• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's exactly what happened though. They explored and stuff happened. They went there only because the log pose made them. Went shopping and oogled mermaids. Ran from the royal family because they thought they were in trouble. Accidentally held the king ransom and kidnapped the princess. Got stuck in the middle of a civil war that had nothing to do with them. It was all a very isolated event, whether or not it meant a lot for the future of the fishman people.

It was basically just a weird remix of Alabasta except with them being ludicrously over-powered compared to where they were then.

Not really a fan Sabos interaction on this one...couldnt bother to show up when Ace was facing death but is commited to let no one else use his fruit ? There is probably an explanation because he couldnt or wouldnt try to rescue safe...still feels weird. Also letting half dead Luffy fight Dofla while being "busy" with <burgess.

If Burgess can keep up even a bit with Sabo it means that the BB Pirates also have made quite a Power Jump in the 2 years...Burgess and Co. were Fodders against Ace but he is "keeping up" with a near Admiral level Sabo.

I mean what's not to get? He didn't think Ace would die or didn't know till after the fact or something, now he's commited to making sure his legacy stays with him and keeping, snerk, his flame alive. It's all very, very, veeeery Shonen.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I mean what's not to get? He didn't think Ace would die or didn't know till after the fact or something, now he's commited to making sure his legacy stays with him and keeping, snerk, his flame alive. It's all very, very, veeeery Shonen.

Its not that i dont understand why its presented this way...i just dont like it.

Metal B

It was basically just a weird remix of Alabasta except with them being ludicrously over-powered compared to where they were then.
I wouldn't say that, it is more like an What-if scenario of Alabasta: What if the Strawhats came much later to Alabasta, when Crocodile already took over the kingdom many years in advance. Dressrosa is about the antagonist trying to hold control of his kingdom, while Alabasta was all about a secret invasion. It is actually also a reversal, since Luffy and his allies are now the invading forces.

I wouldn't say that, it is more like an What-if scenario of Alabasta: What if the Strawhats came much later to Alabasta, when Crocodile already took over the kingdom many years in advance. Dressrosa is about the antagonist trying to hold control of his kingdom, while Alabasta was all about a secret invasion. It is actually also a reversal, since Luffy and his allies are now the invading forces.

I was talking about Fishman Island. Dressrosa is about destroying a kingdom while so far, all their adventures have been about saving them. So I would at least say that's an original aspect about it.

Nibel

Weren't both Ivankov and Inazuma assigned to deal with the whole Marineford war?

And nobody could have foreseen that Whitebeard gets attacked by his own man and the general craziness that went down during that event.

Weren't both Ivankov and Inazuma assigned to deal with the whole Marineford war?

And nobody could have foreseen that Whitebeard gets attacked by his own man and the general craziness that went down during that event.

Nah they were in jail, everybody thought they were dead.

Jigolo

Nice chapter I guess. Thought this would drag out longer. Totally unnecessary chapter but now that we're here I like the pace. Next chapter seems like the last one, almost every character is in position to do something.

Kain

Why isn't Fujitora doing shit to save these citizens? My biggest annoyance at the moment. Or is he actually doing something worthwhile that I forgot?

If he can't see them how can he save them????

bad joke but whatever xD

We need more Sabo-Luffy bromance moments.

So... any guesses on what Fujitora is sensing above him on that last page? Looks kinda like bursts of light...

Like someone else mentioned, it looks like the princesses healing tears power. I think the B-team is going to get revived and go all out protecting luffy.

Dugna

?

Only towards the end, and even then most of the crew didn't know about the ancient weapon, iirc only Robin did.

That's exactly what happened though. They explored and stuff happened. They went there only because the log pose made them. Went shopping and oogled mermaids. Ran from the royal family because they thought they were in trouble. Accidentally held the king ransom and kidnapped the princess. Got stuck in the middle of a civil war that had nothing to do with them. It was all a very isolated event, whether or not it meant a lot for the future of the fishman people.

I'm going to compare the entrance of the new world vs the entrance of paradise and reverse mountain here. When the strawhats first entered the grand line their goals where definitely set but overall they just went around exploring and having fun and ending up in big event but not planning what so ever really anything besides be strongest or be the king and such.

With the trip to and arrival at fishman island the crew basically has an overall plan of what they need to do to achieve their goals, Luffy actually researched and learned about the world more past "Pirates are cool and I like shanks."

Overall the islands from fishman and forward in the new world are shaped around the events of what happened in marineford some way or another, like how Fishman was only under that amount of danger of being taken over by hody because of the power vacuum of Jinbei losing shichibukai status and Whitebeard dying and not having his name over the island anymore.

So when Strawhats get there it isn't really "Oh my gosh look at this brand new island to explore that we know like nothing about" it's "Ohh look at this very pretty island we know some about and already know people from so lets visit and get involved in events that came from a previous event"

Tl;Dr While everything in one piece in the past was connected it wasn't as blatant as this. Also the crew knew less about the world which allowed for least in my opinion more fun events.

I just can't wait for islands like Wano and such because besides the current characters being introduce in dressarosa all we know of Wano is that it involves Samurai.

Interesting chapter. I guess this confirmed that Zoro can't really cut through the birdcage and the only way to stop it is to beat Doflamingo. I don't know how Luffy is gonna recover in time now though other than Mansherry but that just seems to convenient. Fujitora was definitely sensing something up above...could he be summoning meteors? Also it looked Doflamingo was struggling a bit at the end so I'm guessing his injuries are catching up with him.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good chapter
That panel where Doflamingo just utterly wrecked the gladiators looked amazing. Like something out of a horror comic.
I imagine Zoro and Franky will stall the Bird Cage long enough for Luffy to recover.
I believe the balls of light above Issho's head were Mansherry's tears. They were used for the main gladiators so it's likely they're being spread around the city.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
GAVjHSv.png

Dem conqueror's haki lines. I love noticing them now.

daveo42

Banned
Good chapter all around. Absolutely loved seeing Sabo wreck Burgess.

Getting down the wire with defeating DF and clearing the bird cage. Either we are going to see Zoro do something absolutely insane, Mansherry's tears fixing up Luffy ahead of schedule, or everyone holding back the bird cage long enough for Luffy to get one final punch in. Personally, I'd love to see Zoro flex a bit more and rip apart the bird cage, but my guess is option 3. Besides, a good number of fights in One Piece come right down the wire.

Wonder if we'll get Luffy back on his feet next chapter with how fast things are going now.

Nikokuno

First page is cool with Zoro using Haki playing against the bear. Don't remember seeing this until now and using it in real fight it's kinda cool, also the 'Busou' word might be his way to enhanced his Katanas like 'Koka' for Luffy.

Well, Sabo's skills still impress me and the way he's using the mera mera no mi abilities like he always does is remarkable. Future mi holder might be strong as hell can't figure out how the low level crew member will keep up...

Also, we need a meme 'This ain't Namek' now :D

My prediction was sorta spot-on. Only about two chapters for Luffy to fully recover his haki.

I'm not surprised that Zoro can't cut through the Birdcage even with haki. Doflamingo is on a higher notch of power than him, if it weren't already obvious. The best he can do is try to slow it down.

The panel where Doflamingo slaughtered and impaled the gladiators was menacing. No way in hell could they have even slowed him down.

MCD

Sabo is love. This panel redeemed an awful, stretch of a chapter:

50dBabd.jpg

Other than that. Seriously Oda, Enough is enough. End this arc already.

And wtf is Zoro doing? Pushing the cage instead of trying to cut it apart? Lol wut?

Good chapter
That panel where Doflamingo just utterly wrecked the gladiators looked amazing. Like something out of a horror comic.
I imagine Zoro and Franky will stall the Bird Cage long enough for Luffy to recover.
I believe the balls of light above Issho's head were Mansherry's tears. They were used for the main gladiators so it's likely they're being spread around the city.

I don't think so, because I have to imagine the 3 minute limit is already factoring in them slowing it down slightly, which means something else is going to have to happen to buy time. My bets are either somebody gets Mansherry to Luffy to restore his stamina quicker, or Bartolomeo pitches in to stop the bird cage as well with his barrier

Sabo is love. This panel redeemed an awful, stretch of a chapter:

50dBabd.jpg

And wtf is Zoro doing? Pushing the cage instead of trying to cut it apart? Lol wut?

I'd be more disappointed if the birdcage was something Zoro could actually cut through. It would destroy the tension of this entire situation

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm glad we got to see Doflamingo use more of his awakening, it was weirdly short-lived before. "Ha ha my new power!!!! *stomped*" Now he's kinda just a half-dead walking force of nature.

BatDan

I think it was established Zoro can't cut the Bird Cage strings. Thus pushing it is the most he can do now.

I've been thinking about why the anime is such a major failure these days while the manga is still awesome.

1. Pacing: This is what kills it the most. The 1:1 pacing since Thriller Bark has lead to episodes where stuff doesn't really happen. Scenes where it's just characters standing around. Thankfully there hasn't been anything like DBZ where there's like 5 minutes of powering up, but they've found other stalling tactics. Like filler scenes.
The 1:1 pacing really hurt Marineford and Fishman Island. Two well paced arcs that could have been done in half the time when animated.

2. Art failure: Even if the pacing was good, this is hard to get past. A while ago there was that image comparing the scene where Doffy and Issho leave for the palace with Law in tow. The manga scene was drawn beautifully, but the anime version looks like it was drawn by someone that broke their drawing hand so they had to use their other one and it came out as a mess.
The messy art has appeared all over the series lately. Scenes that looked badass in the manga end up looking bizarre, or the art in general is just bizarre. There's a picture of Robin floating around from the end of Fishman Island when she's talking to Neptune, and her tits look like basketballs. Checking the scene in the manga, that shot wasn't there. Speaking of tits...

3. Da Male Gaze: I'm not going to lie, Oda has gotten pervy. Nami doesn't wear shirts, Robin doesn't seem to like pants anymore, and there's Rebecca running around in a chainmail bikini. However, Oda doesn't actually waste time drawing pointless shots to focus on their assets. The anime on the other hand... Oooooh boy do they love their pointless gaze shots. I think the worst was when Robin turned back into a human after Sugar was knocked out. In the manga, it's just her turning back. The anime though decided to take time to focus on her ass and chest as she returned to normal.

I think it was established Zoro can't cut the Bird Cage strings. Thus pushing it is the most he can do now.

I've been thinking about why the anime is such a major failure these days while the manga is still awesome.

1. Pacing: This is what kills it the most. The 1:1 pacing since Thriller Bark has lead to episodes where stuff doesn't really happen. Scenes where it's just characters standing around. Thankfully there hasn't been anything like DBZ where there's like 5 minutes of powering up, but they've found other stalling tactics. Like filler scenes.
The 1:1 pacing really hurt Marineford and Fishman Island. Two well paced arcs that could have been done in half the time when animated.

2. Art failure: Even if the pacing was good, this is hard to get past. A while ago there was that image comparing the scene where Doffy and Issho leave for the palace with Law in tow. The manga scene was drawn beautifully, but the anime version looks like it was drawn by someone that broke their drawing hand so they had to use their other one and it came out as a mess.
The messy art has appeared all over the series lately. Scenes that looked badass in the manga end up looking bizarre, or the art in general is just bizarre. There's a picture of Robin floating around from the end of Fishman Island when she's talking to Neptune, and her tits look like basketballs. Checking the scene in the manga, that shot wasn't there. Speaking of tits...

3. Da Male Gaze: I'm not going to lie, Oda has gotten pervy. Nami doesn't wear shirts, Robin doesn't seem to like pants anymore, and there's Rebecca running around in a chainmail bikini. However, Oda doesn't actually waste time drawing pointless shots to focus on their assets. The anime on the other hand... Oooooh boy do they love their pointless gaze shots. I think the worst was when Robin turned back into a human after Sugar was knocked out. In the manga, it's just her turning back. The anime though decided to take time to focus on her ass and chest as she returned to normal.
We need One Piece Kai.

Bandini

It's honestly kinda embarrassing. I have a couple One Piece shirts and I get a lot of "Oh, I love that show!" It's hard for me to tell them I think the show sucks ass and they should read the manga instead, but I pretty much have to.

jbug617

Banned
So I assume Zoro and Franky are going to be able to stop the birdcage for 1 minute because it doesn't make sense. Chapter ends saying they have 3 minutes till the birdcage closes in but Luffy needs 4 minutes to recover.

Lunar15

I actually liked this chapter. It's become a more thrilling conclusion and doflamingo is rightly OP.

I imagine next chapter will be mainly about them stopping the birdcage for a minute and ending with Luffy being back into shape. Then the chapter after that will be the finale of the fight (hopefully).

This is a big arc, so it needs a big, impactful conclusion. It would be extremely disappointing and anti-climactic to rush through the climax of this arc.

Zoro can't cut the Birdcage if even Fujitora's meteors can't make a dent in it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
is doflamingo the only villain we've seen so far with at least 2 forms of haki?

One Piece is always HYPE but I just wanna see this arc end lol. I like it but it's been on too long and wanna see more of the New World. Makes me wonder what the longest arc is in OP since a lot of them seem to drag at some parts here and there.

Grexeno

One Piece is always HYPE but I just wanna see this arc end lol. I like it but it's been on too long and wanna see more of the New World. Makes me wonder what the longest arc is in OP since a lot of them seem to drag at some parts here and there.
Dressrosa is the longest arc if you don't consider Water Seven/Enies Lobby to be one arc

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Dressrosa is the longest arc if you don't consider Water Seven/Enies Lobby to be one arc
It's totally 1 arc, otherwise Water 7 arc would just be slightly OK instead of the best One Piece arc ever (ever). The anime in particular was done really well during this time frame.

Sigh. Wish the anime was still good.

Wow, kinda surprised actually. I guess reading the other arcs years ago kinda makes it feel around the same length more or less as some others. I'm kinda happy that this arc is ending pretty soon as it does feel pretty long.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I still watch the anime, because pacing aside, the voices and music will always be excellent.

It's totally 1 arc, otherwise Water 7 arc would just be slightly OK instead of the best One Piece arc ever (ever). The anime in particular was done really well during this time frame.

Sigh. Wish the anime was still good.

Most consider Water 7 and Enies Lobby to be separate arcs and same saga, much like Punk Hazard and Dressrosa.

It doesn't matter anyway, and personally I have no issue with Dressrosa being the longest. It's been an amazing arc and there's been (and still is) lots of stuff going on so I don't mind it continuing for a long while still.

robox

i always thought that one piece needs to broken down into compacted into a set number of episodes per season. with breaks between seasons to allow breathing room. that way, less filler is needed, gives teh manga time to develop more material, spend more per episode. fixes all problems.

except maybe the business side doesn't make sense, since it's a show that's on tv every single week.

BatDan

i always thought that one piece needs to broken down into compacted into a set number of episodes per season. with breaks between seasons to allow breathing room. that way, less filler is needed, gives teh manga time to develop more material, spend more per episode. fixes all problems.

except maybe the business side doesn't make sense, since it's a show that's on tv every single week.

That would be the better option now, but back in 1999 when this started, that was the most viable choice.
One Piece is a relic of its time. This type of schedule really only works for episodic shows like Doraemon and Chibi Maruko-chan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom