• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinx

And....

Nothing happened...

They slowed down the birdcage. BOOM! GODA.

post-49639-spongebob-waiting-gif-Imgur-co-tfl3.gif

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Set-up chapter.
It's mostly all the allies now joining Zoro and Franky in stopping the Bird Cage.
At least we get an explanation of Mansherry's powers, that way she isn't completely OP.
I wouldn't say "nothing" happened. I've seen "nothing" happen in other series.

Things that happened:

1. the birdcage got stopped for a moment.

2. everyone joined sides against dofla, marines and civillians included.

3. Rebecca and Violet are setting themselves up to get worfed.

4. Law is back with luffy to protect his buddy boy.

5. The healing thing got explained. (and it seems he's not getting healed because he's obsessively hunting Luffy, he's not paying much attention to the sky)

Now essentially all of this is set up for the next chapter or two (law, viola etc); but it still counts as "something". Boring somethings, but something.

BatDan

My guess is a break comes after next week's chapter when Luffy is revived and ready to kick ass.

This is the most likely scenario.
Next chapter ends with Luffy re-entering Gear Fourth
"One Piece will return in two weeks"

Next week: Luffy is about to activate Gear 5th, striking a new unfamiliar pose ... but just as he's about to transform he notices viola managed to stab Doflamingo, which was enough to take him down after the ridiculous damage he's taken so far.

"I guess I'll get a chance to try this out once we face a yonkou.. "

BatDan

It's possible that this was also setting up character development for Rebecca.
In one panel, it seemed to imply "if the time comes, I will fight, I'm sorry for disobeying your orders Father but I must fight". Something like that.

Syntsui

Viola will do something big, she's a jobber and her defeat would be too predictable. Oda is not Kishimoto, there IS something up.

Metal B

It's possible that this was also setting up character development for Rebecca.
In one panel, it seemed to imply "if the time comes, I will fight, I'm sorry for disobeying your orders Father but I must fight". Something like that.
It was never about fighting, it was about killing somebody. He didn't want her to kill, that's why he taught her somekind of pacifist fighting and she never killed anybody or even splattered blood in the arena.

daveo42

Banned
Decent setup chapter. The bit with Rebecca and Violet is quite interesting and I'm very curious how that will end up. I agree with BatDan that while both are potential jobbers in front of DF, Oda isn't like most authors and probably has something up his sleeve.

Then there's the curious bit with Law looking over Luffy with that last minute left. I was still expecting Mansherry's tears to fix Luffy right up in advance of the 10min mark, but we have Law left with Luffy and there's a chance something might happen there in this final minute. Then again it could all be just so more people could push the walls back, which is far more exciting to see as the whole town gets up and fights as opposed to Luffy just whipping the floor with DF.

And so...the wait continues.

Harmen

Fujitora is the worst Admiral ever. Even though Sakazuki and co. are not exactly the good guys, I am sure they would at least attempt (and probably succeed) to wreck Doflamingo instead of just pushing against his cage. Regardless of Doffy's positition, because he is actually attacking the marines with his cage as well.

I know it is all set up by Oda to let Luffy shine, but Fujitora is the only character that feels out of place here. And I would prefer it if Oda showed Zoro cutting birdcage and the threads reconnecting instantly or something like that, to make it all more convincing (I'll just tell myself that he did that off-panel I guess).

BatDan

Fujitora is the worst Admiral ever. Even though Sakazuki and co. are not exactly the good guys, I am sure they would at least attempt (and probably succeed) to wreck Doflamingo instead of just pushing against his cage. Regardless of Doffy's positition, he is actually attacking the marines with his cage.

I know it is all set up by Oda to let Luffy shine, but Fujitora is the only character that feels out of place here. And I would prefer it if Oda showed Zoro cutting birdcage and the threads reconnecting instantly or something like that, to make it all more convincing.

The World Government is likely so corrupt that even if Fujitora attacked Doffy out of self defense, they would still terminate him from the Marines (and possibly murder him)

demidar

Fujitora is the worst Admiral ever. Even though Sakazuki and co. are not exactly the good guys, I am sure they would at least attempt (and probably succeed) to wreck Doflamingo instead of just pushing against his cage. Regardless of Doffy's positition, he is actually attacking the marines with his cage.

I know it is all set up by Oda to let Luffy shine, but Fujitora is the only character that feels out of place here. And I would prefer it if Oda showed Zoro cutting birdcage and the threads reconnecting instantly or something like that, to make it all more convincing.

Yeah, Fujitora should wreck weakened Doffy despite Marines-Shichibukai relationship because even he don't he (and everyone else) will die.

Like, that's really dumb.

Harmen

The World Government is likely so corrupt that even if Fujitora attacked Doffy out of self defense, they would still terminate him from the Marines (and possibly murder him)

Yeah, well, I do think he is waiting things out to allow "criminals" like Luffy to do the job and prevent any political problems.

It is just that it is not very convinving to me at this point.

daveo42

Banned
Fujitora is the worst Admiral ever. Even though Sakazuki and co. are not exactly the good guys, I am sure they would at least attempt (and probably succeed) to wreck Doflamingo instead of just pushing against his cage. Regardless of Doffy's positition, because he is actually attacking the marines with his cage as well.

I know it is all set up by Oda to let Luffy shine, but Fujitora is the only character that feels out of place here. And I would prefer it if Oda showed Zoro cutting birdcage and the threads reconnecting instantly or something like that, to make it all more convincing (I'll just tell myself that he did that off-panel I guess).

Fujitora is in a tough situation where he knows what DF is doing to the people of the country and even to his own men but DF hasn't technically acted against the WG in any real or meaningful way. Since they both still work for WG, Fujitora could either remain as a dog of the military or fight DF and end up like Aokiji.

He basically has to pull a Smoker and look the other way to save the butts of his men and his own, else he becomes the enemy of the WG. My guess is that even includes so much as helping pirates in any way.

ffdgh

Yeah...I find it a bit weird fujitora just didn't outright cut the birdcage down. Heck the birdcage's resilience in general is unrealistic if it takes that many people plus an admiral just to briefly stop it. XD

MCD

Yeah...I find it a bit weird fujitora just didn't outright cut the birdcage down. Heck the birdcage's resilience in general is unrealistic if it takes that many people plus an admiral just to briefly stop it. XD

bird cage exists only to prolong this fight. oda please.

Squishy3

Okay so 6 minutes last week ... 3 minutes this week..

That'd put us at 1.5 minutes next week & thus half a minute of recovered luffy! Lewd.
No we'll get a minute next week and there'll be 30 seconds left.

And the chapter after that will spend 29 seconds showing Mansherry crying all over Dressrosa and everyone pushing the birdcage. And then Luffy will say "I'm ready." and then Oda will go on break.

BatDan

You mean like how Soul Catcher(S) was the "next big thing", or Kishimoto's Italian Mobster manga became a thing?
Oh wait, neither of those happened.
Your fucking gimmick is stupid.

BatDan

lmao what the fuck is Black Clover
KuGsj.gif

Fairly new manga in Jump.
It's extremely generic and mediocre. Yet somehow that mediocrity is enough as kids keep voting it high in the Jump Rankings. It got First this week causing everyone to freak out.

You mean like how Soul Catcher(S) was the "next big thing", or Kishimoto's Italian Mobster manga became a thing?
Oh wait, neither of those happened.
Your fucking gimmick is stupid.
How is it a gimmick when the TOC directly it has been a success? Soul Catcher(s) didn't take Jump by storm but it has one of the most rabid and dedicated fan bases, still going strong.

Can't wait for Fujitora to play du,b with the WG latter and say he didn't realize Strawhats were there.

Fujitora would you please do something? You're an admiral aren't you? Shouldn't you like, try to beat the weakened Doflamingo instead of wandering around aimlessly?

Syntsui

Fujitora would you please do something? You're an admiral aren't you? Shouldn't you like, try to beat the weakened Doflamingo instead of wandering around aimlessly?

It's ridiculous... He knows something important enough to make the WG kneel to him, yet, our friend Fujitora, working for the WG, doesn't even try to kill him in the best opportunity ever.

Oda has some explaining to do, because Fujitora is a mess of a character.

Why are people asking for Fuji to do more than what he is doing ?
He already said he not going to attack or beat don.
One of the reasons why is because he wants to get rid of the warlord system and beating don only makes it go in circles .

BatDan

One of the reasons why is because he wants to get rid of the warlord system and beating don only makes it go in circles .

Another good point.
I do remember that he plans to abolish the Warlord System, and he likely wants to do it without resorting to violence. Hence why he won't take on Doflamingo himself.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Another good point.
I do remember that he plans to abolish the Warlord System, and he likely wants to do it without resorting to violence. Hence why he won't take on Doflamingo himself.

Also all taking on Donfla would do is get him in trouble with his superiors and he'll need sway with them to accomplish his goals.

Lunar15

I think the whole thing with Fujitora is that he's a "blind judge". He has opinions of morality but does not interfere unless told to by his superiors.

Also all taking on Donfla would do is get him in trouble with his superiors and he'll need sway with them to accomplish his goals.

Even if it don't get him in trouble you can bet the headline would be
New marine admiral save dressrosa after finding out pirate plot .
WG would go into super spin mode to make them self look good.

not to mention, by letting Dressrosa advance to this stage of disarray, he's now got one hell of a case against Shichibukai
but at this stage in the game he really ought to be doing something meaningful

Nightbird

Couldn't Law teleport people outside the Birdcage with his Room if he was more healthy (Lookin at you Mansherry, wink, wink)?

I know that he needs something outside since he's actually switching the position of stuff, but i think there's more than enough rubble outside by now to do that don't you think so?

Honestly, you need chapters like these to slow things down when there's a lot of events occurring at once. It's basically set up for volume reading.

I can tell that some of the members in here aren't used to reading a big One Piece arc as it comes out weekly.

How is it a gimmick when the TOC directly it has been a success? Soul Catcher(s) didn't take Jump by storm but it has one of the most rabid and dedicated fan bases, still going strong.

I've got some bad news for you.

The TOC doesn't work the way you think it does. :)

smh at anyone who thinks Fujitora would "get in trouble". Get in trouble with who? The only outcry would be from the few World Nobles that have some sort of deal with Doflamingo behind the scenes, but they are overridden by the Gorosei. Furthermore Sakazuki would back Fujitora instantly. Not to mention Fujitora is above the shichibukai in rank and has the authority to strip them of their title, just as he did to Law earlier in the arc.

Face it, Oda had no flipping idea what to do with Fujitora this arc. He wandered around aimlessly like an indecisive bum. He may want to form a case against Doflamingo, but does that justify an ENTIRE COUNTRY POTENTIALLY GETTING SLAUGHTERED? Yeah no. Fujitora is a terrible leader.

Honestly, you need chapters like these to slow things down when there's a lot of events occurring at once. It's basically set up for volume reading.

I can tell that some of the members in here aren't used to reading a big One Piece arc as it comes out weekly.

I've got some bad news for you.

The TOC doesn't work the way you think it does. :)
What!? You mean it doesn't represent a general correlation of Jump's readership interest!?

Face it, Oda had no flipping idea what to do with Fujitora this arc. He wandered around aimlessly like an indecisive bum. He may want to form a case against Doflamingo, but does that justify an ENTIRE COUNTRY POTENTIALLY GETTING SLAUGHTERED? Yeah no. Fujitora is a terrible leader.

Sometimes to fix a problem that has been rooted in the World Government for years, a few sacrifices must be made. Fujitora is willing to endanger a few lives in order to achieve his goal of no moe Shichibukais. He already deeply resents and questions the World Government.

If any of you guys watch Game of Thrones, Fuji is like the Varys of One Piece.

What!? You mean it doesn't represent a general correlation of Jump's readership interest!?

According to Oda, not as much as we're lead to believe. The editors in Jump can usually place the series they want to promote as low or high in the rankings, regardless of actual fan feedback.

Nightbird

According to Oda, not as much as we're lead to believe. The editors in Jump can usually place the series they want to promote as low or high in the rankings, regardless of actual fan feedback.

Well yeah, those are the ones getting colour pages? Take those, and the ones with <7 Chapters out, and you have the actual ranking

Sometimes to fix a problem that has been rooted in the World Government for years, a few sacrifices must be made. Fujitora is willing to endanger a few lives in order to achieve his goal of no moe Shichibukais. He already deeply resents and questions the World Government.

If any of you guys watch Game of Thrones, Fuji is like the Varys of One Piece.
No Hancock =O
Boa-Hancock-image-boa-hancock-36532179-500-280.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom