• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well yeah, those are the ones getting colour pages? Take those, and the ones with <7 Chapters out, and you have the actual ranking

But it doesn't always mean the chapters of a series is well-received among the readers.
Thirdly, while we can be sure that the line-up in Jump is mostly based on the popularity of series, it has also been known that that isn&#8217;t the only thing determining a series placement in the magazine. As mentioned in the manga series Bakuman, which delves into the issues of creating a manga series for Jump, as well as a past SBS question to Oda and the Jump+ digital series Jump no Tadashii Tsukurikata, there&#8217;s more to it than just that.

The Editor-in-Chief of the magazine also has the power to choose the actual line-up of every issue of Jump. Apparently things like genre-monotony (having series with overlapping genres follow each other in the magazine), personal motivation (wanting to push a certain series more to the front of the magazine in hopes of having more people read it in order to increase popularity), and other reasons can also be taken into account. So while placement in the magazine isn&#8217;t the absolute way of determining a series&#8217;s ranking in terms of popularity, it is unfortunately the only tool at our disposal to determine how well-received a certain chapter was.
http://onepiecepodcast.com/2015/04/01/jump-files-one-piece-rankings-introduction/

Fujitora is the worst Admiral ever. Even though Sakazuki and co. are not exactly the good guys, I am sure they would at least attempt (and probably succeed) to wreck Doflamingo instead of just pushing against his cage. Regardless of Doffy's positition, because he is actually attacking the marines with his cage as well.

I know it is all set up by Oda to let Luffy shine, but Fujitora is the only character that feels out of place here. And I would prefer it if Oda showed Zoro cutting birdcage and the threads reconnecting instantly or something like that, to make it all more convincing (I'll just tell myself that he did that off-panel I guess).

Sakazuki believes in the marines official policy of "absolute justice" and follows the rules the letter. This means that he would uphold Doflamingo's rights as warlord, ruler of dressrosa and celestial dragon. Rather than helping the civilians he would be more likely to get Doflamingo out and issue a buster call. Absolute justice is insane as Kuzan explains.

Fujitora instead believes in blind justice which is more like the ideal of our own legal system. He ignores political power when deciding what is right whenever he can.

Nightbird

But it doesn't always mean the chapters of a series is well-received among the readers.

http://onepiecepodcast.com/2015/04/01/jump-files-one-piece-rankings-introduction/

So either it's well recieved, or it's getting an internal Push. Wouldn't be the first Time. Toriko recieved a fuckton of Push by Jump. Remember that Crossover with One Piece and Dragonball? Yeah, it was for that.

However, lets look at Black Clover. here are it's other Rankings in the Past few issues:

• WSJ ToC #22-23/2015: 07. Black Cover 11 (Colourpage)
  • WSJ ToC #24/2015: 06. Black Cover 12 (Colourpage)
  • WSJ ToC #25/2015: 03. Black Clover 13 -actual 2nd
  • WSJ ToC #26/2015: 11. Black Clover 14 - actual 10th
  • WSJ ToC #27/2015 (this week): 02. Black Clover 15 - actual 1st

to be honest last weeks sudden 10th Place is so out of place in this list that i can't make out if it's internal or actual feedback

People keep saying Laws sword is a possessed blade so I'm wondering if that will do anything. I really don't think he's gonna do that Ope technique where you give up your life to grant immortality to the other. It would be cool so Luffy will be immortal but it aint happening, kinda a boring chapter imo.

Cursed swords are probably a reference the sword smith Muramasa. The legend was that although his swords were top quality they drove the person who owned them insane to the point where they became murderers or killed themselves.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Couldn't Law teleport people outside the Birdcage with his Room if he was more healthy (Lookin at you Mansherry, wink, wink)?

I know that he needs something outside since he's actually switching the position of stuff, but i think there's more than enough rubble outside by now to do that don't you think so?

Wellll, have we ever seen him use Chambres through a solid wall? Or through a small opening? My guess is that the move isn't teleporting things, it's just moving them really fast. I seem to remember him cutting a hole in Punk Hazard before swapping into it. So I bet if you couldn't fit a human body between the birdcage strings, you couldn't swap your way out.

Viola will be controlled by Parasite and forced to fight Rebecca while Doffy wanders along. Done and done.

So either it's well recieved, or it's getting an internal Push. Wouldn't be the first Time. Toriko recieved a fuckton of Push by Jump. Remember that Crossover with One Piece and Dragonball? Yeah, it was for that.

However, lets look at Black Clover. here are it's other Rankings in the Past few issues:

to be honest last weeks sudden 10th Place is so out of place in this list that i can't make out if it's internal or actual feedback

Such a drastic change seems like the work of an internal push.
But I haven't started Black Clover, so maybe it was a good chapter.

$5 says that once Luffy recovers he'll have a different form of Gear 4.

I'm hoping for this.

Sometimes to fix a problem that has been rooted in the World Government for years, a few sacrifices must be made. Fujitora is willing to endanger a few lives in order to achieve his goal of no moe Shichibukais. He already deeply resents and questions the World Government.

If any of you guys watch Game of Thrones, Fuji is like the Varys of One Piece.
If Fujitora wants to make a case he has plenty of material to work with already. Plenty of shichibukai have abused their power in the past. One of the current yonkou rose to that position using the shichibukai title as leverage.

Oda seems to want us to like Fujitora and is trying to portray him as honorable, but if his idea of justice affords him to potentially sacrifice an entire country to make a point, then he is no better than Sakazuki.

Not to mention doing something like that would go completely against Fujitora's established character. This is the guy who prioritizes protecting citizens over taking down enemies - refer to the scene when he is first revealed to be an admiral.

The motivation for his actions that people are trying to pitch here completely contradict what's actually being shown. Not to mention there's been more than enough carnage to prove a point, so if Fujitora STILL isn't stopping Doflamingo it's only because Oda didn't think his inclusion in this arc through.

Why are people asking for Fuji to do more than what he is doing ?
He already said he not going to attack or beat don.
One of the reasons why is because he wants to get rid of the warlord system and beating don only makes it go in circles .

It's not about him attacking Doflamingo, it's about him stopping the bird cage and helping the people (the former of which he is finally starting to do). Earlier he was portrayed as a person who cares for the population and also for his men, however now he's just been dicking around watching people die.

Sakazuki believes in the marines official policy of "absolute justice" and follows the rules the letter. This means that he would uphold Doflamingo's rights as warlord, ruler of dressrosa and celestial dragon. Rather than helping the civilians he would be more likely to get Doflamingo out and issue a buster call. Absolute justice is insane as Kuzan explains.
If it was Sakazuki here instead of Fujitora, Doflamingo would already have a magma fist up his ass.

Sakazuki hates pirates. Absolute Justice is the philosophy that regardless of your actions, the mere act of calling yourself a pirate is a crime. It has nothing to do with following the rules.

It's not about him attacking Doflamingo, it's about him stopping the bird cage and helping the people (the former of which he is finally starting to do). Earlier he was portrayed as a person who cares for the population and also for his men, however now he's just been dicking around watching people die.

He is stopping the bird cage , the problem i see people having is they wanted him to stop it with his powers and i am not getting into that debate .
How was he dicking around watching people die when less than ten mins ago he was seen helping woman get her child chapter 785.

If it was Sakazuki here instead of Fujitora, Doflamingo would already have a magma fist up his ass.

Sakazuki hates pirates. Absolute Justice is the philosophy that regardless of your actions, the mere act of calling yourself a pirate is a crime. It has nothing to do with following the rules.

He won't have done anything since he still has to take orders .
It's why he told fuji he going to Mariejois and hold off don .
The WG control the warlords he can't do them shit unless he gets the go ahead .

EDIT also while we know the warlords have done a whole bunch of stuff the public does not since WG covers it up.
Or make it looks like they save the day , the evens that happening now to big to do either which help fuji case even more.

Doflamingo isn't just a pirate. If he acted against him he would be working against his orders and the establishment.

He won't have done anything since he still has to take orders .
It's why he told fuji he going to Mariejois and hold off don .
The WG control the warlords he can't do them shit unless he gets the go ahead .

Doflamingo isn't just a pirate. If he acted against him he would be working against his orders and the establishment.
Why are we pretending that the Gorosei wouldn't give permission to absolutely eviscerate Doflamingo in the face of these atrocities... Doflamingo may have been in the clear before, and he was even able to pull off a few tricks thanks to his connections with some world nobles, but he has far crossed the line already. He's trying to kill Fujitora. You think the government wouldn't approve retaliation? The only reason he doesn't have orders right now is because communication is cut off. The Gorosei were more than happy to spin the Alabasta situation in their favor; they would probably attempt the same now.

Why are we pretending that the Gorosei wouldn't give permission to absolutely eviscerate Doflamingo in the face of these atrocities... Doflamingo may have been in the clear before, and he was even able to pull off a few tricks thanks to his connections with some world nobles, but he has far crossed the line already. He's trying to kill Fujitora. You think the government wouldn't approve retaliation? The only reason he doesn't have orders right now is because communication is cut off. The Gorosei were more than happy to spin the Alabasta situation in their favor; they would probably attempt the same now.

We don't know what he has on the WG but it big enough to shake the world .
I think the WG looks out for there self first him trying to kill fuji takes second place to that.
If he was a normal warlord i would said they would have gotten rid of him but he had enough pull to trick the whole world and second highest person in the marines .
Going to very interesting to see what happens to don after this arc.
Also much harder to spin this compare to Alabasta .

smurfx

get some go again
think we will see another form of gear 4th next chapter. maybe this time luffy will use a depowered version but one that allows him to fight on a little longer.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
think we will see another form of gear 4th next chapter. maybe this time luffy will use a depowered version but one that allows him to fight on a little longer.

Luffy said he just needed one more hit.
Considering the shape Doffy is in now, it's likely one hit is all it will take.

smurfx

get some go again
Luffy said he just needed one more hit.
Considering the shape Doffy is in now, it's likely one hit is all it will take.
doffy is in bad shape but he is still tearing through powerful fighters like nothing. luffy won't be able to do anything to him in his base form. instead of becoming hulk like maybe luffy can just spread the air evenly to all his muscles and use some haki attack to finish off doflamingo. maybe luffy really steals bellamys spring hopper technique and uses that to finish off doflamingo. the bird cage will probably be really close so luffy can maybe use that to accelerate himself.

Oh God. I can already picture this dragging on forever in the anime.

"Episode 742: Panic! Rush To Stop The Birdcage!"
"Episode 743: Give It All You've Got! Everyone vs The Birdcage!"
"Episode 744: A Helping Hand! Admiral Fujitora Arrives to Slow Down The Birdcage!"
"Episode 745: It Stopped For A Second! Keep Pushing The Birdcage!"
"Episode 746: Nothing Happens! Did I Forget To Mention That The Birdcage Is Still Up?!"

Just shoot me.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
doffy is in bad shape but he is still tearing through powerful fighters like nothing. luffy won't be able to do anything to him in his base form. instead of becoming hulk like maybe luffy can just spread the air evenly to all his muscles and use some haki attack to finish off doflamingo. maybe luffy really steals bellamys spring hopper technique and uses that to finish off doflamingo. the bird cage will probably be really close so luffy can maybe use that to accelerate himself.

Zorro and the others will stop the birdcage long enough for Luffy to get his haki back, go Gear 4 and deal the final blow. It's just a matter of what move he uses.

"Episode 744: A Helping Hand! Admiral Fujitora Arrives to Slow Down The Birdcage!"
"Episode 746: Nothing Happens! Did I Forget To Mention That The Birdcage Is Still Up?!"

Just shoot me.

lmao those titles are great. I give it two more chapters before Luffy is ready to go. I give the anime 10 episodes before Luffy is ready to go.

Nightbird

Just shoot me.

you know what? fix 745 by cutting out "A Second", ad replace 746 with something else, and this could be real Episode Titles! haha

Mendrox

Just shoot me.

Except the last episode title... it will be exactly like this.

Just shoot me.

The really sad thing is from chapter 780 to now would have made for some great fucking eps if pace right :(

Just shoot me.

This is too accurate. Specially 744.

Squishy3

Just shoot me.
Yup. This is especially evident because of the last episode of the anime having Usopp set up the giant slingshot, but his last scene is asking Kanjuro to draw his face, compared to the manga where he sets it up off-panel and him asking Kanjuro is just a quick flashback that doesn't take up more than one panel after the shot already landed.

yeah, I don't mind the pacing so much with the manga but man I feel for anyone watching this arc. The last half is legit gonna fucking suck because Toei doesn't care about squandering hype. They'll make that 10 minutes last two months.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
It always freaks me out when I encounter a surprisingly well animated and entertaining episode of one piece nowadays. Shortly followed by depression.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It always freaks me out when I encounter a surprisingly well animated and entertaining episode of one piece nowadays. Shortly followed by depression.

I know right? Next week is probably going to go back to still frames and panning shots.
I would give money to see a One Piece adaptation that's faithful to the manga, has amazing animation (like Western Action Cartoon good), and is beautifully paced.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I know right? Next week is probably going to go back to still frames and panning shots.
I would give money to see a One Piece adaptation that's faithful to the manga, has amazing animation (like Western Action Cartoon good), and is beautifully paced.
Yeah, it's going to be terribly animated until the introduction of Gear 4; which will look incredible. Then it'll be crap again.

At this point I'd rather the anime be just a slightly animated version of the manga with music and voice acting, like this:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pvf7gPUv5Ks

Dugna

So watching Skypiea over again for the 10th time, and I kinda wonder, did Wyper and Cricket ever meet up after the events or even after the time skip? Also why were the kingdom's people ok with the king beheading Montblanc? I mean yeah it looked like he lied but you would think lies would atleast not have the effect of people wanting your head to be cut off.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So watching Skypiea over again for the 10th time, and I kinda wonder, did Wyper and Cricket ever meet up after the events or even after the time skip? Also why were the kingdom's people ok with the king beheading Montblanc? I mean yeah it looked like he lied but you would think lies would atleast not have the effect of people wanting your head to be cut off.

Montblanc went around telling his stories to everyone and was generally seen as a hero, so thinking he lied about all of it would really piss them off.

Cwarrior

Some great animation(sakuga) is already confirmed for next weeks episode.

No tv anime is even close to Western action cartoon good in terms of animation.

No japanese studio is going to spend $500,000 to $1,000,000 on a single episode.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Montblanc went around telling his stories to everyone and was generally seen as a hero, so thinking he lied about all of it would really piss them off.

Also he kind of led their king on a wild goose chase

No japanese studio is going to spend $500,000 to $1,000,000 on a single episode.
how much did something like Thunder Cats or Avatar costs?

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood was also amazingly animated. I really wish high quality was the standard. Or at least every popular manga went back and redid the anime right after the series conclusion.

Dugna

Also he kind of led their king on a wild goose chase

Even then it just seems insane, especially since it seems montblanc is the kind of guy to bring proof for his past stories. The only one I see being disgusting enough to behead montblanc is the king, citizens should've been just disappointed.

The reason they wanted his head cut off is because he lead to the death of many people. Can't remember the exact numbers, but they say Montblanc and the king had tons of ships with them, but when they arrived only the kings ship remained. They thought he lied about it all (which doesn't really make much sense but anyway) sentenced him to death for lying to the king and killing tons of people.

how much did something like Thunder Cats or Avatar costs?

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood was also amazingly animated. I really wish high quality was the standard. Or at least every popular manga went back and redid the anime right after the series conclusion.

The mythical budget isn't as important as most people think guys. Most of the time the culprit is...well, time constraints.

Cwarrior

Time constraints is a bigger factor in anime episode quality, then the budget myth.

how much did something like Thunder Cats or Avatar costs?.

Avatar the last airbender cost $1million per episode.

spondge bob cost $500,000 per episode.

western action cartoons have a lot more frames then an anime.

Syntsui

Read the entire War at Marineford again and wow, I forgot that Luffy actually owes his life to Crocodile,the dude went berserk after the marines tricked Squardo. Can't wait until they meet again.

Time constraints is a bigger factor in anime episode quality, then the budget myth.

Avatar the last airbender cost 1million per episode.

spondge bob cost $500,000 per episode.

western action cartoons have a lot more frames then an anime.
Geez...no wonder...I wish some billionaire fan would just donate to the Japanese studios. Both Naruto and One Piece deserve that level of budget.

360pages

Fujitora and Smoker legit exist to show that not all Marines are incompetent or crazy. They are characters that show outside the normal.

Like the Straw Hats are the exception to the Pirate those two are the exception to the norm of the marines. Fujitora and Smoker's crew exist so all of our contact with the marines won't be negative.

Also, I think Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night have the best animation I have ever seen in a animated project, and I watched Korra and what not.

Fujitora and Smoker legit exist to show that not all Marines are incompetent or crazy. They are characters that show outside the normal.

Like the Straw Hats are the exception to the Pirate those two are the exception to the norm of the marines. Fujitora and Smoker's crew exist so all of our contact with the marines won't be negative.

Eh, I feel like there are many, many more marines who aren't incompetent or crazy. I think there's a fine balance. There's Coby, the old woman who turns people into laundry, Hina (the girl that makes cages) etc., and even former marines like the giant that helped Robin and Kuzan.

360pages

Eh, I feel like there are many, many more marines who aren't incompetent or crazy. I think there's a fine balance. There's Coby, the old woman who turns people into laundry, Hina (the girl that makes cages) etc., and even former marines like the giant that helped Robin and Kuzan.

Oh that is true, but Smoker specifically showed up enough for him to be a prime example of that kind of thing.

Though I will be bias and say I don't care much for Coby as a character.

Oh that is true, but Smoker specifically showed up enough for him to be a prime example of that kind of thing.

Though I will be bias and say I don't care much for Coby as a character.

I was so happy when he left after the first story and I realized he wasn't going to be a crew member.

He's pretty cool now, though. I'm happy with how he's grown and I'm looking forward to what he gets up to in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom