• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinx

2rtNpWC.png
KuGsj.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if Kaido breaks the cycle.

"Oh, you powered up?"

*blocks Luffy's hit and tosses him away*

Honestly I know it'll never happen, but I think it'd be cool if Kaido just matches up too well against Luffy, so one of the other power three (probably Sanji since he's yet to get his moment) is the one to defeat him. Luffy is still the strongest and still Captain, but a neat deconstruction of the "The main character always fights the strongest guy" trope.

Also,
more Sabo doing stuff is a good thing. Him fighting Burgess just makes too much sense and he's always going to protect his brother. I think Oda is smart enough to know that you can't do the "My brother is dead!" thing again. Which is good, Sabo is a neat character with actually sensical motivation. It makes sense for him to be doing what he's doing.

daveo42

Banned
Honestly I know it'll never happen, but I think it'd be cool if Kaido just matches up too well against Luffy, so one of the other power three (probably Sanji since he's yet to get his moment) is the one to defeat him. Luffy is still the strongest and still Captain, but a neat deconstruction of the "The main character always fights the strongest guy" trope.

Also,
more Sabo doing stuff is a good thing. Him fighting Burgess just makes too much sense and he's always going to protect his brother. I think Oda is smart enough to know that you can't do the "My brother is dead!" thing again. Which is good, Sabo is a neat character with actually sensical motivation. It makes sense for him to be doing what he's doing.

he's also our major connection to the Revolutionary Army more so than Robin because Sabo's been with them for close to 15 years. I'm guessing we'll get a nice roundup of what's been going on and the connection that Robin hung out with Sabo and Dragon for the last two years, a conversation that seems to have not happened between Luffy and herself.

Kain

he's also our major connection to the Revolutionary Army more so than Robin because Sabo's been with them for close to 15 years. I'm guessing we'll get a nice roundup of what's been going on and the connection that Robin hung out with Sabo and Dragon for the last two years, a conversation that seems to have not happened between Luffy and herself.

Even if Robin stayed with the Revolutionary Army for 40 years she would still be useless as fuck.

Good episode, good save and good kryptonite for Luffy: amazingly strong for a short time then useless, just like gear third. With that kind of limitation he either gets stronger or gets help to defeat Kaidou, BB or whatever the endgame is.

360pages

Honestly Gear 3 and 4 don't seem that good. They are pretty much the SSJ3 to Gear 2 SSJ2. Sure they are stronger, but the time limit and drain put on the body from using it clearly show that they are for only completely desperate situations

Squishy3

Honestly Gear 3 and 4 don't seem that good. They are pretty much the SSJ3 to Gear 2 SSJ2. Sure they are stronger, but the time limit and drain put on the body from using it clearly show that they are for only completely desperate situations
It's pretty clear Gear 3 has pretty much no side-effect on post-timeskip Luffy.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Thing is the conversation probably will never happen unless it's forced by someone else. Luffy isn't the type of guy to really care.

Gear 2 also drains stamina super fast though

tumblr_inline_nocmnqeeks1qko83o_540.png

IT'S NOT THAT EASY, FAM!

Doflamingo is such a monster strength-wise, and yet he still shakes his boots when he hears the name "Kaidou".

I thought Gear 4th would have a bigger drawback, but Luffy is completely immobile and can't even use haki for at least 10 minutes.
If Luffy can't down Doffy before he reaches his limit, how can he hope to use it against even STRONGER dudes like Kaidou and Blackbeard? Just an interesting thought to ponder over.

Burgess is hoping in the ring! Doflamingo is disqualified due to interference!

But big bro Sabo comes in for the win, bruh.

Luffy has gotten stronger between every arc in the past. I don't see why those rules would suddenly change and he wouldn't be stronger in the next arc.

daveo42

Banned
Thing is the conversation probably will never happen unless it's forced by someone else. Luffy isn't the type of guy to really care.

My guess it'll be similar to when the crew found out that Luffy was Garp's grandson and was also the kid to the leader of the Revolutionary Army. Robin or Sabo will mention it and we might get some sort of side story at the end of the arc about it. Of course Luffy will either fall asleep or just keep stuffing his mouth outside of him yelling at Robin as to why she didn't tell him Sabo was alive to comedic effect.

smurfx

get some go again
hilarious that burgess wants luffy's DF when there are far more powerful fruits on the island like doflamingo's and pika's fruit. guess he sees luffy gaining fame and thinks it's all do to his DF.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
hilarious that burgess wants luffy's DF when there are far more powerful fruits on the island like doflamingo's and pika's fruit. guess he sees luffy gaining fame and thinks it's all do to his DF.

I actually though he would go after pica's fruit since he would be the most vulnerable right now. I also wouldnt be surprised if the admiral puts in some work to keep dofla away for the 10 minutes as well

I think Burgess has a bunch of fruits in his bag, and he's planning on collecting all of the strong devil fruits on the island.
He set his sights on Luffy because he was doing the most damage as of recent events.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think Burgess has a bunch of fruits in his bag, and he's planning on collecting all of the strong devil fruits on the island.
He set his sights on Luffy because he was doing the most damage as of recent events.

Sounds about right. Since Luffy said he needs one more hit to finish Mingo off I wonder how much damage he'd actually be able to do to the gladiators.

The cover with Law, Luffy and Monkey is basically this

giphy.gif

#dead

I don't Oda would highlight Luffy's recovery time just so he can finish off Doffy in one hit. I actually want Luffy and Doffy to trade some more blows before the curtain falls.
There might be more to it than what might happen.

Blackhead

Redarse
I don't Oda would highlight Luffy's recovery time just so he can finish off Doffy in one hit. I actually want Luffy and Doffy to trade some more blows before the curtain falls.
There might be more to it than what might happen.

The 10 minutes break allows both Luffy and Doffy to recover and Doffy can heal himself with his string power. The Gladiators will have to keep Doffy occupied during this recovery period or Luffy will have to strain himself again

The 10 minutes break allows both Luffy and Doffy to recover and Doffy can heal himself with his string power. The Gladiators will have to keep Doffy occupied during this recovery period or Luffy will have to strain himself again
No way those gladiators are going to keep Doflamingo in one place. He'll mow right through them. Sabo might help, but I don't think he can focus on Burgess and Doffy at the same time.

Doflamingo is probably the second biggest tank we've seen in One Piece after Whitebeard.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Doflamingo is such a monster strength-wise, and yet he still shakes his boots when he hears the name "Kaidou".

This doesnt necessarily mean that Kaidou would just one-shot DoFla or that he is THAT much stronger. Its more likely that DoFla was afraid because he knew that his collaboration with Kaido is essential and whatever he has been working for the last X-years would have been for nothing if Kaido attacks him.

DoFla has been hanging around big shots for quite some time and he wants to be Pirate King himself.

But from what we have heard Kaidou probably isnt the Yonkou you wanna have issue with ...lol dude wanted to confront the Whitebeard Pirates just before the War.

Also if you are expecting Luffy to get those kind of power-ups that will enable him to take on Yonkos on his own...you might be in for a surprise. This Arc has more or less confirmed that the Big Guys in OP wont be defeated without any kind of assistance and outside help. Its not like the rest of the world has been doing nothing the past 2 years and is just waiting to be defeated by Strawhats.

Thats what i love about OP - consistency. Kaidou, Big Mom, Shanks, Akainu etc. these dudes invested decades to get to where they are now in the OP world and rule the Grandline like Kings...i would hate it if any of them would get lose to the Strawhats without mayor assistance. Only exception are Blackbeard Pirates since this confrontation will likely be near the end of the Manga.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Man i love Blackbeard....but when we see him again and he uses the Gura Gura no Mi ability... :-/

LLShC.gif

His next attack will finish the fight thats a given.

This type of argument again ... reminds me of if Enel would have mastered X he would be the strongest...well but he hasnt xD same goes for Luffy. If.... but he hasnt mastered(?) Gear 4 yet and we dont know how the fight would turn out if this was the case/DoFla hasnt been wounded/ No Law support assistance.

And yeah Luffy is already going all out unless you are suggesting he is still saving up energy for post DoFla battle. Gear 4 was his trump card he had to play to really touch DF and even yet he needs 10 minutes to be able to finish off the fight...aka. without assistance he would probably done at this point.
meh, I'll wait and see how it plays out...I'm not saying he's even with Doffy btw, but I think they both could kill each other 1 v 1, I don't think it's as lopsided as you suggest.

And yes, the "if" is hypothetical, it's based on Law's comment about him using too much Haki in that form. A better balanced Gear 4 could be equal with Doffy, all I was saying.

This arc man...equally frustrating and amazing. The setup is real though, and all of Luffy's Colosseum friends here are definitely going to support him once he
becomes a Yonkou
and has a sphere of influence of his own. I think Barty could be in charge of this navy/force instead of becoming a Nakama. Besides the fact that he probably couldn't physically handle being around the Strawhats 24/7, he's the perfect supporting character for the role imo.

Not sure how Oda is gonna top the sheer epicness of this arc besides the finale, but I'm hoping the next main antagonist will be Kaidou.

As for right now, can't wait to see some more Sabo! Although I'd love it, I think this is the absolute worst time for a Sabo flashback, so keep that saved for later Oda!

This doesnt necessarily mean that Kaidou would just one-shot DoFla or that he is THAT much stronger. Its more likely that DoFla was afraid because he knew that his collaboration with Kaido is essential and whatever he has been working for the last X-years would have been for nothing if Kaido attacks him.

DoFla has been hanging around big shots for quite some time and he wants to be Pirate King himself.

But from what we have heard Kaidou probably isnt the Yonkou you wanna have issue with ...lol dude wanted to confront the Whitebeard Pirates just before the War.

Also if you are expecting Luffy to get those kind of power-ups that will enable him to take on Yonkos on his own...you might be in for a surprise. This Arc has more or less confirmed that the Big Guys in OP wont be defeated without any kind of assistance and outside help. Its not like the rest of the world has been doing nothing the past 2 years and is just waiting to be defeated by Strawhats.

Thats what i love about OP - consistency. Kaidou, Big Mom, Shanks, Akainu etc. these dudes invested decades to get to where they are now in the OP world and rule the Grandline like Kings...i would hate it if any of them would get lose to the Strawhats without mayor assistance. Only exception are Blackbeard Pirates since this confrontation will likely be near the end of the Manga.

You have an interesting point, however if BB is final boss, Luffy will take him on his own.

Now that I recall it, the general One Piece theme of teamwork and camaraderie against a single threat rings very true in this arc.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Zoro still has to do whatever he's doing to stop/delay the bird cage. There's also franky too.

Odds are Franky will use the SAD factory to slow down the birdcage since it can't be cut by the strings while Zorro straight out cuts it in two.

Doflamingo is insanely strong. This part of the fight reminds me of Ennies Lobby with Luffy recovering from Gear 3 only this time, with allies protecting him. I'm not surprised that Jesus Burgess stepped into the fight to take advantage of the situation. Sabo should be a good match for him although I'm wondering if Burgess will actually be beaten or if he'll simply retreat like the Blackbeard pirates have been known to do.

Luffy talking about he could run away, where is he going to go for 10 minutes lol...

Also, dunno if it's because I'm watching every week or not, but this seems like its dragging. And yeah, Gear 4 still is stupid to me. Gear 3 was border line stupid, so I was kinda hoping for cool Luffy again like Gear 2. Some of the fan art looks better than bounce man, really do hope there's more forms, and hope this is a much better read when I binge it.

Jarate

Banned
Also, since people aren't talking about it anymore, Gear 4 is such an awesome shutout to Bellamy and really is a big sign of respect for him.

He was one of my most hated enemies and now Oda makes me love him. How does he have this power

Luffy talking about he could run away, where is he going to go for 10 minutes lol...

Also, dunno if it's because I'm watching every week or not, but this seems like its dragging. And yeah, Gear 4 still is stupid to me. Gear 3 was border line stupid, so I was kinda hoping for cool Luffy again like Gear 2. Some of the fan art looks better than bounce man, really do hope there's more forms, and hope this is a much better read when I binge it.

Gear 2 is the coolest, but I don't mind 3 or 4. In fact, I like 4 more then 3.

Gear 5 better give him an afro

You guys don't think Jesus was going after Luffy because his fruit would fit him the best? Dude has the whole wrassler thing going on, rubber would be perfect.

Also not particularly jazzed about more waiting but Doffy is absolutely ridiculous. His insides are ruined, he's been tossed around like a rag doll. And hes about to just musou these fools.

Jarate

Banned
You guys don't think Jesus was going after Luffy because his fruit would fit him the best? Dude has the whole wrassler thing going on, rubber would be perfect.

Also not particularly jazzed about more waiting but Doffy is absolutely ridiculous. His insides are ruined, he's been tossed around like a rag doll. And hes about to just musou these fools.

I'd imagine all the fruits would be helpful

I think he mainly targets strawhat cause there's no consequence to him doing that. You steal from Doffy, and if he wins, that might piss off Kaidou and also the world government

You steal from the straw hats, and you piss off Zorro (He doesnt know about Sabo)

I think it was just a simple, hey might as well try it attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom