• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think CP0 left the island before the Bird Cage started.
They haven't been seen since, and considering how close the Bird Cage is now, it's nigh-impossible that they're hiding.

Plus Sanji and the others are probably luring Big Mom away from the island.

Dugna

Older topics for a sec, Kuro basically created Morgan which lead to Helmeppo existing where he did, which lead to Zoro meeting luffy and joining his crew basically starting the straw hats as we know it.

So thanks Kuro you were good for something besides being a dick to Kaya.

Yes this is something that I actually finally noticed after so long, Oda is pretty good :D

I don't know if you guys follow them, but the One Piece Podcast is having a One Piece Readthrough where they re-read chunks of the story from the beginning.

It would be neat idea if we tried something like that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't know if you guys follow them, but the One Piece Podcast is having a One Piece Readthrough where they re-read chunks of the story from the beginning.

It would be neat idea if we tried something like that.

So like a book club, I know Tolkien-GAF is doing one. We could make weekly reading assignments and try to get through, say a saga a month. Like the East Blue saga would run a month, then the Alabasta, then Jaya/Skypiea and so on and so forth. It sounds like a great idea, I'd totally be in.

So like a book club, I know Tolkien-GAF is doing one. We could make weekly reading assignments and try to get through, say a saga a month. Like the East Blue saga would run a month, then the Alabasta, then Jaya/Skypiea and so on and so forth. It sounds like a great idea, I'd totally be in.

A saga a month is manageable. If more people are up for it, it could be a fun experience to catch new details we might have missed.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Franky's flashback is my favorite. Not only is it sad and powerful on its own, it leads directly into Robin's. And it has Iceberg!

It's also unique from most of the others in that since Franky is already an adult, he's around Luffy's current age in his flashback.

800599550.jpg

Look at that lovable crew.

Robin=Brook>Chopper>Nami=Franky>Sanji>Luffy>Usopp=Zoro

For saddest backstories :(

Robin for the heartbreaking reunion with her mom and Brook for being alone for so long. Chopper is a very close second.

Squishy3

I'm a sucker for Robin and Nami's, just because the situations they end up in are a result of everything they did falling apart.

Still an amazing scene.

hqdefault.jpg

Franky's flashback is my favorite. Not only is it sad and powerful on its own, it leads directly into Robin's. And it has Iceberg!

It's also unique from most of the others in that since Franky is already an adult, he's around Luffy's current age in his flashback.

http://yahoo201027.weebly.com/uploads/2/0/1/8/20186193/800599550.jpg[IMG]

Look at that lovable crew.[/QUOTE]

It's great, but good god they look so bad in the anime. The manga drawing of that very scene was a million times better. Iceburg and Franky's face look so silly in that picture.

Kater

Banned
I like Chopper's flashback the most. Hiluluk and Kureha are such wonderful characters.

---

tumblr_npppnxW00g1u95nmuo1_1280.jpg

The Dellinger cosplayer did a really good job at portraying him.

IHaveIce

Banned
I still think some of the stuff in the character flashbacks have to play a significant role.

Franky's parents or his modification of body.
Dr Hiluluk and his past as thief
Robin's mother
Ofc Luffy's Father

I think these are quite interesting.

Also we know no parents of Zoro, Nami ( well not their real ones at least) or Sanji.

they can't be all orphans can they?

Rereading, waiting for Oda's Wild Ride to end. And you know what? Drum Island arc is underrated as hell. Powerful stuff.

Recently started reading the manga myself, and Drum Island's volume, along with the two next ones, were the first I picked up. Arc is awesome

Although the difference in the climbing the mountain scene was big compared to the anime. In the anime it was this long (but not boring) process of Luffy really struggling. The part where his fingers started to bleed and he fell made me cringe hard.

The manga gave one or two pages to it

Robin=Brook>Chopper>Nami=Franky>Sanji>Luffy>Usopp=Zoro

For saddest backstories :(

Robin for the heartbreaking reunion with her mom and Brook for being alone for so long. Chopper is a very close second.

Luffy's probably would be above Sanji's without Sabo being alive, but yeah, I can agree to this list

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The only backstory I feel legit sad about is Nami's. The others, not so much. Zoro in particular was just kind of hilarious.

Also, Rebecca is shit and she should be erased from One Piece and not to be mentioned ever again.

This isn't a contest, but Brook suffered the most out of all of them.

The fact that he didn't kill himself after spending all those years on that ship is a testament to how strong-willed he is.

Rebecca > Vivi. So glad she didn't join.

Rebecca literally has zero redeeming features unless you count ridiculous fanservice as a good thing.

This post is just .... no, so much no.

:edit

As for backstory's, I actually think the strongest standalone story is Chopper.

Nami & Robin have a bit of an emotional edge as you actually knew them a bit longer before discovering their actual story, but Chopper's really strong despite being a brand new character.

Those sakura trees man..

Hi guys since i will likely be spending the next 10 years coming here i thought this would be the ideal place for my first post (been trying to get an account for 1 year) :D

I have been watching/reading One Piece for the past 6 years and i must say that there has been no other piece of media that's given more enjoyment and just emotions in general than this manga.

Although OP is not at its absolute best right now im still enjoying the New World and its highest than ever stakes. Still, i must agree with the discussion a few pages back that Oda's treatment of women has been getting progressively worse (Rebecca -_-) and i wish he'd stop using the same tired tropes. These things detract a little bit from my enjoyment of OP but i still love it to death.

I also agree that Oda just has too many ideas and this arc for example has become quite bloated, ruining its pacing and making us all a bit tired of Dressrosa. He needs a good editor but i doubt he's gonna get one... so i hope he controls himself in the future and make the series more focused. This second half of OP can just be so good and he only has one shot at this, i trust he can pull it off.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I still don't understand the anger of the last chapter.
It was obvious Doflamingo was CONTROLLING both Viola and Rebecca with his strings. Doflamingo has been shown controlling Vice-Admirals, so this was child's play to him.

Lunar15

I still don't understand the anger of the last chapter.
It was obvious Doflamingo was CONTROLLING both Viola and Rebecca with his strings. Doflamingo has been shown controlling Vice-Admirals, so this was child's play to him.

The discussion wasn't really about what was going on, it was about why it was even going on in the first place. Some people found it unnecessary considering all of the other emotional hooks in place.

Jigolo

If you guys don't have anything else to read there is always Naruto

It's worth it this chapter if you've been following the Gaiden epilogue, loooooool

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The discussion wasn't really about what was going on, it was about why it was even going on in the first place. Some people found it unnecessary considering all of the other emotional hooks in place.

I guess it was a bit much... too much going on at once.

Cwarrior

Straw hat flashback storys

Brook > chopper >franky =robin > nami > sanji >zoro > ussop = luffy

theres a pattern were with each new straw hat the flash back storys kept getting better over time(exception being chopper's one that took a lot to beat ).

The flash backs are normal the best part of each arc especially in the anime.

The story of rebecca,soldiersan and king riku upto the revival of kyros was legendary.

Nightbird

Jep i think we are definetly about to get a Movie Announcement in the next Issue. I'm now 99% sure.

Strong world released in December 2009
Z was released in December 2012 = 3 year Gap

with another 3 year Gap we would be at 2015, so the timing would be good now for an Announcement if the Movie would open in December right?

Every body should know why it happen .
It was not about the emotional hook or anything else but making luffy have a awesome entrance .
The whole chapter was gear towards making him a star and having that .

EDIT hope the big news is about another movie , it's about time for it .

I'm still in.

Looks like it's just you and me for the time being, B-Dubs.

One Piece Volume 1

Such a great introduction to the world of One Piece. I'm already spotting a few bits of info that will be tied back to later in the series.

I find it funny how three characters technically died in the very first chapter.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

One Piece Volume 1

Such a great introduction to the world of One Piece. I'm already spotting a few bits of info that will be tied back to later in the series.

I find it funny how three characters technically died in the very first chapter.

I still think Shanks chasing off that Sea King was him using haki, even if the details weren't in place the basic idea was.

If I weren't knee-deep in Jojo right now I'd be down for a read. Heck, I may catch up at a later date anyway. I've actually never read most of the manga.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

One Piece Volume 1

Oh yeah, this never got entirely animated, did it?

Episode 4 (Luffy flashback) is one of my favorite eps, I should read this at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom