• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys don't think Jesus was going after Luffy because his fruit would fit him the best? Dude has the whole wrassler thing going on, rubber would be perfect.

Also not particularly jazzed about more waiting but Doffy is absolutely ridiculous. His insides are ruined, he's been tossed around like a rag doll. And hes about to just musou these fools.

Nah, most of the devil fruits would work for him. Fire, spring, Fujitora's power: lots of abilities on Dessrosa that'd work well for him.

Jarate

Banned
The anime really needs a good filler arc to get better pacing

I know most people hate filler, but man, this is early Naruto Shippuden tier pacing going on.

Also, since people aren't talking about it anymore, Gear 4 is such an awesome shutout to Bellamy and really is a big sign of respect for him.

He was one of my most hated enemies and now Oda makes me love him. How does he have this power

Gear 2 is the coolest, but I don't mind 3 or 4. In fact, I like 4 more then 3.

Gear 5 better give him an afro
lol...If Gear 4 has multipe forms, I would think it's pretty much the last Gear he would ever need. Oh, one more I guess for his awakening ability, Luffy has to name everything.

I know most people hate filler, but man, this is early Naruto Shippuden tier pacing going on.

The problem is they haven't had any filler arcs. Not really. About 30 episodes worth an in an anime, especially one that long, it's nothing. But the problem they find themselves in is that the filler is either organic (it ties into the real plot) or omake. And since half the straw-hats, and the sunny aren't even near Dressrosa anymore, what can they do for filler?

Don't mention Shippuden. It was so terrible with glimpses of good that It makes me sick to my stomach. Can we ban shippuden in OP threads loll. Seriously, Screw Shippuden though, i'll take One Piece's hour-long eye staring and scanning anyday!

Jarate

Banned
The problem is they haven't had any filler arcs. Not really. About 30 episodes worth an in an anime, especially one that long, it's nothing. But the problem they find themselves in is that the filler is either organic (it ties into the real plot) or omake. And since half the straw-hats, and the sunny aren't even near Dressrosa anymore, what can they do for filler?

Sanji and Chopper find a spooky pirate ship in the middle of the ocean that's HAUNTED

Luffy and Zorro go to find a mysterious cave and have to fight a bear

the possibilities are endless
I wont watch any of it

Sanji and Chopper find a spooky pirate ship in the middle of the ocean that's HAUNTED

Luffy and Zorro go to find a mysterious cave and have to fight a bear

the possibilities are endless
I wont watch any of it

Throw Brook into center stage and have the ghosts all be scared of him for 5 episodes and I might watch.

Probably won't watch any of it though. The anime in general has had it's art quality go to shit, the filler would be even worse. I'd just skip it :p

I'd imagine all the fruits would be helpful

I think he mainly targets strawhat cause there's no consequence to him doing that. You steal from Doffy, and if he wins, that might piss off Kaidou and also the world government

You steal from the straw hats, and you piss off Zorro (He doesnt know about Sabo)

I think it was just a simple, hey might as well try it attack

Well if you kill Luffy you think Dragon is gonna let that slide? Though you're right they don't know all that and don't seem to care much. But to that same extent he could've easily taken Law's fruit, the fellow had no arm. They're all helpful, fruit-wise of course, but being a brawler and wrassler like he is who just watched Luffy toss Doffy like he was a pillow you'd think he'd be more interested in something like that.

Plus stealing from Law wouldn't do anything since his alliance with Luffy killed his shichibukai spot. This was honestly all just my theory on going for Luffy over someone like Law who was basically dead in the water, with someone he'd probably pretty easily beat guarding him.

Honestly I just want to know more about BB and his crew at this point, hopefully more of them pop up with the whole Big Mom and Kaido stuff.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Also, since people aren't talking about it anymore, Gear 4 is such an awesome shutout to Bellamy and really is a big sign of respect for him.

I don't buy this at all, if you mean Luffy respect, not Oda. Gear 4 was complete before Luffy ever came to Dressrosa, he created it on his island of beasts. Bellamy is a complete non-factor.

And a schmuck.

I don't buy this at all, if you mean Luffy respect, not Oda. Gear 4 was complete before Luffy ever came to Dressrosa, he created it on his island of beasts. Bellamy is a complete non-factor.

And a schmuck.

He doesn't even qualify as a jobber. He's a JAG that got one cool moment.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
As Luffy said, he created Gear Fourth in order to fight off the wild beasts during the timeskip. Bellamy was not a factor. As the latest chapter showed, he hasn't used it before now as it clearly takes a lot out of him. Hell, 10 minute recharge time is pretty bad in the middle of a big fight.

He didn't use it on Hody as he could easily one-shot him, though he was taking steroids like candy so that fake strength kept him going.
Caesar required strategy as he could take away Luffy's ability to breathe, but he still took him out easily.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It makes you wonder just how much of a beast the Yonkous are if fucking Doffy is so strong and yet is piss scared of Kaidou
Remember Whitebeard? He was a Yonkou.

Yeah.

Metal B

Well Whitebeard also had the distinction of being the strongest man in the world as well, makes me kinda pissed that Blackbeard is one now considering he's such a cowardly figure pissing himself after being held by a half dead old man.
Blackbeard and his crew is everything negative about pirates: Cowards, backstabber, murderer, traitors, criminals, targeting the weak and profit on immorally. They are, as we all know by now, the mirror of Luffy and his crew, who represent all the positive and romantic aspect of pirates. They are the two extremes of the story and everybody else is set in between them, which gives the reader some perspective and scale.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Blackbeard is anything but a coward - he isnt afraid to show "human" emotion like being afraid or acting like a bitch from time to time. He chose the DF fruit that needs you to be able to tank the hit before counter attacking. Also he was quite protective of his own men and crew when they were going against Ace.

And lets be honest...99% would have their that shit being grapped and seeing Whitebeard up that close knowing he could OHKO. Hell most Pirates in OP lose their shit just being in the same area as a Yonkou.

BB has quite the ambition...so yeah being killed by an angry Whitebeard would have made all his scheming and planning for nothing lol.

Blackbeard and his crew is everything negative about pirates: Cowards, backstabber, murderer, traitors, criminals, targeting the weak and profit on immorally. They are, as we all know by now, the mirror of Luffy and his crew, who represent all the positive and romantic aspect of pirates. They are the two extremes of the story and everybody else is set in between them, which gives the reader some perspective and scale.

Your first sentence sounds more like you're describing Don Krieg.

I know what you mean though and I've discussed this before here on GAF, and I kind of agree, but also disagree about some points. Luffy and Blackbeard are mirrors in some ways, yes. Oda wanted you to have this image. The very first time we see Blackbeard, it's in a bar in Jaya with Luffy, and they order the same drink and the same pie, and BB says that the drink his horrible while Luffy says its amazing, and then vice versa regarding the pies. But Blackbeard is still to some extent about the romantic aspect too. Right after that bar in Jaya, Blackbeard said Luffy and Zoro "won", and screamed outright that a man's dreams never end, and telling them to ignore what anyone else says, urging them to follow their dreams and head for sky island. If those are not the words of a romantic man, then I don't know what is.

Blackbeard has enough in common with Luffy that it gives them similar goals, desires, and motivations even if they ultimately go about it different ways. Doflamingo feels like a "if I can't have it, I'm going to wreck it and rule over the ashes" kind of guy. Blackbeard feels like a "if I can't have it, I'm going to figure out how to get it another way intact" kind of guy. Still underhanded and manipulative but I don't think he's as dedicated to destruction. I think he really wants to be king and reap the benefits.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Blackbeard has enough in common with Luffy that it gives them similar goals, desires, and motivations even if they ultimately go about it different ways. Doflamingo feels like a "if I can't have it, I'm going to wreck it and rule over the ashes" kind of guy. Blackbeard feels like a "if I can't have it, I'm going to figure out how to get it another way intact" kind of guy. Still underhanded and manipulative but I don't think he's as dedicated to destruction. I think he really wants to be king and reap the benefits.
Doflamingo only destroys things which get in his way. He'd much rather rule over things and be in complete control. He's like an evil version of Greed from fma. Especially since he does seem to cherish his crew

360pages

I think Blackbeard is supposed to be a contradiction to himself. He is super brave doing and attempting half the shit he does. But also shows that he is a huge coward when push comes to shove.

He is shown to be nearly heartless at times with greed and power, but yet is easily one of the most romantic characters in the series.

cw_sasuke

I think Blackbeard is supposed to be a contradiction to himself. He is super brave doing and attempting half the shit he does. But also shows that he is a huge coward when push comes to shove.

He is shown to be nearly heartless at times with greed and power, but yet is easily one of the most romantic characters in the series.

BB is one of the more human characters for sure, i like every scene he is in. Dont know if would call him heartless though - we havent seen him destroy or kill people just because of it. He want to be Pirate King and is willing to kill for eat if necessary (RIP Thatch) but if possible he is shown to "cooperate"....sure he must have known that Ace would decline but before their battle he offered him to join his crew or to just let it be.

The way he was able to convince and recruit so many strong allies in mirrors Luffys Adventures even though he obviously went about it different ways.

BB is a show-off and often overestimated himself (Impel Down encounter)... i think power wise he will be more or less unstoppable at the end of the Manga but his human traits will somehow result in his "defeat"....

BB is one of the more human characters for sure, i like every scene he is in. Dont know if would call him heartless though - we havent seen him destroy or kill people just because of it. He want to be Pirate King and is willing to kill for eat if necessary (RIP Thatch) but if possible he is shown to "cooperate"....sure he must have known that Ace would decline but before their battle he offered him to join his crew or to just let it be.

The way he was able to convince and recruit so many strong allies in mirrors Luffys Adventures even though he obviously went about it different ways.

BB is a show-off and often overestimated himself (Impel Down encounter)... i think power wise he will be more or less unstoppable at the end of the Manga but his human traits will somehow result in his "defeat"....

I felt like that village he 'ate' and dumped at Ace was destruction just for destructions sake. That's not the worse thing though. Eustis claimed to kill whole scores of people if anyone laughed at him. He seems like a cold killer.

cw_sasuke

I felt like that village he 'ate' and dumped at Ace was destruction just for destructions sake. That's not the worse thing though. Eustis claimed to kill whole scores of people if anyone laughed at him. He seems like a cold killer.

True, as said he is a show off and will go out of his way sometime to show how "cool" he is - reminds me of child sometimes. Then again Fodders getting killed as collateral damage is a given with fights on this scale.

At the end he is a Pirates and kills people(Fodders)...but its rarely he is main intent like with Kidd for example.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'm watching the G8 arc of the anime for the first time now.

It's amazing so far.

Edit: And I keep on getting malwarebytes alerts saying it blocked a malicious website: img.cryptlife.com , when I load this page :|

I'm watching the G8 arc of the anime for the first time now.

It's amazing so far.

Edit: And I keep on getting malwarebytes alerts saying it blocked a malicious website: img.cryptlife.com , when I load this page :|

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that I should try that arc. What episode numbers are they at?

Strange about the malwarething; no images on this page and iirc GAF avatars always get uploaded to GAFs servers.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I was watching the Skypeia arc. I miss those days. There's is tons of humor and just interactions between all the crew members. Everyone was doing something fun. The crew just got to Upper Yard, they're doing tarzan yells/jokes, Chopper being in awe of Zoro's atheist-ness, and goofy action. Watching the episodes now in contrast just makes me depressed.

Dugna

I was watching the Skypeia arc. I miss those days. There's is tons of humor and just interactions between all the crew members. Everyone was doing something fun. The crew just got to Upper Yard, they're doing tarzan yells/jokes, Chopper being in awe of Zoro's atheist-ness, and goofy action. Watching the episodes now in contrast just makes me depressed.

Well back then the focus of the story was completely 100% exploration, after thriller bark it started on this stupidly long storyline with the marines. I mean we get the marines are powerful and are a threat, but I can't remember the last time canon wise where the Straw Hats just explored an island and had fun.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Well back then the focus of the story was completely 100% exploration, after thriller bark it started on this stupidly long storyline with the marines. I mean we get the marines are powerful and are a threat, but I can't remember the last time canon wise where the Straw Hats just explored an island and had fun.

I think they should stick to 100% exploration and they just run into some super boss or whatever. It can be mixed, like going to Water 7 and Enies Lobby, it's just that we've been stuck on chasing after the big bad forever. It does not make for good anime.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Fishman Island?

Even that isnt it, they made it obviously about some greater scheme of the series. Before in the series the strawhats kinda just explored and stuff happened it wasnt obvious they were on any path.

?

Only towards the end, and even then most of the crew didn't know about the ancient weapon, iirc only Robin did.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Even that isnt it, they made it obviously about some greater scheme of the series. Before in the series the strawhats kinda just explored and stuff happened it wasnt obvious they were on any path.

That's exactly what happened though. They explored and stuff happened. They went there only because the log pose made them. Went shopping and oogled mermaids. Ran from the royal family because they thought they were in trouble. Accidentally held the king ransom and kidnapped the princess. Got stuck in the middle of a civil war that had nothing to do with them. It was all a very isolated event, whether or not it meant a lot for the future of the fishman people.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
One Piece spoilers

The cliffhanger is probably just
the dwarf princess healing everyone with her watering can/heal-heal fruit

cw_sasuke

Not really a fan Sabos interaction on this one...couldnt bother to show up when Ace was facing death but is commited to let no one else use his fruit ? There is probably an explanation because he couldnt or wouldnt try to rescue safe...still feels weird. Also letting half dead Luffy fight Dofla while being "busy" with <burgess.

If Burgess can keep up even a bit with Sabo it means that the BB Pirates also have made quite a Power Jump in the 2 years...Burgess and Co. were Fodders against Ace but he is "keeping up" with a near Admiral level Sabo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom