doubt his crew is powerful, but they seem to be taking any easy shortcuts they can to success. Smart, but I think all these unearned victories might catch up to them eventually. Nice save at the end by Sabo and the gladiator crew.

The haki bit was actually nice to see explained. Haki being a limited resource is smart, though there are hints of that earlier in the series, especially as Luffy was awakening to it pre timeskip. Nothing is ever completely broken, which is clearly a good thing.

Now time for Luffy to chill out for 10mins and regain his composure so he can blow up DF and save the day. This has probably been one of more intense and drawn out end fights in a long while. Definitely pushing Luffy to his absolute limits.

Squishy3

This is gonna be a loooooooooong 10 minutes.

Gladiators holding off Doffy, Sabo vs Burgess, in addition to a few pages every week of Luffy resting up.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Great chapter

Just like his captain, Burgess is opportunistic, waiting for the person they're after to be at their weakest before trying to take them out. Good thing Sabo had his Big Damn Heroes moment and saved Luffy
Doffy STILL isn't down. Guy's a fucking beast!

And yeah, I'm glad Haki can be limited. Doesn't make the fights too broken.

10 minutes huh... is that like 5 minutes on Namek?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom