• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, it's supposed to stop him from being naked; I don't think it's foreshadowing. It's just Oda making a very minor inconsistency into something plausible, which I think is clever. For all we know, Oda looked back at the explanation he gave for clothes not being damaged, and was inspired to expand it into an actual power.

Yeah, it's supposed to stop him from being naked; I don't think it's foreshadowing. It's just Oda making a very minor inconsistency into something plausible, which I think is clever. For all we know, Oda looked back at the explanation he gave for clothes not being damaged, and was inspired to expand it into an actual power.

So you're saying Luffy had awakening all along, and so did every other character, in particular the females whose bras always make it?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
From Volume 13's SBS

D: I've been thinking about a great topic for about 5 years now. And that topic is, "Why is it that in battle manga, the bottom half of people's clothes never get destroyed??!!"

O: If they fought naked, wouldn't it kind of change the emphasis of the manga?

Basically this

cntr

Banned
So you're saying Luffy had awakening all along, and so did every other character, in particular the females whose bras always make it?
no that's silly

it's not some serious theory about how Luffy always had awakening, it's just an mildly interesting/funny observation that awakening and devil fruits affecting clothes look like related ideas, even if no serious plot point will come of it

It's been discussed in this thread before, but Oda's made the female characters so weak and fanservicey it's almost unbearable. I hate everything about Nami, Robin, Rebecca, Shirahoshi, etc. since the time skip. I am crazy hesitant to have my daughter watch OP if she wants because of how women are portrayed. It was bad in spots (Nami/Kalifa in Enies Lobby, Nami at Thriller Bark) before, but it's terrible now.

I don't mind almost everything else mentioned in that Reddit thread or any of the complaints I normally hear. Just the females thing, man.
yeah, the female thing is a popular gripe as well. It's not as bad as some other manga, but yeah, I especially thought Robin early on was going to be part of the real power force.

Even Big Mom, seems to be some giant beast instead of a regular female. Meh, at least we have Boa kicking booty.

Jarate

Banned
It's been discussed in this thread before, but Oda's made the female characters so weak and fanservicey it's almost unbearable. I hate everything about Nami, Robin, Rebecca, Shirahoshi, etc. since the time skip. I am crazy hesitant to have my daughter watch OP if she wants because of how women are portrayed. It was bad in spots (Nami/Kalifa in Enies Lobby, Nami at Thriller Bark) before, but it's terrible now.

I don't mind almost everything else mentioned in that Reddit thread or any of the complaints I normally hear. Just the females thing, man.

Nami was never meant to be a fighter, she's also the only person on the crew who actually knows how to run the ship. She's basically the captain without being the captain, and also what hurts her is that she never trained physically like most of the to her strawhats during the timeskip, she basically learned weather a lot better.

Robin is always deemed to be a "assassin" character and not want who's super good at dealing with opponents head on. I don't think she's much of a person who likes to fight either, just that she sometimes has too. I betcha she's kind of sick and tired of the whole "fighting for her life' constantly thing after growing up with it her entire life.

And hell, this also ignores how Chopper, Brooke and Sanji have been delegated to doing nothing since the timeskip. I think Oda is just at a crossroads where he doesnt want to have the "each strawhat crew has to fight the other equal member of the antagonist" during every fight. It makes the battles to predictable, and if there's one thing I love about One Piece is even though it's a formulaic shonen, it's incredibly non-predictable beyond "Luffy fighting major villain"

The fanservice stuff is bleh to me, but I kind of like their designs right now, they remind me a lot of the disney cartoon sexy women like a Jessica Rabbit, and One Piece reminds me a lot like a Bugs Bunny cartoon. I can see the complaints though, but I think that everyone on the straw hats has kind of become more fan servicey in just not always in sexual ways. (Chopper became a lot cuter, Zorro looks more badass, Sanji grew a sexy beard, Luffy doesnt button up his shirt anymore)

I'd imagine the real reason he does it though is because Oda probably love boobs.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I miss Chopper, Brooke, and Sanji.

Here's hoping they start off the next arc in style.

Also, Wano arc is the most hype I've felt for a future arc since... ever, probably.

MCD

I thought Robin rocked during this arc.

Other than their bigger breasts and questionable outfits (and I am not talking about their regular ones like Nami's top, but more specifically the ones they wear in recent movies, just plain fanservice) I don't find their portrayal as horrendous as some say.

it's still too early anyway. reckon they will have a moment or two to shine pretty soon.

Harmen

I thought Robin rocked during this arc.

Other than their bigger breasts and questionable outfits (and I am not talking about their regular ones like Nami's top, but more specifically the ones they wear in recent movies, just plain fanservice) I don't find their portrayal as horrendous as some say.

it's still too early anyway. reckon they will have a moment or two to shine pretty soon.

I agree.

Some of the clothing design criticism I can understand though. But I am never really bothered by this. Nami in particular has been shown to willfully dress like that. Think of Paulie calling her out and her teasing him as an answer to annoy him. Also, characters like Sanji and Brook "objectify" her (and Robin) and they got their asses kicked plenty of times for just that. Both Nami and Robin clearly share their opinions and act like they see fit.

As for their talents. Nami was never a big fighter, her talents lie elsewhere and as Luffy put it once, they would be nothing without their navigator, at which she excels. Robin most of the time is not weak nor scared as far as I remember. And she often succeeds at her objectives. Still, I would've preferred to see her kick some ass head on this arc.

Not to say OP is perfect on this front offcourse. In general, some more top-tier female fighters would be great. However, there is a fair amount of important women in OP's world I think.

I have no hype for the Wano arc and I hope it actually isn't a thing. Just reunite the crew already
it might turn out to be very exciting though. Isn't Wano and the samurai connected to Kaido? And Sanji and the rest are on Big Mom's ship?

Dunno, I think the next arc might be no break with excitement. They probably won't even have a party in Dressrosa because, ya know, where's Sanji?!!!

I have no hype for the Wano arc and I hope it actually isn't a thing. Just reunite the crew already

They have to go to Zou first and meet with everybody else. HAVE TOO. Yes it's been less than a day IU since we've seen them, but it's been TWO YEARS in the manga since they've shown up.

Wano will happen after Kaido is defeated. I think X Drake is a huge player in the next arc, as well, since he's already at war with Kaido.

BatDan

They have to go to Zou first and meet with everybody else. HAVE TOO. Yes it's been less than a day IU since we've seen them, but it's been TWO YEARS in the manga since they've shown up.

Wano will happen after Kaido is defeated. I think X Drake is a huge player in the next arc, as well, since he's already at war with Kaido.

I do agree with X Drake playing a major role
He showed up in Caribou's side-story, and in Law's flashback, that's likely not a coincidence.

I'm hyped for whatever will happen next. I have faith in Oda <3 He will know what arc is for the best.

I do agree with X Drake playing a major role
He showed up in Caribou's side-story, and in Law's flashback, that's likely not a coincidence.

X Drake was in Law's flashback? Remind me, I've forgotten.

BatDan

X Drake was in Law's flashback? Remind me, I've forgotten.

He was the kid called "Dorry" that the Barrels Pirates called a brat. The one time you saw his face was when he escaped the Bird Cage and he has an X-shaped scar on his chin.
According to Aohige, Drake is pronounced "Doreku" in Japanese, that could be shortened to "Dorry".
The leader of the Barrels Pirates was Diez Barrels, and Drake's full name is "Diez Drake" (the X is the roman numeral for 10, and the Spanish word for 10 is Diez)

He was the kid called "Dorry" that the Barrels Pirates called a brat. The one time you saw his face was when he escaped the Bird Cage and he has an X-shaped scar on his chin.
According to Aohige, Drake is pronounced "Doreku" in Japanese, that could be shortened to "Dorry".
The leader of the Barrels Pirates was Diez Barrels, and Drake's full name is "Diez Drake" (the X is the roman numeral for 10, and the Spanish word for 10 is Diez)

Whoa, I must've missed that. I looked it up and it's in chapter 767 if anyone else is wondering.

Jigolo

Yeah I hope Zou is first. Big Mom should be the first emperor(ess) to go down. Also for some reason I just never gave a crap about the samurai characters. Kinemon and baby boy just don't belong IMO.

Yeah I hope Zou is first. Big Mom should be the first emperor(ess) to go down. Also for some reason I just never gave a crap about the samurai characters. Kinemon and baby boy just don't belong IMO.

Wano needs to be a mini-arc or not an arc at all TBH. Zoro gets to do enough already. An arc with JUST swordsman? Nah, it's a cool idea but it needs to just be it's own thing off in the distance. Get Jimbe, finish the Kaido/Big Mom fights and lets move on to the next part of the adventure. Wano would just be a furtherance of this current plotline IMO and it's dragged out for long enough.

Maybe Drake will be added to the alliance ala Kidd, Scratchman and Hawkins? If he has something against Kaidou and Kaidou is the next main antagonist...

Jarate

Banned
Wano needs to be a mini-arc or not an arc at all TBH. Zoro gets to do enough already. An arc with JUST swordsman? Nah, it's a cool idea but it needs to just be it's own thing off in the distance. Get Jimbe, finish the Kaido/Big Mom fights and lets move on to the next part of the adventure. Wano would just be a furtherance of this current plotline IMO and it's dragged out for long enough.

Wana isn't a "swordsman village" it seems to me that it's a samurai village (and they'll have super awesome Katanas cause they're Samurai). Samurai weapons are pretty varied, and i'd imagine Oda will make use of some of the weird stuff from that era

Plus, then we'll see Canon Bossy Luffy

Maybe Drake will be added to the alliance ala Kidd, Scratchman and Hawkins? If he has something against Kaidou and Kaidou is the next main antagonist...

What if they have to fight Kaidou and Big Mom at the same time!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Well they do have to go to Wano to drop off Kinemon and the others at some point.

Squishy3

Well they do have to go to Wano to drop off Kinemon and the others at some point.
I could see there being a sword-fight between Kin'emon or the best swordsman in Wano or something to see if Zoro is worthy of wielding the sword. This'd obviously align with Zoro's interests as he'd be chomping at the bit to prove himself to another swordsman that fights similarly to Ryuma. But yeah, it should be a short little thing, ala Long Ring Long Land.

Agreed, and really, momonosuke and kinemon could be gone for all i care.

Jarate

Banned
Also, Ive been thinking of some things

as you may know, a lot of characters are named after certain pirates or naval fighters. But it didn't hit me until recently that Trafalgar is also has one of these names.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Trafalgar

I don't think that the battle itself is of any importance, but basically, the British won against an allied Spanish and French force in a huge naval battle, but the part that interested was the death of this man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horatio_Nelson,_1st_Viscount_Nelson

Basically while pushing forward and winning the battle, Vice Admiral Nelson died from a gunshot wound while still giving out orders decisively and this is probably the most famous person from this specific fight.

I think Law is gonna sacrifice himself to help the Strawhats beat Doffy ;-;

and also of not from the wikipedia article

In Season 1, episode 11 of Monty Python's Flying Circus, several Gumby characters argue that the battle was fought on dry land near Yorkshire, with Sir Francis Drake and the German fleet as combatants.

Drake confirmed for showing up!?

Take all this with a grain of salt btw, the characters who do have references to other pirates and navy persons I dont think relate to them at all, just wanted to point out the history

Squishy3

It's pretty clear Law isn't going to die in Dressrosa. He's fine. If he's going to die now it'd be in the war against Kaido. (Becuase that'll obviously be a war.)

Law is going to die by using the Ope Fruit's immortal ability to save Luffy from dying from the gears once Luffy becomes Pirate King.

132.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom